SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Obadno Feb 9, 2018 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanmcv (Post 8079952)
Very well could be. Just wasn't sure whether another project/tower was about to begin there. I'll keep an eye on it. :)

That Lot is set aside for the ASU biomed Campus, the general plan is for a 9-story lab/office building but that is still a couple years off.

Unfortunately its going to be empty for some time to come.

ryanmcv Feb 9, 2018 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8079959)
That Lot is set aside for the ASU biomed Campus, the general plan is for a 9-story lab/office building but that is still a couple years off.

Unfortunately its going to be empty for some time to come.

Got it. So it likely is a staging area for The Link. Thanks! :)

Chico Loco Feb 10, 2018 3:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somethingfast (Post 8072492)
^ Yes, the "it's hot" argument doesn't hold much sway realistically. Have you been to Busch Gardens Tampa in the summer? 100 degrees and 95% humidity. Horrible. All Phoenix needs is a mister network along the walkways and shade structures and a theme park here could be open for 9 months of the year if not year-round.

Those kinds of numbers are impossible. That would be a dewpoint of 99!

Sun Belt Feb 10, 2018 8:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chico Loco (Post 8080346)
Those kinds of numbers are impossible. That would be a dewpoint of 99!

Highest dew point ever recorded was 95 in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, air temperature was 108, creating a heat index of 176! That would make a June afternoon in Phoenix seem comfortable.

Buckeye Native 001 Feb 10, 2018 10:07 PM

Hell, that would make an August afternoon in Phoenix seem comfortable ;)

haux Feb 11, 2018 8:30 AM

More progress at the Stewart.

https://i.imgur.com/qA2BBKP.jpg
A bit more cladding and glass on the front.

https://i.imgur.com/XOSgjgY.jpg
The building touches Rodiberto's. There is no alley or any type of gap. I just like this shot because I got it during the blue hour.

combusean Feb 11, 2018 9:30 AM

Interesting. Derby touched on this issue as we all know, Stewart does, even 44 Monroe didn't get air rights from the neighboring parking garage so its construction was longer and costlier.

How does this process even work? If I have the zoning for a 0' side setback to build a highrise, then what?

I don't even know where to begin Googling.

biggus diggus Feb 11, 2018 1:26 PM

This is a great example of Matt's thinking. The owner of the rodibertos building (or future owners) will have a very hard time ever building vertical.

CrestedSaguaro Feb 13, 2018 9:15 PM

Arizona could join national compact forbidding taxpayer-funded sports facilities

I've long been against public-funded stadiums. It will be interesting to see if these proposed bills will go anywhere.

Quote:

For years, Arizonans have listened to repeated threats from its professional sports teams.

Revenues are down, so the hockey team may move across town. If the basketball team doesn't get major upgrades to its arena, it will start looking for a new home. The baseball team could head out of state if it doesn't get the renovations it says it needs.

These threats have been part of the national sports conversation as well. Three National Football League teams have moved, or planned to move, in the past three years.

A series of bills introduced across the nation, including in Arizona, aim to curtail professional sports teams' ability to coax their way into better benefits through relocation threats.

'Millionaires being subsidized'

A duo of identical Arizona bills — one introduced in the House and the other in the Senate — would have the state enter into a national compact forbidding the spending of taxpayer dollars on new professional sports teams' facilities or renovations to existing ones.

"You have millionaires being subsidized by the taxpayers, and it's really not necessary. It's really a bill motivated to protect the taxpayer," said Sen. Warren Petersen, R-Gilbert.

“It's really a bill motivated to protect the taxpayer,”. The compact would not take effect until 24 other states agreed to join, which would diminish teams' ability to threaten to move elsewhere to get better financial incentives, according to Tom Jenney of Americans for Prosperity, the group that's pushing the compact nationally. It would not apply to existing contracts.

Jenney said teams tend to "play states and cities off of each other," by threatening to leave.

"We would like to remove the temptation entirely," he said.

Currently, four other states have bills that mirror Arizona's measure working their way through their legislatures, according to Americans for Prosperity. There is no time limit indicated in the bill, so not all 24 states would need to sign on this year.

Is bill inadequate to solve problem?

John Vrooman, a sports economist and professor at Vanderbilt University, said in an email Monday that Arizona's bill seems "inadequate in scope to solve the national problem that it is trying to correct."

"If 25 states adopt a mutually-binding non-relocation agreement, then what about the other opportunistic 25 states?" he said.

Instead, Vrooman suggested the regulation of sports teams should come at the federal level.

“If 25 states adopt a mutually-binding non-relocation agreement, then what about the other opportunistic 25 states?”
John Vrooman, sports economist and professor at Vanderbilt University
"Unfortunately for local taxpayers held hostage, that ain’t gonna happen anytime soon," he said.

Americans for Prosperity is a conservative advocacy group funded by controversial billionaire brothers Charles and David Koch, making the group's opposition to publicly-financed stadiums unsurprising.

But recently, even left-leaning groups and politicians have called out sports teams asking for subsidies.

The progressive Brookings Institute published a report in 2016 criticizing the federal government's financial involvement in stadium funding.

Locally, Phoenix Councilwoman Kate Gallego, a Democrat, announced her opposition to renovating the Phoenix Suns' arena and the Milwaukee Brewers' spring training facility.

Taxpayer financing is the norm

Bills introduced across the nation, including in Arizona, aim to curtail professional sports teams' relocation threats. Wochit

In Arizona, taxpayer-financing — at least in part — is the norm for most professional sports facilities.

Petersen, who sponsored Senate Bill 1453, said Glendale's Gila River Arena, where the Arizona Coyotes play, is the best example of a "bad deal for the taxpayer" — and why a compact is necessary.

Glendale borrowed $180 million to build the arena, which opened in 2003. The city has a $13 million annual debt payment on the arena through 2033.

For nearly the past decade, the Coyotes have threatened to leave Glendale with an empty arena and tens of thousands of dollars in debt to pursue cushier offers elsewhere — either in downtown Phoenix, the East Valley or out of state.

The Suns have been asking Phoenix to pitch in for a new or significantly rehabbed arena for the past several years.

The Suns and Phoenix evenly split the nearly $100 million price tag on Talking Stick Resort Arena when it was built in the early 1990s. The city still owes about $8.24 million on the building.

The Arizona Diamondbacks are also in a squabble over the future of its facility. The team sued Maricopa County, the owner of Chase Field, last year over a disagreement as to who should pay for $187 million in stadium repairs.

Chase Field opened as Bank One Ballpark in 1998. Roughly two-thirds of the $354 million cost was financed through a public quarter-cent-per-dollar sales tax that was approved in 1994 and expired in 1997.

Representatives from the Coyotes, Suns and Diamondbacks declined to comment on the legislation.

Why only limit public money to sports?

Mark Rosentraub, professor of sport management at Michigan Center for Sport Management, raised several questions after hearing details of the Arizona legislation.

"Cities are now competing and offering subsidies to Amazon, so I do wonder why would there be a focus only on sport if one wants to limit public investment for economic development? Should we not legislate or agree not to offer inducements to any business? Why is the line drawn only for sport? And would it impact professional teams or also apply to the World Cup and the Olympics?" Rosentraub said.

He also questioned why cities and counties can't be trusted to make their own decisions in their own self-interest, suggesting that a team's value could depend on the location.

"Would the absence of a public investment impact teams and cities? The answer is yes, in both intended and unintended ways," he said.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ies/309535002/

phoenixwillrise Feb 13, 2018 10:22 PM

The ban on building sports stadiums

Would be a heck of a lot more productive if they could get every state, city and municipality on board with this. No more gravy train for the sports billionaires and no more using one state/city against another. Boom!

CrestedSaguaro Feb 14, 2018 6:25 AM

New High-rise Residential Tower in Downtown Phoenix Fillmore District

An article touching base on the 14 story residential tower on Fillmore/3rd Ave mentioned by Muertecaza a few days ago. A few interesting notes to point out.

1. Aspirant is the developer of the Stewart, so a pretty good chance this will happen considering they defied all odds on getting the Stewart built. I think they have proven they are serious about high-rise development.
2. There's mention of a 30 story tower on the Colliers pad. My first impression is this is an error and the author is referring to Barrister, but Barrister is not a 30 story proposal and the writer specifically states Block 24 and underground garage. So, need to do some digging on this.
3. The mention of another 15 story tower on Fillmore, but no other details on that.

Quote:

Fillmore District in Downtown Phoenix continues to experience revitalization and significant new development.  Aspirant Development has purchased 1.2 acres fronting on the north side of Fillmore Street between 2nd Avenue and 3rd Avenue.  The property was purchased from The Fillmore Group, LLC, a Los Angeles/Hong Kong based Seller.  The purchase price was 3.5 million and the property is planned for 220 units in a 12-14 story apartment tower.  Ray Cashen of Cashen Realty Advisors was the Broker on the transaction. 

Aspirant Development is also developing a 312 unit, 19-story apartment tower known as The Stewart located at the NWC of Central Avenue & McKinley.  That property under construction is slated to open in 2019.  The Fillmore District has been the recent focus of many developers, including Wood Partners who has built a 230 unit, 4-story apartment complex and Trammell Crow who will break ground this year for a 609 unit, 7-story apartment complex along Fillmore Street.  Additionally, Fore Development is in Escrow to purchase 2.7 acres at the SWC of 2nd Avenue & Fillmore Street and 2.0 acres located at the NWC of Monroe and 2nd Avenue is also in Escrow, both slated for high-density residential development.

Block 23 is under construction with builder, Red Development.  That project is a residential and retail tower which includes the first Fry’s grocery store in Downtown Phoenix.  The adjacent Block 24 is in Escrow with Hines Development who will be building a 30-story residential/hospitality tower over an existing four-level parking structure at the Collier’s Center Project.  Cashen has been involved in numerous Central Phoenix infill deals and is assembling another 2 acre parcel along Fillmore that he says will be the site of a future 15-story residential tower.

Central and Downtown Phoenix continue on a vibrant pace of residential development.  All of the amenities are now in place.  Diverse employment, transportation, entertainment, education, services and a wide spectrum of residential options have combined to transform Downtown Phoenix into a very desirable urban environment.

http://cem-az.com/new-high-rise-resi...more-district/

biggus diggus Feb 14, 2018 1:34 PM

The Fillmore district?

gymratmanaz Feb 14, 2018 2:26 PM

Wasn't it mentioned about Colliers earlier, a family oriented 30 story building?????

CrestedSaguaro Feb 14, 2018 2:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratmanaz (Post 8085160)
Wasn't it mentioned about Colliers earlier, a family oriented 30 story building?????

I know we have discussed a tower at Colliers, but I don't think it was anywhere near 30 stories. That would put it well around 320' or more. I think previously, someone released a site review of something around 20 floors and around 240'ish.

Obadno Feb 14, 2018 3:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8085178)
I know we have discussed a tower at Colliers, but I don't think it was anywhere near 30 stories. That would put it well around 320' or more. I think previously, someone released a site review of something around 20 floors and around 240'ish.

I think they are mixing up barrister which has been proposed 30 stories and colliers gich was proposed at 25 or 22 or something

CrestedSaguaro Feb 14, 2018 4:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8085261)
I think they are mixing up barrister which has been proposed 30 stories and colliers gich was proposed at 25 or 22 or something

That's what I am thinking. But if not, it would be awesome to see a 30 story tower on the Collier pad!

Either way a couple of 14/15 story towers around the Fillmore/3rd Ave area will drastically change the skyline West of Downtown. It appears we may be wrong about this phase of development ending anytime soon. More and more just keeps getting announced. Exciting!

ASU Diablo Feb 14, 2018 4:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8085265)
That's what I am thinking. But if not, it would be awesome to see a 30 story tower on the Collier pad!

Either way a couple of 14/15 story towers around the Fillmore/3rd Ave area will drastically change the skyline West of Downtown. It appears we may be wrong about this phase of development ending anytime soon. More and more just keeps getting announced. Exciting!

Agreed! This is encouraging to see. Out of all these, I'm really looking forward to The Fillmore (Tramwell) breaking ground later this year. Questions on the following:

Quote:

Additionally, Fore Development is in Escrow to purchase 2.7 acres at the SWC of 2nd Avenue & Fillmore Street and 2.0 acres located at the NWC of Monroe and 2nd Avenue is also in Escrow, both slated for high-density residential development.
SWC of 2nd Avenue & Fillmore Street - Is this including the O'Neil Printing building and the "parking" just north of it? Trying to visualize this one...

NWC of Monroe and 2nd Avenue - I wonder if Fore Development either owns or plans to purchase the north half of that block as well? I think I would rather see 2 different owners develop this block...

muertecaza Feb 14, 2018 4:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 8085288)
Agreed! This is encouraging to see. Out of all these, I'm really looking forward to The Fillmore (Tramwell) breaking ground later this year. Questions on the following:

SWC of 2nd Avenue & Fillmore Street - Is this including the O'Neil Printing building and the "parking" just north of it? Trying to visualize this one...

NWC of Monroe and 2nd Avenue - I wonder if Fore Development either owns or plans to purchase the north half of that block as well? I think I would rather see 2 different owners develop this block...

Here are the parcels that O'Neil Printing owns, and it comes out to just about 2.7 acres, so that would make sense. It would be kind of funny if they don't buy the parcel right on the corner, which is a different owner.

https://i.imgur.com/HZuPpyqh.jpg

ASU Diablo Feb 14, 2018 4:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muertecaza (Post 8085302)
Here are the parcels that O'Neil Printing owns, and it comes out to just about 2.7 acres, so that would make sense. It would be kind of funny if they don't buy the parcel right on the corner, which is a different owner.

https://i.imgur.com/HZuPpyqh.jpg

Ah wow, that is awesome. For whatever reason, thought the parcel would be way smaller. And yes I hope they purchase that small sliver remaining as well lol

Ballister Feb 14, 2018 4:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8084349)
I've long been against public-funded stadiums. It will be interesting to see if these proposed bills will go anywhere.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ies/309535002/

All this talk about hi rises gave me a chub. :order: