SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | Post Office Redevelopment (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192697)

r18tdi Aug 2, 2013 5:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy24 (Post 6218857)
No offense but does Chicago need more antennas? Aren't Sears and Hancock enough? And also I would prefer a more unique design rather than just copying Sears.

The footprint of the tower is much more of an undulating triangle. Remove the antenna and it looks more like a Burj Khalifa ripoff than a Sears clone.

chris08876 Aug 2, 2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy24 (Post 6218857)
No offense but does Chicago need more antennas? Aren't Sears and Hancock enough? And also I would prefer a more unique design rather than just copying Sears.

I'm just glad Chi Town is getting some new developments in the supertall range. I'm sure the 2000 ft one will change design since its many years from even being UC. Who knows the market might change in that period and it might not even be a 2000ft. Time will tell but if its going to be the U.S. tallest at this point, I'm sure they will make sure it stands out one way or another.

Steely Dan Aug 2, 2013 4:47 PM

i've changed the titled of this thread so that newbies who don't know better stop getting suckered into believing that chicago is on the cusp of building a 2,000' tower.

Xing Sep 11, 2013 1:47 AM

What's that? Chicago is on the cusp of building a 2,000' tower!?!

SamInTheLoop Sep 12, 2013 5:20 PM

^ Yes that's right, financing wrapped up, pre-leasing very strong, all construction contracts and permits in place, this one is ready to go any day now.

Oh wait, wrong thread, sorry....

ih8pickingusernames Sep 17, 2013 8:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 6215797)
Build both :yes: . The sears look is what makes it look good. Its a taller looking Sears Tower and those thri antennas/spires are awesome

It's such a rip off it's pathetic. The architect couldn't think up his own design?

Juanses Sep 25, 2013 5:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 6219046)
The footprint of the tower is much more of an undulating triangle. Remove the antenna and it looks more like a Burj Khalifa ripoff than a Sears clone.

are you blind? looks nothing like Khalifa. lol

This is unapologetic brutalism at its best, minus the cement.

supertallchaser Jan 8, 2014 12:27 AM

any news on groundbreaking? or work in general?

Busy Bee Jan 8, 2014 1:12 AM

Groundbreaking? That's a bit like asking where you can buy one of those flying cars, don't you think?

supertallchaser Jan 8, 2014 8:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busy Bee (Post 6397833)
Groundbreaking? That's a bit like asking where you can buy one of those flying cars, don't you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo0MEQSGW8w

also noted any work in general so....

jcchii Jan 8, 2014 8:52 PM

each unit actually has an attached garage for a flying car

Steely Dan Jan 8, 2014 8:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcchii (Post 6398942)

and planted balconies to pasture each tenant's flying pig.

DonMendigo Jan 8, 2014 8:58 PM

Funny enough, I'm happy to read about flying cars. Sure the beats the hell out of discussing ad nauseum the design of public plazas, panhandling in Chinatown and Chicago's shopping experience all week.

Chi-Sky21 Jan 8, 2014 9:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonMendigo (Post 6398954)
Funny enough, I'm happy to read about flying cars. Sure the beats the hell out of discussing ad nauseum the design of public plazas, panhandling in Chinatown and Chicago's shopping experience all week.

:cheers:

supertallchaser Jan 9, 2014 2:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcchii (Post 6398942)

and has a maintanance center for quick fixes :yes:

Duck From NY Jan 9, 2014 5:06 AM

I know my fellow New Yorkers might rip me for saying this, but I think it's more fitting if Chicago has the nation's tallest building (not that it doesn't still by some measures).

SamInTheLoop Jan 9, 2014 4:00 PM

Which comes first: Successful Human Teloportation or Bill Davies' Post Office Plan

I've been reading up on some of the latest developments and thinking from the world's leading theoretical physicists, and I'd assign some pretty strong odds right now to teleportation...

wierdaaron Jan 9, 2014 5:38 PM

I say they should leave the post office as-is so it will be ready for when Gus Van Sant makes a shot-for-shot remake of The Dark Knight in a few decades.

SamInTheLoop Jan 9, 2014 7:08 PM

^ :haha:

Nice.

supertallchaser Jan 9, 2014 11:35 PM

ok heres one for you, what has a better chance revival of spire in march or construction of this in 10 years?