SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

TJPHXskyscraperfan Jul 8, 2020 2:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfiredude (Post 8974109)
You know development news is slowing when you're debating the prestige of Arizona colleges. In all seriousness, this is starting to remind me of lurking on this thread 2009-2013, when development news was beginning to slow (or was slow) & arguments over random shit always happened. Definitely had my fair share & not knocking anyone. Just kind of depressing. I wonder how many of these projects sitting in the planning stage will still get developed.

Well, we still have more stuff going on than ever before!!!

Obadno Jul 8, 2020 3:59 PM

Quote:

You know development news is slowing when you're debating the prestige of Arizona colleges. In all seriousness, this is starting to remind me of lurking on this thread 2009-2013, when development news was beginning to slow (or was slow) & arguments over random shit always happened. Definitely had my fair share & not knocking anyone. Just kind of depressing. I wonder how many of these projects sitting in the planning stage will still get developed.

As the guy said above this is the biggest building boom we have ever had downtown but with not a huge amount of photographers among our little community and downtown being dead for the time being there is not really much to talk about unless Palm Court or Astra break ground.

Or maybe by some Miracle Barrister will come out of hiding and file a permit or something.

CrestedSaguaro Jul 8, 2020 6:14 PM

Here's a little something...may not be much.

There is a construction fence around the Pink Liquor Store Melrose...like it's set to be demolished. Does anyone know anything on this? It would be amusing to see this get demo'd after the fight the neighborhood put up to keep it standing 2 years ago. Obviously the plan to redevelop it never happened.

biggus diggus Jul 8, 2020 6:24 PM

Not that it means anything but that fence has been there since late April. The fact it's been more than 60 days and no activity makes me think perhaps they are trying to keep vandalism down.

Phxguy Jul 8, 2020 6:24 PM

Phoenix lost the Clinton Campbell house the same night the mob petitioned to save the pink liquor store. Priorities, priorities....

CrestedSaguaro Jul 8, 2020 8:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8974758)
Not that it means anything but that fence has been there since late April. The fact it's been more than 60 days and no activity makes me think perhaps they are trying to keep vandalism down.

I do not recall anyone mentioning it and I did not notice it when I drove down 7th a few weeks ago, but I could've missed it. If it's been put up to save the building from vandalism, not much to save there. It would probably look better with some good graffiti added. :D

biggus diggus Jul 8, 2020 8:40 PM

Yeah, I kept meaning to post it but forgot. I noticed it when I was moving my office so about April 20th or so. Sorry.

ChaseM Jul 9, 2020 12:57 AM

More Hyatt Place renderings... https://www.instagram.com/p/CCWP6heHjQx/

combusean Jul 9, 2020 4:01 AM

Quote:

Everything in Phoenix shuts down in summer. Nobody takes pictures, nobody starts new projects or makes much progress on existing ones.

There's just no news, and it's been that way forever.

fawd Jul 9, 2020 4:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseM (Post 8975274)
More Hyatt Place renderings... https://www.instagram.com/p/CCWP6heHjQx/

Looks fantastic!

biggus diggus Jul 9, 2020 5:15 PM

I have small news.

There's a building at 3660 n 3rd Street, almost identical to the building-on-stilts at 7th and Roanoke they just converted to apartments. There's work going on and there are several permits that indicate a remodel is going on but nothing stating what the project is. I expect this one will be apartments but it's a pretty small building.

Classical in Phoenix Jul 9, 2020 6:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseM (Post 8975274)
More Hyatt Place renderings... https://www.instagram.com/p/C

CWP6heHjQx/

IMO, that looks great for that location.

Classical in Phoenix Jul 9, 2020 6:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8975857)
I have small news.

There's a building at 3660 n 3rd Street, almost identical to the building-on-stilts at 7th and Roanoke they just converted to apartments. There's work going on and there are several permits that indicate a remodel is going on but nothing stating what the project is. I expect this one will be apartments but it's a pretty small building.

I have always liked that building, a little quirky.

Chestnut1 Jul 9, 2020 10:11 PM

Quote:

I have small news.

I found a submittal that indicates it will be a six unit apartment building.

Phxguy Jul 10, 2020 12:41 AM

Quote:

I have small news.

This will fit seamlessly with the myriad of small infill projects being built between Central and 16th St. All of them are medium to high-density and low rise; no more than 3 stories. It’s a step towards filling in the central city I really dig because it infrequently draws opposition or controversy from neighbors and is built.

PHXFlyer11 Jul 10, 2020 3:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 8976455)
This will fit seamlessly with the myriad of small infill projects being built between Central and 16th St. All of them are medium to high-density and low rise; no more than 3 stories. It’s a step towards filling in the central city I really dig because it infrequently draws opposition or controversy from neighbors and is built.

That building was vacant and a blight for some time. Good to see this.

TJPHXskyscraperfan Jul 10, 2020 3:35 PM

Quote:

I have small news.

Yeah, it looks like they are tearing this one completely down as opposed to the one on 7th st that was redone for apartments.

biggus diggus Jul 10, 2020 4:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan (Post 8976925)
Yeah, it looks like they are tearing this one completely down as opposed to the one on 7th st that was redone for apartments.

I don't think that's accurate but I cannot tell you you're wrong.

"DESCRIPTION OF WORK:
DEMOLITION OF EXISTING EXTERIOR STUCCO SYSTEM THROUGHOUT BUILDING."

Sounds to me as though they are stripping the building down to the studs and redoing it with another finish.

PHXFlyer11 Jul 10, 2020 6:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8977003)
I don't think that's accurate but I cannot tell you you're wrong.

"DESCRIPTION OF WORK:
DEMOLITION OF EXISTING EXTERIOR STUCCO SYSTEM THROUGHOUT BUILDING."

Sounds to me as though they are stripping the building down to the studs and redoing it with another finish.

That's what it looks like to me also. They stripped the building frame. I would think if it was coming down they'd just crush the whole thing, no need to take care of the frame.

combusean Jul 11, 2020 12:30 AM

That 7th and Roanoke project is such an improvement and great example of reuse. I love it when developers add floors to buildings.