SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   How many cities in the US have at least one subway station? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210687)

cabasse Apr 11, 2014 9:16 PM

i was unaware that minneapolis and san diego had any underground stations. interesting list.

fflint Apr 11, 2014 9:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabasse (Post 6535764)
i was unaware that minneapolis and san diego had any underground stations. interesting list.

The San Diego Trolley runs in a subway under the campus of San Diego State University. That is where the city's one subway station is located:

http://arweb.sdsu.edu/es/virtualtour...s/transit2.jpg
source

L41A Apr 12, 2014 12:13 AM

MARTA Subway Stations - Atlanta

By my count, there are 14 MARTA stations that are subway (below ground).
  • 5 on the Blue / Green lines
    5 on the Red / Gold lines
    4 on the Red Line

Chef Apr 12, 2014 7:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabasse (Post 6535764)

The underground station is at the airport. You can get off your plane and get on the train downtown without going outside, which is nice if you are traveling in winter.

There is another stop in the basement of the parking ramp at the Mall of America which allows people with long layovers at MSP to go shopping there pretty easily.

It isn't an underground station but it kind of feels like it:

http://subwaynut.com/minneapolis/mal...ofamerica2.jpg

It is actually the only cool thing about the Mall.

Jonboy1983 Apr 13, 2014 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirrus (Post 6533830)
We can do this. Here are the 50 largest urbanized areas.

Code:

US URBANIZED AREA        SUBWAY STOPS?

New York                Y, multiple lines
Los Angeles                Y, multiple lines
Chicago                        Y, multilpe lines
Miami-Ft Laud.                -
Philadelphia                Y, multiple lines

Dallas                        Y, 1 station
Houston                        -
Washington                Y, multiple lines
Atlanta                        Y, multiple lines
Boston                        Y, multiple lines

Detroit                        -
Phoenix                        -
San Francisco-Oakland        Y, multiple lines
Seattle                        Y, 5 stations
San Diego                Y, 1 station

Minneapolis-St Paul        Y, 1 station
Tampa-St Pete                -
Denver                        -
Baltimore                Y, 1 line
St Louis                Y, 4 stations

San Juan                Y, 2 stations
Riverside-San Bern.        -
Las Vegas                -
Portland                Y, 1 station
Cleveland                Y, 2 stations

San Antonio                -
Pittsburgh                Y, 1 line
Sacramento                -
San Jose                -
Cincinnati                Abandoned, 1 line

Kansas City                -
Orlando                        -
Indianpolis                -
Virginia Beach                -
Milwaukee                -

Columbus                -
Austin                        -
Charlotte                -
Providence                -
Jacksonville                -

Memphis                        -
Salt Lake City                -
Louisville                -
Nashville                -
Richmond                -

Buffalo                        Y, 1 line
Hartford                -
Bridgeport-Stamford        -
New Orleans                -
Raleigh                        -

Pittsburgh actually has two lines that share an underground loop, the Red Line and the Blue Line. There are currently 6 grade-separated stops within Downtown, and four are subway: Steel Plaza, Wood Street, Gateway Center, and the North Side station that opened with the North Shore Connector...

RET48 Apr 13, 2014 2:09 AM

Don't forget Camden, NJ. Both the City Hall and Broadway Stations of the PATCO Speedline are underground there.

BG918 Apr 13, 2014 2:19 AM

Dallas and Portland each only have one underground station. In Dallas it's the City Place station in Uptown and in Portland it's the Washington Park station west of downtown. Dallas had one other planned underground station at Knox-Henderson that was partially built but never opened because of NIMBY 's.

Jonboy1983 Apr 14, 2014 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RET48 (Post 6537112)
Don't forget Camden, NJ. Both the City Hall and Broadway Stations of the PATCO Speedline are underground there.

That's right. I was on the PATCO back in the day when my aunt and uncle used to live in Cherry Hill and we'd hop on the Speed Line from Haddonfield to the end of the line in Center City. I do recall those two subway stations in Camden before crossing the Delaware via the Ben Franklin Bridge.

Centropolis Apr 14, 2014 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColDayMan (Post 6535652)
Cincinnati has four subway stations that are currently being used by Casper, Slimer, and George Burns.

:tup:

Rizzo Apr 14, 2014 1:59 AM

Great list. And I'm glad the condition of "ligh rail or heavy" was left out. It's an irrelevant point because some LRT subway stations are just as intensive....sometimes even more intensive than heavy rail. The rolling stock and speed has nothing do with whether a transit line has a station underground.

Centropolis Apr 14, 2014 2:17 AM

America left St. Louis to die, and we fuckin' got some shit done.

dubu Apr 14, 2014 6:11 AM

how many have elevated rail with stops. probably less then subways

Rizzo Apr 14, 2014 2:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabom (Post 6538287)
how many have elevated rail with stops. probably less then subways

That might be a tough one. I think you have the true elevated station category where the trains run on a structure above streets, alleys, and even buildings like in Chicago and NYC. Then there's stations on rail embankments that technically accomplish the same things, but have a different appearance.

emathias Apr 14, 2014 3:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayward (Post 6538522)
That might be a tough one. I think you have the true elevated station category where the trains run on a structure above streets, alleys, and even buildings like in Chicago and NYC. Then there's stations on rail embankments that technically accomplish the same things, but have a different appearance.

There are a few sections in Boston that still run elevated for a station or two - I think the Red Line and Blue Line both have short sections that are elevated. Of course the Orange Line used to be elevated for long stretches, but no longer is.

Miami is also mostly all elevated. Parts of BART in the Bay Area are elevated. Las Vegas has an elevated monorail line. I don't think we should count Seattle's one monorail link, but I guess you could, and as the Seattle light rail approaches SeaTac, it's elevated. Philly has some elevated sections, like the Market-Frankford Line. Atlanta's MARTA is definitely elevated in places. Some of St. Louis' MetroLink runs elevated. All of those are elevated at least in parts on either steel or concrete pillars and not only on embankments.

CypressClinton Apr 14, 2014 4:56 PM

PATCO in Philly has is elevated through most of Jersey. for such a short line it has everything... elevated, subway, a trench, and on a bridge.

le_brew Apr 14, 2014 5:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 6538569)
There are a few sections in Boston that still run elevated for a station or two - I think the Red Line and Blue Line both have short sections that are elevated.

didn't find them. . .while in boston years ago, looked for el lines to ride where i would be able to get good tourist views of the city. challenging due to subway, sunken trench, and surface lines (did get good str vibe from the green). orange line was particularly noteworthy; the view was of nothing but embankment. dull, but would imagine it's very economical for their agency in terms of maintenance. rusting steel structure above the streets (chicago's) are constantly under some form of repair, not to mention slow. makes one wonder why cities would still want those structures. boston’s lines—they seemed to get from point a to point b very efficiently.

scalziand Apr 14, 2014 5:52 PM

In Boston, the Redline has a short elevated section at Charles/MGH. The Orange line has a viaduct as it goes through Charleston. The Greenline has the Lechmere viaduct, which is in the process of being lengthened now. I'm not that familiar with the Blue line, so i can't say if it has any elevated sections.

Le brew, sounds like you would have loved riding the old Washington Street Orange line el, but that was torn down decades ago.

le_brew Apr 14, 2014 6:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scalziand (Post 6538895)
old Washington Street Orange line el, but that was torn down decades ago.

as i wish chicago's had been. . . .
whoops! that's not a popular stance on this forum

dubu Apr 14, 2014 7:47 PM

I hope light rail will be replaced with a new thing that's elevated and cheap

fflint Apr 14, 2014 7:48 PM

BART has 23 miles of elevated rail and 13 elevated rail stations.