SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

ASU Diablo Dec 30, 2016 4:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 7663435)
Questions:
1) Will the Metrowest project (from the RFP) include any commercial or retail space? It would be nice to see Cibo-like eateries and businesses in the area.

Nice updates like always Jjs. I don't recall if they were going to contain retail but definitely included some live/work units.

Quote:

Should-be New News
The space between Steve's and 1st Street within the Regency Garage has been moving along in its transfer to PHX Commons, a mix of food, drinks, and other local products that seems to address both Adams and 1st Street which will be a huge change.

Is this the old Matador spot? If so, is PHX Commons a bar/restaurant concept? Finally good to see that spot filled.

Quote:

enHance is starting Phase 2 of 3. 7 stories at 1st and Portland (runs up to the dilapidated building closest to Hance). Hoping live/work is planned for all remaining phases. The city is planning street upgrades and it would be great to see the ambiance of W Portland extended.

What's the plan for the dilapidated building? Demo?

ASU Diablo Dec 30, 2016 4:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 7662998)
I asked but didn't get a response. And yes it will take up the entire space along McKinley Ave. As far as how many units are concerned, this was posted a while back by one of the members but don't remember. Hopefully development documents start popping up soon on the City of PHX website

Guess I should've just checked the website! http://www.unionatroosevelt.com

Move-in ready in February and the restaurant will be NCounter, a breakfast spot. They also have another location on Mill but I've never been and I've heard great things. Local restaurant and owners are ASU Alumni which is always a great thing!

CrestedSaguaro Dec 30, 2016 4:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 7663549)

I was going to ask the same thing. That building needs to go. It seems that the devlopers of En Hance would have done something with it. My guess is they don't own that spot?

Also, I noticed dirt already moving behind En Hance phase 1 when at the library the other day. So, it looks like the next phase is going to happen fairly soon. 7 stories is nice :tup:

CrestedSaguaro Dec 30, 2016 4:28 PM

Quote:

Old News
The Luhrs Marriott has been discussed and is a total eyesore. It looks like a terrible office midrise from the 80s and adds nothing but dimension to the aesthetic of the skyline. Yuck. Considering what was lost, this was a net negative to downtown.

It has been discussed. But discussing and seeing it in full context after it's almost completed and grasping at it's hideousness is completely different. We all new it was going to be a bland box, but the top half of the building (which we never got to see in the renderings) is just horrible! It's amazing the city allowed this design to go through.

I am really hoping something great with Barrister happens to take the eyes away from Luhrs Marriott. :yuck:

Obadno Dec 30, 2016 5:25 PM

[QUOTE=Jjs5056;7663435]

Central Park East is moving along, with the same parties from Lot 1 (Westin/Freeport) a part of the negotiations to split the remaining land into Lots 2 and 3 -- an 11 story hotel along 1st Street and 17-story residential building on Central. No brand was given, though the rumor here was Hampton Inn, and no details on any retail were given, but if both are built in one phase, I would take anything. With the other full lots to build on, I never expected these half-lots to fill. I do hope Central has at least 1 retail space since OCPE is simply a valet.
QUOTE]

Wow 17 story residential off Central next to the park ! Fantastic! Any news on Derby and Circles?

If the barrister plan goes through that would be 20 stories, Block 23 20 stories, CPE2 17 stories, Derby 21 stories and Circles 20 stories.

5 20 stories + a slew of midrise, 2017 is looking big for downtown.

Now if Chicago would just revive its Central station plan:P

Phxguy Dec 30, 2016 6:34 PM

I'm impressed with the lineup for next year and can't wait for the cranes to again criss cross the skyline. OCE and the Derby I'm most excited for. I can't wait for the day that these 20 stories are built further from Central Ave; I want the Presidents to see more height and a gradual progression of density leading into the core instead of the sudden jump from single stories to highrises back to single stories.

nickw252 Dec 30, 2016 9:08 PM

Where did the Central Park East information come from? Are there any permits or renderings? I did a quick google search and didn't find anything new.

ASU Diablo Dec 30, 2016 10:06 PM

$25m arizona center upgrade focuses on modernization, sidewalk experience

I don't think anything new here from what we already know...

http://dtphx.org/2016/12/30/25m-ariz...lk-experience/
Quote:

With the new year comes the transformation of one of downtown’s iconic structures: Arizona Center.

Built in 1990, Arizona Center spans two city blocks and is one of the largest assemblages of land in the Downtown Phoenix market. In 2015, the San Diego-based investment firm Parallel Capital Partners along with Angelo, Gordon and Co. purchased the 16-acre mixed-use complex, with plans to drastically upgrade the look and feel.

The proposed makeover could begin as early as Jan. 2017, and cost $25 million.

According to Matt Root, managing partner for Parallel Capital Partners, the refreshed design mirrors Phoenix’s changing urban center — catering to pedestrians, interacting with the sidewalk and maintaining connectivity to nearby amenities.

“We strongly believe that walkable neighborhoods with access to public transit, better commutes, and proximity to the people and places you enjoy are the key to a happier, healthier and more sustainable lifestyle,” he said.

The current facade along Third Street exemplifies part of Arizona Center’s introverted design, and is one of the areas targeted for changes. Instead of a sheer wall along the majority of the sidewalk with no retail or restaurant entry, save for a commercial loading dock, the space will be opened up with a valet parking entrance and glass walls.

Other upgrades include new landscaping, shade structures, lighting, outdoor Wi-Fi access, furnishings, wayfinding and branded signage, which will feature the new Arizona Center logo.

Aside from the the Grotto — the three-acre green space with gardens, fountains and water features — nearly every other element will change, according to Root. That includes the famous sandstone tiles featured throughout the complex.

“The goal is to create a more urban and modern feel,” he said. “The downtown destination will be a place that’s reminiscent of authentic Arizona, but revitalized.”

Concurrent with the planned refresh, Parallel is working with the city and numerous developers to increase residential, educational and hospitality density. On the 16-acre site, there are three parcels available: the southwest corner of Fillmore and Fifth streets, mid-block on Fifth Street between the parking structure and Two Arizona Center tower, and on the northwest corner of Van Buren and Fifth streets.

Potential developments for these sites could include high or mid-rise multi-family units, student housing, office space, specialty retail or a boutique hotel.

The opportunity to acquire the superblock, upgrade existing structures and add new developments offered one of the most compelling urban repositioning opportunities in the country, according to Root.

Parallel currently owns more than 2 million square feet of Phoenix office and retail space including Arizona Center, One North Central and City Square in midtown.

The investment group decided to purchase Arizona Center for $126 million last year based on the strong, ongoing partnership between Arizona State University and the City of Phoenix, along with the billions of dollars in private and public capital investments recognized across downtown in the last 10 years.

“This served as the element Downtown Phoenix needed to migrate from a stagnant 9-5 metro to a more vibrant 18-hour environment,” Root said. “Our plan is to create a new model for office, retail, residential and entertainment — an icon for a new era.”

http://dtphx.org/wp-content/uploads/...2/AZCenter.jpg
http://dtphx.org/wp-content/uploads/...etEntrance.jpg

ASUSunDevil Dec 30, 2016 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 7664159)
I don't think anything new here from what we already know...

The article doesn't mention that Gensler is doing the redesign. This is a brilliant use of $25m by the new ownership IMO - Gensler doesn't miss with any of their projects:

http://www.gensler.com/projects

ASU Diablo Dec 30, 2016 11:40 PM

Wow you weren't kidding. Their portfolio is impressive. I've always loved the Westin at DIA.

muertecaza Dec 31, 2016 3:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 7664116)
Where did the Central Park East information come from? Are there any permits or renderings? I did a quick google search and didn't find anything new.

The 11-story hotel seems to have gone through quite a bit of permitting already. It has been discussed on here going back a few pages. The 17-story residential information is new as far as I know from Jjs. I've not seen any renderings for either building.

nickw252 Dec 31, 2016 8:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muertecaza (Post 7664384)
The 11-story hotel seems to have gone through quite a bit of permitting already. It has been discussed on here going back a few pages. The 17-story residential information is new as far as I know from Jjs. I've not seen any renderings for either building.

I found the permitting on Phoenix's Planning and Development site. Looks like there's been a lot going on.

http://i63.tinypic.com/ooi35.png

biggus diggus Jan 1, 2017 6:40 AM

This is news I've never heard, very exciting! I've been in the neighborhood for over 20 years and only recently did I start feeling like I live in an vibrant urban center.

Jjs5056 Jan 1, 2017 9:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 7663549)
Nice updates like always Jjs. I don't recall if they were going to contain retail but definitely included some live/work units.

Is this the old Matador spot? If so, is PHX Commons a bar/restaurant concept? Finally good to see that spot filled.

Yes, the old Matador space. It sounds like more of a Duce/LGO concept where there is a store/retail component -- perfect for convention guests.

The dilapidated building on 1st Street unfortunately does not seem to be owned by SunCorp. On its own, I can't see much being built, so I almost think restoring it and letting it serve students or artists would be best.

As far as the news about Central Park east, it is in the minutes of a meeting via phoenix.gov; the City was involved due to ASU's ownership of the remainder of that lot.

--

Keep in mind many of these projects are from RFPs which have never gone well for the city. Also, the 2nd Barrister tower could range from 6-20 stories; as much as we all wish it were closer to the 2nd, I wonder if they keep waiting, whether the demand will exist? 6 stories on that lot would be very lame and hard to support a great retail mix.

AZ Center renderings look great, but I just wish that Valet was outward facing retail. The other major issues seem TBD- the theatre entrance, Fillmore frontage, garage, and empty lots. I love the new building on Van Buren which will have views of the Herberger. Also excited to see fake brand names in the renderings - Cityscape and Colliers have the restaurant market covered. Downtown needs clothes stores, etc. An H&M, Ace Hardware, Best Buy Express, Whole Foods, LA Fitness, GNC lineup sounds good to me (ha).

Final sentence- Cityscape seems to be struggling just as Colliers fills up. Jos A Bank and Verizon are gone, leaving UO and Charming Charlie's as the sole retailers. If not demo, I wish CVS opened elsewhere -- its footprint kills that first floor. And, the 2nd floor has pretty much been a bust on the office side.

exit2lef Jan 2, 2017 2:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 7665098)
Final sentence- Cityscape seems to be struggling just as Colliers fills up. Jos A Bank and Verizon are gone, leaving UO and Charming Charlie's as the sole retailers. If not demo, I wish CVS opened elsewhere -- its footprint kills that first floor. And, the 2nd floor has pretty much been a bust on the office side.

I also noticed that Jos. A. Bank had closed. It wouldn't necessarily attribute the closure solely to CityScape, though. The brand has been struggling due to excessive discounting, and a poorly thought-out acquisition by Men's Wearhouse hasn't made things better: http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...buying-it.aspx

The new Mexican restaurant to replace the Corner seems to be coming along nicely. Nevertheless, the entire western half of CityScape is really quite mediocre. The second floor entertainment tenants (Lucky Strike, etc.) are ridiculously hard to reach via hidden staircases and escalators, and the sides facing Jefferson and 1st Avenue are mostly blank walls, garage entries, and loading docks. It would neither surprise nor displease me to see the western block of the project demolished and replaced with something better in the next decade.

biggus diggus Jan 4, 2017 3:01 AM

According to Instagram jobot is now open at Roosevelt Point and OSB is gone. The space isn't warm and happy like a coffee shop, my guess is jobot customers flock there for a while before people realize a big reason OSB failed is the space and jobot falls apart.

Don't get mad at me for my prediction, I think it's reasonable.

exit2lef Jan 4, 2017 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7666820)
According to Instagram jobot is now open at Roosevelt Point and OSB is gone. The space isn't warm and happy like a coffee shop, my guess is jobot customers flock there for a while before people realize a big reason OSB failed is the space and jobot falls apart.

Don't get mad at me for my prediction, I think it's reasonable.

I'm not mad at you, but I don't agree about the space. I like the OSB site's abundance of natural light, high ceilings, and views of Roosevelt. I haven't stopped by yet, but it looks like there was some rapid work done to change the decor. As mentioned earlier, the biggest negative I see about this change is that Jobot's owner welcomes outdoor smoking. I'm still hoping that Roosevelt Point's management will intervene to stop that silliness. Although the new Jobot has already soft opened, there's a grand opening on Friday:

https://www.facebook.com/events/572772112927238/

Jjs5056 Jan 4, 2017 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7665238)
I also noticed that Jos. A. Bank had closed. It wouldn't necessarily attribute the closure solely to CityScape, though. The brand has been struggling due to excessive discounting, and a poorly thought-out acquisition by Men's Wearhouse hasn't made things better: http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...buying-it.aspx

The new Mexican restaurant to replace the Corner seems to be coming along nicely. Nevertheless, the entire western half of CityScape is really quite mediocre. The second floor entertainment tenants (Lucky Strike, etc.) are ridiculously hard to reach via hidden staircases and escalators, and the sides facing Jefferson and 1st Avenue are mostly blank walls, garage entries, and loading docks. It would neither surprise nor displease me to see the western block of the project demolished and replaced with something better in the next decade.

Yea, it's too bad RED didn't hold off on the PSP block until after the recession. I definitely agree that demolition is the best solution -- two cheaply built floors shouldn't be too much of a loss considering that they could add more office or residential on top of a new design (I don't buy the "air rights" excuse given for hacking the apts). At the very least, adding a 3rd floor to the southern building to reduce its depth would be a big help, as the claustrophobic sidewalks along 1st ave and Jefferson are both awful. Reorienting the 1st ave garage ramps to a more traditional entrance/exit would also help. And, finally, adding transparency through balconies and real windows on the upper levels would take away the prison chic style.

Working with what exists, I would at least like to see more retailers added vs. restaurants and office. An Apple store replacing DPP, some type of bar/lounge replacing V's, making better use of the space occupied by Alliance Bank, etc. I also think CVS is a total miss for the project -- its footprint is massive and creates the most amount of dead space, and a pharmacy inside Fry's will be more than enough to satisfy that service. I actually think one of the new Barnes&Noble restaurant concepts would be a cool fit given the park setting.

A CVS/Walgreens would be better suited near Fillmore -- are there any plans to replace the old bookstore in the University Center? I wish ASU used the ground level of that building better... a CVS, Papyrus, Best Buy Mobile, Bike Shop, etc. would be great additions across from the park.

mdpx Jan 4, 2017 11:59 PM

This discussion is ludicrous at this point. It's only 7-8 years old. It isn't coming down anytime soon. You bemoan the project and it's tenants, yet you hope Apple would move in. Why would they if the place is a shitbox? Regardless of it's flaws, CityScape has been a huge success and boon to downtown and it's a major catalyst for the urban vibe we have been talking about much of the past few years.

exit2lef Jan 5, 2017 2:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdpx (Post 7667791)
This discussion is ludicrous at this point. It's only 7-8 years old. It isn't coming down anytime soon. You bemoan the project and it's tenants, yet you hope Apple would move in. Why would they if the place is a shitbox? Regardless of it's flaws, CityScape has been a huge success and boon to downtown and it's a major catalyst for the urban vibe we have been talking about much of the past few years.

If the Diamondbacks can talk about a new stadium when Chase Field is only 19 years old, I can hope for a similar timeline at CityScape. To be clear, though, my wishful thinking concerns only the two-story western half of CityScape. The eastern portion, with its two high-rise towers, is better designed and should be maintained indefinitely.