SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CAMDEN, NJ | Camden Waterfront Tower | 285 FT | 18 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218964)

Mappy Dec 12, 2016 2:29 PM

Does anyone know how long the Lakewood Blueclaws have a contract for? It would great if they could move that affiliate right to Camden. Maybe could have some administrative advantages for rehab assignments, etc. Could help get the young players in the farm system acclimated to the franchise, and get the big Philles junkies better access to watching up-and-comers.

Mappy Dec 12, 2016 2:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mappy (Post 7648738)
Does anyone know how long the Lakewood Blueclaws have a contract for? It would great if they could move that affiliate right to Camden. Maybe could have some administrative advantages for rehab assignments, etc. Could help get the young players in the farm system acclimated to the franchise, and get the big Philles junkies better access to watching up-and-comers.

Nevermind. Just tweeted at the Phillies and Blueclaws, and they just extended the Blueclaws stadium lease to 2055! Yikes!
Does anyone know if any other Phillies affiliates would potentially be looking to move?

allovertown Dec 12, 2016 5:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mappy (Post 7648757)
Nevermind. Just tweeted at the Phillies and Blueclaws, and they just extended the Blueclaws stadium lease to 2055! Yikes!
Does anyone know if any other Phillies affiliates would potentially be looking to move?

Not really. The Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs play in a stadium that is ten years newer, and cost twice the amount as Campbell's Field while also seating about twice as many people. The stadium was also just built for the express purpose of housing the Phillies AAA team so I imagine they're tied there with a long lease.

The AA Reading team plays in a stadium that is over half a century old. However from what I understand it has received many upgrades over the years, is considered a great stadium and they have excellent attendance there.

As you just mentioned mentioned, Lakewood will be at their current stadium for a very longtime and they're definitely not moving their other single A team out of Clearwater considering the stadium there is also new, owned by the phillies, and the home of their Spring Training.

All that leaves you with is the half season teams and rookie ball teams which don't really play many games at all and are very low level. So I don't know, they could move their short season team from Williamsport to Camden but doesn't seem likely.

Hopefully they'll be able to find someone to move in there, but I have no idea who.

Parkway Dec 12, 2016 6:15 PM

The water cooler talk here in Camden is that if this project is successful the stadium (which is currently owned by the CCIA) will likely be demolished and the site used in a later phase.

Larry King Dec 12, 2016 6:17 PM

Is the stadium site big enough for a Sixers arena?? Hmmm

Philly-Drew Dec 12, 2016 8:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsbrook (Post 7644914)
It is. But it's going to take a long time before middle-income people start living there (rather than commuting) in any sizable numbers.

At least with a city like Camden, with something like 70,000 people, even a modest influx of middle income people should make a difference.

Groundhog Dec 12, 2016 9:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry King (Post 7649003)
Is the stadium site big enough for a Sixers arena?? Hmmm

I hope not. I think having all of the stadiums in one place makes perfect sense and is really one of the things that my friends from out of town who've gone to any sporting event here have been really impressed with (especailly New Yorkers who rarely wish to dole out any complements for our great city as a rival fan). I know people think basketball can spur development, but I'm a skeptic. We have a great space for all four major teams that allows for tailgating, shared parking and just a better sports atmosphere. Public transit is already there and great highway access. It's smart and it ain't broke.

cubanChris Dec 12, 2016 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhog (Post 7649260)
I hope not. I think having all of the stadiums in one place makes perfect sense and is really one of the things that my friends from out of town who've gone to any sporting event here have been really impressed with (especailly New Yorkers who rarely wish to dole out any complements for our great city as a rival fan). I know people think basketball can spur development, but I'm a skeptic. We have a great space for all four major teams that allows for tailgating, shared parking and just a better sports atmosphere. Public transit is already there and great highway access. It's smart and it ain't broke.

Yea, I'd hate the hell out of the Sixers moving out of the city.

allovertown Dec 12, 2016 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhog (Post 7649260)

I'd prefer to keep the Sixers in Philly as opposed to Camden but I've always said that the Sixers are the one pro team in Philly where considering a location outside of the Sports Complex could be beneficial. Sixers have by far the smallest tailgating culture of the 4 teams meaning moving away from the expansive parking lots wouldn't be a big deal as long as the arena is close to transit. Basketball Arenas are also capable of being much smaller than venues for the other sports, making them easier to incorporate into downtown areas. Plus, the general design of the Basketball Arenas means it's not very hard to incorporate street facing restaurants and bars and retail into them so they're not deadspots, and basketball games are fairly frequent, and basketball arenas are easily used as concert venues.

So I wouldn't mind seeing a basketball arena in Center City, but Camden wouldn't be terrible either if done right. I certainly see no issue with them leaving the Sports Complex though, as unlike the other teams I don't really see how they derive much of a benefit from being down there and locating them elsewhere works much better for the sixers than any of the other pro teams.

Mr Saturn64 Dec 12, 2016 11:26 PM

So if the Sixers were to move, whether elsewhere in Philly or Camden, would the Flyers just stay in South Philly? The Fargo is only 20 years old, and I think it's still a very good arena. Last time I was at a Sixers game, though, only 12,000 people were there, in an arena that seats what, 20,000? Granted, the fact that the Sixers suck has something to do with it. The Flyers are pretty good right now, so attendance should be higher. And of course, we know how passionate us Philly fans are.

The more I think about it, the more I think that the Phillies should have moved up to Spring Garden Street back before they built the Bank. The South Philly Sports Complex is a great place, but that urban stadium vibe is always a nice one, and would have accelerated the development in the area. The only question is where the Eagles would have ended up. I don't know.

Parkway Dec 13, 2016 12:20 AM

I don't like the idea of the Sixers' Arena coming to Camden because of parking. An arena at that site would only cement the vast fields of parking that currently occupy most of the Camden waterfront. The only way to get rid of it is going to be slow, organic development of offices and apartments.

I think discussion of a replacement for the Farg would be better over in the project rundown thread so I'll post over there now.

sirexcaliber Dec 13, 2016 8:35 AM

if anything the Phillies should move the Williamsport Crosscutters to Camden, they are the Phillies Class A-Short Season Minor League Baseball team based in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, with Reading, Allentown, and Lakewood being so close, bring the Crosscutters to Camden would bring all of the Phillies affiliates close to the city, except the Clearwater Thrashers, this would save Campbell's Field and give Camden a boost, come see the future players of the Phillies

Parkway Dec 13, 2016 5:51 PM

They are currently assembling a very large drill on the site. Looks like we're getting caissons baby!

TK2001 Jan 1, 2017 9:55 PM

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...ef&oe=5921CB8A
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...c1&oe=58D61868
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...fc&oe=590FD180
Last night

Mr Saturn64 Jan 1, 2017 10:43 PM

http://i.imgur.com/jEhg67F.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/Fi39uLz.jpg?1

The construction is now visible from Penn's Landing.

1487 Jan 3, 2017 1:16 PM

you can see the drilling rig from Market street in Philly when you look east

rduffy5 Jan 6, 2017 10:51 PM

This was my view on Thursday 1/5 from Adventure Aquarium in Camden. Looks like the drilling rig still?

...Also, how can I make the picture come up smaller?

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...39&oe=59168457

SJPhillyBoy Jan 8, 2017 6:18 PM

At Camden's Subaru site, plans for a city within a city

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/ne...in_a_city.html

http://media.philly.com/images/01081...DEN08_1200.jpg

The North American HQ of Subaru is already totally topped out and cladding is going up on it.

Larry King Jan 8, 2017 6:35 PM

I love what's happening in Camden, only a matter of time until we see Philly style infill development there.

jsbrook Jan 8, 2017 8:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry King (Post 7671415)
I love what's happening in Camden, only a matter of time until we see Philly style infill development there.

Me too. Many are quick to criticize the enormous incentives the government is giving just to move jobs from one area of the state to another. And there's some merit to that. But I think this Camden revitalization is all about the longterm.

It will probably take decades, infill, and tag-a-long development before it really results in a residential boom of middle income people and true commercial vibrancy. But if this works, won't we all probably say it was 'worth it' notwithstanding the extraordinary lengths that needed to be taken? Camden is presently so divested and in such dire straits, it is probably lost forever without these kinds of measures.