SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

gymratmanaz Jan 2, 2011 5:52 AM

Thanks Vicelord. I knew you would say it best. :)

davidmperre@gmail.co Jan 2, 2011 8:30 AM

Oh well ok i guess haha. yeahh i use to play it until i lost my disk :P but if not downtown then atleast somewhere!

gymratmanaz Jan 2, 2011 2:11 PM

An amusement park would be a great thing to have somewhere near, just not right next to a Hooters, Bliss, or even Lolos. ;)

Vicelord John Jan 2, 2011 5:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratmanaz (Post 5111345)
An amusement park would be a great thing to have somewhere near, just not right next to a Hooters, Bliss, or even Lolos. ;)

Funny that you mention three places which could be deemed as amusement parks themselves. :haha:

gymratmanaz Jan 2, 2011 6:41 PM

And only two of them I go to. Guess....?

davidmperre@gmail.co Jan 3, 2011 12:46 AM

HA :P <---why does it make that gay face!? >:(

davidmperre@gmail.co Jan 3, 2011 12:49 AM

What The Heck!!!!!!! X D

Vicelord John Jan 3, 2011 1:43 AM

I would ask what the X D is..... But I don't care because it might be a "gay face"

bwonger06 Jan 3, 2011 7:44 AM

Just made it back from a wild weekend in Chi-town. Some key ideas:

1.) Tall buildings are overrated.

I said this when I went to D.C. and I will say it again. Although Chicago's downtown was alive and popping even when it was Sunday and 15 degrees outside, the big Towers were essentially deserted. The tall buildings generate foot traffic during the work week, but during off times everything was generated by either Michigan Ave and Millennium Park. I don't think downtown Phoenix will ever get a Michigan Ave or Wisconsin Ave (Georgetown) because Scottsdale is the 500lb elephant in the room that will not let anything grow and we need we have some potential in the Civic Space and MTH (Chicago spent over 200 million on Millennium Park for comparisons sake).

2.) This city is seriously lacking in the yuppy department. Thats why I love Seattle, Chicago, and DC because all the bars I go to is full of everyone my age (Mid-20s to late 30s).

Due to several factors, Phoenix is having difficulty building this population. Number one is jobs. Phoenix does not have enough jobs, especially downtown. Number 2, Phoenix has not established an area for yuppies to play. You have Scottsdale which is not for yuppies but your 30k millionaires, cougars and old creepy men. Then you have Tempe which is full of college bros and girls who love to wear their flip flops. Downtown has some potential yuppy areas but it crosses over to gay, hipster, or ghetto fabulous too quickly. And our drinking culture is just totally different than other cities. I have heard it from many out of staters, Phoenix bar/club goers just seem super confrontational.

3.) Phoenix does not focus on community enough. Our closest knit community might feel the most urban (Roosevelt area and Melrose). Go to other big cities and you easily see many cool and hip areas built around a community (Lincoln Park, Wigleyville, Wicker Park, Foggy Bottom, Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, etc.). But for some reason, Phoenix just does not get building around these neighborhoods are the key to urban revival.

Things Phoenix is doing right:

1.) Downtown ASU... Huge because this will help generate the needed foot traffic. I remember going a to DT about a month ago and couldnt believe the amount of ASU students walking the street. ASU and Phoenix need to keep pushing this.

2.) LR. This is a huge requirement. Mass transportation is extremely important in building a vibrant downtown.

3.) DT Biomedical campus... Jobs, Jobs Jobs.

Things Phoenix flopped on:

1.) Prop 207. Essentially makes it impossible the neighborhoods especially after many places were up-zoned during the boom and flipped. I thought it was absolutely outrageous when we have 200-300 foot buildings around the Roosevelt area. I think the area should top out around 5 stories at most.

2.) Failure to provide necessary amenities to help improve communities (i.e. dog parks, suicide lanes, etc.)


Going forward, Phoenix needs to re-focus on building the communities. Cityscape is never going to be successful with residents in the area. Build-up what we have and go from there and stop getting in the way when there is a good thing.

exit2lef Jan 3, 2011 1:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwonger06 (Post 5112106)
Just made it back from a wild weekend in Chi-town. Some key ideas:

1.) Tall buildings are overrated.

I said this when I went to D.C. and I will say it again. Although Chicago's downtown was alive and popping even when it was Sunday and 15 degrees outside, the big Towers were essentially deserted. The tall buildings generate foot traffic during the work week, but during off times everything was generated by either Michigan Ave and Millennium Park. I don't think downtown Phoenix will ever get a Michigan Ave or Wisconsin Ave (Georgetown) because Scottsdale is the 500lb elephant in the room that will not let anything grow and we need we have some potential in the Civic Space and MTH (Chicago spent over 200 million on Millennium Park for comparisons sake).

2.) This city is seriously lacking in the yuppy department. Thats why I love Seattle, Chicago, and DC because all the bars I go to is full of everyone my age (Mid-20s to late 30s).

Due to several factors, Phoenix is having difficulty building this population. Number one is jobs. Phoenix does not have enough jobs, especially downtown. Number 2, Phoenix has not established an area for yuppies to play. You have Scottsdale which is not for yuppies but your 30k millionaires, cougars and old creepy men. Then you have Tempe which is full of college bros and girls who love to wear their flip flops. Downtown has some potential yuppy areas but it crosses over to gay, hipster, or ghetto fabulous too quickly. And our drinking culture is just totally different than other cities. I have heard it from many out of staters, Phoenix bar/club goers just seem super confrontational.

3.) Phoenix does not focus on community enough. Our closest knit community might feel the most urban (Roosevelt area and Melrose). Go to other big cities and you easily see many cool and hip areas built around a community (Lincoln Park, Wigleyville, Wicker Park, Foggy Bottom, Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, etc.). But for some reason, Phoenix just does not get building around these neighborhoods are the key to urban revival.

Things Phoenix is doing right:

1.) Downtown ASU... Huge because this will help generate the needed foot traffic. I remember going a to DT about a month ago and couldnt believe the amount of ASU students walking the street. ASU and Phoenix need to keep pushing this.

2.) LR. This is a huge requirement. Mass transportation is extremely important in building a vibrant downtown.

3.) DT Biomedical campus... Jobs, Jobs Jobs.

Things Phoenix flopped on:

1.) Prop 207. Essentially makes it impossible the neighborhoods especially after many places were up-zoned during the boom and flipped. I thought it was absolutely outrageous when we have 200-300 foot buildings around the Roosevelt area. I think the area should top out around 5 stories at most.

2.) Failure to provide necessary amenities to help improve communities (i.e. dog parks, suicide lanes, etc.)


Going forward, Phoenix needs to re-focus on building the communities. Cityscape is never going to be successful with residents in the area. Build-up what we have and go from there and stop getting in the way when there is a good thing.

Really good observation about #1. An impressive skyline is nice, but walkable neighborhoods with buildings of 3-5 stories can make a bigger difference in urban quality of life. I wish more developers had realized this during the boom years. Maybe then we'd have some infill projects done instead of vacant lots where luxury towers were promised.

Vicelord John Jan 3, 2011 4:08 PM

I like that bwonger hates diversity.

bwonger06 Jan 3, 2011 6:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5112251)
I like that bwonger hates diversity.

Diversity is for old people :tup:

Vicelord John Jan 3, 2011 7:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwonger06 (Post 5112369)
Diversity is for old people :tup:

I thought it was an old wooden ship

HX_Guy Jan 4, 2011 9:55 PM

I'm surprised how big of a deal they are making of this...seems about on par with the Cityscape opening...

Quote:

Channel 12 celebrating new studios with Gin Blossoms show
Phoenix Business Journal - by Lynn Ducey


Lynn Ducey
Reporter
Email: lducey@bizjournals.com
Downtown Phoenix commuters should take heed of an event coming next Wednesday that will close parts of Van Buren and Second streets near The Arizona Republic building.
KPNX-TV Channel 12 is launching its new studio on Jan. 12 with a celebration that will feature a live concert from the Gin Blossoms. The TV station is moving from its old headquarters on Central Avenue to a street-side studio on the lower level of The Arizona Republic building, 200 East Van Buren St.
TV personalities will begin their morning program at 4:30 a.m. and feature “The Today Show” weatherman Al Roker. Channel 12 is an affiliate of NBC.
The event is expected to continue throughout the day, with a range of personalities and guests including “The Biggest Loser” winner and Valley resident Ali Vincent. The channel will also pick makeover candidates from the crowds for an “ambush makeover” during the channel’s Arizona Midday program. The Gin Blossoms and a fireworks show are expected to wrap up the evening.
Van Buren Street will be closed between First and Third Streets from 10 p.m., Jan. 11 through 5 a.m., Jan. 13. Second Street will be closed from Polk Street to Monroe Street during the same period.


Read more: Channel 12 celebrating new studios with Gin Blossoms show | Phoenix Business Journal

Vicelord John Jan 4, 2011 10:14 PM

I love the Gin Blossoms and have been wanting to see them for years... never have. Surprised they brought someone in that big for a grand opening. Perhaps Cityscape could take a lesson for next years New Years. I guess they don't have a schedule released yet?

bwonger06 Jan 4, 2011 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5113735)
I love the Gin Blossoms and have been wanting to see them for years... never have. Surprised they brought someone in that big for a grand opening. Perhaps Cityscape could take a lesson for next years New Years. I guess they don't have a schedule released yet?

That day, from long before sunrise to long after sunset, Channel 12 will host “Downtown Goes Live with 12 News,” an all-day community celebration that will open with Al Roker at 4:30 a.m. and close with the Valley’s own Gin Blossoms and a fireworks show at 11 p.m. The Downtown location and window wall is designed to imitate the NBC studios at 30 Rockefeller Center, where “The Today Show” and other programs broadcast amongst fans. Moving forward, 12 News will be taped live at the intentionally “30 Rock”-ish “200 EVB.”

http://www.downtownphoenix.com/blog/...s-live-jan-12/

Vicelord John Jan 4, 2011 10:36 PM

Yeah, I read that. Maybe I'm stupid but I don't understand if Gin Blossoms and fireworks are both at 11, or if fireworks are at 11 but the concert before that. It would seem weird to have both going on at the same time. So if that's the case, when is each one?

Vicelord John Jan 4, 2011 10:55 PM

WOOOOO!

The pizza bitch is gone!!!!!

I fucking hated this woman, she was such a bitch. Every staff member in that place is so nice to me, gets me a seat when I need it or for a shorter wait, and answers questions that I have, says goodbye when I leave, etc.

She always acts like everyone is lucky to be in her restaurant. Like it's your fucking priveledge to be in her company. Way to go Chris! Been here at least once a month for the past 4 years and now it might be more.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bel...t_business.php

Tfom Jan 5, 2011 3:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5113735)
I love the Gin Blossoms and have been wanting to see them for years... never have. Surprised they brought someone in that big for a grand opening. Perhaps Cityscape could take a lesson for next years New Years. I guess they don't have a schedule released yet?

Cityscape spent all their money on the tree remember?

bwonger06 Jan 5, 2011 5:03 PM

Supposedly Hotel Monroe is under escrow. Check here

http://www.mtgltd.com/webs/availprop...For%20Sale.pdf

It says the property of 15 and 27 E. Monroe are under contract to be sold.


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.