SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

exit2lef Nov 10, 2022 6:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 9787171)
This isnt downtown who cares?:shrug:

Agreed. For a parcel of land situated between the canal and the freeway, several miles removed from Downtown, this is actually a pretty good land use.

downtownphxguy12 Nov 11, 2022 3:13 PM

new bakery
 
proof bakery out of mesa is moving into one of the storefronts at eco phx.

can;t wait to go get morning croissants!

Proofbread.com

PHX-DUDE-MAN Nov 11, 2022 3:53 PM

Great view of downtown
 
Here is a really nice recent view of downtown Phoenix. It's increased density tremendously within the last 10 years:

https://youtu.be/h6SId3yAk8c

muertecaza Nov 11, 2022 4:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 (Post 9787964)
proof bakery out of mesa is moving into one of the storefronts at eco phx.

can;t wait to go get morning croissants!

Proofbread.com

Awesome. To any non-eastsiders that haven't been, can't recommend it highly enough.

exit2lef Nov 12, 2022 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muertecaza (Post 9788041)
Awesome. To any non-eastsiders that haven't been, can't recommend it highly enough.

I'm surprised they're expanding to multiple locations. I love Proof, but it seems like just yesterday that they were a home-based business struggling with city code issues and then opening their current facility on Main. I wish them well but hope they don't undermine themselves by expanding too quickly.

CrestedSaguaro Nov 17, 2022 5:26 PM

3200 North Central Residential Tower
 
New Midtown multi-family proposal for 3200 N. Central.

If anyone recalls, there was originally a pre-app for a 250' proposal in this spot in 2019. Looks like it's been dropped for a new 16 story development. This will sit in-between 3200 and 3300. Renderings look good and would add some really good density/fill to Midtown. Architect has changed from CCBG to Davis.

View docs on my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...eG?usp=sharing


https://i.imgur.com/upI5D0A.png


https://i.imgur.com/JitntSE.png


https://i.imgur.com/YVJMcD0.png

IndyAZ Nov 17, 2022 6:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9792996)
New Midtown multi-family proposal for 3200 N. Central.

Unfortunately that project is dead, at least for the time being due to construction costs.

CrestedSaguaro Nov 17, 2022 8:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyAZ (Post 9793064)
Unfortunately that project is dead, at least for the time being due to construction costs.

The PAPP was just submitted. How is it dead already?

IndyAZ Nov 17, 2022 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9793160)
The PAPP was just submitted. How is it dead already?

Preliminary pricing came back right after and developer walked.. Also, it wasn't submitted today, if you review the forms, it was submitted Sept. 7th, its just now showing up in the City system.

ASU Diablo Nov 28, 2022 5:31 PM

How Metrocenter redevelopment, light rail extension could benefit AZ chip industry
 
Moving forward...breaking ground next year!

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...l-castles.html

Quote:

Developers of the $1 billion Metrocenter Mall redevelopment project are set to move forward with purchasing the 80-acre site and demolishing most of the buildings by next year.

Florida-based Concord Willshire Capital LLC and TLG Investment Partners and Texas-based Hines received the final approvals needed from the city of Phoenix for a tax incentive agreement, or Government Property Lease Excise Tax treatment, last week.

This means the developers will lease the property from the city for 25 years once it's built and pay an excise tax that's lower than what the property tax would be for the apartment complexes. Right now, the site produces $500,000 in property taxes, while the new development will produce $2.5 million to $3 million annually in excise taxes through the GPLET, said Steve Betts, a consultant for the project who is also a managing director at Holualoa Cos.

"The reason that's important is that trying to redevelop an old mall like this is not for the faint of heart, it is very expensive to be able to demolish and do all of the abatement work and untangle the spaghetti of infrastructure under that existing mall and then be able to put in new infrastructure," Betts told the Business Journal.

The decrease in taxes for the apartments will help offset costs associated with asbestos abatement, demolition and removal of existing infrastructure, Betts said, adding that the costs and difficulty of taking on a project of this scope is what prevented companies from wanting to redevelop the site for 10 years.

Potential rapid bus could connect TSMC workers to light rail

Betts said this location is a "prized" transit-oriented development site due to the multi-modal transportation options such as a rapid bus link and planned elevated light rail station and expansion. Also notable is the fact that the site is close to the planned Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. factory, he said.

"We're talking to the city about having rapid bus connections from this urban village to the north to provide worker transit to the Taiwanese semiconductor and their supplier plants," Betts said. "This urban village, which will have 3,000 dwelling units and potentially 5,000 workers, would have the ability to hop on light rail to go south into the center city or hop on a rapid bus route and go north to any of these employers that are now under construction."
In May, the first development agreement was approved to reimburse the developer for construction of parking garages. Now, the development team is preparing to close on the mall property, start asbestos assessment and demolish the buildings in the first quarter of 2023. Site work will continue through 2023 so it's ready for apartment construction to commence by the end of next year, Betts said.

In total, the current plans for the redevelopment include approximately 2,850 apartment units, including potential condominiums, a minimum of 100,000 square feet of retail space, two hotels and a public park and plaza. Betts said the apartments will be within the 80 to 120% of the area median income-range, while much of the new retail at the Village will feature services and convenience stores.

"We're trying not to inappropriately impact the wonderful existing retail that's right around us," Betts said. "We have a number of other high-quality restaurants and retailers right along Peoria right outside our door step."
The existing Walmart Supercenter will remain at the site and be attached to the town center, while the existing self-storage facility will also stay.

Construction impacts: Developers working with businesses

With both the light rail extension and ongoing Metrocenter redevelopment project underway, one business in the area previously raised concerns about potential impacts of construction.

This summer, Metrocenter's neighbor, the longtime Castles N' Coasters, sent a letter to the city with fears over construction in the area affecting the park and the future Village project negatively impacting its business.
Betts said the developers hadn't met with Castles N' Coasters before it sent a letter to the city but have since sat down with the owner to address his concerns.

"Now that we've had an opportunity to meet and spend almost two hours talking through the project, all the details of the project, we believe he is very supportive now, because we will be bringing many quality patrons to this project," Betts said, adding that Castles N' Coasters' main concerns were accessibility and visibility during construction and security. "We assured them, [safety] was our No. 1 issue, that we are in fact going to have security ... we are in the process of negotiating for a police office that's part of our town center that we would donate."

Jeff Stapleton, the program manager for Phoenix's transit oriented development, said the city wants developers to have a "great relationship" with properties around them and that the developers of Metrocenter helped fund a community organizing effort to engage more businesses and property owners in the area.

Betts said Councilwoman Ann O'Brien's office set up a series of meetings with business groups in the area and that the developers and the city jointly funded an outreach person to give businesses and property owners a voice in improvements as the project progresses.

Light rail expansion: Set to open by 2024

A key piece of the Metrocenter redevelopment is the Northwest Extension II of the Valley's light rail system, which first opened in 2008 and has expanded to 28 miles of rail and three miles of temporary streetcars.

One of Valley Metro's two active construction light rail projects includes the Northwest Extension Phase II and an expansion into south Phoenix, a total of seven miles of active construction.

The Northwest Extension will extend the light rail west on Dunlap Avenue from 19th Avenue and then north on 25th Avenue and across Interstate 17 at Mountain View Road and ending west of the freeway at the former mall site. It will also include three stops along the extension and a park-and-ride location at the former mall site.

"This is pushing another mile and half into northwest Phoenix to connect communities and give them another option," said Trevor Collon, Valley Metro's deputy director of construction. "We've [also] seen consistently that economic redevelopment does happen around our light rail corridor, so that's an ancillary benefit as well, that people are interested in living and working around the stations."

As of November 2022, Collon said the $401 million Northwest Expansion II is about 60% completed. It's expected to open in early 2024 and help connect West Valley communities to Phoenix.

"If you've been out there or had the opportunity to be around it, you're going to see a lot of visible progress in the last year or so," Collon said. "We've connected our bridge over the I-17. Every single one of our three new stations have gone into the air."

In the summer of 2023, Valley Metro said the project will appear completed, but during this time the agency will be testing the light rail to make sure all of the systems are working. In addition, the light rail station platforms will feature artwork from seven artists, Valley Metro said. This expansion project also includes an elevated light rail station, which is the first in the Valley metro system, a parking garage, and a transit center for buses underneath the platform, which is where Metrocenter's existing transit center will be moved to.

It will also have a direct connection from the garage to the elevated station, so people can park and walk across to the station on a bridge, he added. To date, the expansion project has hired more than 1,500 workers including engineers, construction workers to public relations and real estate professionals.

az_daniel Nov 29, 2022 5:51 PM

The Camelback Esplanade will be getting a new amenity building filled with some pretty cool stuff as part of a $45 million renovation. Scheduled for 1Q 2023 groundbreaking, per PBJ. This investment comes as the Esplanade is now 90% leased. A great sign for office space on the Camelback corridor.

azsunsurfer Nov 29, 2022 8:58 PM

Cool...so they want chip workers to spend the time to go downtown on lightrail and then take a bus north to their plant...lol

exit2lef Nov 29, 2022 9:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 9801984)
Cool...so they want chip workers to spend the time to go downtown on lightrail and then take a bus north to their plant...lol

The article is pretty vauge, but I don't think the intention is to have workers go Downtown. Instead, I think the suggestion is to have an express bus between MetroCenter and the chip plant. That could provide a connection to light rail for chip workers reverse commuting from Downtown. It would also provide an option for workers who live in a redeveloped MetroCenter district. I don't know if either scenario is viable, but I don't think anyone is expected to pass through Downtown who doesn't already live there.

MiEncanto Nov 29, 2022 9:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 9802032)
The article is pretty vauge, but I don't think the intention is to have workers go Downtown. Instead, I think the suggestion is to have an express bus between MetroCenter and the chip plant. That could provide a connection to light rail for chip workers reverse commuting from Downtown. It would also provide an option for workers who live in a redeveloped MetroCenter district. I don't know if either scenario is viable, but I don't think anyone is expected to pass through Downtown who doesn't already live there.

None of this makes any sense. I still have a hard time seeing this project pencil out, especially in this debt market. I know I'm pretty cynical about being on the receiving end of the LR line... but I just don't see this area magically becoming interesting enough to capture the rents these developers expect.

Obadno Nov 29, 2022 9:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 9802032)
The article is pretty vauge, but I don't think the intention is to have workers go Downtown. Instead, I think the suggestion is to have an express bus between MetroCenter and the chip plant. That could provide a connection to light rail for chip workers reverse commuting from Downtown. It would also provide an option for workers who live in a redeveloped MetroCenter district. I don't know if either scenario is viable, but I don't think anyone is expected to pass through Downtown who doesn't already live there.

I think the angle is that chip workers will live in the Metrocenter development that will have rapid transit to the TSMC factory and connect to the light rail network.

Mostly hot air for marketing purposes as we know 99% of TSMC's workforce will drive.

DesertRay Nov 29, 2022 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 9802044)
I think the angle is that chip workers will live in the Metrocenter development that will have rapid transit to the TSMC factory and connect to the light rail network.

Mostly hot air for marketing purposes as we know 99% of TSMC's workforce will drive.

I'm assuming that the bus will connect the folks working at the HQ next to Metrocenter with the factory up north.

CrestedSaguaro Dec 1, 2022 4:56 PM

Weather Cams
 
Not sure how long these have been around, but I have not seen these before. AZ Family has a slew of weather cams and a few are good views of downtown, especially the Phoenix Children's cam.

They do not appear to be live, but I'm sure they update periodically. If you right-click and selct open image in new tab, you get a much larger image than the popup.

Enjoy :cheers:

https://www.azfamily.com/weather/cams/

az_daniel Dec 1, 2022 7:15 PM

Mayo Clinic's west expansion ribbon cutting is tomorrow :cheers:

az_daniel Dec 1, 2022 7:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9803827)
Not sure how long these have been around, but I have not seen these before. AZ Family has a slew of weather cams and a few are good views of downtown, especially the Phoenix Children's cam.

They do not appear to be live, but I'm sure they update periodically. If you right-click and selct open image in new tab, you get a much larger image than the popup.

Enjoy :cheers:

https://www.azfamily.com/weather/cams/

Also, windy.com has a slew of webcams all over the place, including these weather cams, ADEQ cams, all the ADOT cams which can sometimes give you great views of buildings being built, and many others. https://www.windy.com/

CrestedSaguaro Dec 2, 2022 11:59 PM

509 W. Monroe Tower
 
Another mixed-use proposal at 509 W. Monroe (SE corner of 6th Ave and Monroe).

This one is interesting as this is proposed in western downtown. The Height is a little disapointing at 24 floors (about 250'ish feet). But the fact that this is proposed so close to 7th Ave is probably a good indicator of tower development apporaching the western edges of downtown where height limits are in the 650' range.

Not much in the way of information other than 24 floors and BKL Architecture is involved. You can view the Fact Finding docs on my Google Drive at: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...usp=share_link

combusean Dec 3, 2022 12:22 AM

Same developer doing that T shaped stubby thing on Central and Fillmore.

The height is meh but I'll take anything this late in the cycle, especially in a crummy area of town.

ChaseM Dec 3, 2022 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9805406)
Another mixed-use proposal at 509 W. Monroe (SE corner of 6th Ave and Monroe).

This one is interesting as this is proposed in western downtown. The Height is a little disapointing at 24 floors (about 250'ish feet). But the fact that this is proposed so close to 7th Ave is probably a good indicator of tower development apporaching the western edges of downtown where height limits are in the 650' range.

Not much in the way of information other than 24 floors and BKL Architecture is involved. You can view the Fact Finding docs on my Google Drive at: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...usp=share_link

Sorry if this has already been brought up but this building also looks to include a parking podium based on the site plan. Is there some city code that requires a certain amount of parking spaces for these projects? I'm glad that part of the city is getting something in that area but parking podiums are just such an eye sore.

exit2lef Dec 3, 2022 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseM (Post 9806027)
Sorry if this has already been brought up but this building also looks to include a parking podium based on the site plan. Is there some city code that requires a certain amount of parking spaces for these projects? I'm glad that part of the city is getting something in that area but parking podiums are just such an eye sore.

There are prescribed ratios of dwelling units to parking spaces, but the city has gotten better about letting developers build less parking in areas near the light rail corridor. That's only half the battle, though. The other issue is that lenders may see reduced parking as a risky investment. I continue to believe that the best solution is unbundled parking. Instead of providing a parking space with every apartment at no charge, have a separate price for parking. That will allow for better calibration of supply and demand. And, to anticpate how this position is often misunderstood, that doesn't mean "no parking." It means the amount of parking that tenants want badly enough that they're willing to pay market rates for it.

Ttown5 Dec 4, 2022 4:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 9806061)
There are prescribed ratios of dwelling units to parking spaces, but the city has gotten better about letting developers build less parking in areas near the light rail corridor. That's only half the battle, though. The other issue is that lenders may see reduced parking as a risky investment. I continue to believe that the best solution is unbundled parking. Instead of providing a parking space with every apartment at no charge, have a separate price for parking. That will allow for better calibration of supply and demand. And, to anticpate how this position is often misunderstood, that doesn't mean "no parking." It means the amount of parking that tenants want badly enough that they're willing to pay market rates for it.

I can't remember the last time I heard of an apartment going up that didnt have market rate parking and was included in the rent. Most if not all apartments that are in the downtown areas have paid parking, specifically if they are towers. In my last apartment in Tempe it was $125 a month for a spot. I can't tell you an apartment that any friends lived in that didnt have to pay for parking.

exit2lef Dec 4, 2022 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttown5 (Post 9806221)
I can't remember the last time I heard of an apartment going up that didnt have market rate parking and was included in the rent. Most if not all apartments that are in the downtown areas have paid parking, specifically if they are towers. In my last apartment in Tempe it was $125 a month for a spot. I can't tell you an apartment that any friends lived in that didnt have to pay for parking.

Thanks. I'm glad to hear that. Maybe we've made more progress than I thought.

az_daniel Dec 5, 2022 6:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9805406)
Another mixed-use proposal at 509 W. Monroe (SE corner of 6th Ave and Monroe).

This one is interesting as this is proposed in western downtown. The Height is a little disapointing at 24 floors (about 250'ish feet). But the fact that this is proposed so close to 7th Ave is probably a good indicator of tower development apporaching the western edges of downtown where height limits are in the 650' range.

Not much in the way of information other than 24 floors and BKL Architecture is involved. You can view the Fact Finding docs on my Google Drive at: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...usp=share_link

What an absolutely fascinating location for a highrise, lol. I guess the Van Buren corridor to Grand could really get hot.

Obadno Dec 5, 2022 9:07 PM

Ive been thinking that those blocks between Washington and Van Buren along 7 are ripe for development. Get the fox studio out of there and replaced, get rid of that shitty motel and crackhead McDonalds, the black warehouse, Phoenix PD is supposedly remodeling their HQ at some point. there are even some cool old buildings that would make great restaurants/shops if revitalized.

I would also really like if that whole 5 way with Grand coming in would get redeveloped with some cool mixed use that embrace the triangular lots

ASU Diablo Dec 5, 2022 9:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 9807460)
Ive been thinking that those blocks between Washington and Van Buren along 7 are ripe for development. Get the fox studio out of there and replaced, get rid of that shitty motel and crackhead McDonalds, the black warehouse, Phoenix PD is supposedly remodeling their HQ at some point. there are even some cool old buildings that would make great restaurants/shops if revitalized.

I would also really like if that whole 5 way with Grand coming in would get redeveloped with some cool mixed use that embrace the triangular lots

Phoenix PD is actually moving to the old WF tower so this may be another lot that opens up if the City decides to sell.

az_daniel Dec 5, 2022 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 9807460)
Ive been thinking that those blocks between Washington and Van Buren along 7 are ripe for development. Get the fox studio out of there and replaced, get rid of that shitty motel and crackhead McDonalds, the black warehouse, Phoenix PD is supposedly remodeling their HQ at some point. there are even some cool old buildings that would make great restaurants/shops if revitalized.

I would also really like if that whole 5 way with Grand coming in would get redeveloped with some cool mixed use that embrace the triangular lots

Agreed, the fabric is there for a really dynamic area complimented by some really great historic buildings that would create a nice transition between the downtown core and lower grand. The Adams street garage creates such a dead zone - hopefully these developments start to pull activity further west. Definitely can feel unsafe at times just because there is never anyone around.

xymox Dec 6, 2022 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by az_daniel (Post 9807637)
Agreed, the fabric is there for a really dynamic area complimented by some really great historic buildings that would create a nice transition between the downtown core and lower grand. The Adams street garage creates such a dead zone - hopefully these developments start to pull activity further west. Definitely can feel unsafe at times just because there is never anyone around.

It'd be nice to see 7th Ave activate all the way up to Roosevelt - Walter Studios just opened up there and has been having some nice late night shows on the weekend. Unfortunately there's NOTHING nearby that isn't a 15 min walk away...

thespiandave Dec 11, 2022 5:14 PM

Howdy! I snagged some updated pics this weekend of Central Station, Moon Tower, Skye and the skyline!

https://imgur.com/gallery/iwXu6Gg

FireMedic Dec 11, 2022 5:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thespiandave (Post 9812756)
Howdy! I snagged some updated pics this weekend of Central Station, Moon Tower, Skye and the skyline!

https://imgur.com/gallery/iwXu6Gg


Now all I want is Astra 1 and Link 3

TllrSkyline-01 Dec 11, 2022 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireMedic (Post 9812788)
Now all I want is Astra 1 and Link 3

Agree - Astra will dramatically fill and raise the skyline!

PHX31 Dec 13, 2022 5:32 PM

Speaking of the YC's going in near Cibo on 5th Ave & Fillmore... didn't someone at one point post that the next phase of the development was starting construction on the SWC of 5th Ave & Fillmore ("The Fillmore"? can't remember the name)? Or was it just that the final building plans were submitted? Hopefully it'll be starting soon.

It would be great to finally fill in that empty lot and wall off the great portion of the Roosevelt neighborhood north of Fillmore from the sparse junky area south toward Van Buren. I can remember going to Cibo at some point after the Thomas J Pappas school was closed and demo'd (actually, probably before that happened too) thinking that whole area to the south with tons of empty lots will never be filled. Now, I imagine a dinner on the patio at Cibo is so much nicer being nestled amongst actual buildings to the south.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4548...7i16384!8i8192

---versus---

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4547...7i13312!8i6656

ASU Diablo Dec 13, 2022 6:13 PM

Proposed office complex, headquarters could bring 1,100 jobs to Valley
 
Interesting! Good news for the Valley.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-proposed.html
Quote:

The city of Phoenix is considering a development agreement for what the city says could be one of the first large-scale office announcements in the U.S. since the Covid-19 pandemic.

The new development is expected to include a 32-acre office campus with a 300,000-square-foot facility developed by Chevelle Properties LLC.

The first phase is estimated to total a $198 million investment and create or retain 1,100 high-wage jobs, according to a city report, which does not identify the developer or the potential company considering Phoenix for its headquarters due to a nondisclosure agreement.

Through codename "Project Christmas," the proposed development is associated with an upcoming Arizona State Land Department Auction scheduled for Dec. 27, according to state land documents. The state land department is holding an auction for about 35 acres close to the southwest corner of Tatum and Mayo boulevards for a minimum bid of $29.4 million.

The property is located in close proximity to the Desert Ridge Marketplace and the Mayo Clinic campus in north Phoenix near State Route 51 and Loop 101. The developer is currently undergoing due diligence on locations in the city of Phoenix, while a final site will be selected before they enter into a development agreement, according to the city report.

City documents say the developer is a "national leader" in its industry with annual revenue in the billions with thousands of locations across the U.S. It also says the "established and well-known" company will be able to call Phoenix home and provide thousands of jobs to residents. It's unclear if the developer and company are separate entities.

"Nationally this project would be one of the first large-scale office employment announcements since the pandemic and signifies a return to normal business and recovery from the Covid-19 pandemic," the city report added.

City to vote on development agreement
On Wednesday, Phoenix City Council is scheduled to vote on a development agreement with Chevelle Properties LLC to reimburse the developer for up to $5 million in public infrastructure improvements to support the new office project and surrounding area.

According to the Arizona Corporation Commission, Chevelle Properties LLC is connected to Phoenix law firm Salmon, Lewis & Weldon PLC and Harvard Business Services Inc., a business incorporation service in Delaware.

The public infrastructure improvements include street frontage and intersection upgrades, water and sewer main extensions along the frontage of the project and any other floodplain or other regional traffic improvements, city documents said.

The reimbursements will be funded annually through the city's strategic economic development fund and general fund portion of eligible transaction privilege tax revenue generated from the site for 10 years.

"These taxes shall be comprised primarily of the taxes relating to the construction and installation of the public infrastructure improvements, private infrastructure improvements, and build-out of the project," the city report said.

The development agreement will end a decade after the project is completed and city's acceptance of public infrastructure improvements.

The new office facility could be one of the largest proposed in recent months. Across the Valley, new class A office buildings have been proposed or completed in cities including Peoria, Goodyear and Phoenix. In addition, demand for premium office space has continued to stay strong, with the bulk of the Valley's leases signed in Q3 at class A properties.

RED Development's new The Grove project, a 180,000-square-foot office building in Phoenix's Arcadia neighborhood, is now fully leased to companies such as Sendoso, Clayco, Clear Sky Capital and more.

At the same time, technology companies including Tempe-based Carvana have continued to announce or plan mass layoffs across the U.S., but it's unclear how this has impacted the Phoenix metro.
https://i.postimg.cc/Qt0RSxz9/EE5119...C95-EF4-F5.jpg

MiEncanto Dec 13, 2022 6:43 PM

That is good news. It's nice to see so many employers on the north end of the city which is great for diversifying where people work and live. But I can't help but wince because when I saw the headline and development agreement, I was hoping for a HQ landing downtown. Or even midtown. I really think the missing link to downtown Phx is 1-2 fortune 500 company HQ and 2-3 midsize companies. At this rate it's only been education and government and I don't think that's diverse enough.

xymox Dec 13, 2022 6:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiEncanto (Post 9814486)
That is good news. It's nice to see so many employers on the north end of the city which is great for diversifying where people work and live. But I can't help but wince because when I saw the headline and development agreement, I was hoping for a HQ landing downtown. Or even midtown. I really think the missing link to downtown Phx is 1-2 fortune 500 company HQ and 2-3 midsize companies. At this rate it's only been education and government and I don't think that's diverse enough.

It's gonna be kinda ironic if all the people living downtown have to commute to the outskirts of the city for work (i.e. - this site or TSMC...). Hopefully someone will have the vision of what downtown can be with their presence and make it happen.

Obadno Dec 13, 2022 6:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xymox (Post 9814494)
It's gonna be kinda ironic if all the people living downtown have to commute to the outskirts of the city for work (i.e. - this site or TSMC...). Hopefully someone will have the vision of what downtown can be with their presence and make it happen.

I already do that, work in North Scottsdale live near midtown.

combusean Dec 13, 2022 8:18 PM

I was living downtown and looking for work and I found myself pretty much interviewing in a bulbous semicircle from 19th Ave/101 to 202/56th St. "Reverse commutes" have been a thing for a very long time.

300,000 sqft on 32 acres sounds like something from the 1980s though. I'm hoping they got this wrong and this is a multiphased thing with more diversity of uses and structured parking.

BA744PHX Dec 14, 2022 4:35 PM

Good Morning,

Potentially interesting development, anyone have an idea who this company might be?


The first phase is estimated to total a $198 million investment and create or retain 1,100 high-wage jobs, according to a city report, which does not identify the developer or the potential company considering Phoenix for its headquarters due to a nondisclosure agreement.

City documents say the developer is a "national leader" in its industry with annual revenue in the billions with thousands of locations across the U.S. It also says the "established and well-known" company will be able to call Phoenix home and provide thousands of jobs to residents. It's unclear if the developer and company are separate entities.

"Nationally this project would be one of the first large-scale office employment announcements since the pandemic and signifies a return to normal business and recovery from the Covid-19 pandemic," the city report added.


https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-proposed.html

Obadno Dec 14, 2022 4:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BA744PHX (Post 9815310)
Good Morning,

Potentially interesting development, anyone have an idea who this company might be?


The first phase is estimated to total a $198 million investment and create or retain 1,100 high-wage jobs, according to a city report, which does not identify the developer or the potential company considering Phoenix for its headquarters due to a nondisclosure agreement.

City documents say the developer is a "national leader" in its industry with annual revenue in the billions with thousands of locations across the U.S. It also says the "established and well-known" company will be able to call Phoenix home and provide thousands of jobs to residents. It's unclear if the developer and company are separate entities.

"Nationally this project would be one of the first large-scale office employment announcements since the pandemic and signifies a return to normal business and recovery from the Covid-19 pandemic," the city report added.


https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-proposed.html

Considering the location I am going to go with Financial Services/Insurance like all of North Scottsdale.

But who knows, we have been getting lots of manufacturing maybe it will be something more unique. High Tech Equipment sales? German or Taiwanese companies that are part of semi-conductor and EV supply chains? who knows

RichTempe Dec 14, 2022 5:04 PM

Same article from yesterday
 
This is the same article/development that ASU Diablo posted yesterday:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BA744PHX (Post 9815310)
Good Morning,

Potentially interesting development, anyone have an idea who this company might be?


The first phase is estimated to total a $198 million investment and create or retain 1,100 high-wage jobs, according to a city report, which does not identify the developer or the potential company considering Phoenix for its headquarters due to a nondisclosure agreement.

City documents say the developer is a "national leader" in its industry with annual revenue in the billions with thousands of locations across the U.S. It also says the "established and well-known" company will be able to call Phoenix home and provide thousands of jobs to residents. It's unclear if the developer and company are separate entities.

"Nationally this project would be one of the first large-scale office employment announcements since the pandemic and signifies a return to normal business and recovery from the Covid-19 pandemic," the city report added.


https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-proposed.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 9814453)


IndyAZ Dec 14, 2022 5:38 PM

Key word in that article is "retain". I am aware of the company and its just a relocation/consolidation from nearby for a new updated facility. Not financial or semiconductor related.

BA744PHX Dec 14, 2022 5:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyAZ (Post 9815403)
Key word in that article is "retain". I am aware of the company and its just a relocation/consolidation from nearby for a new updated facility. Not financial or semiconductor related.

Ah, to me I understood this as a HQ relocating to Arizona

IndyAZ Dec 14, 2022 6:01 PM

Yeah the article is really misleading.

TheSpud0 Dec 28, 2022 1:00 AM

Discount Tire Headquarters
 
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301710373.html

Quote:

Discount Tire, a leading independent tire retailer, announced its intent to develop a new corporate headquarters in Phoenix following the acquisition of 35 acres located near Loop 101 and State Route 51. Discount Tire purchased the site at a recent Arizona State Land Department public auction. Proceeds from the sale will be invested by the state in the Permanent Land Endowment Trust Fund to benefit K-12 education in Arizona.

"Our commitment is to create the best, most positive experience for our People," said Michael Zuieback, chairman at Discount Tire. "We are pleased to acquire this property in Phoenix and begin work on an innovative, sustainable workspace that honors and strengthens the culture on which our company was founded. Together with the support of our partners at the City of Phoenix, Arizona Commerce Authority, and Governor Ducey's office, we are grateful for the opportunity to make more dreams come true."

Plans for a more than 300,000-square-foot office building and campus amenities are in the early stages. Development is expected to commence in phases, with the construction of infrastructure improvements beginning within 12 months. The announcement represents one of the largest economic development deals of its kind in recent years in Phoenix. Discount Tire, which has maintained its corporate headquarters in Arizona since 1970 while expanding operations across the U.S., was applauded by Gov. Doug Ducey for the purchase.

"Discount Tire is one of Arizona's greatest business success stories," said Governor Doug Ducey. "From Bruce Halle's first stores in Phoenix more than 50 years ago to growing to be the nation's premier tires and wheels retailer, Discount Tire has always done business while giving so much back to Arizona and our communities. I'm grateful to Chairman Zuieback and the entire Discount Tire team for their continued dedication to our state and look forward to many more decades of their success."

The future corporate campus will house Discount Tire's headquarters and the offices of The Diane & Bruce Halle Foundation, a leading provider of philanthropic resources to local communities across the state of Arizona.

"I could not be more excited that Discount Tire chose to maintain its local presence with this new headquarters in North Phoenix," said Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego. "The company's decision to locate here means 1,100 high-value jobs. Given Discount Tire's long history of growing its own talent, I suspect many a career will be launched at this new location. Plus, with Discount Tire ranking as one of the largest private companies in the U.S. and bringing its award-winning pedigree for being customer-centric, its presence further elevates Phoenix's reputation for excellence."

Discount Tire ranked as the No. 77 largest company on the "America's Largest Private Companies" list in 2022 and has been named a top employer in Arizona multiple times.

"Discount Tire's new headquarters in Phoenix marks an exciting new chapter for the company," said Sandra Watson, President and CEO of the Arizona Commerce Authority. "With this innovative corporate campus, Discount Tire joins Phoenix's vibrant business community poised for continued growth."

Special attention in the development will be paid to the native desert landscape, indigenous vegetation, and connectivity to nearby trails.

"We are incredibly excited about Discount Tire's development plans in Phoenix and believe their commitment to Desert Ridge will further enhance new quality business development in the area. Our workforce and the surrounding community will continue to benefit from this partnership," said Councilman Jim Waring, who represents this area of Phoenix.

TJPHXskyscraperfan Dec 28, 2022 3:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xymox (Post 9814494)
It's gonna be kinda ironic if all the people living downtown have to commute to the outskirts of the city for work (i.e. - this site or TSMC...). Hopefully someone will have the vision of what downtown can be with their presence and make it happen.

Yep, thankfully I work from home most of the week but I have to go to the office once a week which is around the 101 and 17. I live in midtown but I guess it’s kind of similar to people who live in San Francisco but work in Silicon Valley. I was actually in San Fran a few years ago and shared an Uber with a kid literally making that commute. At least my commute is not as far and it’s kind of nice because I’m going the opposite of the heavy traffic on the 17.

CrestedSaguaro Dec 30, 2022 10:05 PM

Vela Phoenix
 
I think it's a tad too early to post a dedicated thread on this, but it looks like Vela Phoenix (formerly Vela Roosevelt) has moved quite a bit. It has grown to a 293' tower (originally, FACT stated a 259' proposal). It looks a little basic. But from what I can tell, it will be an all glass and steel facade with the exception of the garage podium. Clayco would be the builder.

View all documents and markups in my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...TF?usp=sharing

West and North elevations:
https://i.imgur.com/Tkmoh2b.png

East and South elevations:
https://i.imgur.com/0Px8spF.png

somethingfast Dec 31, 2022 1:27 AM

all glass at 293' can be pretty nice. i'll take modern glass over all this smooth stucco and smallish windows stuff.

IndyAZ Dec 31, 2022 1:34 AM

Thanks for posting Crested! I like the simplistic design of the tower, and love how its primarily glass with just the grid of EIFS. Glazing is a huge cost, so I'm shocked they are able to afford that much glass, but I'll take it! No colors are listed anywhere from what I can tell, but should be a nice looking tower and contrasting to many of the other residential towers.

Just wish they didn't turn their back on Pierce especially with the 1st and Pierce tower directly to the East and Realm across the street to the South.

Edit: Found this link for VeLa Development that has renderings. Rendering of Phoenix project looks great, but unfortunately looks like the design was simplified quite a bit. https://veladev.com/


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.