SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Phxguy Jan 30, 2018 8:14 PM

http://downtownphoenixjournal.com/20...ffices-become/

I remember reading this article a bit back and have been patient on any signs of the conversion to manifest itself in the Power Apartments (245 W Roosevelt), since it is a charming old building, and I think that wait ends today! The parking lot is fenced off with a dumpster typical you see outside any house renovation and buzzing with workers.

Socalzonie Jan 31, 2018 3:26 AM

Anybody know what happened with the plan to convert the office tower at Central & Camelback to residential? Seems like it was a couple years ago now, but I thought some office tenants actually moved out and then nothing else seemed to happen....

pbenjamin Jan 31, 2018 5:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Socalzonie (Post 8067580)
Anybody know what happened with the plan to convert the office tower at Central & Camelback to residential? Seems like it was a couple years ago now, but I thought some office tenants actually moved out and then nothing else seemed to happen....

BMO definitely moved out and put their accursed signs on the Viad building.

nickw252 Jan 31, 2018 5:40 PM

Arizona lands $1B electric semi-truck plant, 2,000 jobs

Quote:

Nikola Motor Co. has picked Arizona for a $1 billion, 2,000-job manufacturing plant and will also move its research and development and headquarters operations to Buckeye.

The plant will be west of Phoenix and sit on 500 acres.

Nikola will make hydrogen-electric semi-trucks at the planned Arizona facility. Nikola is now based in Salt Lake City and makes electric and hydrogen-electric vehicles and parts.

“After 12 months, nine states and 30 site locations, Arizona, Gov. Ducey, Sandra Watson and Chris Camacho were the clear front runners. Arizona has the workforce to support our growth and a governor that was an entrepreneur himself. They understood what 2,000 jobs would mean to their cities and state,” said Trevor Milton, CEO and founder, Nikola Motor Co. “We will begin transferring our R&D and headquarters to Arizona immediately and hope to have the transition completed by October 2018."

Nikola is locating on land in Buckeye owned by El Dorado Holdings and JDM Partners.

“Nikola Motor Co.'s selection of Arizona demonstrates that we are leading the charge when it comes to attracting innovative, industry-disrupting companies,” said Ducey. “This incredible new technology will revolutionize transportation, and we’re very proud it will be engineered right here in Arizona."

Sandra Watson, president and CEO of the Arizona Commerce Authority, said the site selection "will be transformative for the West Valley and further advances Arizona’s leadership position in the innovation economy."
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...ant-2-000.html

It'll be interesting to see if anything actually happens. Back in 2016 announced a massive factory in Casa Grande. To date, nothing has happened. That being said, I think the market for semis using alternative fuels present more economic opportunities than electric cars like the Lucid Air.

Semi purchasers are less fickle than car buyers. It's the trucking companies who are trying to eek out every penny from their purchases. Alternative fuel semis appear to have significant advantages over diesel semis when taking into consideration that they are substantially more reliable, more efficient, and less costly to operate. Moreover, there are fewer fluctuations in the energy prices as there are no wild swings similar to the swings in gas and diesel prices.

xymox Jan 31, 2018 8:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 8068188)
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...ant-2-000.html

It'll be interesting to see if anything actually happens. Back in 2016 announced a massive factory in Casa Grande. To date, nothing has happened. That being said, I think the market for semis using alternative fuels present more economic opportunities than electric cars like the Lucid Air.

Semi purchasers are less fickle than car buyers. It's the trucking companies who are trying to eek out every penny from their purchases. Alternative fuel semis appear to have significant advantages over diesel semis when taking into consideration that they are substantially more reliable, more efficient, and less costly to operate. Moreover, there are fewer fluctuations in the energy prices as there are no wild swings similar to the swings in gas and diesel prices.

These guys seem legit - they are moving their HQ and R&D to the ‘Greater Phoenix Area’ immediately. They already have a number of job postings on their corporate website for the Phoenix area.

Lucid Motors seemed to have some iffy funding and that’s what’s holding them up from breaking ground in Casa Grande. I can’t say what the status is of them following through - I heard they had half the money they needed to start and needed to raise the other half over the summer. It would be really nice to have them also follow through and see more of these next-gen automakers pop up here.

biggus diggus Jan 31, 2018 8:53 PM

I have come to the conclusion anything that says it's coming to Casa Grande is an empty promise.

RichTempe Jan 31, 2018 9:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8068560)
I have come to the conclusion anything that says it's coming to Casa Grande is an empty promise.

Speaking of which, there hasn't been any activity on the PhoenixMart thread for almost a year.

Obadno Jan 31, 2018 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichTempe (Post 8068626)
Speaking of which, there hasn't been any activity on the PhoenixMart thread for almost a year.

The Building is built and gigantic, you can find it on Google maps really easy :shrug:

Is it being used? Idk this whole project has been beyond bizarre

http://phoenixmart.com/phoenixmart-blog/

Last news September 2017

Quote:

PhoenixMart — a 1.6 million square foot business-to-business international marketplace center being built in Casa Grande — has hired SMG to be the facility’s manager when it opens in 2019.
:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

its our own version of a Chinese Ghost city

RichTempe Jan 31, 2018 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8068643)
The Building is built and gigantic, you can find it on Google maps really easy :shrug:

Is it being used? Idk this whole project has been beyond bizarre

http://phoenixmart.com/phoenixmart-blog/

Last news September 2017

:shrug::shrug::shrug::shrug:

its our own version of a Chinese Ghost city

I posted over on that thread to see if sh9730 has any info. He's been the main source of anything going on. It is massive in the satellite pics, but looks deserted.

biggus diggus Jan 31, 2018 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichTempe (Post 8068626)

Or the two race tracks proposed for the area.

Also I thought Phoenix Mart was in a reuse of the old outlet mall

Obadno Jan 31, 2018 11:08 PM

Interesting:

https://azbigmedia.com/bmo-tower-cen...a-sells-80-7m/

Quote:

CBRE has arranged the sale of BMO Tower at Central Arts Plaza, a 485,687-square-foot, 24-story Class A high-rise office building in Phoenix. The owners, a joint venture between California-based McCarthy Cook & Co. and New York-based Morgan Stanley Real Estate Investing, sold the property, along with an adjacent 1.94-acre parcel, for $80.7 million.
We discussed the rumor of a revived second tower plan at this location, was that to bump up the sale value or is it the new owners considering developing the parking lot?

jward145 Feb 1, 2018 12:45 AM

Hey all,

Random but wondering how a few projects are going, I'm in Michigan right now but will officially be an Arizonan late August and am as excited as can be. Anywho the projects I'm referring to:

-Park Central Mall. I've heard it's opening soon, any pics or updates?
-Camelback Collective @ Camelback and 28th. Google Maps updated and the buildings are under construction, but I haven't seen anything specifically related to the new AC Hotel going there.
-Ritz Carlton Paradise Valley/Azure/The Palmeraie. The website claims in opens in March 2019*, but I've only seen pics of moved dirt. Any updates?
-Chandler History Museum (I think), as well as Overstreet in Chandler. They were making progress but haven't updated their social media since October.

Thank you all!

*- https://www.rcpvluxury.com/

CrestedSaguaro Feb 1, 2018 2:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jward145 (Post 8068906)
Hey all,

Random but wondering how a few projects are going, I'm in Michigan right now but will officially be an Arizonan late August and am as excited as can be. Anywho the projects I'm referring to:

-Camelback Collective @ Camelback and 28th. Google Maps updated and the buildings are under construction, but I haven't seen anything specifically related to the new AC Hotel going there.
-Ritz Carlton Paradise Valley/Azure/The Palmeraie. The website claims in opens in March 2019*, but I've only seen pics of moved dirt. Any updates?
-Chandler History Museum (I think), as well as Overstreet in Chandler. They were making progress but haven't updated their social media since October.

Thank you all!

*- https://www.rcpvluxury.com/

Nothing is really happening with Park Central Mall. I've heard they have started the remodeling, but it must be all inside stuff right now as there's not a thing going on the outside as of yet that I have noticed.

Both, the office building and the AC of Camelback Collective are topped out. Also, the Streetlights residential project next door is moving along pretty quickly. These projects are adding lots of infill in this area and really extending the Biltmore corridor Eastward.

The other 2 projects, I know nothing about. :runaway:

combusean Feb 1, 2018 5:54 AM

I forgot about the Streetlights project.

That Santa Barbara style is really well and uniquely done at this scale. The project stands out from the typical EIFS blobs that are going up everywhere and the 80's/90's Biltmore area.

Obadno Feb 1, 2018 1:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jward145 (Post 8068906)
Hey all,

Nothing yet, just hype and press releases

its currently under construction probably about halfway done

Under construction, I don't have any pics

Last I saw it was fenced off.

sorry Our little community here is pretty terrible with photo updates so no pics

:P

azsunsurfer Feb 1, 2018 2:48 PM

Overstreet, Chandler- The retail/ office building(s) are topped and they are working on HVAC/ Framing/ Etc. The movie theater has one of its façade walls fronting Arizona Ave. The parking garage looks done.

phoenixheadphones Feb 1, 2018 4:57 PM

I went for lunch at Park Central and they've gutted the whole inside of the mall. You can't see it from the street, but starting at where the deli used to be it's all blocked off and they are doing some major changes. Hopefully it comes together pretty quick!

sh9730 Feb 1, 2018 5:06 PM

Hi All,

I see people had some questions/update requests on the Casa Grande "Big 4" projects as it were. I posted some deeper detail on the Phoenixmart project over on that thread - but here are updates on the other three.

Attesa Motorsports (Racetrack complex) - Final Board of Supervisors approval on the land use and "entertainment district" designation scheduled for this month. Hoping to have groundbreaking in the fall and then 3 years for construction of phase I. This is per an interview with one of the principals in this magazine just last month.

I actually keep in touch with these folks and am pretty comfortable things are moving along:

http://goldencorridorliving.com/copies/

Lucid Motors - per several media accounts in December (including the Silicon Valley Business Journal) and interviews with the CTO (they do not have a CEO) their Series D funding is "Very Close" and they are extremely confident in getting that round of funding. They are still committed to the Casa Grande facility and an announcement is "imminent". So, hopefully hear something concrete very soon.

Dreamport Villages (Amusement Park) - They are in the final closing stages of the land purchases (prior to city approvals they just had the land "right to purchase". Now they are completing that purchase). But, work continues in the background at the city in tandem.

Hope that helps - as you here know better than most - ALL of these type projects take longer than we ever like - but it has only been under 18 months since announcement for all but Phoenixmart - which - who knows on that one?

stutteringpunk Feb 1, 2018 8:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sh9730 (Post 8069638)
Hi All,

I see people had some questions/update requests on the Casa Grande "Big 4" projects as it were. I posted some deeper detail on the Phoenixmart project over on that thread - but here are updates on the other three.

Attesa Motorsports (Racetrack complex) - Final Board of Supervisors approval on the land use and "entertainment district" designation scheduled for this month. Hoping to have groundbreaking in the fall and then 3 years for construction of phase I. This is per an interview with one of the principals in this magazine just last month.

I actually keep in touch with these folks and am pretty comfortable things are moving along:

http://goldencorridorliving.com/copies/

Lucid Motors - per several media accounts in December (including the Silicon Valley Business Journal) and interviews with the CTO (they do not have a CEO) their Series D funding is "Very Close" and they are extremely confident in getting that round of funding. They are still committed to the Casa Grande facility and an announcement is "imminent". So, hopefully hear something concrete very soon.

Dreamport Villages (Amusement Park) - They are in the final closing stages of the land purchases (prior to city approvals they just had the land "right to purchase". Now they are completing that purchase). But, work continues in the background at the city in tandem.

Hope that helps - as you here know better than most - ALL of these type projects take longer than we ever like - but it has only been under 18 months since announcement for all but Phoenixmart - which - who knows on that one?

Here's hoping the amusement park gets built. I know there are always going to be weather challenges with running a theme park here, but if the Cleveland/Detroit area can support Cedar Point, there's no reason Phoenix can't sustain one here, especially since Vegas already has a small one indoors. We have 7-8 months of fairly comfortable weather every year. It's about time we gave people more things to do.

xymox Feb 1, 2018 9:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stutteringpunk (Post 8070012)
Here's hoping the amusement park gets built. I know there are always going to be weather challenges with running a theme park here, but if the Cleveland/Detroit area can support Cedar Point, there's no reason Phoenix can't sustain one here, especially since Vegas already has a small one indoors. We have 7-8 months of fairly comfortable weather every year. It's about time we gave people more things to do.

Cleveland supported more than just Cedar Point - there was also Geauga Lake and Sea World up until the 90s when Cleveland started bleeding jobs and people.

I once visited the operations of Universal Studios on a work trip once in the late 90s. They said Phoenix didn’t quite have the population then to support something on that scale. As a rule, these parks require at least 5M visitors to be profitable. With the state at 7M now and metro PHX closer to 5M and Tucson 1M it seems like we could in theory keep one up and running. But it would require nearly every one to visit it once a year. Not sure how much it’d draw from nearby states (TX - El Paso and NM - ABQ).

With the LA parks now at capacity and ridiculous waits in line - I’d like to think if we could get a nice park in the region here, it’d do pretty well. I’d think putting it up on Prescott would be ideal - cooler weather and a long season as well. Not too far out of town either...