SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Acajack Mar 18, 2020 9:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capsicum (Post 8866446)
Doesn't that usage also exist in English though? For example, a person being "economical" meaning being practical with one's finances or an "economical" thing being a good deal or bargain for the money spent. Also, "economy class" for instance, for the cheapest travel options on a plane.

Yeah, I guess that's true. Though I do think that the use of the *other* meaning of all words related to "economy" is quite a bit more prevalent.

mrnyc Mar 18, 2020 9:21 PM

food is less of a worry or so they say. at least cooked food. take out is touched as much as grocery food is. i dk i guess try to stick with what you know in your area. a funny thing is in ny cuomo said restaurant booze is ok to go for now too. i tested that last night and its true lol.

Pedestrian Mar 18, 2020 10:25 PM

Quote:

Cable Car service felled by coronavirus
MARCH 17, 2020 BY MARK PRADO

San Francisco's Cable Cars won't be climbing halfway to the stars anytime soon, the latest victim of the coronavirus.

To help protect operators and to allow for social distancing for passengers, San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency chief Jeffrey Tumlin announced the historic cable cars will be taken out of service.

Buses will take their place. Partitions will also be put up on vehicles to help protect drivers, Tumlin said . . . .
https://blog.bayareametro.gov/posts/...ed-coronavirus

I'm very unclear on why busses would be any safer. In fact, since busses are entirely enclosed and most cable car seating is effectively outdoors, seems to me cable cars might be a little safer. I know I wouldn't ride a bus right now.

montréaliste Mar 18, 2020 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8866522)
https://blog.bayareametro.gov/posts/...ed-coronavirus

I'm very unclear on why busses would be any safer. In fact, since busses are entirely enclosed and most cable car seating is effectively outdoors, seems to me cable cars might be a little safer. I know I wouldn't ride a bus right now.

Yes, Montreal bus drivers just open the back doors to busses from today onwards. They don't check cards or tickets.

One coronavirus case from yesterday had just transited on the metro before his/her test according to a local daily.

mrnyc Mar 18, 2020 10:30 PM

millenials best beware:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/18/millen...official-says/

Pedestrian Mar 18, 2020 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8866385)
so what are people's thoughts on carry-out from restaurants?

my wife mentioned possibly ordering dinner tonight from the corner bar and grill at the end of our block (they're open for carry-out/delivery only).

on the one hand, i want to help and support them.

on the other hand, i'm scared.

Ideally you want to introduce as little into your house from outside your house as possible. But in reality, for most of us this is near impossible. If you don't order prepared take-out food, you are going to have to bring in food from supermarkets or order what's needed to cook it for delivery.

However, having food prep items delivered may have some advantage over take-out prepared food. That is, the take-out food you will handle and eat right away. The staples and uncooked food you may have delivered can go on a shelf for a few days and you can wash your hands after putting them away.

Quote:

How Long Will Coronavirus Live on Surfaces or in the Air Around You?
By Apoorva Mandavilli
Published March 17, 2020
Updated March 18, 2020, 11:45 a.m. ET

The coronavirus can live for three days on some surfaces, like plastic and steel, new research suggests. Experts say the risk of consumers getting infected from touching those materials is still low, although they offered additional warnings about how long the virus survives in air, which may have important implications for medical workers.

The new study, published Tuesday in the New England Journal of Medicine, also suggests that the virus disintegrates over the course of a day on cardboard, lessening the worry among consumers that deliveries will spread the virus during this period of staying and working from home.

When the virus becomes suspended in droplets smaller than 5 micrometers — known as aerosols — it can stay suspended for about a half-hour, researchers said, before drifting down and settling on surfaces where it can linger for hours. The finding on aerosol in particular is inconsistent with the World Health Organization’s position that the virus is not transported by air.

The virus lives longest on plastic and steel, surviving for up to 72 hours. But the amount of viable virus decreases sharply over this time. It also does poorly on copper, surviving four hours. On cardboard, it survives up to 24 hours, which suggests packages that arrive in the mail should have only low levels of the virus — unless the delivery person has coughed or sneezed on it or has handled it with contaminated hands . . . .
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/h...-aerosols.html

Pedestrian Mar 18, 2020 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8866404)
I've never used a 3rd party food delivery service; I don't know why I'm so leery of them. I'd rather pick up the food myself.

I'm leery of them because (1) you don't know how long it took the food to get from the restaurant stove to you and it could be cold or unappetizing, (2) you have to tip the delivery person (20% is expected in SF and that's a significant addition to the cost of the meal), (3) it's one more possibly infected person handling not so much the food but the packaging materials.

Steely Dan Mar 18, 2020 10:43 PM

^ i generally try to avoid delivery as well because i dislike the tipping part.

my legs work, i can easily walk a block or two to avoid an extra $5 - $10 leaving my wallet.

besides, a little fresh air is always a good idea.

SteveD Mar 18, 2020 10:48 PM

I've got a little restaurant and bar node about a half mile from my house that we walk to all the time. There's been no official bar and restaurant shut down order yet in either Atlanta or the State of GA. Some of the businesses have opted to close on their own and others are still open. There's ugly shouting back and forth going on on FB between the closed places employees and the open places employees, and attempts to publicly out and shame people still going out for dinner and drinks.

Pedestrian Mar 18, 2020 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveD (Post 8866549)
There's been no official bar and restaurant shut down order yet in either Atlanta or the State of GA.

As far as I know, even in places where there have been shut-downs, that's for in-house service only. I know in San Francisco, which has a "shelter in place" lockdown, they are still allowing--even encouraging as a way to keep as many places as possible from going under--take-out.

SteveD Mar 18, 2020 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8866562)
As far as I know, even in places where there have been shut-downs, that's for in-house service only. I know in San Francisco, which has a "shelter in place" lockdown they are still allowing--even encouraging as a way to keep as many places as possible from going under--take-out.

When it happens here, I would expect it to be the same thing. The places that have shut down are opting not to do that. They don't think they can be profitable at it (and I agree with them). My neighborhood draws people from all over the metro. It's a destination party scene. Those same people aren't going to make a trip to EAV for take out food. Everything about my neighborhood is the social vibe of hanging out and drinking. It's a very boozy neighborhood, and all these places make the lion's share of their profits on the liquor sales. We don't have the population base close by for it to be worthwhile for these places to attempt to eke it out with take out food only.

Steely Dan Mar 18, 2020 11:14 PM

uh-oh, my wife just got off the phone with her sister.

she just got back late last week from a work trip to italy.

she and her husband now both have fevers and a cough.......... they're trying to get tested as we speak.

they're both in their early 40s, quite wealthy (ie. rock solid health insurance), active, and healthy, so they should be ok long term, but this is the first case of someone i personally know.

montréaliste Mar 18, 2020 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8866572)

she and her husband now both have fevers and a cough.......... they're trying to get tested as we speak.

they're both in their early 40s, quite wealthy (ie. rock solid health insurance), active, and healthy, so they should be ok long term, but this is the first case of someone i personally know.

Hang in there.

SteveD Mar 18, 2020 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montréaliste (Post 8866574)
Hang in there.

Very sorry to hear. Keep us posted on how difficult it is (or conversely easy) for them to get tested. I'm still reading about horror stories of how tough it is to actually secure testing.

Pedestrian Mar 18, 2020 11:26 PM

^^SF's techies have long been heavy users of not only prepared take-out food but also "meal kits" and any other way anybody can think of to get them back to coding with as little interruption as possible (certainly no time out for cooking). That's why so many of these delivery services got started here.

Centropolis Mar 18, 2020 11:39 PM

just walked past fully operational bars in st louis. mainly boomers!

cant wait to get parented at by a boomer.

chris08876 Mar 18, 2020 11:40 PM

Just some daily info:

https://healthnewshub.org/wp-content...-1-466x452.jpg
Credit: https://hartfordhealthcare.org/about...2&publicId=395

mrnyc Mar 18, 2020 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montréaliste (Post 8866527)
Yes, Montreal bus drivers just open the back doors to busses from today onwards. They don't check cards or tickets.

One KNOWN coronavirus case from yesterday had just transited on the metro before his/her test according to a local daily.

fixed that for you mon amie.

mrnyc Mar 18, 2020 11:46 PM

sherrod brown’s tweet is sobering ... and frightening:

Unemployment claims filed in Ohio:

Last Sunday: 536
This Sunday: 11,995
Monday: 36,645

https://twitter.com/SenSherrodBrown/...850296835?s=20

Docere Mar 18, 2020 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8866572)

Hoping for the best.