SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHCAGO | Thompson Center redevelopment | Jahn's MASTERPIECE will be saved!!!!!!!!!!! (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249335)

west-town-brad Jul 27, 2022 2:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 9687047)
Anyone know if Google will be consolidating all their offices at the Thompson Center, or if they plan on keeping their Fulton Market campus? Considering their exponential growth in the city, I think they might need to retain both for the number of workers they currently have and plan on growing to.

google says it's an expansion vs consolidation

galleyfox Jul 27, 2022 2:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west-town-brad (Post 9687040)
great news on google.

but what happened to the other guy who was going to buy and renovate? did he just get booted?

It’s the same person.

Instead of renovating for the State of Illinois and doing a partial buyback, they’ll be renovating for Google.

You can just imagine how quickly the State of Illinois bailed on their agreement. They now don’t have to buy back diddly squat. Just move into one of the other nice, regular Loop offices.

Quote:

Google shakes up not only the Loop, but also one of the biggest downtown real estate deals in the past decade. Michael Reschke’s JRTC Holdings previously struck a deal with the state to buy the Thompson Center for $70 million and overhaul the dilapidated, Helmut Jahn-designed building with modern features and amenities, sell a portion back to the State for its offices and market roughly two-thirds of the building to new office, retail and other users.

Under the new plan, Reschke's venture will pay $105 million for 100% of the Thompson Center, which it would renovate and ultimately sell to Google. Reschke said today that he has reached an agreement with Google to renovate the property for the company.

left of center Jul 27, 2022 3:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twister244 (Post 9687046)
Is it possible Google maintains a small public area for folks to enjoy? One can hope.

At the very least I would imagine they would keep the food court open to the public, if only to allow those businesses to survive. I don't see them fully closing off the lobby to the public. Perhaps some agreement has been worked out with this deal in order to cement public access?

ardecila Jul 27, 2022 3:04 PM

They have to preserve some public access because of the CTA station and pedway, this is baked into the deal. I assume they will upscale the food court like the new food hall in the Old Post Office.

Vlajos Jul 27, 2022 3:05 PM

Absolutely fantastic news all around. The state gets out of maintaining a building it obviously can't, gets cash out of it, a new office for its Chicago based workforce on LaSalle which needs rejuvenation AND Google is expanding in the Loop. All arranged by Michael Reschke, a Chicago based developer that will make a good chunk of cash out of the deal.

r18tdi Jul 27, 2022 3:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 9687047)
This is an interesting tidbit. How did 115 S LaSalle get involved in this deal? Was this property owned by Google or Reschke? I assume the state will assume ownership of this building and not lease their offices in there. Either way, consolidating offices all in one location would be a good thing for the state, both from a financial as well as operations perspective.

115 South was the former BMO hq, if I recall correctly. It was mostly vacant on was listed for sale early this year. Not sure if the state is buying the building outright or just leasing offices there.

twister244 Jul 27, 2022 3:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 9687058)
They have to preserve some public access because of the CTA station and pedway, this is baked into the deal. I assume they will upscale the food court like the new food hall in the Old Post Office.

If it ends up being anything like the Post Office food court, then I am 1000% on board with that. For reference, here's a local Eater article showcasing the Post Office food court, which was done really really nicely.

https://chicago.eater.com/2022/7/21/...s-16-on-center

galleyfox Jul 27, 2022 3:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 9687063)
115 South was the former BMO hq, if I recall correctly. It was mostly vacant on was listed for sale early this year. Not sure if the state is buying the building outright or just leasing offices there.

The State is purchasing the building outright. They’re doing a deed transfer.

Thompson Center = 115 S LaSalle + $30 million

Quote:

The $105 million purchase price includes $30 million the state will receive in cash, with the rest coming via title to the office building at 115 S. LaSalle St., which the both parties agreed is worth $75 million, according to a news release from the State. Reschke is under contract to purchase that building—which BMO Harris Bank is vacating as part of a relocation to a new tower next to Union Station—and the state will ultimately own and occupy it.

Reschke's venture will renovate 115 S. LaSalle St. for the State's offices after BMO vacates the building, with renovation work expected to take 18 months, the State said in the news release. Reschke will own adjacent buildings to the east of the tower with the shared address of 111 W. Monroe St.

Kngkyle Jul 27, 2022 3:27 PM

An all-around huge win for the City, State, Google, developer, and taxpayers.

lakeshoredrive Jul 27, 2022 3:49 PM

I can't wait to see how this area will be "revitalized" with Google at the Thompson Center. It will be fun to watch. Hopefully good stuff! And hopefully the renovation will be in line with Google's aesthetic. Will the building's name be changed to something like Google Center? And maybe at the Clark/Lake subway station, it might get a face uplift and have Google advertising similar to North/Clybourn Station for Apple.

ardecila Jul 27, 2022 3:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twister244 (Post 9687066)
If it ends up being anything like the Post Office food court, then I am 1000% on board with that. For reference, here's a local Eater article showcasing the Post Office food court, which was done really really nicely.

https://chicago.eater.com/2022/7/21/...s-16-on-center

The OPO food hall is very nice, but any upscaling of the JRTC food court will mean the loss of many affordable lunch options. Not every downtown worker has a Sweetgreen budget, and downtown should have options for the many lower-income families and individuals in Chicago. I work near Revival and even I can't really afford to eat there, except once in awhile as a rare treat.

i_am_hydrogen Jul 27, 2022 3:57 PM

Gov. J.B. Pritzker confirms Google will be new occupant of iconic, controversial James R. Thompson Center
https://www.chicagotribune.com/polit...qne-story.html

Chisouthside Jul 27, 2022 3:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 9687112)
The OPO food hall is very nice, but any upscaling of the JRTC food court will mean the loss of many affordable lunch options. Not every downtown worker has a Sweetgreen budget, and downtown should have options for the many lower-income families and individuals in Chicago. I work near Revival and even I can't really afford to eat there, except once in awhile as a rare treat.

I hope they keep Pinkys, the beef/gyro spot in the food court.

Klippenstein Jul 27, 2022 4:07 PM

I know I'm random and this is a tangent, but would it be possible to connect 115 S. Lasalle to the pedway at some point? Is there a reason why the Chase building was never connected under Madison? Would this type of connection compromise the foundation enough that it would require massive construction to reengineer/redistribute load? Just curious if anybody has any insight?

r18tdi Jul 27, 2022 4:47 PM

True. Google could be playing a long game. Remember that the site has been rezoned back to DX-16 and the existing building has no protections.
They're still putting $100+ million into the reno, which is something (but I guess not much for them).

west-town-brad Jul 27, 2022 4:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron38 (Post 9687149)
I have no love for Google and I don't trust them.

kinda odd to love or trust any company

galleyfox Jul 27, 2022 5:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 9687112)

I kind of feel like the affordable lunch option will sort itself out?

I simply just can’t get worked up about the Thompson Center fast food venues when the retail areas on nearby blocks are suffering from vacancies.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FYsBRk-WIAApWIb.jpg

Also, the old Harris Bank building would probably be a good candidate for some ground floor retail conversion.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FYsC_bZXgAE-Sha.jpg

left of center Jul 27, 2022 5:04 PM

Quote:

I have no love for Google and I don't trust them. Remember when Motorola Mobility spun off, and was then bought by Google? They moved to the Merch Mart and everyone was so excited? Then Google strip mined all the patents and left the dead hulk behind. They still haven't explained why they weren't allowed to do phone hardware in house, then came out with Pixel a couple years later.

Don't get your hopes up. 50/50 chance this is a flip job.

We'll have to wait and see I suppose. But considering how much they have invested in Fulton Market, I don't think their need for more office space is a farce.

galleyfox Jul 27, 2022 5:10 PM

Quote:

I have no love for Google and I don't trust them. Remember when Motorola Mobility spun off, and was then bought by Google? They moved to the Merch Mart and everyone was so excited? Then Google strip mined all the patents and left the dead hulk behind. They still haven't explained why they weren't allowed to do phone hardware in house, then came out with Pixel a couple years later.

Oh well? If Google is so confident about the Loop that a Thompson Center flip looks like a profitable venture, then I’m not complaining.

The Thompson Center is a building, not a company, so renovation and flipping is its future no matter what. At least it’s not the albatross around the neck of the state of Illinois anymore.

Tom In Chicago Jul 27, 2022 5:11 PM

Quote:

I have a good friend who has worked for Mobility for over 20 years. . . when Google sold to Lenovo he and much of the engineering folks moved to Google. . . a not so insignificant part of the development for the Pixel is here in Chicago. . .

. . .

ardecila Jul 27, 2022 6:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klippenstein (Post 9687125)
I know I'm random and this is a tangent, but would it be possible to connect 115 S. Lasalle to the pedway at some point? Is there a reason why the Chase building was never connected under Madison? Would this type of connection compromise the foundation enough that it would require massive construction to reengineer/redistribute load? Just curious if anybody has any insight?

There used to be a 2nd-floor skybridge connecting Chase Tower (One First National) to 70 W Madison (Three First National) and the rest of the pedway system, but this was demolished long ago.

There was also a pedestrian tunnel under Clark St connecting Chase Tower (One First National) to 20 S Clark (Two First National). It looks like that tunnel is still there and it is now being repaired, a big part of Clark St is ripped up right now for the "Chase Tunnel Project".

20 S Clark probably wants that all-weather connection to the Blue Line! It's also possible that this is an investment by Chase, maybe they have given up their search for a new trophy tower and will re-invest in their current HQ tower with expansion in 20 S Clark.

CrazyCres Jul 27, 2022 6:57 PM

Google says they will move into the building in 2026

Link: https://blog.google/inside-google/co...ompson-center/

Halsted & Villagio Jul 27, 2022 6:57 PM

Great news!! Kudos to Google and hooray for this city! Jahn was truly ahead of his time. In the age of Covid (and other airborne diseases) buildings like the Thompson with big atriums and/or open air design could become the norm. Particularly once optimum air circulation issues are worked out by the new owners. I can’t help but think this may have played a role in their decision.

Either way, I am happy they will be taking over this iconic building… and will be giving the CBD a much needed shot in the arm. :cheers:

Kumdogmillionaire Jul 28, 2022 12:58 AM

I've always found the building highly overrated mostly because of how horribly kept and dirty the facade was and how poorly the interior aged, but with the right renovations, it would become a very cool place for people to congregate in the Loop

marothisu Jul 28, 2022 1:24 AM

When can we expect to see the sudden influx of hip and/or expensive things in the area? 2025?

Also banking on a residential conversion or 2 nearby.

pip Jul 28, 2022 1:56 AM

Great news Chicago!

Randomguy34 Jul 28, 2022 2:42 AM

A good friend of mine grew up near Broadway & Wall St in Lower Manhattan when the area was transforming into a mixed-use neighborhood after 9/11. His building was a part of a wave of old bank offices being converted to residential when office vacancies rose to 15.2% and residential vacancies were 45%. He said the area was surprisingly affordable when they first moved, but over the next decade became increasingly expensive as more high-income residents and workers started moving into the area. The opening of the new WTC complex and the flood of tourists and corporate workers really seemed to be what brought in a flurry of ritzy goods in the area. Now the area has several upscale restaurants, high-end jewelry and fashion stores, luxury hotels such as Nobu, and plenty of other expensive ass stuff.

LaSalle St at the rest of the Loop will likely follow in the same path as Manhattan's Financial District's evolution. The Thompson Center will bring in thousands of Google workers at a time when thousands of other workers will occupy millions of square feet of office space that has opened along Wacker Dr and the river. A sizeable chunk of them will want to live nearby, which will likely trigger a wave of residential conversions around the area. If several of the recent ideas to transform Lasalle St are implemented, I can imagine many more residents and tourists wanting to visit the area. All of these will really act as a feedback loop (no pun intended), and turn the area into a mixed-use district. If folks want a more detailed description of Lower Manhattan's transformation and see what The Loop may look like, below is a report by the NYC Department of City Planning

Report: https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/planning...e_post_911.pdf

pilsenarch Jul 28, 2022 2:42 PM

This is the most positive thing to happen to the Loop since Millennium Park.

Google presence here will do for the Loop what McDonalds and Google started in Fulton Market.

galleyfox Jul 28, 2022 3:01 PM

LOL, Illinois.

Can’t forget to move the Dubuffet Sculpture.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FYwufvoUcAE5cd1.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FYwuhrdV...pg&name=medium
https://twitter.com/govpritzker/stat...ExYnkUsd3T8PCQ

Randomguy34 Jul 28, 2022 3:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilsenarch (Post 9687949)
This is the most positive thing to happen to the Loop since Millennium Park.

^ apparently DNC folks were enthused about the news. We also now have some figures of Google's expansion plans. They're planning to grow by around 5000 workers over the next four years, so 7000 in total!

Google expansion will enhance Chicago's tech cred
Quote:

The tech giant will move into the James R. Thompson Center and is expected to add up to 5,000 jobs over the next four years, more than tripling its current local workforce to about 7,000, sources familiar with its plans say. Google declined to comment on its hiring goals.
Until a few years ago, Google had about 1,000 workers in Chicago and more than 7,000 in New York City. That gap could narrow significantly now, making Chicago seem like more of a hub and less of an outpost.
Pritzker said the Google news already was paying dividends yesterday when he met with officials from the Democratic National Committee who were wrapping up their visit to evaluate Chicago as a potential host for the party’s 2024 national convention.

“They heard about it. When I walked in the room, they said, ‘My God, this is huge.’ They all were excited about what this will mean for Chicago," the governor added. "People will see Google as a central piece in downtown Chicago. You can feel it already.”
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/john...cago-tech-cred

ardecila Jul 28, 2022 3:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galleyfox (Post 9687970)
LOL, Illinois.

Can’t forget to move the Dubuffet Sculpture.

There is already an amazing modernist fountain by Russell Secrest in front of the Harris Building and a nice seating area. Can't wait for the state to turn this into a sterile plaza where nobody is allowed to sit down.

http://chicagopublicart.blogspot.com...-fountain.html

twister244 Jul 28, 2022 3:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randomguy34 (Post 9687973)
^ apparently DNC folks were enthused about the news. We also now have some figures of Google's expansion plans. They're planning to grow by around 5000 workers over the next four years, so 7000 in total!

Google expansion will enhance Chicago's tech cred

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/john...cago-tech-cred

I would absolutely LOVE to see Chicago become more of a tech hub. As someone who has thoughts of entrepreneurship in the startup space, I would love to see a larger concentration of VC, accelerators, incubators, etc that bubble up around a growing presence of tech talent.

rlw777 Jul 28, 2022 4:42 PM

Wow this is huge for the loop. Hopefully this helps some other developments that have been languishing like the Reid Murdoch Building hotel and 130 N Franklin.

Tombstoner Jul 28, 2022 7:34 PM

As a resident of the Loop, I am also excited by the prospect that this can be the start of a broader revival of a positive Chicago narrative. My concern, however, is that the powers-that-be will see this as a "HUGE WIN--YAY US!!! We dodged a bullet! Let's milk the sh** out of this as this buys us MORE TIME (certainly until after the next elections) to ignore the fact that streets are trashed, people are afraid to be out after 10pm, police turn a blind eye to ass***** using major thoroughfares as drag strips on which they can blare shi*** music...this is the get out of jail free card we've been waiting for!!!!"
It's too simplistic to lay blame for the city's ills at the feet of LL/Dem machine--it just seems like ANY powers-that-be are looking to the next election cycle and are more than willing to piss away opportunities that require vision/courage/work. Having Google move in and then not feel they can't make the go of it they'd hoped for (not getting people to work there, not acting as a real tech incubator) would be tragic. PLEASE don't f*** it up, Chicago powers-that-be.

Zapatan Jul 28, 2022 7:54 PM

2026? I guess renovations will take a while.

Still amazing news for the the loop and Chicago as a whole. :cheers:

rivernorthlurker Jul 28, 2022 8:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 9688404)
2026? I guess renovations will take a while.

Still amazing news for the the loop and Chicago as a whole. :cheers:

Yeah, it is a ways off, but impact on future property value, planning, and perception of the Loop from others in the market will be immediate.

Randomguy34 Jul 28, 2022 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker (Post 9688460)
Yeah, it is a ways off, but impact on future property value, planning, and perception of the Loop from others in the market will be immediate.

Exactly. According to Crain's source, if Chicago's Google hub will employ 7000 people, that'll be their 2nd largest in the world next to NYC's soon to be 14000 workers. Chicago's hub will have more workers than even Google's HQ in Mountain View! The company clearly has tremendous confidence in Chicago, and that will be a major signal to any tech company on the fence about expanding in the city.

marothisu Jul 28, 2022 11:39 PM

Crains has a new article up on how this happened. Apparently it happened really fast as Reschke reconnected with someone he knew before who became the head or high up with Google real estate. He said they were looking to significantly expand in Chicago and saw his company had purchased Thomspon Center. The state and Pritzker weren't tied to thompson center and saw hoe big Google taking it up was. And luckily Reschke bought 2 more buildings down the street. So very quickly Pritzker agreed to go into the old BMO Harris building to let Google realize their massive expansion plans in Chicago more.

Also mentioned in the article is that Reschke is considering turning the top 10 floors of 111 W Madison into 300 new apartments.

Briguy Jul 29, 2022 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marothisu (Post 9688693)
Crains has a new article up on how this happened. Apparently it happened really fast as Reschke reconnected with someone he knew before who became the head or high up with Google real estate. He said they were looking to significantly expand in Chicago and saw his company had purchased Thomspon Center. The state and Pritzker weren't tied to thompson center and saw hoe big Google taking it up was. And luckily Reschke bought 2 more buildings down the street. So very quickly Pritzker agreed to go into the old BMO Harris building to let Google realize their massive expansion plans in Chicago more.

Also mentioned in the article is that Reschke is considering turning the top 10 floors of 111 W Madison into 300 new apartments.

AND he's converting 10 floors of old Harris into apts? This is the exact person Chicago needs to drive the loop forward into a post covid era. Also he's gonna make some serious money on a very risky bet so good for him.

BruceP Jul 29, 2022 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marothisu (Post 9688693)

Where's 111 W Madison? There's 105 W on the corner of Clark and 123 W mid-block. Are you talking about 111 W Monroe? Either way, how do you stuff 300 apartments into just 10 floors?

marothisu Jul 29, 2022 1:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceP (Post 9688741)
Where's 111 W Madison? There's 105 W on the corner of Clark and 123 W mid-block. Are you talking about 111 W Monroe? Either way, how do you stuff 300 apartments into just 10 floors?

Oops yeah, Monroe.

No idea. That's what the article stated.

pullmanman Jul 29, 2022 1:41 AM

>Either way, how do you stuff 300 apartments into just 10 floors?

I couldn't find proper figures / diagrams of it's floorplates, but just dividing total square footage of the building by floor count I got 59,800 square feet per floor. Divide by 30 and you get 1,993 square feet per unit.

Now obviously this doesn't address the incredible creativity in floorplans required to get 30 units on one floor to all have window space for bedrooms. I my napkin calculations ignore things like hallways, revamped water, electric, and HVAC that will all take space. But if they figure those things out and pull off a partial residential conversion here it'd be great for the Loop, as many others in this thread have said.

Briguy Jul 29, 2022 1:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pullmanman (Post 9688774)

I couldn't find proper figures / diagrams of it's floorplates, but just dividing total square footage of the building by floor count I got 59,800 square feet per floor. Divide by 30 and you get 1,993 square feet per unit.

Now obviously this doesn't address the incredible creativity in floorplans required to get 30 units on one floor to all have window space for bedrooms. I my napkin calculations ignore things like hallways, revamped water, electric, and HVAC that will all take space. But if they figure those things out and pull off a partial residential conversion here it'd be great for the Loop, as many others in this thread have said.

The lower floors are, by my rough estimate, about 50k sq ft. The whole building is 37 stories and 1.2mil sq ft so I don't know where you got that 60k sq ft per floor figure (1200000/37=32,000) You could feasibly put 30 apts in a 50k floor.

ardecila Jul 29, 2022 2:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pullmanman (Post 9688774)

Here you go. This is sort of unusual because all the stairs and elevators are in the original 1911 building (Harris I), so the Harris II floorplates are pretty open. Walter Netsch did this right after Inland Steel.

This floorplan is from before they built Harris III on the LaSalle side, FYI...

https://i.ibb.co/1rvWC9J/image-5.png

Mr Downtown Jul 29, 2022 3:23 AM

The one I think would make the most incredible residential conversion is 135 South LaSalle. Seems like the windowline-to-floorplate ratio would work out pretty nicely—but it's a lot of square footage to do all at once.

pullmanman Jul 29, 2022 2:08 PM

I found a better floorplan diagram from a building welcome guide. No units or anything but gives an idea of the layout. Also my calculations were way off lol.

https://imgpile.com/images/Rpg8Dg.png

r18tdi Jul 29, 2022 2:20 PM

The Real Deal did a Q&A with the architect.
Some details worth noting:

Quote:

How do you feel about going back into the Thompson Center and designing its repositioning after Helmut, your father, originally designed it, and what are you planning?
The building is going to be enhanced to a level and expectation of a 21st century office, in terms of its operating efficiency, its daylight and its ventilation. The facade obviously has to change, based off of present day energy codes. People see it as this big glass building, but because it’s a lot of mirrored glass and opaque panels, they fail to realize it’s only about 25 percent visible glass, aside from the atrium glass wall. Most offices nowadays are closer to 60 or 70 percent visible glass, and we will bring it closer to that.

But we’re very enthusiastic to reinvestigate the opportunities for the Thompson Center now almost 40 years later. Because the technology has evolved that allows the building to showcase its potential for experimentation of what an office building can embody, not just from a metaphorical stance but actually now that we’re in this post-pandemic office hybrid work routine, to have more open space, more relationship with the outside, more opportunities for fresh air and collaboration space. It’s undeniable that it’s an iconic building and its interconnectedness with the city is inseparable.

Are air rights associated with the property? Could the footprint be potentially expanded?
You would have to talk to the developer group about that. I don’t think anything is changing based on what’s been discussed. There have been a lot of ideas thrown around about putting a tower on the site. Those were very conceptual or pre-concept sort of ideas put out there.

Handro Jul 29, 2022 3:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Briguy (Post 9688714)
AND he's converting 10 floors of old Harris into apts? This is the exact person Chicago needs to drive the loop forward into a post covid era. Also he's gonna make some serious money on a very risky bet so good for him.

I see a "Reschke Ave" somewhere in Chicago's future...

ardecila Jul 29, 2022 3:20 PM

^ Good to hear that quote from Jahn Jr.

I think the end result of this will undoubtedly be great architecture, great adaptive reuse and an innovative workspace for Google. But it won't exist in a vacuum - the radical reconstructive surgery will surely eliminate the Postmodern aspects of the design (historic references, use of color, etc) and may also seriously reduce the extensive public/democratic spaces that were a key part of the concept. This is not a building in isolation, but a key part of connective tissue in the Loop. It connects to two CTA stations, it is a key link in the Pedway system, and above-grade it is part of an urban campus of government buildings and public space that is the "agora" of Chicago. The building managers from the state government went out of their way to prioritize retail businesses that reflected the diversity of Chicago, or at least provided affordable goods and services that were accessible to everyone.

It's too early to see post-Google renderings, but this is a bittersweet feeling for sure. I have faith that Jahn, the firm is willing to be generous in preserving or enhancing the original ideas in the building design, since it is such an important part of the firm's lore. But I seriously doubt Google wants to be associated with the many aspects of the design that are "tacky" in the eyes of the public, and will push for a fresh start as much as possible using the structural frame of the old building. Ironically, Google is one of the few private companies that could afford to subsidize the public spaces of this building - but only if they want to.

Via Chicago Jul 29, 2022 5:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 9689055)
^ Good to hear that quote from Jahn Jr.

I think the end result of this will undoubtedly be great architecture, great adaptive reuse and an innovative workspace for Google. But it won't exist in a vacuum - the radical reconstructive surgery will surely eliminate the Postmodern aspects of the design (historic references, use of color, etc) and may also seriously reduce the extensive public/democratic spaces that were a key part of the concept. This is not a building in isolation, but a key part of connective tissue in the Loop. It connects to two CTA stations, it is a key link in the Pedway system, and above-grade it is part of an urban campus of government buildings and public space that is the "agora" of Chicago. The building managers from the state government went out of their way to prioritize retail businesses that reflected the diversity of Chicago, or at least provided affordable goods and services that were accessible to everyone.

It's too early to see post-Google renderings, but this is a bittersweet feeling for sure. I have faith that Jahn, the firm is willing to be generous in preserving or enhancing the original ideas in the building design, since it is such an important part of the firm's lore. But I seriously doubt Google wants to be associated with the many aspects of the design that are "tacky" in the eyes of the public, and will push for a fresh start as much as possible using the structural frame of the old building. Ironically, Google is one of the few private companies that could afford to subsidize the public spaces of this building - but only if they want to.

I cant keep track of Googles holdings in NYC, but didnt they have publicly accessible food halls in their building? Maybe Im mis-remembering, but hopefully they work something in. Granted, Im not expecting BK/KFC/Sbarro in the rework