SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | Post Office Redevelopment (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192697)

Busy Bee Dec 4, 2014 3:07 PM

http://leblow.co.uk/wp-content/uploa...mery-Burns.jpg
_

sentinel Dec 4, 2014 3:16 PM

^So true

wierdaaron Dec 4, 2014 4:33 PM

It's great news that he finally wants to sell the thing, but it's crummy that he's trying to hold out for a huge profit. Sterling Bay is probably the best possible buyer for the building, and he turned down their $150M already. Anybody willing to pay more than that for it would have to be as crazy as Davies.

Ryanrule Dec 4, 2014 7:57 PM

There needs to be a use it or loose it law for assets of the wealthy. Great reward should involve great risk.

wmarczyk333 Jan 6, 2015 6:13 PM

Is the Old Chicago Main Post Office project dead? Because some web sites say that construction on phase 1 of 3 has begun.

SamInTheLoop Jan 6, 2015 6:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmarczyk333 (Post 6865175)
Is the Old Chicago Main Post Office project dead? Because some web sites say that construction on phase 1 of 3 has begun.

If what you mean is the prospect of multiple new construction towers on land adjacent to the post office building, that was never - ever - EVER!! :hell: - NEVER!!!!! - a real project to begin with - that was the English (or is he Scottish?) schmuck who owns the site (or is the real schmuck Danny Solis, Ald-Dumbassville?) trying to increase the value of his asset for eventual resale.......nobody who fell for that 'project' can claim they were not properly warned of the scam, from the very beginning......

wmarczyk333 Jan 6, 2015 6:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 6865184)
If what you mean is the prospect of multiple new construction towers on land adjacent to the post office building, that was never - ever - EVER!! :hell: - NEVER!!!!! - a real project to begin with - that was the English (or is he Scottish?) schmuck who owns the site (or is the real schmuck Danny Solis, Ald-Dumbassville?) trying to increase the value of his asset for eventual resale.......nobody who fell for that 'project' can claim they were not properly warned of the scam, from the very beginning......

well , that's not good news, but I hope Chicago will get something going, someday, we are loosing to New York fast. Old post office project dead, the spire is gone, only Wanda Vista looks like for now it will be here in few years.

SamInTheLoop Jan 6, 2015 6:44 PM

^ This thread is for intelligent, sophisticated discussion. Weird supertall-obsessed fanboys (it's like one of those odd Asperger's interests or something), there may not be all that much here for you........now, let's get back to keeping it 'classy'.....

Steely Dan Jan 6, 2015 6:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmarczyk333 (Post 6865203)
well, that's not good news

it's not good news.

it's not bad news.

it has never been news at all.

the fantasy of building 2,000' towers around the old post was just that: F-A-N-T-A-S-Y

we've already gone over this again and again. it was never "alive", so how can it now be "dead"?

Chi-Sky21 Jan 7, 2015 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmarczyk333 (Post 6865203)
well , that's not good news, but I hope Chicago will get something going, someday, we are loosing to New York fast. Old post office project dead, the spire is gone, only Wanda Vista looks like for now it will be here in few years.

May i suggest in the future, please read the previous few pages of a thread. That will help mitigate the abuse you take from certain "classless" armchair bullies on this thread.

Zapatan Jan 7, 2015 3:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 6865208)
^ This thread is for intelligent, sophisticated discussion. Weird supertall-obsessed fanboys (it's like one of those odd Asperger's interests or something), there may not be all that much here for you........now, let's get back to keeping it 'classy'.....

Why is it bad he's obsessed with supertalls? This is a skyscraper forum the many times I've checked.

Supertall buildings are the reason Chicago's skyline is what it is.

Quote:

NY is a much bigger city than Chicago where there is much higher demand and less space for everything so that's no surprise. Aside from Wanda, Wolf point and the spire site (Related's plan) are the -potential- supertalls. Perhaps the Jeanne Gang project will go through but from what I've heard it's dead. But don't quote me on that.

Hope that helps.

The Pimp Jan 7, 2015 4:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 6866153)
Why is it bad he's obsessed with supertalls? This is a skyscraper forum the many times I've checked.

NY is a much bigger city than Chicago where there is much higher demand and less space for everything so that's no surprise. Aside from Wanda, Wolf point and the spire site (Related's plan) are the -potential- supertalls. Perhaps the Jeanne Gang project will go through but from what I've heard it's dead. But don't quote me on that.

Hope that helps.

OK... El Zap. You've opened the door. Tell us what you know. But let's continue the discussion on the Wanda thread.

SamInTheLoop Jan 7, 2015 6:07 PM

Quote:

It's not a supertall forum. There are these people that jump around from city to city just looking for these tallest buildings. We need a new prominent website for you guys (I mentioned recently there used to be one called World's Tallest that I followed when I was a kid and thought this was actually important stuff) that will siphon you superheight fanboys off so we can get back to business and keep the conversation at a certain level of sophistication. A simple wish for the New Year, I suppose!

SamInTheLoop Jan 7, 2015 6:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pimp (Post 6866207)
OK... El Zap. You've opened the door. Tell us what you know. But let's continue the discussion on the Wanda thread.

Do you really think he knows anything? Just a supertall fanboy passing through. Nothing of consequence here.....

Chi-Sky21 Jan 7, 2015 6:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 6866379)
It's not a supertall forum. There are these people that jump around from city to city just looking for these tallest buildings. We need a new prominent website for you guys (I mentioned recently there used to be one called World's Tallest that I followed when I was a kid and thought this was actually important stuff) that will siphon you superheight fanboys off so we can get back to business and keep the conversation at a certain level of sophistication. A simple wish for the New Year, I suppose!

It is an architecture forum which INCLUDES supertalls. If that is what interests a particular person who are you to pass judgement? Or now instead of just your constant whining about pomo are we supposed to suffer your opinions on those on the forum also?

jc5680 Jan 7, 2015 6:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 (Post 6866402)
It is an architecture forum which INCLUDES supertalls. If that is what interests a particular person who are you to pass judgement? Or now instead of just your constant whining about pomo are we supposed to suffer your opinions on those on the forum also?

Counter point, the person in question has littered the Chicago threads recently with little more than references to supertalls and the in-his-head only supertall arms race between cities. It is never well reasoned and entirely noise.

Also worth noting, if you are not a fan of particular commenters on this forum, you can always choose to hide their comments in your account settings.

ChiTownWonder Jan 7, 2015 6:44 PM

Quote:

Perhaps the Jeanne Gang project will go through but from what I've heard it's dead. But don't quote me on that.

What is the Jeanne Gang project? i only know of the Wanda Vista that she designed. is it the same?

Chi-Sky21 Jan 7, 2015 6:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc5680 (Post 6866436)
Counter point, the person in question has littered the Chicago threads recently with little more than references to supertalls and the in-his-head only supertall arms race between cities. It is never well reasoned and entirely noise.

Also worth noting, if you are not a fan of particular commenters on this forum, you can always choose to hide their comments in your account settings.

Despite my dislike of some of certain peoples posts...OCCASIONALLY he has insightful opinions or comments. Besides, if one just chooses to see what he likes or wants to hear you will never learn anything. Much better to know as much as possible even if i do not agree. Then develop a more educated opinion myself later. But thanks for the handy tip, may need to look at what other options are in there now!

Ch.G, Ch.G Jan 8, 2015 5:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc5680 (Post 6866436)

Yeah. I mean, in Sam's defense, those kinds of comments really debase the level of dialogue in the Chicago threads. Feel free to give an opinion/ask a question like that, but don't be surprised by a) a non-response (some people get really upset when no one indulges their easily Googled queries) or b) blowback, which also constitutes an opinion worthy of expression. Sam's wit can be a bit acerbic at times, but I choose to be more impressed than offended by how well he expresses it.

The Lurker Jan 10, 2015 7:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 6866379)

I agree. Perhaps we could open a speculation subsection as well and divert all the wet dreams from the likes of Onn there. Real information is what I come to skyscraperpage for