SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina | Pubs and Restaurants (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212747)

pappcam Oct 9, 2017 5:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 7946669)
I thought I heard that Taylor's was just going to take it over.

There are already cars in the parking lot.

djforsberg Oct 9, 2017 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pappcam (Post 7946684)
There are already cars in the parking lot.

Lol I guess that makes sense. Most of those dealerships have pretty fancy snack and coffee bars so maybe there isn’t a need for a restaurant/coffee shop over there.

BrannyMuffin Oct 12, 2017 3:04 PM

Has anyone heard what will be replacing Flip? They announced that their last day will be November 4 and that a new restaurant with a different concept will be replacing them. Any ideas what it could be?

Stormer Oct 12, 2017 5:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrannyMuffin (Post 7950048)
Has anyone heard what will be replacing Flip? They announced that their last day will be November 4 and that a new restaurant with a different concept will be replacing them. Any ideas what it could be?

Wow the "Atlantis Group" has sure had an apparent reversal of fortune. Malt City, Aegean Coast, Salt, Flip and the 2nd Atlantis location all gone.

brithgob Oct 12, 2017 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draftsman (Post 7920171)
I know it had been mentioned in here some time back, but I see Brewsters Albert South location is closed. Chili's on Victoria Avenue East is also closed - no surprise there as it was a terrible location: poor access and hardly visible from either Victoria Avenue or Prince of Wales Drive.

Following up on Chili’s, all the Alberta locations are apparently closing as well, with the exception of the Calgary and Edmonton airports.

Dan0myte Oct 13, 2017 3:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7950235)
Wow the "Atlantis Group" has sure had an apparent reversal of fortune. Malt City, Aegean Coast, Salt, Flip and the 2nd Atlantis location all gone.

Yeah, they put all their chips in to the Malt City idea and lost. Easy come, easy go. :( Back to square one now with their original coffee shop. I feel bad for that family after all their hard work.

BrutallyDishonest2 Oct 14, 2017 1:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan0myte (Post 7951241)
Yeah, they put all their chips in to the Malt City idea and lost. Easy come, easy go. :( Back to square one now with their original coffee shop. I feel bad for that family after all their hard work.

Honestly though, Malt City was their fault. They didn't build out the space properly, then their prices were way too high. Right from the beginning.

TechnicalRecession Oct 14, 2017 4:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 7952026)
Honestly though, Malt City was their fault. They didn't build out the space properly, then their prices were way too high. Right from the beginning.

Well that and a souring economy, tax changes and too many restaurants opening when the times were good. Other restaurants have also been shut down recently including La Bodega, which closed and then re-opened with new owners as Bodega.

Stormer Oct 15, 2017 1:51 AM

Apparently Flip will be replaced with a sushi place owned by the fellow that owned Orange in Cathedral

sastaunik44 Oct 26, 2017 5:51 PM

I see the old Robins Donuts on Eastgate has been leased. Any idea what is going in there?

cityboy Oct 28, 2017 5:53 PM

Starbucks
 
It appears from what I can see the new Starbucks on 11th is doing quite well. I think the biggest reason is it's actually open decent hours. Until 9 most nights I think. I get that the economics of paying staff once usual business customers go home at 5 are not great, but that is something that has always drove my nuts about the mentality of downtown. As though only people who are currently at work want to buy coffee. It's one of the biggest reason's for Atlantis' success on Vic, along with the great location. Nothing overly special about their product. Naked Bean is another example of this. Again, I'm not overly fussed with their product, but they've created a presence, unlike the other nondescript cafe that is just to the North of them in the heritage building on the corner.

BrutallyDishonest2 Oct 28, 2017 7:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sastaunik44 (Post 7966007)
I see the old Robins Donuts on Eastgate has been leased. Any idea what is going in there?

https://vegaboocathaven.wixsite.com/vegaboocathaven

No comment.

pappcam Oct 28, 2017 9:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 7968519)

What. The. F***

That is all.

Regina Boi Oct 28, 2017 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pappcam (Post 7968609)
What. The. F***

That is all.

So now you guys are gonna criticise two people for trying something new, while doing something good for the community?

Would you rather see another dollar store or tattoo shop? This is part of the reason Regina is such a shitty city. Nobody here supports local business or any kind of forward thinking and innovation.

BrutallyDishonest2 Oct 28, 2017 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regina Boi (Post 7968631)
So now you guys are gonna criticise two people for trying something new, while doing something good for the community?

Would you rather see another dollar store or tattoo shop? This is part of the reason Regina is such a shitty city. Nobody here supports local business or any kind of forward thinking and innovation.

Being novel doesn't negate a ridiculous idea.

If the metric for being a good Reginan is blindly supporting every possible idea, then I'm happy to be a bad Reginan.

That and it's one of two cat cafe's in the city.

pappcam Oct 29, 2017 12:05 AM

Is it like this?

https://media.tenor.com/images/4c95f...581b/tenor.gif

Drofmab Oct 29, 2017 1:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 7968635)
Being novel doesn't negate a ridiculous idea.

If the metric for being a good Reginan is blindly supporting every possible idea, then I'm happy to be a bad Reginan.

That and it's one of two cat cafe's in the city.

Not to mention there's already a cat coffee shop under construction on Albert (near Slow Food)... this may be the one you're referencing (good lord, I hope it is: 3 cat coffee shops? Can't fragment the market that finely).

VegaBoo takes it to the next level by going Vegan.

Vancouver, Portland & Seattle: you're on notice... we're coming for you!

cityboy Oct 30, 2017 3:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regina Boi (Post 7968631)
So now you guys are gonna criticise two people for trying something new, while doing something good for the community?

Would you rather see another dollar store or tattoo shop? This is part of the reason Regina is such a shitty city. Nobody here supports local business or any kind of forward thinking and innovation.

I personally think we need another "massage" parlour.

djforsberg Oct 30, 2017 6:55 PM

With how many stray and abandoned cats there are in Regina, I for one am glad people are doing something to help find them find homes or at least some love until then. Some of you may not appreciate the life of a cat or even joke about it but once you have adopted an old stray like my girlfriend and I have, your mind will change pretty quick (unless you are completely psychotic and lack any empathy for life).

Drofmab Oct 30, 2017 7:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djforsberg (Post 7970191)
With how many stray and abandoned cats there are in Regina, I for one am glad people are doing something to help find them find homes or at least some love until then. Some of you may not appreciate the life of a cat or even joke about it but once you have adopted an old stray like my girlfriend and I have, your mind will change pretty quick (unless you are completely psychotic and lack any empathy for life).

Major stretch to infer people who think a business idea is poor are psychopaths and/or lack any empathy for life, donchathink?

Pretty sure 99% of comments were critiquing the business idea... nothing to do with the value we place on stray/abandoned cats.

Ad hominem? check
Ad populum? check
Straw Man? check
Red Herring? check

Stormer Oct 30, 2017 7:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drofmab (Post 7970227)
Major stretch to infer people who think a business idea is poor are psychopaths and/or lack any empathy for life, donchathink?

Pretty sure 99% of comments were critiquing the business idea... nothing to do with the value we place on stray/abandoned cats.

Ad hominem? check
Ad populum? check
Straw Man? check
Red Herring? check

Jeez I'll bet you aced your Logic 100 class! ;)

djforsberg Oct 30, 2017 7:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drofmab (Post 7970227)
Major stretch to infer people who think a business idea is poor are psychopaths and/or lack any empathy for life, donchathink?

Pretty sure 99% of comments were critiquing the business idea... nothing to do with the value we place on stray/abandoned cats.

Ad hominem? check
Ad populum? check
Straw Man? check
Red Herring? check

Yet there were no actual arguments against the business idea, besides there already being other cat cafes, while the first sentence of my post explained the justification for their usefulness. The rest of my post is for anyone who thinks its a joke to try and reduce the pet population and I could care less how illogical it is. The stigma against cats is childish, outdated, unoriginal and quite illogical, actually (the stigma only exacerbates the problem these cafes are trying to reduce). I bet no one would complain or make jokes if there were more dog parks added to the city... (I value dogs just as much as cats btw)

BrutallyDishonest2 Oct 31, 2017 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djforsberg (Post 7970279)
Yet there were no actual arguments against the business idea, besides there already being other cat cafes, while the first sentence of my post explained the justification for their usefulness. The rest of my post is for anyone who thinks its a joke to try and reduce the pet population and I could care less how illogical it is. The stigma against cats is childish, outdated, unoriginal and quite illogical, actually (the stigma only exacerbates the problem these cafes are trying to reduce). I bet no one would complain or make jokes if there were more dog parks added to the city... (I value dogs just as much as cats btw)

Oh give me a break.

A business where you pay an admission fee to pet cats is a terrible business idea. Full stop.

aberrant Oct 31, 2017 1:39 AM

I have seen them in many other cities, and many of my staff are very excited about the openings in Regina.

PhotoJim Oct 31, 2017 3:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 7970650)
Oh give me a break.

A business where you pay an admission fee to pet cats is a terrible business idea. Full stop.

We'll see in a few years. Remember that not all businesses exist to encourage you specifically to part with your dollars.

Drofmab Oct 31, 2017 6:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djforsberg (Post 7970279)
Yet there were no actual arguments against the business idea, besides there already being other cat cafes, while the first sentence of my post explained the justification for their usefulness. The rest of my post is for anyone who thinks its a joke to try and reduce the pet population and I could care less how illogical it is. The stigma against cats is childish, outdated, unoriginal and quite illogical, actually (the stigma only exacerbates the problem these cafes are trying to reduce). I bet no one would complain or make jokes if there were more dog parks added to the city... (I value dogs just as much as cats btw)

The fact there are other cat cafes in the market is a critique of the business idea. Over-saturation does not a successful business make. And just because something gives the warm & fuzzies, doesn't mean a business can turn a profit (or break even - maybe it's a non-profit).

Logic matters in business decisions. This is a business decision. I'm happy to be proven wrong... but I can't see 2-3 cat cafes surviving in the Regina market.

To your point around more dog parks - to keep it parallel, I'd question the viability of 2 to 3 paid-admission dog parks in Regina. For sure.

(FTR: I have no issue with cats. I have a cat & a dog)

Drofmab Oct 31, 2017 6:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7970241)
Jeez I'll bet you aced your Logic 100 class! ;)

I held my own ;)
plus, 4 logical fallacies in one paragraph? pretty epic.

djforsberg Oct 31, 2017 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drofmab (Post 7971501)
I held my own ;)
plus, 4 logical fallacies in one paragraph? pretty epic.

:rolleyes:

Congrats

UPP Nov 1, 2017 4:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djforsberg (Post 7970279)
Yet there were no actual arguments against the business idea, besides there already being other cat cafes, while the first sentence of my post explained the justification for their usefulness. The rest of my post is for anyone who thinks its a joke to try and reduce the pet population and I could care less how illogical it is. The stigma against cats is childish, outdated, unoriginal and quite illogical, actually (the stigma only exacerbates the problem these cafes are trying to reduce). I bet no one would complain or make jokes if there were more dog parks added to the city... (I value dogs just as much as cats btw)

I have a severe cat allergy so count me out. And I wish there were more off-leash dog parks. Then people wouldn't feel the need to let their dogs off leash all over in regular parks.

I would be surprised if this new venture lasts.

djforsberg Nov 1, 2017 6:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPP (Post 7972104)
I have a severe cat allergy so count me out. And I wish there were more off-leash dog parks. Then people wouldn't feel the need to let their dogs off leash all over in regular parks.

I totally agree. And if there's something I will agree on, its this city needs more dog parks added than cat cafes. How does a city less than half the size of Regina like Kamloops literally have several more parks than we do?

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPP (Post 7972104)
I would be surprised if this new venture lasts.

Who knows but I just find many of the dismissive comments against the cafe a little silly. It reminds me of the picture of Abraham Simpson yelling at the clouds in the sky. Considering the high number of homeless cats out there, I hope you all at least hope the venture succeeds. Considering their Facebook page has over 1200 Likes, they have a good amount of support in the community. To compare, Robin's Donuts Canada has 3200 followers and Creekside Pub has 1000 followers.

Frankly, I think some of you might be a little out of touch with reality, especially when it comes to the interests of Millennials.

StealthGirl Nov 1, 2017 8:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djforsberg (Post 7972770)
How does a city less than half the size of Regina like Kamloops literally have several more parks than we do?

I would argue it's climate. A nicer climate puts more emphasis on outdoor than a place that will be bitterly cold for months of the year.

Nathan Nov 1, 2017 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthGirl (Post 7972983)
I would argue it's climate. A nicer climate puts more emphasis on outdoor than a place that will be bitterly cold for months of the year.

I think I'd have to agree on that to an extent. I suppose if we pulled the snow removal, de-icing, and sanding budget and invested it in parks or other things instead...

djforsberg Nov 2, 2017 1:06 PM

Ya but even Saskatoon has several more dog parks than us. And what does the winter maintenance budget have to do with parks?

BrutallyDishonest2 Nov 2, 2017 1:27 PM

The difference is that Saskatoon just choose some pieces of grass. Regina decided they needed to be fenced.

Technically Regina has 6.

djforsberg Nov 2, 2017 3:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 7973556)
The difference is that Saskatoon just choose some pieces of grass. Regina decided they needed to be fenced.

Technically Regina has 6.

I suppose Saskatoon has a lot more open space. Unfortunately five of Regina's are just outdoor rinks which obviously are only active during the warmer seasons and leave a lot to be desired for dogs and owners alike. I am sure if the city got a little creative, they could find better locations.

HomerSPC Nov 4, 2017 1:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 7973556)
The difference is that Saskatoon just choose some pieces of grass. Regina decided they needed to be fenced.

Technically Regina has 6.

This is actually out of date. There is a 7th non-rink dog park on the south side of the Industrial Area.

BrutallyDishonest2 Nov 4, 2017 1:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerSPC (Post 7975787)
This is actually out of date. There is a 7th non-rink dog park on the south side of the Industrial Area.

Yeah, it's on the city's page, just not the map. https://www.regina.ca/residents/park...ash-dog-parks/

BrutallyDishonest2 Nov 4, 2017 1:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djforsberg (Post 7973709)
I suppose Saskatoon has a lot more open space. Unfortunately five of Regina's are just outdoor rinks which obviously are only active during the warmer seasons and leave a lot to be desired for dogs and owners alike. I am sure if the city got a little creative, they could find better locations.

Saskatoon doesn't really have more open space. I could find the city a hundred places to put a dog park, they are making a choice not to use them.

Festivus Nov 4, 2017 4:10 PM

I'm being facetious, but we could use the new stadium as a dog park for the 300+ days per year it's not being used.

Draftsman Nov 4, 2017 7:12 PM

Hey folks, can you use a different thread for discussion about dog parks, etc? This doesn't belong in Regina Pubs and Restaurants. Thanks.

BrutallyDishonest2 Nov 4, 2017 7:18 PM

No.

djforsberg Nov 6, 2017 9:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 7976287)
No.

We may disagree sometimes, but you... I like you :haha:

sastaunik44 Nov 6, 2017 9:37 PM

Does anyone have an idea as to what might be going into the Sears Home or Costco when they close?

BrutallyDishonest2 Nov 7, 2017 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sastaunik44 (Post 7977988)
Does anyone have an idea as to what might be going into the Sears Home or Costco when they close?

Nothing is settled yet, but both are likely to have very different uses than the current ones.

Mike328 Nov 7, 2017 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 7978195)
Nothing is settled yet, but both are likely to have very different uses than the current ones.

Woohoo!! Finally an indoor Maxwells Amusements! :sarcasm:

kenskca Nov 7, 2017 3:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike328 (Post 7978218)
Woohoo!! Finally an indoor Maxwells Amusements! :sarcasm:

We went to an indoor go kart place in Calgary like 15 years ago and it was awesome! Never say never.

So a new Boston Pizza is going to be in Acre 21 in the Greens. I heard the BPs by Costco / Staples will be closing. Is that correct?

We were in there a while ago and the lounge is in rough shape...looks like they are doing just the bare minimum maintenance to keep it open.

one_brick_at_a_time Nov 7, 2017 4:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike328 (Post 7978218)
Woohoo!! Finally an indoor Maxwells Amusements! :sarcasm:

Indoor Waterpark downtown, and a public spray pad in Victoria Park.

Stormer Nov 7, 2017 7:05 PM

Unfortunately Acre 21, Horizons and Aurora are going to result in the hollowing out of a lot of the existing suburban retail areas.

BrutallyDishonest2 Nov 7, 2017 7:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7978952)
Unfortunately Acres 21, Horizons and Aurora are going to result in the hollowing out of a lot of the existing suburban retail areas.

Nah, Regina has unlimited capacity for retail!

Nathan Nov 7, 2017 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7978952)
Unfortunately Acre 21, Horizons and Aurora are going to result in the hollowing out of a lot of the existing suburban retail areas.

Maybe they could backfill with condos!!! :haha:


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.