SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

pottebaum Oct 15, 2007 9:24 PM

If these cuts go through I may seriousy consider not attending college in the city next year. It pisses me off that much. :(

ginsan2 Oct 16, 2007 12:50 AM

So what exactly is going on with the casino issue? Is there to be a casino to help fund exclusively Chicago mass transit? I can't seem to find a straight "yay" or "nay" here.

j korzeniowski Oct 16, 2007 1:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginsan2 (Post 3112825)
So what exactly is going on with the casino issue? Is there to be a casino to help fund exclusively Chicago mass transit? I can't seem to find a straight "yay" or "nay" here.

it passed the senate, but the house won't play ball. the house could not pass a sales tax increase in september. the governor wants to close "corporate tax loopholes", but will not specify which ones

basically, we have three fucking democrats in the three highest positions in this fucking state, and they can't find a solution for an issue you would think dem's would be all over, public transportation.

the whole thing is depressing.

ardecila Oct 16, 2007 2:30 AM

Tom Cross (GOP minority leader) in the Senate said the reason he didn't support the House's sales tax plan was because highway needs were un-addressed.

Now that the Senate has passed a capital spending plan that includes highway monies, they should reintroduce the sales tax plan, right? Republican Senators' concerns were satisfied. No, that's too goddam honest. Instead, they tried to tack on a bit to the capital spending plan that allows for a casino to fund transit instead. This bill won't pass the House, which is still in support of their own sales tax plan.

The casino plan is a poor idea because:
a) The casino couldn't begin operation for several years, leaving transit in the hole until then
b)Revenue from a casino would basically be just a high tax on low-income gamblers, instead of a low tax on everybody
c) Illinois' casino-gambling laws tax casino profits at an absurd rate, dramatically reducing the casinos' profits and making it very unattractive for the casino to spend in order to be classy

Complicating the issue is the fact that Blago pledges to veto ANY tax increase, including the House's sales tax plan. IIRC, the House did not muster enough votes for an override.

j korzeniowski Oct 16, 2007 2:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 3113080)
Tom Cross (GOP minority leader) in the Senate

oh, i know who that bastard is, i have even exchanged emails with the guy. he is even more worthless than the dem's. however, we have three dem's in charge (i, myself, am a life-long democrat, but this triumvirate drive me nuts) could have done something about this without the republicans before they pulled out their rulers over the budget.

eh, blah, blah, blah ... i guess more phone calls and emails that will solve nothing.

Attrill Oct 16, 2007 3:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j korzeniowski (Post 3113095)
...however, we have three dem's in charge (i, myself, am a life-long democrat, but this triumvirate drive me nuts) could have done something about this without the republicans before they pulled out their rulers over the budget.

Our state is basically being crippled by a pissing contest between Blago and Madigan. The childish crap they keep pulling has not only hit transit hard, but has also had an impact on education and healthcare. It is absolutley mindboggling what selfish, puny little shits they are. I'm pretty much a lifelong Democrat as well, and after all this crap I'm willing to break George Ryan out of jail and work to put him back in office.

(I say "pretty much" a life long Democrat because I refused to vote for Blago and Stroger in the last elections).

GregBear24 Oct 16, 2007 3:22 AM

^ We can't seem to win in this state can we? We might as well go to Lincoln's grave, knock on his casket and ask him for advice. Repubs suck, dems suck, everyone sucks. We need a true Illinois champion to take control-any Illinois former pro wrestlers or film action heroes we could contact?:shrug:

j korzeniowski Oct 16, 2007 3:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregBear24 (Post 3113201)
any Illinois former pro wrestlers or film action heroes we could contact?:shrug:

chuck heston? heh heh

Attrill Oct 16, 2007 3:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 3110869)

What I would do to end all bickering is have RTA ignore county lines completely. Any Chicagoland municipality receiving CTA service is taxed at a higher rate; any municipality receiving Pace or Metra is taxed at a lower rate. Communities receiving both are taxed at the CTA rate.

I understand your argument overall, but the problem is that service to any community gets more expensive to maintain the further out you go. Look at the chart I posted - that is RTA subsidies per ride. Per ride is an analysis that looks at the service provided, it is a much better way of looking at it than per person. Why would Chicago be taxed more for a service that costs less and communities that are receiving a service that costs MORE be taxed less? Combine that with the fact that many more suburban Metra riders transfer to the CTA than vice versa and that funding structure is even worse.

You also have to realize that people who are riding Metra are generally commuting from the suburbs to a job in the loop. This enables people with jobs in the city to have a manageable commute into the city (and not just for Metra riders, also for car commuters by reducing traffic). Looked at this way the RTA is subsidizing a service that helps city workers live in collar counties and takes away from Chicago's tax base.

It is a very complicated situation, and no solution is ideal, but the current situation is a good example of how tax policy has been subsidizing the growth of suburbs for decades in the US.

j korzeniowski Oct 16, 2007 3:30 AM

Mass-transit crisis could complicate city's Olympic prospects
Games organizers here just before cuts

By Jon Hilkevitch | Tribune transportation reporter
October 16, 2007

A national spotlight will be focused on the Chicago area's mass-transit crisis just days before the scheduled first round of CTA "doomsday" service cuts when a congressional committee holds a hearing on the city's transportation needs for the 2016 Olympic bid, it was announced Monday.

Link, Chicago Tribune

Attrill Oct 16, 2007 3:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregBear24 (Post 3113201)
^ We can't seem to win in this state can we? We might as well go to Lincoln's grave, knock on his casket and ask him for advice. Repubs suck, dems suck, everyone sucks. We need a true Illinois champion to take control-any Illinois former pro wrestlers or film action heroes we could contact?:shrug:


Republicans suck? NO! Alan Keyes will save the state! ....oh, um.....:haha:

I think we need to start looking at recall laws in Illinois.

If you're visiting the dead I'd stop by Paul Simon's casket and give it a knock as well.

Nowhereman1280 Oct 16, 2007 4:04 AM

This is all so ridiculous, I am going to register to vote in Illinois instead of Wisconsin for the next election specifically so I can vote against these baffoons...

They all suck and need to have their political careers ended right now, seriously, they get absolutely nothing done, almost as bad as in Washington.

pottebaum Oct 16, 2007 4:20 AM

So what are you guys predicting?

Do you think the state will work out a long-term solution this time, or that the CTA will be forced to accept another temporary bail-out...or *gasp*..that the cuts will go through?

DHamp Oct 16, 2007 4:27 AM

I think that these guys in Springfield won't move until the first round of cuts goes through and they see that Huberman isn't just joking around. Once they start getting calls and letters from folks in their districts threatening to vote for someone else next time around, they'll get serious about finding some money for transit.

At least, that's how it should work.

Attrill Oct 16, 2007 4:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregBear24 (Post 3113201)
We need a true Illinois champion to take control-any Illinois former pro wrestlers or film action heroes we could contact?:shrug:

John Cusak? John Malkovich? David Mamet? Oprah? Anyone but Ditka.

Attrill Oct 16, 2007 4:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHamp (Post 3113376)
I think that these guys in Springfield won't move until the first round of cuts goes through and they see that Huberman isn't just joking around. Once they start getting calls and letters from folks in their districts threatening to vote for someone else next time around, they'll get serious about finding some money for transit.

At least, that's how it should work.

It's how it has worked so far, this is the third time in as many years that I remember a "doomsday" plan being released. Our state gov't is so screwed up it wouldn't surprise me if they don't get it together in time this year.

Mr Downtown Oct 16, 2007 4:48 PM

The problem is that the ordinary legislators don't have any leverage in the matter. It's entirely a dispute between Gov. Tinyteeth and the Four Tops.

aaron38 Oct 16, 2007 4:56 PM

If Doomsday comes to pass and fares raise, and the outcry then gets the State to act, will the fares come back down, or will they stay high?

Chicago2020 Oct 16, 2007 7:10 PM

I smell a protest rally :whatthefuck:

This just goes to show you that Democrats and Republicans are all the same. There's no difference. and they are not willing to work together to solve important issues. Of course there are exeptions on both sides but stll :gaah: :gaah: :gaah:

Alliance Oct 16, 2007 7:43 PM

If they're so bad, why don't YOU serve.

Complaining is one theing. Calling them useless is another.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.