SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

stutteringpunk Mar 8, 2018 2:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil (Post 8111827)
Looks cool to me. :shrug:

Agreed. Any height is an improvement in my opinion. It also ain't the Sheraton either.

Obadno Mar 8, 2018 3:45 AM

Yeah looks like they are leaving the van buren side of the base open for a second tower

It removes the setback issue of the old proposal and looks to be what ~22stories and super wide?

I think it’s fine. It’s not like downtown is hurting for space and stocky wife buildings can end up being very cool/differentiation in the skyline hardly worth scoffing at

Edit: the only thing I dont like is there far to long timeline.

muertecaza Mar 8, 2018 5:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 8111738)
We have something approaching a rendering for 200 W Monroe courtesy of DVC.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SuQ...rIOpK_SXx/view

I'm not impressed. It's what happens when developers have too large a lot. It's also a slap in the face compared to the developer's other projects in other cities which are larger and more architecturally interesting.

Yeah, not a big fan. I do prefer this to the previous office proposal. But generally not really in favor of full-block parking podiums. With 40,000 ft. of proposed commercial space, they could at least hopefully do that part of it right--I'm hopeful for instance for the street presence of Block 23 and Union in Tempe that have similar full-block footprints.

If it ended up like a scaled-down version of their Ft. Lauderdale project, that would be pretty cool.

EDIT: Also, not sure if Golub went through abandoning the alley, and it's hard to tell from the rendering whether there is still an alley beneath the building. If neither is true, they are setting themselves up for a battle with Urban Phoenix Project and Downtown Voices Coalition folks. And I could see the City not wanting to abandon this alley after abandoning the Barrister alley.

CrestedSaguaro Mar 8, 2018 6:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muertecaza (Post 8112616)
If it ended up like a scaled-down version of their Ft. Lauderdale project, that would be pretty cool.

EDIT: Also, not sure if Golub went through abandoning the alley, and it's hard to tell from the rendering whether there is still an alley beneath the building. If neither is true, they are setting themselves up for a battle with Urban Phoenix Project and Downtown Voices Coalition folks. And I could see the City not wanting to abandon this alley after abandoning the Barrister alley.

It does look like it's a scaled down version of the Ft. Lauderdale tower. This is just a preliminary sketch and I'm sure a more detailed rendering will be much better looking.

I do see a fight brewing for the alley right-of-way considering how much of a fuss went into the Barrister abandonment. I am honestly against abandoning the alley myself. We need to decrease the number of super-sized blocks, not increase them.

Obadno Mar 8, 2018 6:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8112724)
It does look like it's a scaled down version of the Ft. Lauderdale tower. This is just a preliminary sketch and I'm sure a more detailed rendering will be much better looking.

I do see a fight brewing for the alley right-of-way considering how much of a fuss went into the Barrister abandonment. I am honestly against abandoning the alley myself. We need to decrease the number of super-sized blocks, not increase them.

I mean If they get the developer to redesign for the ally, they leave the Van Buren side empty for phase 2, even if we don't get phase 2 we get a better and bigger phase one.

Phxguy Mar 8, 2018 7:19 PM

On the fence about the design, looks like a larger/modern version of the Professional Building. Disappointing when the article leads with their other designs which look far nicer. That one from Miami would do wonders here on such a prominent and visible lot. And I understand this is maybe just a preliminary rendering, so maybe in the end we'll get a noteworthy project.


In other news, the shipping containers for the Churchill are being installed. I believe we have only been informed of 5/10 tenants for this project.

biggus diggus Mar 8, 2018 8:54 PM

here's to hoping they have a 20' fire breathing praying mantis like the container park in las vegas.

Obadno Mar 8, 2018 9:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8113009)
here's to hoping they have a 20' fire breathing praying mantis like the container park in las vegas.

Lol I agree the shipping container thing I hate, and it will age like 2 week old milk.

biggus diggus Mar 8, 2018 9:34 PM

In a year that location is going to be the alcohol center of the universe, worst case scenario is the shipping containers are all leased to bars.

haux Mar 8, 2018 10:13 PM

They're putting in the containers at The Churchill. These are from just moments ago.

https://i.imgur.com/kbILPUN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5OYYndL.jpg

combusean Mar 8, 2018 10:40 PM

I hate shipping container projects because of their third world aspect--we should be putting in buildings instead of upcycling industrial garbage in the downtown of such a large city.

But, like anything else, it's better than a vacant lot without the permanence of a "safe" building and not a huge investment that could be easily dismantled for future redevelopment.

Obadno Mar 8, 2018 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 8113147)
I hate shipping container projects because of their third world aspect--we should be putting in buildings instead of upcycling industrial garbage in the downtown of such a large city.

But, like anything else, it's better than a vacant lot without the permanence of a "safe" building and not a huge investment that could be easily dismantled for future redevelopment.

Yeah, itll have a bar in it so there's that :cheers:

muertecaza Mar 8, 2018 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8074967)
So, I posted a while back about 200' building obstruction evaluation for the Kierland area. The obstruction was approved and now shows a little more detail. The permit shows "Proposed to build an approximate 200 foot tall mixed-use building of hotel, residential, office and commercial uses.".

I'm trying to find more information on the development. But it is not part of the Optima development.

Here is DMB's PUD packet with details about this development:

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...Z/Z-14-18n.pdf

They take the interesting approach of proposing two alternatives: a 120' building that is more massive horizontally and therefore blocks more neighboring views (assumedly from Optima); or a 196' option that's obviously taller but more slender.

dtnphx Mar 8, 2018 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muertecaza (Post 8113202)
Here is DMB's PUD packet with details about this development:

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...Z/Z-14-18n.pdf

They take the interesting approach of proposing two alternatives: a 120' building that is more massive horizontally and therefore blocks more neighboring views (assumedly from Optima); or a 196' option that's obviously taller but more slender.

Those zoom out balconies are so cool. Adds so much pow! and zing! I like.

Classical in Phoenix Mar 9, 2018 4:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8113151)
Yeah, itll have a bar in it so there's that :cheers:

Awesome.

gymratmanaz Mar 9, 2018 5:01 PM

While a little color variance would be nice. I kinda like the design and the slanted, triangular balcony or glassed in parts.

biggus diggus Mar 9, 2018 5:07 PM

That area is beginning to get a little kooky, there's a fairly large shopping/living development well under construction on the north side of Scottsdale Quarter as well.

ASUSunDevil Mar 9, 2018 8:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muertecaza (Post 8113202)
Here is DMB's PUD packet with details about this development:

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...Z/Z-14-18n.pdf

They take the interesting approach of proposing two alternatives: a 120' building that is more massive horizontally and therefore blocks more neighboring views (assumedly from Optima); or a 196' option that's obviously taller but more slender.

Those look incredible!

Davis might be the most important architect in PHX. They're definitely helping PHX/Tempe take large buildings to a much higher level. I'd say they deserve to build our new tallest (Central Station) :tup:

ASUSunDevil Mar 9, 2018 8:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 8113147)
I hate shipping container projects because of their third world aspect--we should be putting in buildings instead of upcycling industrial garbage in the downtown of such a large city.

But, like anything else, it's better than a vacant lot without the permanence of a "safe" building and not a huge investment that could be easily dismantled for future redevelopment.

Disagree with the first part. See: Austin, TX

We have plenty of other vacant lots. This will help the cool factor + get more people wanting to live Downtown.

combusean Mar 9, 2018 9:59 PM

So that 3 story Paragon at Kierland complex was built in 2000, bought for $210,000 a unit a few years ago ... and they're proposing to raze it for a 120' complex?

That's crazy. I've never heard of a newer property lasting so short.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.