SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

azliam Feb 15, 2019 7:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8475811)
Ugh. Just took a walk around during my lunch and there are "Stop the Tower" signs EVERYWHERE. There are several down 3rd St and even a sign at Park Central.

I just want to get some "Stop the Nimby'ism" signs made and put them all over. :slob:

What the hell is wrong with these people?

combusean Feb 15, 2019 8:43 PM

I didn't realize it was still 2006 and we had to give low-tier developers like TrueNorth everything they wanted like free alley land for speculative, anti-urban schlock so their shoddy pro-forma pencils out or outright greed is satisfied.

The last thing this city needs is more arrogant developers who think they're somehow doing us a favor by eschewing community involvement and tossing out good design. I like it when their "projects" never materialize or get shot down.

biggus diggus Feb 15, 2019 10:46 PM

Enjoy your empty lots, then.

combusean Feb 15, 2019 11:03 PM

Mmmhmm.

Nobody stepped up design review for iLuminate, Linear, and the 3rd/Roosevelt development and look at the monolith garbage that got built.

I would have traded all of that for Roosevelt Row from before this boom. People had a reason to be out walking around there back then.

biggus diggus Feb 15, 2019 11:07 PM

Why do you find issue with those buildings? They've brought hundreds of people into the area and spurred numerous bars, restaurants and shops opening their doors. They've led to jobs in the area. There's activity on the street level now, lots of it.

CrestedSaguaro Feb 15, 2019 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 8476072)
Mmmhmm.

Nobody stepped up design review for iLuminate, Linear, and the 3rd/Roosevelt development and look at the monolith garbage that got built.

I would have traded all of that for Roosevelt Row from before this boom. People had a reason to be out walking around there back then.

I walk around there no less than 3 times per week after work and have done that now for around 3 years. There are WAY more people out walking around now than before they were built and they have more of a reason to do it...they live there.

Obadno Feb 15, 2019 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8476077)
Why do you find issue with those buildings? They've brought hundreds of people into the area and spurred numerous bars, restaurants and shops opening their doors. They've led to jobs in the area. There's activity on the street level now, lots of it.

There is already a strange current of nostalgia for the meth-head infested half abandon Roosevelt of pre 2008

Its a strange type of person who is into that kind of neighborhood.

biggus diggus Feb 15, 2019 11:36 PM

Some people just like to hate things.

exit2lef Feb 16, 2019 1:17 AM

I really like the looks of Illuminate and Linear, and I have coworkers who live in Illuminate. They're now bicycling to work instead of driving, so that's a huge gain in itself. On a related note, I've used the shaded bike rack at Illuminate several times while eating lunch at the Dressing Room. Broadstone is too big (horizontally, not vertically) for my taste, but I appreciate how it addresses the corner with the new Paz Cantina space. While critics find all sorts of ways to pick apart these buildings, some valid and some not so much, I still see them as a huge net gain for the neighborhood.

TJPHXskyscraperfan Feb 16, 2019 4:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8475342)
Kind of confused on this topic. There is a pizza joint (can't remember the name) that has been open for months now on the ground floor and another spot adjacent to the lobby opened last month. Neither one of these spots have had any turnover as they just opened recently. They seem to be doing OK and I have seen customers in both spots after 6 on a week night. Also, a a Bosa Donuts is getting ready to open between the police department and garage entrance on the North side. All in all, Union seems to be doing decent.

He’s talking about The Deli closing as far as closures go but Union doesn’t seem to be doing to great to me and movement to gets restaurants in there has been real slow. I met one of the guys opening that pizza place and their lunch crown was pretty great at first and I kept asking him when they are going to extend there hours and he kept saying soon. That was almost a year ago and they haven’t extended their hours. They don’t really have set hours and close pretty much at 6 or 7 maybe at the latest. It’s pretty much just a lunch spot. Looking forward to checking out this Friends spot soon.

CrestedSaguaro Feb 16, 2019 7:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan (Post 8476681)
He’s talking about The Deli closing as far as closures go but Union doesn’t seem to be doing to great to me and movement to gets restaurants in there has been real slow. I met one of the guys opening that pizza place and their lunch crown was pretty great at first and I kept asking him when they are going to extend there hours and he kept saying soon. That was almost a year ago and they haven’t extended their hours. They don’t really have set hours and close pretty much at 6 or 7 maybe at the latest. It’s pretty much just a lunch spot. Looking forward to checking out this Friends spot soon.

I have a feeling it will change when Central Station is built. Problem is, surviving until it's built. On a side note, I have always thought US Bank Tower would be a good place for conversion to residential...or maybe the upper 10 floors of it at least. US Bank doesn't occupy enough space to make the tower successful and getting remaining office space leased up is tough.

dtnphx Feb 16, 2019 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8476798)
I have a feeling it will change when Central Station is built. Problem is, surviving until it's built. On a side note, I have always thought US Bank Tower would be a good place for conversion to residential...or maybe the upper 10 floors of it at least. US Bank doesn't occupy enough space to make the tower successful and getting remaining office space leased up is tough.

The US Bank building is a very successful office leased building. Where did you get that it was tough? They can't keep decent retail to save their souls, but office occupancy is good.

exit2lef Feb 16, 2019 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8475340)
Retail and restaurants are always a revolving door. The bars on mill and in old town come and go quickly as well

Maybe, but they're bars. I'm used to more stability with restaurants.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8475342)
Kind of confused on this topic. There is a pizza joint (can't remember the name) that has been open for months now on the ground floor and another spot adjacent to the lobby opened last month. Neither one of these spots have had any turnover as they just opened recently. They seem to be doing OK and I have seen customers in both spots after 6 on a week night. Also, a a Bosa Donuts is getting ready to open between the police department and garage entrance on the North side. All in all, Union seems to be doing decent.

The pizza place was called "Provisions." It closed and has been replaced by the Friends Bar and Grill. Mole, the taco place next door, continues to serve lunch, but the whole setup seems temporary. There are tables unceremoniously arranged into a fence between the Friends and Mole dining areas. Along First Avenue, there is additional space with two bars that seem to be perpetually coming soon. Union, or whatever it's called now, seems incomplete and poorly thought-out. I hope it eventually succeeds, but as others have noted, this building really seems to struggle with its retail space.

TJPHXskyscraperfan Feb 18, 2019 6:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 8476072)
Mmmhmm.

What is wrong with Iluminate and Linear? They don’t have retail? You can’t force retail and they have a brewery going up right next door. The parking is under ground and can’t be seen from the street. Yeah, these 4-6 story buildings going up everywhere are cheap wood frame buildings but so is all construction these days and they are going up all over the country. I think Broadstone Roosevelt Row looks awesome, a lot better than their other one on McDowell which I would agree doesn’t look “urban” enough. Paz on the corner, I would have to say looks pretty freaking awesome. Broadstone’s first floor apartments even have exposed brick inside, wish there was more of that kind of stuff going on along with exposed air conditioning vents but these new apartments don’t seem to be doing much of that anymore. But from the outside, I’d have to say that’s one of the most urban looking corners in the city. And yeah, there are waaaaaaaay more people walking around there everyday compared to 10 years ago.

TJPHXskyscraperfan Feb 18, 2019 3:39 PM

Oh ya, and also, the rooftops at Iluminate and Linear are amazing!

Chestnut1 Feb 18, 2019 4:20 PM

I don't think anyone posted this. Sounds interesting.

By Brandon Brown - Reporter, Phoenix Business Journal

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...n-phoenix.html

Superstition Meadery LLC is looking to expand down in the Valley with a new tasting room and restaurant in a historically designated building in downtown Phoenix...at 1110 E. Washington St.. Superstition Meadery plans to renovate the 3,781-square-foot building, adding more than 1,000 square feet for an outdoor dining area....Owner Jennifer Herbert told the Phoenix Business Journal that she does not expect to break ground until the end of the summer.

Herbert owns and operates the meadery with her husband Jeff Herbert . They started the company in 2012. They have a tasting room in a basement in downtown Prescott and a state-of-the-art production facility eight miles away. Superstition Meadery has created a dedicated following in Prescott, but a lot of its fans are not locals and travel to get there.

The Phoenix tasting room will differ from Superstition Meadery's Prescott location in that it will have a commercial kitchen so the food menu will be more diverse, Herbert said. The company is also working with a chef to create a menu with mead and cider pairings in mind.

soled Feb 18, 2019 5:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chestnut1 (Post 8478285)

Superstition Meadery LLC is looking to expand down in the Valley with a new tasting room and restaurant in a historically designated building in downtown Phoenix...at 1110 E. Washington St.. Superstition Meadery plans to renovate the 3,781-square-foot building, adding more than 1,000 square feet for an outdoor dining area....Owner Jennifer Herbert told the Phoenix Business Journal that she does not expect to break ground until the end of the summer.

Herbert owns and operates the meadery with her husband Jeff Herbert . They started the company in 2012. They have a tasting room in a basement in downtown Prescott and a state-of-the-art production facility eight miles away. Superstition Meadery has created a dedicated following in Prescott, but a lot of its fans are not locals and travel to get there.

The Phoenix tasting room will differ from Superstition Meadery's Prescott location in that it will have a commercial kitchen so the food menu will be more diverse, Herbert said. The company is also working with a chef to create a menu with mead and cider pairings in mind.

Jeff's a friend of mine. At his request I've been biting my tongue on this a while. The one they have in Prescott is a great place. I'm glad they are expanding their food options.

exit2lef Feb 18, 2019 6:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chestnut1 (Post 8478285)

This sounds great. I hope they've done their legwork to secure a liquor license. The proprietor of the defunct Capital Market down the street told me that one reason business was such a challenge for him and nearby restaurants was the proximity of several churches, which made licensing more difficult than usual.

PHX31 Feb 18, 2019 6:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soled (Post 8478333)
Jeff's a friend of mine. At his request I've been biting my tongue on this a while. The one they have in Prescott is a great place. I'm glad they are expanding their food options.

1110 E. Washington St is an awesome looking little building.

The meadery up in Precott is very cool and they seem to do such a great job (I knew next to nothing about Meade before going there up in Prescott, but they seem to know a lot and it was pretty tasty). It's just very expensive and I wonder how a place like that will work in Garfield/Eastlake park/east of downtown. I hope for the best for them.

biggus diggus Feb 18, 2019 6:52 PM

I've been thinking for years that building would make a great bar or restaurant. If Mike ever does anything with all the warehouses in that neighborhood it could become a dense concentration of tech jobs. We've been saying Eastlake could become a trendy neighborhood for a long time. Garfield is first, though.