SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

homebucket Apr 3, 2020 5:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8883542)
That downstate's problems are downstate's problems and that they should stay there and not infect the rest of the state regardless of how bad it gets. Upstate is already highly infected. Kind of like the attitude with the cruise ship recently stranded off the coast of Florida. That attitude was that they weren't from Florida so fuck 'em.

There's a lot of that chatter going on on the West Coast too. It's understandable I suppose. You don't want those fancy big city folk coming over and infecting your quaint little mountain towns.

Quote:

"It's a little frustrating to see people that are basically coming here to take a vacation," Malloy says.

Some regions in the rural West are still reporting very low numbers of COVID-19 cases. But there are pockets with high infection rates: wealthy resort towns like Sun Valley and adjoining Ketchum, Idaho, that have a lot of visitor traffic from around the country and world.

"I just hope that some of these people aren't bringing this disease with them," Malloy says.

While resort towns like this can typically house a lot of tourists or second- and third-home owners, that doesn't extend to St. Luke's, which has only 25 beds. The hospital has had dozens of COVID-related admissions and officials warn there are likely many more cases in the community than what's been diagnosed.

That's leading to some impassioned pleas to take the recent, strict self-isolation orders seriously.

"No one should come here," says Dr. Brent Russell, a local emergency room physician.

Russell should know. He has COVID-19. He's been very sick, so can't work at this critical time.

"We have a really high percent of COVID spreading among the population here," Russell says. "If you come here, that is putting your life at risk and it's putting other lives at risk."

The hospital is part of a regional health care system, St. Luke's, so for now, support has been coming from hospitals in Twin Falls and Boise where there aren't as many known cases. Yet.

Russell figures he probably got infected in the ER, but says he could have just as easily gotten it at the ski resort.

"It seems like a low-risk activity because it's outdoors," Russell says. "But most everybody eats lunch in a crowded lodge and then there are the chairlifts, where you're sitting shoulder-to-shoulder with four people."
https://www.npr.org/2020/03/27/82212...ould-come-here

iheartthed Apr 3, 2020 5:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8883515)
I am really disgusted with attitudes back home (Upstate NY); there is a huge backlash against Cuomo and contingency plans to use hospitals in the region as overflow from the city and downstate. I mean the comments are pretty fucking nasty and ignorant. Even some from my own family..

They think it's a New York City problem, which is unfortunate for them. It is only a matter of time before they're dealing with flare-ups in their own communities, thanks to the inept response by the federal government. Viruses don't care about how rich, poor, or liberal your city is.

animatedmartian Apr 3, 2020 6:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8883542)
That downstate's problems are downstate's problems and that they should stay there and not infect the rest of the state regardless of how bad it gets. Upstate is already highly infected. Kind of like the attitude with the cruise ship recently stranded off the coast of Florida. That attitude was that they weren't from Florida so fuck 'em.

Michigan is getting that split too. Yoopers were saying to close Mackinaw Bridge though by that point there was already confirmed cases in the UP.

But Michigan's northern areas are kind in trouble either way since many small towns are dependent on tourism for their economy. So they either get wiped out from infections or get wiped out because no one's travelling.

fern Apr 3, 2020 8:11 PM

My wife is an NHS nurse but hasn't been on the wards for 15 years , she's been drafted in to the front line without any training starting next week.
In the news today Two nurses in their 30s have died after contracting coronavirus shes very scared.
I've never been more proud of her

Pedestrian Apr 3, 2020 8:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 8883333)
hey doc, what is your take on wearing masks? i wear one doing errands, like grocery or drug store, but do i need one for a morning jog? that seems impractical for runners.

there seems to be some debate about it. :shrug:

https://nypost.com/2020/04/02/does-w...t-coronavirus/

I have been saying since this thread got started that I consider the WHO/US Guvmint denial of the usefulness of masks to be BS of the first order. Why does everyone in an ER wear a mask if they don't do anything? In reality, they keep virus away from your nose and mouth (the N95s do it best) both by blocking airborn droplets and by reminding you not to touch those areas. Ideally, you also need to protect your eyes with some sort of goggles or face shield.

But that said, these articles of PPE (everybody knows what that means now, right?) are mainly useful indoors and especially in crowded environments: supermarkets etc. Places where you might encounter what somebody else coughed or sneezed out or the surfaces where it settled.

I personally do not wear any of this gear (and I have it) outdoors where I can easily stay well away from other people. If you jog somewhere where you can give other joggers a wide birth, I wouldn't wear a mask. If you have to pass closely or might bump into one, maybe I would. Certainly if you have to change clothes in a public indoor space or anything like that, I would wear everything there and drown myself in hand sanitizer (frankly, if that were the case I'd forget the jogging entirely).

Not only is any breeze going to widely disperse droplets outdoors but the saying "Sunlight is the best disinfectant" may be literally true in this case. It just is very unlikley you are going to touch a surface on which someone coughed or sneezed recently enough for there to viable virus there.

mrnyc Apr 3, 2020 9:27 PM

good lord they just sent out emergency alert to everyone for all hands on deck for healthcare workers. frightening to imagine what is happening.

edit - here is something about it:

Live Blog
SEE 2 NEW POSTS

Tom Winter
1h ago / 5:52 PM EDT
NYC sends emergency alert to phones

New York City has transmitted an emergency alert to phones, asking all licensed health care workers to support the city's health facilities by logging on to a website to find out where help is needed the most.

The city expects ventilator and healthcare worker shortages in the coming days. Mayor Bill de Blasio, Gov. Andrew Cuomo and now senior city officials are sounding the alarm to all available health care workers.

sopas ej Apr 3, 2020 9:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8883838)
I doubt Cuomo's press conferences are carried live anywhere outside of the NY media market.

I have not been seeing them live here in Los Angeles.

What I have been seeing daily live/hearing live on radio is California Governor Newsom's daily addresses, Mayor of LA's daily addresses and the LA County Health Department Director's daily addresses. I doubt the rest of the US sees those.

JManc Apr 3, 2020 9:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8883838)
I doubt Cuomo's press conferences are carried live anywhere outside of the NY media market.

I don't have cable TV but I have been watching bits and pieces the Cuomo show daily online. All the major networks stream his press briefings.

pj3000 Apr 3, 2020 10:06 PM

Pennsylvania asked by Gov. Wolf to wear face masks outside of home.

Pedestrian Apr 3, 2020 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pj3000 (Post 8883890)
Pennsylvania asked by Gov. Wolf to wear face masks outside of home.

When is he going to pull something like the Gov. of Georgia and claim he just heard yesterday the disease can be communicated by the asymptomatic?

Pedestrian Apr 3, 2020 10:41 PM

Quote:

Rural Californians’ plea to Bay Area residents during coronavirus pandemic: Stay home
Tom Stienstra April 2, 2020 Updated: April 2, 2020 9:55 a.m.

In California’s north state, residents have a clear message for people in the Bay Area and Sacramento during the coronavirus pandemic: Don’t come here.

“People shouldn’t be leaving their counties,” said Matt Romaine of Weaverville, who helps run several now-closed recreation properties. “We’re opposed to people coming in from outside areas that have higher infection rates.”

Across seven counties between Redding and the Oregon border, which many call the Shasta-Cascade region, there have been only 10 positive tests for the coronavirus and one death, according to each county’s respective health department. Four counties, Trinity, Modoc, Lassen and Tehama, have reported zero cases. The low numbers of cases could be attributed to few tests being administered, health officials said.

The prospect of escaping from coronavirus clusters in the Bay Area and Central Valley might inspire some people to venture north into one of the top outdoor recreation areas in the U.S. But the consensus across the region is to stay away.

“I’m real firm about it,” said Dave Marshall a retired forester in McCloud. “The best minds say, ‘Shelter in place,’ so you should stay home” . . . .

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...ign=sfc_travel

sopas ej Apr 3, 2020 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8883921)

I'm only speaking for myself of course, but I wouldn't even want to shelter in place in some isolated backwater. If I'm gonna shelter in place, it'd be in the middle of a city where I have immediate access to hospitals, markets, take out restaurants, etc. It wouldn't even enter my mind to go somewhere isolated and far from a big city and shelter in place there.

Acajack Apr 3, 2020 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8883866)
I don't have cable TV but I have been watching bits and pieces the Cuomo show daily online. All the major networks stream his press briefings.

They are all live on CNN. I get them here in Quebec, Canada.

chris08876 Apr 4, 2020 12:53 AM

Thanks guys. Definitely answers my curiosity.

Its interesting though. How the U.S. has such broad reach. Like I remember when I was in Spain, I felt like I was back in the U.S.. So much U.S. news or references to us.

Pedestrian Apr 4, 2020 1:05 AM

California Gov. Gavin Newsom telling it like it is: When it comes to obtaining PPE, "we can outbit most."

jmecklenborg Apr 4, 2020 1:51 AM

I work for a distributor. This week we bought a bunch of bootleg hand sanitizer from a craft distillery, slapped some basic labels on the bottles, and away they went. We brought in 168 bottles on Wednesday afternoon, sold out by noon on Thursday, and brought in another 110 bottles today. I took a whiff of this stuff and it smells like really cheap gas station vodka. No telling if it actually works.

https://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j...psnowls6od.jpg

https://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j...ps0zoa3izn.jpg

We also distribute the now-famous 3M N95 masks. Back in early February we put in a big order because China was gobbling all of them up. The shipment showed up in late February or early March but some fool who was supposed to take them off our website didn't and all sorts of small customers got them all around the U.S. instead of the big local customers who we brought them in for.

So after 3-4 weeks of not having them, we got like a handful of them in today, and away they go. It was kind of funny seeing the dude on the box who's about to get serious with the orbital sander. It was like, hello old friend.
https://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j...psgndhimhx.jpg

sopas ej Apr 4, 2020 1:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8884075)
Link to the thread topic?

Well, a question for people who live in France?

I assume face masks aren't banned in France? So are niqabs still banned, if they're being used for the same purpose? If they are no longer banned because of the pandemic, then this would definitely affect someone's life in a French city, no?

sopas ej Apr 4, 2020 1:58 AM

Los Angeles' air in March has been the cleanest it's been in at least 40 years; kind of funny that we here can't really go out and fully enjoy it.

From Timeout:

L.A.’s air pollution has plummeted since the beginning of March

Link: https://www.timeout.com/los-angeles/...box=1585933149

xzmattzx Apr 4, 2020 2:42 AM

The Delaware State Police are posting state troopers at the Pennsylvania state line to prevent Pennsylvanians from coming to our Total Wine and Home Depot that are on the border.

Acajack Apr 4, 2020 2:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8884087)
Well, a question for people who live in France?

I assume face masks aren't banned in France? So are niqabs still banned, if they're being used for the same purpose? If they are no longer banned because of the pandemic, then this would definitely affect someone's life in a French city, no?

Ok I get it but seems like a trivial matter.