SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

jtown,man May 21, 2020 5:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin (Post 8928694)
Won't someone think of the poor ol' millionaires? :(

I care about them, their spending helps keep economies going AND they are a HUGE part of those city's tax base, so it's important to everyone.

But in human aspects, I care about poorer people with NO job and little chance of getting another one for the time being.

iheartthed May 21, 2020 5:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 8928693)
Yes, me lol

I am enjoying a little freedom living a life right now in Arkansas that is 99% back to normal as far as I can see. And when I get back to Illinois next week, I will be doing all my shopping in Indiana until Illinois opens up everything.

Side note: I asked my girlfriend's mom and her sister if they have gone out to eat or shop yet. They both said no. Then her mom went on to say that it's because she is waiting until all the "rules" end and things are normal again. I am certain others are doing the same thing. She thought that since restaurants are at 33% capacity limits that they would be slammed, but they aren't. So hopefully when 100% of things go back to "normal" the economy will really pick up.

They'll be waiting for a long time... The capacity limits probably will not be relaxed without a vaccine or treatment.

chris08876 May 21, 2020 5:11 PM

I'm going to miss the quarantine lack-of-traffic once this is all over. Its been such a bliss driving when the roads are somewhat empty or not filled with mini-vans with baby on board stickers doing 10 in a 45 zone.

Low traffic in the NY area also makes the area hospitable for driving. Now that folks are back on the roads, with the easing of things, traffic is back up, but still quaint. Normally the Belt Parkway and BQE are madness or LI Expressway. Quarantine made those roads enjoyable.

jtown,man May 21, 2020 5:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8928708)
They'll be waiting for a long time... The capacity limits probably will not be relaxed without a vaccine or treatment.

Yeah right lol it's Arkansas, they are raising the limits to 66% like next week.

jtown,man May 21, 2020 5:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8928711)
I'm going to miss the quarantine lack-of-traffic once this is all over. Its been such a bliss driving when the roads are somewhat empty or not filled with mini-vans with baby on board stickers doing 10 in a 45 zone.

Low traffic in the NY area also makes the area hospitable for driving. Now that folks are back on the roads, with the easing of things, traffic is back up, but still quaint. Normally the Belt Parkway and BQE are madness or LI Expressway. Quarantine made those roads enjoyable.

Dude, yes! I have been going on "Sunday drives" since all of this started. Being new to Chicago, it has been nice to able to drive around with no traffic and being able to drive a little slower(without someone on my ass) to take in the hoods.

Crawford May 21, 2020 5:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8928711)
Its been such a bliss driving when the roads are somewhat empty or not filled with mini-vans with baby on board stickers doing 10 in a 45 zone.

They're all up in the Catskills this week. The Orthodox community mass-evacuates on Memorial and Labor Day weekends, even in a pandemic. Kosher supermarkets and restaurants in Brooklyn run deliveries up to the woods.

iheartthed May 21, 2020 5:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 8928714)
Yeah right lol it's Arkansas, they are raising the limits to 66% like next week.

Thought you meant they were in Illinois. Yeah, we'll see how that experiment in the South goes. I don't think it will end well, but fingers crossed.

Crawford May 21, 2020 5:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8928708)

If that's true, you can probably kiss 90% of restaurants goodbye. Restaurants cannot operate for years at half-capacity. Most probably can't even operate for months. Weekend crowds keep most dine-in restaurants alive, and you need to max capacity at prime hours.

jtown,man May 21, 2020 5:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8928731)
Thought you meant they were in Illinois. Yeah, we'll see how that experiment in the South goes. I don't think it will end well, but fingers crossed.

Oh my bad, I wasn't exact in my language, yeah in Arkansas. Illinois will probably increase the limit by 1% a month for the next two years lol

Yeah, I just hope the more rural nature of the South and the hot-humid weather helps them keep things at bay. Georgia has been a pretty solid place to look at thus far, INDEED fingers crossed.

iheartthed May 21, 2020 5:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 8928740)
If that's true, you can probably kiss 90% of restaurants goodbye. Restaurants cannot operate for years at half-capacity. Most probably can't even operate for months. Weekend crowds keep most dine-in restaurants alive, and you need to max capacity at prime hours.

Exactly...

JManc May 21, 2020 5:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8928690)
Maybe you’re not familiar with compensation structures in some industries. What if your annual bonus was 2-4x your base salary?

No one in prime Manhattan or London can afford their mortgage on the basis of their base salary.

My wife is in HR so I am pretty familiar with on-boarding process and how compensation packages are set up. Plus my own experiences. I also just said she gets generous bonuses but again, that's gravy. We don't budget that into our finances because it's never a sure thing such as coronaviruses and negative oil prices. Last year was a pretty good year, cash flow was great. 2020 is going to be shit. Perhaps I've been exposed to the oil and gas industry too long to be apprehensive about taking risks.

The fact that some people depend on these bonuses to sustain a certain (unsustainable) lifestyle is frankly, their problem. No one needs to live in 'prime' London or Manhattan unless they choose to.

the urban politician May 21, 2020 9:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8928773)
My wife is in HR so I am pretty familiar with on-boarding process and how compensation packages are set up. Plus my own experiences. I also just said she gets generous bonuses but again, that's gravy. We don't budget that into our finances because it's never a sure thing such as coronaviruses and negative oil prices. Last year was a pretty good year, cash flow was great. 2020 is going to be shit. Perhaps I've been exposed to the oil and gas industry too long to be apprehensive about taking risks.

The fact that some people depend on these bonuses to sustain a certain (unsustainable) lifestyle is frankly, their problem. No one needs to live in 'prime' London or Manhattan unless they choose to.

That’s probably a good point, but it doesn’t change the fact that people are getting screwed financially, and if you want people to stay at home and socially distance this is a lousy way to win them over.

It invites restlessness, anger, and resentment. And eventually people just refuse to follow these orders.

Thankfully there are States going about this a more sensible way. However, it does seem that many States have Governors who don’t want to budge from their rigid guidelines, because they perhaps a) don’t really understand the social and economic pain they are causing and b) haven’t bothered to realize the fact that in America Government is really not supposed to have this much unchecked power over people’s lives.

10023 May 21, 2020 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8928773)

So what then, I should just move to some suburb so that grandma feels safe going to the shops? Don’t think so.

These lockdowns are a farce.

Yuri May 21, 2020 10:42 PM

1,188 deaths today in Brazil. 20,047 overall.

The way things going with moving daily average up to +300/+400 every week, I guess by the end of the week, Brazil will overcome the US, which seemed to have stabilized at 1,500 daily. :(

sopas ej May 21, 2020 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8929044)
That’s probably a good point, but it doesn’t change the fact that people are getting screwed financially, and if you want people to stay at home and socially distance this is a lousy way to win them over.

It invites restlessness, anger, and resentment. And eventually people just refuse to follow these orders.

Thankfully there are States going about this a more sensible way. However, it does seem that many States have Governors who don’t want to budge from their rigid guidelines, because they perhaps a) don’t really understand the social and economic pain they are causing and b) haven’t bothered to realize the fact that in America Government is really not supposed to have this much unchecked power over people’s lives.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...b0&oe=5EEB822E

JManc May 21, 2020 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8929135)
So what then, I should just move to some suburb so that grandma feels safe going to the shops? Don’t think so.

I think the lockdowns have outlived their usefulness as they are but they weren't a farce early on. Unless you know more than the world's top epidemiologists. Otherwise get Fauci and Chris Whitty on the horn and set them straight.

As for 'suburbia', you missed my point. It's called mitigating risk.

the urban politician May 22, 2020 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8929154)

I’m aware that the Supreme Court has sadly failed our Constitution in this regard.

That feeble body has dropped the ball over and over (upholding rent control? Seriously?)

I still view it as unconstitutional. I’m glad Americans left and right are defying these stupid and unreasonable orders. We are adults, we get that there is a pandemic and many of us will play it safe, but being locked out of our livelihoods is no longer an option. We don’t need this goddamn police state-esque scenario.

suburbanite May 22, 2020 12:38 AM

Would it be unconstitutional if it was a truly lethal disease that killed something like 20% of healthy individuals? Would people violating stay at home orders be treasonous in such a situation? If so, what's the threshold for a constitutionally-supported lockdown?

I've always found interpretations of the constitution and the parallels with religious study interesting.

JAYNYC May 22, 2020 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8928690)
No one in prime Manhattan or London can afford their mortgage on the basis of their base salary.

Speak for yourself.

JAYNYC May 22, 2020 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8929135)

Common sense suggests people should live where they can truly afford to live, not where they can "afford" to live predicated on a dubious "bonus".