SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | Hyde Park Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199386)

Jim in Chicago Apr 2, 2019 2:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 8525830)
Hyde Park is really known for its old warehouse buildings, so it's a fitting addition. ;)

I get that this type of building isn't in Hyde Park's traditional vernacular, but let just say that she's a beaut! Fits the corner nicely, great brick work, big windows. And the icing is that the Mesler restaurant is pretty darn good. A real win.

i_am_hydrogen Apr 11, 2019 7:55 PM

Web cam for the Rubenstein Forum

You need to have Flash Player enabled to view it. Works best in IE.
http://webcampub.multivista.com/inde...7-CBF20B3E6743

jc5680 Apr 12, 2019 2:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen (Post 8537285)
You need to have Flash Player enabled to view it. Works best in IE.

What year is it?

Busy Bee Apr 12, 2019 3:19 AM

Honestly I don't know anymore

Jim in Chicago Apr 12, 2019 2:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen (Post 8537285)
Web cam for the Rubenstein Forum

You need to have Flash Player enabled to view it. Works best in IE.
http://webcampub.multivista.com/inde...7-CBF20B3E6743

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc5680 (Post 8537693)
What year is it?

Clearly enabled for the 3 people in the world who still use IE.

spyguy May 19, 2019 5:02 PM

No one posted the big news that Trader Joe's is (partially) replacing the vacant Treasure Island? Should be a big boost for the neighborhood.

Also, updated rendering of the next phase of Harper Court, the Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation:

https://i.postimg.cc/Y9w2cXbV/D6sz-RSy-Xo-AIac9q.jpg

TimeAgain May 19, 2019 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy (Post 8578119)
No one posted the big news that Trader Joe's is (partially) replacing the vacant Treasure Island? Should be a big boost for the neighborhood.

Also, updated rendering of the next phase of Harper Court, the Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation:

https://i.postimg.cc/Y9w2cXbV/D6sz-RSy-Xo-AIac9q.jpg

Any updates about this? Haven't heard anything in a long while.

Urbana May 20, 2019 4:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeAgain (Post 8578342)
Any updates about this? Haven't heard anything in a long while.

I heard through contacts in the university that it is definitely moving forward and a ground breaking will be announced in the next few months (maybe sooner).

ChickeNES May 20, 2019 7:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy (Post 8578119)
No one posted the big news that Trader Joe's is (partially) replacing the vacant Treasure Island? Should be a big boost for the neighborhood.

As someone who lives in the neighborhood, TJ's was second to last on my list (only before Aldi). I was hoping for an actual full-service grocery store, instead of another store targeting the same demographic as Hyde Park Produce, Whole Foods, and Open Produce. :yuck:

SIGSEGV May 20, 2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickeNES (Post 8578544)
As someone who lives in the neighborhood, TJ's was second to last on my list (only before Aldi). I was hoping for an actual full-service grocery store, instead of another store targeting the same demographic as Hyde Park Produce, Whole Foods, and Open Produce. :yuck:

Well, there's the Jewel at 61st and Cottage...

BonoboZill4 May 20, 2019 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickeNES (Post 8578544)
As someone who lives in the neighborhood, TJ's was second to last on my list (only before Aldi). I was hoping for an actual full-service grocery store, instead of another store targeting the same demographic as Hyde Park Produce, Whole Foods, and Open Produce. :yuck:

Talking smack about Aldi should be illegal... :hell:

Busy Bee May 20, 2019 10:43 PM

For real. Aldi doesn't pretend to be a normal grocery. Everyone knows its for the lowest priced staples and almost perfect record of having certain house brand foods who's inferiority to the name brand is immediately noticeable. Everyone knows that. It's for folks like myself who don't mind paying much less for raisins that are dry, sticky and have sand in them, knock off cereal that tastes about 70% like the real thing, tortilla chips that double as drink coasters, and super cheap sandwich cheese where Sargento would cost about twice as much. The milk tastes the same as it uses the same brand name cows as the other guys. The bread is well very bready and trying to say there's a difference is like that famous humiliating wine test that everyone sites as why wine experts are full of shit. And Haribo gummies for .89 cents! Aldi is for folks who either absolutely have to or don't mind paying less for certain foods that they know darn well aren't as good as the name brands but that maximizing their dollar is their number one priority.

the urban politician May 20, 2019 11:13 PM

I'd like to see.......

None of the above.

Tear that suburban wasteland down and replace it with multistory mixed use buildings

BonoboZill4 May 20, 2019 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busy Bee (Post 8579095)
For real. Aldi doesn't pretend to be a normal grocery. Everyone knows its for the lowest priced staples and almost perfect record of having certain house brand foods who's inferiority to the name brand is immediately noticeable. Everyone knows that. It's for folks like myself who don't mind paying much less for raisins that are dry, sticky and have sand in them, knock off cereal that tastes about 70% like the real thing, tortilla chips that double as drink coasters, and super cheap sandwich cheese where Sargento would cost about twice as much. The milk tastes the same as it uses the same brand name cows as the other guys. The bread is well very bready and trying to say there's a difference is like that famous humiliating wine test that everyone sites as why wine experts are full of shit. And Haribo gummies for .89 cents! Aldi is for folks who either absolutely have to or don't mind paying less for certain foods that they know darn well aren't as good as the name brands but that maximizing their dollar is their number one priority.

Amen

ChickeNES May 21, 2019 7:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8579119)
I'd like to see.......

None of the above.

Tear that suburban wasteland down and replace it with multistory mixed use buildings

:righton:

west-town-brad May 21, 2019 9:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busy Bee (Post 8579095)
For real. Aldi doesn't pretend to be a normal grocery. Everyone knows its for the lowest priced staples and almost perfect record of having certain house brand foods who's inferiority to the name brand is immediately noticeable. Everyone knows that. It's for folks like myself who don't mind paying much less for raisins that are dry, sticky and have sand in them, knock off cereal that tastes about 70% like the real thing, tortilla chips that double as drink coasters, and super cheap sandwich cheese where Sargento would cost about twice as much. The milk tastes the same as it uses the same brand name cows as the other guys. The bread is well very bready and trying to say there's a difference is like that famous humiliating wine test that everyone sites as why wine experts are full of shit. And Haribo gummies for .89 cents! Aldi is for folks who either absolutely have to or don't mind paying less for certain foods that they know darn well aren't as good as the name brands but that maximizing their dollar is their number one priority.

My wife and I exclusively shop at ALDI and we certainly do not have to. Many members of my friends and family do as well. No idea where you get this idea that their products are inferior. Most of the products are produced by the same companies just with different labels. Cost difference goes to fund product advertising.

Funny you cite raisins as 95% of the global crop comes from the same growers/producers and are sold via an industry controlled co-op. They are literately exactly the same. (My company runs advertising for one of the big raisin brands)

the urban politician May 21, 2019 10:15 PM

My parents shop at Aldi Aldi time

Busy Bee May 21, 2019 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west-town-brad (Post 8580042)
My wife and I exclusively shop at ALDI and we certainly do not have to. Many members of my friends and family do as well. No idea where you get this idea that their products are inferior. Most of the products are produced by the same companies just with different labels. Cost difference goes to fund product advertising.

Funny you cite raisins as 95% of the global crop comes from the same growers/producers and are sold via an industry controlled co-op. They are literately exactly the same. (My company runs advertising for one of the big raisin brands)

There's a lot of facetiousness in there in case you didn't pick up on it. I love Aldi, and did not imply that only people that have to shop there, I say that pretty clearly. But you're crazy if you think that all their house brands are of the same quality as the brand name makers that many supply Aldi with. The raisins are case in point. Go buy a box of Sun Maid and a box from Aldi and tell me the Aldi raisins aren't seconds or questionable with the sticky syrup and stems on every fifth raisin. Snacks exactly the same. You'd have to be drunk to think Clancy's are as good as most the name brands.

As a side note, this is probably the goofiest discussion I've ever taken part in on SSP.

Busy Bee May 21, 2019 10:26 PM

I went to Austria and literally spent about a cumulative 2 hours trying to find a canvas tote bag from Hofer I could bring home with me. That's how much I like Aldi, so please.

South Side May 21, 2019 10:42 PM

I can’t wait for the next phase of Harper Court . The area is coming along nice. 53 street corridor is always busy and full of life .


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.