SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | Post Office Redevelopment (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192697)

LouisVanDerWright Jan 10, 2014 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supertallchaser (Post 6400688)
ok heres one for you, what has a better chance revival of spire in march or construction of this in 10 years?

The only answer to this question is:

Neither, the better chance is the construction of the world's tallest pyramid (20,000' tall) on the southworks site by 2050.

chris08876 Jan 10, 2014 4:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 6400730)
The only answer to this question is:

Neither, the better chance is the construction of the world's tallest pyramid (20,000' tall) on the southworks site by 2050.

Probably on a blueprint in the Middle East as we speak. The Pyramid of the UAE or something like that.

LouisVanDerWright Jan 10, 2014 3:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 6400964)
Probably on a blueprint in the Middle East as we speak. The Pyramid of the UAE or something like that.

They will build it on an island in the gulf and then it will sink into the sea over a decade or two after it was built...

le_brew Jan 11, 2014 4:52 AM

Huge empty building where the blue line underground intersects with Metra tracks above. . .What we need is for this to become is a transit center to supplement or even replace union station in some capacity.

This great empty space would serve that purpose well, but we are too short-sighted in this city; in this country, for that matter, to recognize transit opportunities where they exist.

Forget the foolish supertower dreams here and be real.

Transit. . .transit. . .transit is needed for this site!!!!

zachary78 Jan 11, 2014 5:14 AM

spire

NYC2ATX Jan 11, 2014 7:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le_brew (Post 6402610)
Huge empty building where the blue line underground intersects with Metra tracks above. . .What we need is for this to become is a transit center to supplement or even replace union station in some capacity.

This great empty space would serve that purpose well, but we are too short-sighted in this city; in this country, for that matter, to recognize transit opportunities where they exist.

Forget the foolish supertower dreams here and be real.

Transit. . .transit. . .transit is needed for this site!!!!

I mean I'd love a new 2,000-foot tower here but...wait...what's that I hear?

It's a faint whispering in the distance....it sounds like....Clinton Street Subway...

hear it? ;)

le_brew Jan 19, 2014 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 (Post 6402701)
I mean I'd love a new 2,000-foot tower here but...wait...what's that I hear?

It's a faint whispering in the distance....it sounds like....Clinton Street Subway...

hear it? ;)

you may or may not know this, being from NY, but the clinton st subway is already there, it exist on the blue line. though i'm no engineer, i'd think you would only need to extend the platforms east to create a "superstation" and you'd be directly under the post office.

again, i'd like to see more advocates of this site for a major transit center.

ardecila Jan 20, 2014 3:59 AM

I think Staten Islander is referring to the city's plan to build a new subway running down Larrabee and Clinton. It would split off from the Red Line at North/Clybourn, run through Cabrini and West Loop, and join the Red Line again at Chinatown. It's not an official CTA plan, but something that city planners came up with.

http://chicago.straightdope.com/clinton_subway.JPG
src

Mr Downtown Jan 20, 2014 3:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le_brew (Post 6413544)
i'd think you would only need to extend the platforms east to create a "superstation" and you'd be directly under the post office.

I don't think that's possible because the tunnels are angling downward to get under the river. So any superstation is always going to be burdened with a 400-foot transfer tunnel.

le_brew Jan 21, 2014 3:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 6413896)
I think Staten Islander is referring to the city's plan to build a new subway running down Larrabee and Clinton.

i did know which plan he was referring to, however sarcastically. . .but thanks for that article reviewing comprehensive plans to improve the el over the years. i had forgotten some of those, and agree with the writer that we are a rail city and should continue planning expansion of rail, with rail.

my hope is that the ashland avenue brt becomes one of those plans to join the list that didn't make any headway.

Steely Dan Feb 7, 2014 11:01 PM

so with today's left field news about the spire project, maybe we'll get some big news regarding this project soon!

cuz, ya know, it's like totally a real project too and shit.

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

hunser Feb 7, 2014 11:07 PM

Imagine two 2,000 footers in Chicago, that would be freaking awesome. I'd certainly visit the city more often. :D

r18tdi Feb 7, 2014 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 6442185)
so with today's left field news about the spire project, maybe we'll get some big news regarding this project soon!

I recently spoke to a gentleman (who shall remain nameless) who claimed to have inside information regarding this very project. He assured me that it was in fact very real and is definitely moving forward.

He then offered sell me some magic beans which, in hindsight, I deeply regret not buying. They seemed like a really good deal.

supertallchaser Feb 7, 2014 11:57 PM

^wtf?

Randomguy34 Feb 8, 2014 1:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supertallchaser (Post 6442267)
^wtf?

Welcome to SkyscraperPage's sarcasm.:P

Zapatan Feb 8, 2014 2:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 6442185)

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Something will be built on that site eventually, although probably not anything near 2000 feet, we could get a 300 meter building or so who knows?

S.D.city Feb 17, 2014 8:43 PM

I hope they change the design of the towers, it seems to boring, unlike the Sears Tower (Willis Tower if your feeling formal). Ive noticed if someone is trying to build a highrise over 2,000 feet (or taller then the New WTC in NYC) there design is so plain and not worth lookin at. They are extremely tall eye sores to me.

Steely Dan Feb 17, 2014 8:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.D.city (Post 6456337)
I hope they change the design of the towers,

you don't have to "hope" for anything.

for like the 1,000th time now, this isn't a serious proposal.

all of the images displayed in this thread are visionary/placeholder/design exercise kinda stuff.

chris08876 Feb 17, 2014 8:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.D.city (Post 6456337)
I hope they change the design of the towers, it seems to boring, unlike the Sears Tower (Willis Tower if your feeling formal). Ive noticed if someone is trying to build a highrise over 2,000 feet (or taller then the New WTC in NYC) there design is so plain and not worth lookin at. They are extremely tall eye sores to me.

I can't blame them. WTC1 was absurdly expensive. Well worth it, but its one for the books in terms of construction costs. All of this glitz and glamour comes with a price. Nevertheless, we will just have to be patient and wait for real updates on the project. Time will tell....

Skyguy_7 Feb 17, 2014 9:10 PM

^Agreed. Now we're looking at you, Weirdaaron, with your development mind control..