SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

biggus diggus Mar 16, 2016 7:48 PM

It isn't.

PHXFlyer11 Mar 17, 2016 4:53 PM

Food Truck and Beer Garden Restaurant moving into Stoudemire's

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...er-garden.html

Good win! Hope it can survive. Quite the competition now downtown for Live Music venues.

biggus diggus Mar 17, 2016 6:33 PM

Speaking of restaurants, someone here said that Forno pizza was closing and someone else told me it closed but it definitely looks open right now. Wasn't a ramen shop supposed to open in front of those very expensive townhomes on 2nd and Roosevelt?

RichTempe Mar 17, 2016 9:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7374621)
Speaking of restaurants, someone here said that Forno pizza was closing and someone else told me it closed but it definitely looks open right now. Wasn't a ramen shop supposed to open in front of those very expensive townhomes on 2nd and Roosevelt?

I believe the ramen-noodle shop was supposed to open in the former Centurion/Bar Maximums space in Roosevelt Square. Nothing seems to have come of that however.:shrug:

PHXflyer Mar 17, 2016 9:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichTempe (Post 7374908)
I believe the ramen-noodle shop was supposed to open in the former Centurion/Bar Maximums space in Roosevelt Square. Nothing seems to have come of that however.:shrug:

SoSoBa still has downtown PHX listed as a location their website. Last mention of it on their Facebook page was early January and said they would be here soon. It also mentioned they are doing some catering in April in PHX so hopefully they are still moving forward

exit2lef Mar 17, 2016 9:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7374621)
Speaking of restaurants, someone here said that Forno pizza was closing and someone else told me it closed but it definitely looks open right now.

What I've heard is that Forno may be forced to close or relocate if the building is sold to make way for a new apartment building. Aside from here, the only other source I have is a blog notorious for exaggerating the negative about Phoenix, so I don't know if the news has been magnified through a pessimistic lens. In any case, there will be ground floor restaurant space in Union and other nearby buildings now under construction, so I hope a relocation, rather than a permanent closure, is possible.

ASU Diablo Mar 17, 2016 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7374983)
What I've heard is that Forno may be forced to close or relocate if the building is sold to make way for a new apartment building. Aside from here, the only other source I have is a blog notorious for exaggerating the negative about Phoenix

Do you have a link to that blog? Any other details on the proposed building and how much of the lot south it's going to take up?

LocoPhoenician Mar 18, 2016 2:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 7374458)
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...er-garden.html

Good win! Hope it can survive. Quite the competition now downtown for Live Music venues.

I work in Collier Center and noticed a lot of activity there and was wondering what they were doing there. I hope it does well, but with Suns attendance pretty bad that part of downtown doesn't get a lot of activity we will see if the Diamond backs bring.

exit2lef Mar 18, 2016 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 7375016)
Do you have a link to that blog? Any other details on the proposed building and how much of the lot south it's going to take up?

No details at all. The only mention I've seen is this brief one:

"Another troubling sign is that the delightful Forno 301 Italian restaurant is apparently being pushed out; the owner of the building is said to want to tear it down and build apartments."

Notice the words "apparently" and "said to." In other words, this sounds uncertain in terms of timing.

The quote comes from the Rogue Columnist blog, which I don't recommend reading regularly unless you can endure a lot of bitter nostalgia from a Phoenician in exile. I happened upon it while doing a search for news on Roosevelt Row.

http://www.roguecolumnist.com/rogue_...ked-again.html

biggus diggus Mar 18, 2016 1:26 PM

Seems made up to me, I've heard nothing about it and I know that building well.

Also lots of people "want to" build apartments.

CrestedSaguaro Mar 18, 2016 3:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7375545)
No details at all. The only mention I've seen is this brief one:

"Another troubling sign is that the delightful Forno 301 Italian restaurant is apparently being pushed out; the owner of the building is said to want to tear it down and build apartments."

Notice the words "apparently" and "said to." In other words, this sounds uncertain in terms of timing.

The quote comes from the Rogue Columnist blog, which I don't recommend reading regularly unless you can endure a lot of bitter nostalgia from a Phoenician in exile. I happened upon it while doing a search for news on Roosevelt Row.

http://www.roguecolumnist.com/rogue_...ked-again.html

Yea. I gave up on Rogue Columnist a while back. Lots of mis-information and longing for a Phoenix 30 years ago from a guy that has lived in Seattle for nearly as long. Pretty much basis everything on hearsay and media reports without actually seeing what is really being done in Phoenix. Not a good way to blog IMHO.

Anyway. Just read that Chick-fil-A will be opening a new location soon at the Dowtown ASU campus.

exit2lef Mar 18, 2016 8:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7375588)
Seems made up to me, I've heard nothing about it and I know that building well.

Also lots of people "want to" build apartments.

I decided to go to the source. I had lunch at Forno 301 today and talked to my server, who happens to be one of the three partners in the restaurant. English is not her first language, so our conversation didn't go into depth, but here's what I was able to discern:

-- The building was recently sold.
-- There hasn't been much communication from the new owner to tenants.
-- They think the new owner may decide to demolish the building to make way for a multistory building.
-- If that happens, Forno 301 may try to relocate. She mentioned some of the new restaurant space in new buildings under construction.

At this point, it's premature to say that the restaurant is closing -- only that its future is uncertain.

PHX31 Mar 18, 2016 8:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7376117)
I decided to go to the source. I had lunch at Forno 301 today and talked to my server, who happens to be one of the three partners in the restaurant. English is not her first language, so our conversation didn't go into depth, but here's what I was able to discern:

-- The building was recently sold.
-- There hasn't been much communication from the new owner to tenants.
-- They think the new owner may decide to demolish the building to make way for a multistory building.
-- If that happens, Forno 301 may try to relocate. She mentioned some of the new restaurant space in new buildings under construction.

At this point, it's premature to say that the restaurant is closing -- only that its future is uncertain.

Clearly that isn't one of the best buildings on Roosevelt, but it's a nice little building with slightly set back street fronting retail and restaurants. I fear this owner will demolish and nothing will ever happen, ruining the continuity of the best stretch of historic neighborhood/commercial in the city.

exit2lef Mar 18, 2016 9:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 7376133)
Clearly that isn't one of the best buildings on Roosevelt, but it's a nice little building with slightly set back street fronting retail and restaurants. I fear this owner will demolish and nothing will ever happen, ruining the continuity of the best stretch of historic neighborhood/commercial in the city.

I agree that would be the worst possible outcome, but I don't see that happening the way it did circa 2007. The predictably negative blog post cherry picked a few projects that seem to be moving slowly (but most of them are still moving) and ignored an equal number that are moving fast (e.g. Portland on the Park, en Hance Park, Proxy 333, Linear, Illuminate).

biggus diggus Mar 18, 2016 9:08 PM

So the building was sold and they are speculating that the sky is falling.

PHX31 Mar 18, 2016 9:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7376162)
I agree that would be the worst possible outcome, but I don't see that happening the way it did circa 2007. The predictably negative blog post cherry picked a few projects that seem to be moving slowly (but most of them are still moving) and ignored an equal number that are moving fast (e.g. Portland on the Park, Proxy 333, Linear, Illuminate).

I didn't even read the blog (until now) The Rogue Columnist is a kook in is own right. Mostly just a bitter old dude that writes the exact same muck about Phoenix all the time.

In this recent column not only is he cherry-picking the projects that are moving slowly (and disregarding all the fast-movers and ones under construction), he's completely ignoring that many of the positives of other cities that he lists actually are totally happening in DT Phoenix as well. He menitons tech branch offices and growing start ups... apparently he's never heard of Uber, WebPT, and everything happening in the Heard Building and Luhrs Tower. And that's just what I thought of off the top of my head in two seconds.

ASU Diablo Mar 18, 2016 11:08 PM

State could create tax district for new Coyotes arena near ASU or in Mesa or Phoenix

Not sure where to really put this post since talks about Tempe and Mesa now too. Looks like now they're trying to lobby for special legislation to help pay for the arena.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...w-coyotes.html
Quote:

Representatives of the Arizona Coyotes are talking to state officials about a creating a new financing district to help pay for a new arena for the National Hockey League franchise. That arena could end up being built in Tempe possibly in conjunction with Arizona State University, in Mesa near the Chicago Cubs spring training ballpark or a location in Phoenix, according to officials familiar with arena machinations.

“We have had exploratory conversations with a number of different governmental entities. However, we have not reached any agreements, even in principle, with anyone,” LeBlanc said in a statement. “We are also exploring some legislative options. However, nothing has yet been introduced. If anything is introduced, it will be location agnostic, and therefore not focused on any one location or jurisdiction.”

nickw252 Mar 18, 2016 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 7376281)
More updates on proposed Coyotes arena. Not sure where to really put this post since talks about Tempe and Mesa now. Looks like now they're trying to lobby for special legislation to help pay for the arena.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...w-coyotes.html

Any of those locations would be better than where it currently is located.

azsunsurfer Mar 18, 2016 11:56 PM

The Biz Journal recently reported that the organization is ready to make an announcement on the site selection in early April. I am not sure if the legislative proposal would cause a delay in the announcement or not. I am hearing they are leaning towards ASU/ Tempe...but had no idea Mesa Riverview was in the mix!

biggus diggus Mar 19, 2016 2:49 AM

Putting it in Mesa only shows they learned nothing from being in Glendale.