SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

ethereal_reality Apr 14, 2021 2:41 AM

.
Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryHuntington (Post 9248073)
__________________________

It's the NE corner of Hollywood Blvd. and Las Palmas Ave., e-r.

George's has been replaced by the Rusty Mullet at 6689 Hollywood Blvd. I need to revive my photo hosting arrangements, so apologies for not providing a screenshot.



https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/C3KvMn.jpg
GSV






The removal of the old signage has exposed all the light transomes....A welcome improvement.



https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/sAP79R.jpg
detail


It appears the Rusty Mullet is history - making way for the Hot Motha Clucker....:uhh:


.

riichkay Apr 14, 2021 7:03 AM

A flickr.com poster came across a discarded photo album, 1890's-1920's, a fair number of the images are L.A./So. Cal.....it's a mix of postcards, professional photos and family snapshots.....https://www.flickr.com/photos/atomic...h/11748206814/



https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds





https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds





https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds
1890's




https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds
about 1899





https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds






https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds





https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds
about 1900





https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds

Wow, "broadsheet", they weren't kidding....





https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds
about 1906



Signage detail....

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds





https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds
hospital, Santa Monica

Sakhal Nakhash Apr 14, 2021 10:17 AM

My old stomping grounds.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryHuntington (Post 9248073)
__________________________

It's the NE corner of Hollywood Blvd. and Las Palmas Ave., e-r.

George's has been replaced by the Rusty Mullet at 6689 Hollywood Blvd. I need to revive my photo hosting arrangements, so apologies for not providing a screenshot.

George's Burgers can be seen in Pretty Woman.
I was staying in the Hotel Las Palmas for a little while and just happened to catch it on T.V. one day and decided to watch it (I had not seen it before) because I had heard that a few scenes were filmed at the Hotel Las Palmas.
It was kind of odd to see the building that I was sitting in on t.v.
Same with an episode of Seinfeld.
At the time I was there the former burger joint was a heavy metal bar called Kings and Angels, or somesuch.
Then it became The Rusty Mullet.
I used to refer to it as the "steamboat building" because of the little room on the top that looked like a pilot-house from an old paddle-wheeler.

ethereal_reality Apr 14, 2021 7:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakhal Nakhash (Post 9248270)
I used to refer to it as the "steamboat building" because of the little room on the top that looked like a pilot-house from an old paddle-wheeler.

Your comparison sounds like something I might say. :) And, yes, it does look like a pilot house.
......


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/zRWEBE.jpg
GSV

I've oftened wondered about that little room on the roof.





Whatever it is the owners of the building are taking care of it. In 2016 the windows are missing - hopefully out for repair.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/O9e2Od.jpg
GSV detail





Hmm. . .is this the building that had the mystery thingy on the roof that resembled an enormous sci-fi television? :shrug:

.

rick m Apr 14, 2021 8:07 PM

Site also of---
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9248980)
Your comparison sounds like something I might say. :) And, yes, it does look like a pilot house.
......


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/zRWEBE.jpg
GSV

I've oftened wondered about that little room on the roof.





Whatever it is the owners of the building are taking care of it. In 2016 the windows are missing - hopefully out for repair.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/O9e2Od.jpg
GSV detail





Hmm. . .is this the building that had the mystery thingy on the roof that resembled an enormous sci-fi television? :shrug:

.

This corner: 1957 "Camps" was the premier gay piano bar- The couple who founded Uptown Alliance met here- the younger one was 18 year old pianist- had Hollywood's only hunky bartenders--By 1966 this was the Roman Terrace. By 1970 it was Mr. G's- who also opened probably the first very queer gift shop across the street.

HossC Apr 14, 2021 8:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9248980)

Hmm. . .is this the building that had the mystery thingy on the roof that resembled an enormous sci-fi television? :shrug:

Close, but that building was about 150 yards east. It's now the Escape Hotel Hollywood. My quick search of the thread didn't find the original post, but here's a reminder of what I think is still one of the few unsolved mysteries on NLA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noircitydame (Post 7347971)

I looked at the permits today and got nothing out of it but a headache. I still have no clue what that thing is.

this view was originally posted by E-R

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...14e8d745ac.jpg

But this building was remodeled in 1937. S. Charles Lee turned it into the streamlined Sontag that opened 12-19-1937, with the address 6637 Hollywood Blvd., seen in this great color photo from E-R's post #29450

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...lle/sontag.jpg

The Jade moved up the block to 6619 Hollywood Blvd. in November 1937. Its vertical sign can be seen in the color photo, red with gold lettering. (The Curtain Store, with the "Drapes Made Free" blade sign, at 6625 were unaffected by the remodel- their sign is in both photos)


Martin Pal Apr 14, 2021 8:46 PM

:previous:

Beat me, Hoss!
(additional photos)

That was at Cherokee Ave.:

https://m.psecn.photoshelter.com/img...IwlFx.C404.jpg

https://m.psecn.photoshelter.com/img...2WNahiGKts.jpg

https://m.psecn.photoshelter.com/img...pMggkgL5us.jpg

(1937)
The Jade
The Virginia
Bradley's 5 and 10

HossC Apr 14, 2021 8:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riichkay (Post 9248245)

The Angelus Hotel at Fourth and Spring opened in 1901. The view below, taken from a very similar angle, is dated 1905. The presence of the corner clock in the image below makes me think that the one above dates from a little earlier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 8362873)


rick m Apr 14, 2021 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick m (Post 9249049)
This corner: 1957 "Camps" was the premier gay piano bar- The couple who founded Uptown Alliance met here- the younger one was 18 year old pianist- had Hollywood's only hunky bartenders--By 1966 this was the Roman Terrace. By 1970 it was Mr. G's- who also opened probably the first very queer gift shop across the street.

A bit of addendum to 1708 Hollywood Blvd--After CAMPS where the two Carls met and lasted 55 years as a pair-- In 1960 became COMPOSERS CLUB, in 1961 Mister T's , in '62 Grecian Terrace, in '64 finally the Roman Terrace .. a Mr. G's was a block east @ 5900... More than 40 different places within half square mile. Las Palmas and Hollywood was ground central to the nightlife---

Martin Pal Apr 15, 2021 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick m (Post 9249243)
A bit of addendum to 1708 Hollywood Blvd--After CAMPS where the two Carls met and lasted 55 years as a pair-- In 1960 became COMPOSERS CLUB, in 1961 Mister T's , in '62 Grecian Terrace, in '64 finally the Roman Terrace .. a Mr. G's was a block east @ 5900... More than 40 different places within half square mile. Las Palmas and Hollywood was ground central to the nightlife---


I realize there are 4 corners at the intersection of Hollywood Blvd. and Las Palmas Ave. and I am wondering where The Royal Room was located. I'd first noticed it on this record album somewhere along the way:

https://img.discogs.com/9V_YHtX2Et8V...-2142.jpeg.jpgDiscogs

Jack Teagarden and His Band Live at the Royal Room, Hollywood November 1, 1951.

In searching around online for Las Palmas Ave. recently I came across this photo:

Fire at Royal Room, Hollywood and Las Palmas, December 6, 1957. Photographer: Wesselmann.
Fireman chops up the bar in effort to extinguish flames in woodwork at Royal Room.

No other photos or information.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...e-id1047887236USC LD

Same place? That's as far as I seem to be getting.

BDiH Apr 15, 2021 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick m (Post 9249243)

Las Palmas and Hollywood was ground central to the nightlife---

One block of Las Palmas in 1946:

Las Palmas Avenue Night Spots and Eateries

Mad House Cafe
1710 N. Las Palmas Ave.

Miss Ann's
1747 N. Las Palmas Ave.

Pep's Vesuvio Restaurant
1716 N. Las Palmas Ave.

Swing Club
1710 N. Las Palmas Ave.

Tasty Snack Bar
1718 N. Las Palmas Ave.

http://www.theblackdahliainhollywood.com/

HenryHuntington Apr 15, 2021 12:59 AM

Martin Pal, the 1956 L.A. City Street Directory shows the Royal Room at 6700 Hollywood Blvd., which would be the SW corner of Las Palmas Ave.

Sakhal Nakhash Apr 15, 2021 8:02 AM

Thr- Two little maids from school were they...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 9249099)
Close, but that building was about 150 yards east. It's now the Escape Hotel Hollywood. My quick search of the thread didn't find the original post, but here's a reminder of what I think is still one of the few unsolved mysteries on NLA.


When I was a child that used to be a Love's BBQ. My father would take me there all the time. Then, when I was living few doors up the street on Cherokee, it was called the Geisha House.
I remember sitting on the fire escape near my apartment people watching (something I would do often), and one evening, all at the same time I saw two geisha girls shuffling past (as I was singing the Mikado in my mind), also there was Zorro with his rapier and a rose, and someone dressed as a transformer clanking along.
I loved Hollywood.

rick m Apr 15, 2021 1:08 PM

in Greg Williams Story of Hollywood: Vesuvius 1st gay club raid in '44-also popular in 1940s:Slim Gordons, Frolic Room, Blackies basement @ 6410, Bradleys @ Cherokee..

Bristolian Apr 15, 2021 4:39 PM

I learned of photographer Matt Oswalt from Earl Boebert's post here.

I couldn't help but admire someone who has been called ''The Ansel Adams of liquor store photography" so I've been following him on Instagram. https://www.instagram.com/mattoswaltva/?hl=en

I thought I'd post his latest shot here. It's not noirish as far as time period but I think it is in attitude and title and it's definitely L.A. It's called "marijuanoir". I love it, as well as many other shots of his.

https://i.imgur.com/mP7WbWR.png?1https://www.instagram.com/mattoswaltva/?hl=en

ovens Apr 15, 2021 5:59 PM

I have the Matt Oswalt book its very very nice to look at. All LA/SoCal stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bristolian (Post 9250059)
I learned of photographer Matt Oswalt from Earl Boebert's post here.

I couldn't help but admire someone who has been called ''The Ansel Adams of liquor store photography" so I've been following him on Instagram. https://www.instagram.com/mattoswaltva/?hl=en

I thought I'd post his latest shot here. It's not noirish as far as time period but I think it is in attitude and title and it's definitely L.A. It's called "marijuanoir". I love it, as well as many other shots of his.

https://i.imgur.com/mP7WbWR.png?1https://www.instagram.com/mattoswaltva/?hl=en


Snix Apr 15, 2021 7:35 PM

Spotted this neat shot of a The Flite Room (Flite Rm.) at 4117 Lakewood Blvd. in Lakewood / Long Beach on Yelp of all places. The county assessor dates the building to 1948 and it is still in great condition.
https://s3-media0.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...WLX70tlQ/o.jpg https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/the-...eLnAj3WLX70tlQ
In 1974 "two desperate gunmen - bent on freedom or death - played a deadly waiting game with more than 100 heavily armed sheriff's deputies late into the night...as they held two hostages, one with a heart ailent, waiting for someone to break the stalemate."
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...372b264f_z.jpg
(Long Beach Press-Telegram 6.29.74)
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...f53a6496_z.jpg
GSV

stanklem Apr 15, 2021 7:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 9249103)
:previous:

Beat me, Hoss!
(additional photos)

That was at Cherokee Ave.:

https://m.psecn.photoshelter.com/img...IwlFx.C404.jpg

https://m.psecn.photoshelter.com/img...2WNahiGKts.jpg

https://m.psecn.photoshelter.com/img...pMggkgL5us.jpg

(1937)
The Jade
The Virginia
Bradley's 5 and 10

I conject it is a film projection viewer similar to large screens used today.

odinthor Apr 15, 2021 9:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snix (Post 9250308)
Spotted this neat shot of a The Flite Room (Flite Rm.) at 4117 Lakewood Blvd. in Lakewood / Long Beach on Yelp of all places. The county assessor dates the building to 1948 and it is still in great condition.
https://s3-media0.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...WLX70tlQ/o.jpg https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/the-...eLnAj3WLX70tlQ
In 1974 "two desperate gunmen - bent on freedom or death - played a deadly waiting game with more than 100 heavily armed sheriff's deputies late into the night...as they held two hostages, one with a heart ailent, waiting for someone to break the stalemate."
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...372b264f_z.jpg
(Long Beach Press-Telegram 6.29.74)
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...f53a6496_z.jpg
GSV


The name of the Flite Room presumably arises from its proximity to the big Long Beach Boeing plant, a mere (almost literal) stone's throw away.

ethereal_reality Apr 15, 2021 9:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanklem (Post 9250327)
I conject it is a film projection viewer similar to large screens used today.

Thanks stinklem


I couldn't help but notice the object on the roof has the same dimensions as a slide viewer. A really BIG slide viewer.

Here's a little one.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/3...924/12jqDy.jpg

But if it worked as a projector (showing giant transparancies) it would have to have been slanted downward to be viewed from the street and sidewalks. . .

. . .but as you can see it isn't.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...922/rYJwgR.jpg









postscript

OK, I just looked at the 2nd old photographs again.

There appears to be a 'lens' (or screen?) several feet inside the frame that is slightly slanted downward. :shrug: (but I don't think it's enough to make a difference)

Do see it? Does it look slightly slanted to anyone else or am I imagining things?
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...924/3BHBWD.jpg


Obviously the dark space between the outer frame and this interior 'screen' worked as a shield from the sun so the image could be seen during the day.


Also too. . .surely something this large and out of the ordinary was reported in the local newspapers. (but so far, zilch)




Whatever it is. . this roof-top oddity has stumped all of us for years and is one of the very few mysteries that we haven't been able to solve on NLA. :(
.

ethereal_reality Apr 15, 2021 11:07 PM

.
Let's take the Wayback Machine to the 1880s so we can visit the mystery location shown below.


"Cabinet Photograph of Paraffine Paint Co / P& B Roofing Warehouse Los Angeles"


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/JNbGkE.jpg
eBay


As you can see the company's offices were located downtown at 5th and Spring St. but the location of the warehouse is a mystery. Luckily we have the street number of the warehouse, 711 - 715
but the name of the street remains a mystery.

-note the palm tree and the rather tall mailbox (or is it a sign?) on the far right side - - >


.

Noir_Noir Apr 15, 2021 11:52 PM

:previous:

https://i.imgur.com/b9aeCYl.jpg
rescarta.lapl.org

HenryHuntington Apr 16, 2021 2:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9250462)

postscript

OK, I just looked at the 2nd old photographs again.

There appears to be a 'lens' (or screen?) several feet inside the frame that is slightly slanted downward. :shrug: (but I don't think it's enough to make a difference)

Do see it? Does it look slightly slanted to anyone else or am I imagining things?
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...924/3BHBWD.jpg


Obviously the dark space between the outer frame and this interior 'screen' worked as a shield from the sun so the image could be seen during the day.


Also too. . .surely something this large and out of the ordinary was reported in the local newspapers. (but so far, zilch)




Whatever it is. . this roof-top oddity has stumped all of us for years and is one of the very few mysteries that we haven't been able to solve on NLA. :(
.

__________________________

Under magnification, it does look like there's a rear-projection screen housed within the box structure. There also appears to be a steel cable strung across the opening most of the way up. I don't see any provision for audio, so stills or silent movies likely were the video format.

Looking across the street, where the presumed audience would be, there was the Cherokee Building (now the Hollywood-Cherokee Building). The "T" intersection provides for a longer continuous sidewalk on that side of the Boulevard, which makes me wonder if it was a preferred area for viewing parades or whatever.

Meanwhile, note the apparent radio antenna mast supported by guy wires above or behind the United Airlines ticket office. The mast doesn't appear substantial enough for commercial broadcast (could be wrong here), so I wonder (a) if that's what it was, (b) what its purpose might've been and (c) if it had any relationship beyond proximity to The Thing.

For a smallish commercial building, The Virginia certainly had its share of interesting features.

CaliNative Apr 16, 2021 4:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanklem (Post 9250327)
I conject it is a film projection viewer similar to large screens used today.

Besides the possible visual projector aspect, it could have also been an audio projector like a megaphone, possibly amplified electronically. The name of the building is the "The Virginia". Maybe that is a clue:

To wit, Frank Lloyd directed the film "THE HOWARDS OF VIRGINIA" in the late 1930s starring Cary Grant. Lloyd has his sidewalk walk of fame star almost directly in front of this building location at 6667 Hollywood Blvd. Could that have something to do with the building being called the "Virginia"? Maybe Lloyd had offices there or even an ownership interest (hence naming rights)? Anyway, his star is right in front of where it stood. Lloyd is best known for directing the 1935 version of Mutiny on the Bounty starring Clark Gable & Charles Laughton. Perhaps the gadget on the roof was an audio/visual device to promote his films?

Martin Pal Apr 16, 2021 5:53 PM

:previous:

If I recall correctly, The Virginia was an apartment complex.
____________

HossC posted this in 2014, indicating it was...

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 6564600)
Could this be the Virginia Apartments at 6629½ Hollywood Boulevard where John Ford once lived? The extract below is from a book called 'Print the Legend: The Life and Times of John Ford' by Scott Eyman.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...nFordQuote.jpg
books.google.com


Earl Boebert Apr 16, 2021 7:29 PM

I did a Newspapers.com search of the address hoping for an article. Nothing, but here's what I gleaned and deduced from the photos:

6637 Hollywood Blvd: The Jade. No advertisements or mentions. Then Sontag Drugs after 1937.

6635 Hollywood Blvd: United Air Lines/Western Air Express ticket office. No mentions after 1937.

6633 Hollywood Blvd: Stern's Fine Furs. July 1937 ad states "Moving to 6659 Hollywood Blvd" and "Building Coming Down"

6631 Hollywood Blvd: Lichter's Deli. October 1937 article says moved to 6615.

6629 1/2 Hollywood Blvd: Unmarked door, probably to apartments on second floor, consistent with Martin Pal/HossC postings.

6629 Hollywood Blvd: 1936 ad for Dudleigh's Smoke Shop, then 1938 article stating Los Angeles Music Company moving into the Sontag Building.

6627 Hollywood Blvd: Edmund F. Richardson, Optometrist mentioned in article. Then starting in 1938, ads for musical instruments bought and sold.

So this reinforces what we already knew, and the mystery object dates to before the building was convert to Sontag Drugs in the early Fall of 1937. 6637-6631 Sontag, 6629 1/2 gone, 6629-6627 Los Angeles Music Co.

Cheers,

Earl

Lwize Apr 17, 2021 12:58 AM

What about 6625 Hollywood Blvd?

CaliNative Apr 17, 2021 1:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanklem (Post 9250327)
I conject it is a film projection viewer similar to large screens used today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 9249103)
:previous:

Beat me, Hoss!
(additional photos)

That was at Cherokee Ave.:

https://m.psecn.photoshelter.com/img...IwlFx.C404.jpg

https://m.psecn.photoshelter.com/img...2WNahiGKts.jpg

https://m.psecn.photoshelter.com/img...pMggkgL5us.jpg

(1937)
The Jade
The Virginia
Bradley's 5 and 10

I see drapes in the windows on the second floor, consistent with these being dwellings, not offices. But perhaps there is a link also to director Frank Lloyd, since he does have his sidewalk star almost in front, and he did make the "Howards of Virginia" with Cary Grant. Maybe he owned the building or lived there? Still a mystery about the device on the roof. Must be a projector or viewing screen of some sort, maybe for advertisements or movie promotions, and mabe with audio also. In the upper left corner of the second floor there is a sign saying the "owner will erect a new building". Is this building still there?

Noir_Noir Apr 17, 2021 3:00 AM

:previous:


Here's another view, dated 1925, of The Virginia Apartments building.


https://i.imgur.com/OSYR4eT.jpg
waterandpower.org


As to the "roof-top oddity", I think this July 1936 permit is the one that relates to it. Only refers to it as being a steel sign though. :shrug:


https://i.imgur.com/lTRDinU.jpg
ladbsdoc.lacity.org


The pictures with the oddity on the roof must come between this and demolition in August 1937.

Earl Boebert Apr 17, 2021 3:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lwize (Post 9251916)
What about 6625 Hollywood Blvd?

The little building next door to The Virginia:

1934, Peter B Maus, butcher

November 1935, The Curtain Store

July 1938 Mattson's Army Navy store and the Curtain Store

July 1944 The Italian Kitchen and The Curtain Store

The Curtain Store uniformly until January 1960 [!] and then Christian Science Reading Room.

Cheers,

Earl

stanklem Apr 17, 2021 1:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir_Noir (Post 9252009)
:previous:


Here's another view, dated 1925, of The Virginia Apartments building.


https://i.imgur.com/OSYR4eT.jpg
waterandpower.org


As to the "roof-top oddity", I think this July 1936 permit is the one that relates to it. Only refers to it as being a steel sign though. :shrug:


https://i.imgur.com/lTRDinU.jpg
ladbsdoc.lacity.org


The pictures with the oddity on the roof must come between this and demolition in August 1937.

In building department-speak it may be a sign if it fits that legal description. Were there other permits associated with the sign?

There is a permit for a water tower in 1937. Water towers are required for sprinkler systems. Not seen on any photos yet.

Demolition permit in 1937. No description of what was demolished. Permit was issued to a wrecking company so the work might be substantial.

Sign installation in 1938.

There is also the possibility the installation was illegal. Not unheard of for the era.

montréaliste Apr 17, 2021 1:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryHuntington (Post 9250870)
__________________________

Under magnification, it does look like there's a rear-projection screen housed within the box structure. There also appears to be a steel cable strung across the opening most of the way up. I don't see any provision for audio, so stills or silent movies likely were the video format.

Looking across the street, where the presumed audience would be, there was the Cherokee Building (now the Hollywood-Cherokee Building). The "T" intersection provides for a longer continuous sidewalk on that side of the Boulevard, which makes me wonder if it was a preferred area for viewing parades or whatever.

Meanwhile, note the apparent radio antenna mast supported by guy wires above or behind the United Airlines ticket office. The mast doesn't appear substantial enough for commercial broadcast (could be wrong here), so I wonder (a) if that's what it was, (b) what its purpose might've been and (c) if it had any relationship beyond proximity to The Thing.

For a smallish commercial building, The Virginia certainly had its share of interesting features.


What you perceived to be a steel cable inside the box may also be a shade or louver to break down a bit more of the incoming light from the opening.

Godzilla Apr 17, 2021 4:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 9249103)
:previous:

Beat me, Hoss!
(additional photos)

That was at Cherokee Ave.:

https://m.psecn.photoshelter.com/img...IwlFx.C404.jpg

https://m.psecn.photoshelter.com/img...2WNahiGKts.jpg

https://m.psecn.photoshelter.com/img...pMggkgL5us.jpg

(1937)
The Jade
The Virginia
Bradley's 5 and 10












https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...ostcount=21282




https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...&postcount=321




http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/...ostcount=40986



http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/255...rhollywoon.jpghttp://img14.imageshack.us/img14/255...rhollywoon.jpg



http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/...ostcount=40989


http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/6f77969465a286fe_largehttp://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/6f77969465a286fe_large




http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/a5c6e83b2ace924b_largehttp://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/a5c6e83b2ace924b_large








:hmmm:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/537/f6eGow.jpghttp://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/...ostcount=40986

Martin Pal Apr 17, 2021 6:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earl Boebert (Post 9251533)
I did a Newspapers.com search of the address hoping for an article. Nothing, but here's what I gleaned and deduced from the photos:

6637 Hollywood Blvd: The Jade. No advertisements or mentions. Then Sontag Drugs after 1937.

6635 Hollywood Blvd: United Air Lines/Western Air Express ticket office. No mentions after 1937.

6633 Hollywood Blvd: Stern's Fine Furs. July 1937 ad states "Moving to 6659 Hollywood Blvd" and "Building Coming Down"

6631 Hollywood Blvd: Lichter's Deli. October 1937 article says moved to 6615.

6629 1/2 Hollywood Blvd: Unmarked door, probably to apartments on second floor, consistent with Martin Pal/HossC postings.

6629 Hollywood Blvd: 1936 ad for Dudleigh's Smoke Shop, then 1938 article stating Los Angeles Music Company moving into the Sontag Building.

6627 Hollywood Blvd: Edmund F. Richardson, Optometrist mentioned in article. Then starting in 1938, ads for musical instruments bought and sold.

So this reinforces what we already knew, and the mystery object dates to before the building was convert to Sontag Drugs in the early Fall of 1937. 6637-6631 Sontag, 6629 1/2 gone, 6629-6627 Los Angeles Music Co.
Cheers,Earl
_________________________________________________________________

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earl Boebert (Post 9252026)
The little building next door to The Virginia:
1934, Peter B Maus, butcher
November 1935, The Curtain Store
July 1938 Mattson's Army Navy store and the Curtain Store
July 1944 The Italian Kitchen and The Curtain Store
The Curtain Store uniformly until January 1960 [!] and then Christian Science Reading Room.
Cheers,Earl
_________________________________________________________________


Thanks, Earl Boebert! I just wanted to make clear for those that don't know, after 1937 The Jade relocated, as NoirCityDame points out in her post that HossC re-posted recently.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noircitydame (Post 7347971)
But this building was remodeled in 1937. S. Charles Lee turned it into the streamlined Sontag that opened 12-19-1937, with the address 6637 Hollywood Blvd., seen in this great color photo from E-R's post #29450

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/540/6uP5Ct.jpg

The Jade moved up the block to 6619 Hollywood Blvd. in November 1937. Its vertical sign can be seen in the color photo, red with gold lettering. (The Curtain Store, with the "Drapes Made Free" blade sign, at 6625 were unaffected by the remodel- their sign is in both photos)
_________________________________________________________________

Someone referred to the building being demolished. Or was it just remodeled?

Noir_Noir, thanks for the 1925 photo of The Virginia Bldg. which shows that the corner location was a drug store before The Jade was there, as well as after.

Also that permit is quite interesting. I wonder if there's any more that can be gleaned about what that "steel sign" was for from the company that made it?

odinthor Apr 17, 2021 7:18 PM

I've combined two previously-posted photos of the building at Hollywood Blvd. and Cherokee Avenue for convenience:

https://i.postimg.cc/0rRkX4NF/Cher-Holl-NE.jpg

The device seems to be aimed very precisely at some point across the street, seemingly at 6636 Hollywood Blvd. In 1937, 6636 had the offices of the World Wide Wonders Motion Pictures company:

https://i.postimg.cc/bNDSCXmC/6636-H...nnual-1937.jpg
Film Daily Product Guide and Director's Annual of 1937.

Could the device be some sort of screen with an internal projector, meant to be seen from the offices of said company for some purpose (publicity? development of backing?)? Or could it be a projector meant to project something onto that building, again for the purposes of that company?

And so . . . no final answer yet; but the plot thickens with the World Wide Wonders Motion Pictures company.

Handsome Stranger Apr 17, 2021 7:29 PM

It looks like one of Martin Turnbull's followers on Twitter solved the mystery yesterday.

https://twitter.com/SF_Historian/sta...39074228297732

Martin Pal Apr 17, 2021 9:42 PM

:previous::previous:


Mystery solved? Yowsa!

The poster on MT's twitter tweeted:

SF_Historian
@SF_Historian
·
Apr 16
In 1936, Mabel Grady leased the rooftop of her building for construction of a new "motion picture billboard." Less than a year later, however, Grady sold the building to Sanford Jacobi, who demolished the building for a new Sontag drugstore.

L.A. Citizen, September 5, 1936

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzHldDfW...g&name=900x900

Hmm...a San Francisco historian found the answer!
___


Thanks for finding this Handsome Stranger!

That mystery was a long time solving!!!

Martin Pal Apr 17, 2021 9:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 9249321)
I realize there are 4 corners at the intersection of Hollywood Blvd. and Las Palmas Ave. and I am wondering where The Royal Room was located. I'd first noticed it on this record album somewhere along the way:

https://img.discogs.com/9V_YHtX2Et8V...-2142.jpeg.jpgDiscogs

Jack Teagarden and His Band Live at the Royal Room, Hollywood November 1, 1951.

In searching around online for Las Palmas Ave. recently I came across this photo:

Fire at Royal Room, Hollywood and Las Palmas, December 6, 1957. Photographer: Wesselmann.
Fireman chops up the bar in effort to extinguish flames in woodwork at Royal Room.

No other photos or information.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...e-id1047887236USC LD

Same place? That's as far as I seem to be getting.
_________________________________________________________________


Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryHuntington (Post 9249365)
Martin Pal, the 1956 L.A. City Street Directory shows the Royal Room at 6700 Hollywood Blvd., which would be the SW corner of Las Palmas Ave.
_________________________________________________________________


Thank you HenryHuntington!

Well, apparently when I wrote above that the album was the first I'd heard of the Royal Room, that wasn't the case. In December of 2017 I posted 5 Christmas themed photos. But this photo is missing on the post now:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 8028712)
We've seen a lot of similar images, but I don't recall this one before; a Getty Images photo of Hollywood Blvd. at the holidays, looking east from Las Palmas.
No date is given, but the Vogue Theatre has a banner showing The Story of Molly X playing, which premiered in November, 1949.

Notice the ladder leading up to an opening in the bottom of the [metal Christmas] tree. Could a person crawl inside them?

To the right of this tree is a blade sign for a place I don't recall before. It looks like it's the Royal Room. [...] I believe this location was later the Gold Cup.
_________________________________________________________________

I just spent over two hours looking for that photo, but cannot find it.

:???:


I did find another photo, from a block away, to the left of the Egyptian Theatre, showing the blade sign. It's dated 1951, the same year the above Jack Teagarden album was recorded live there.

https://m.psecn.photoshelter.com/img..._PpqSe1OJo.jpgLink


_________________________________________________________________

I did find that other photo on Alamy Stock photo: The banner at street level for Royal Room (blade sign right) looks like it might say Dixieland.

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/C1W9CK/usa...ght-C1W9CK.jpg

Martin Pal Apr 17, 2021 10:08 PM

P.S.: In some jazz magazine from the period that I had found references to the Royal Room, the author wrote that author "James Jones used to come in the Royal Room with Lowney Handy." Whoever that is.
______

^^^
Well, I assumed that was another guy, but I was incorrect:

In downstate Illinois throughout the 1950s, legendary novelist James Jones and his patron, mentor, and lover Lowney Handy, formed a countercultural writers’ group, known locally as The Colony. Lowney was an older, married, childless woman, whose unconditional support of ex-G.I. Jones between 1944 and 1950 allowed him to write his vast, groundbreaking novel From Here to Eternity.

A LIFE Magazine photo-essay about Jones and Lowney was featured in the May 8, 1951, issue. Lowney was described as Jones’s foster-mother, which was plausible due to her being 17 years his senior.


A photo of them is at the link I found this information: LINK

jerry1656 Apr 17, 2021 11:59 PM

The Virginia "thingy"
 
I am glad you noir folks finally solved the projection box mystery at 6637 Hollywood. Kudos, I knew you would do it!
I was a set and props man from 1988-2004, and worked in a whole lot of the places that you post and have lurked in silence here for the past many years. After installing Proton Sony Monitors in the 80's, and installing RP ( rear projection) & FP screens and working with Iwerks projection units I bet it had to be a projection device. A tilted inner screen, and, as with any one of a kind prototype installation... they had to add that extra overhead sun shield (I can see that it bows) after the construction to get the right effect.
Projecting moving or still pictures on a screen during daylight is a real tricky thing, but I was surprised that someone tried this out so early. I would bet it was not very successful during the day, and it probably did good at night. A RP screen has to have a slight matte viewing side to reduce glare, and a semi diffused rear side to reduce light "bounce back scatter" so back then I think they would have had to use glass , but they could have used stretched fabric, and deal with the wind/ repair issue later. The lack of a visible exhaust vent for the carbon arc, or super bright light source is a little puzzling though.
I spent 2004-2020 as a Construction & Design manager for one of the Hollywood restaurant groups so I can tell you the Geisha House was designed in 2004 and lasted until about 2014, and that it is not the old Virginia structure.
Additionally, the Las Palmas and Hollywood Bldg. with rooftop "widows walk" building was a 2 year office of Dodd Mitchell Design ( Hospitality) about 2008. I was there 5 or 6 times. The Atrium was not part of the offices , but private and accessed through the icky restaurant or the Las Palmas entrance. That restaurant was a greasy spoon. The Hollywood BLVD. entrance to DMD had the old ancient door, and all of the old hexagonal tiles and stairs.

Lastly, 6637 is slated to be demolished soon, it looks like its going to be a hotel. See LA Curbed , item 18.
https://la.curbed.com/maps/hollywood...s-construction

Sorry to be long winded. I hope I posted it correctly.
You folks are a great forum and resource for those of us who live and work here and all of the history that goes along with it!
JE

Martin Pal Apr 18, 2021 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry1656 (Post 9252684)
Lastly, 6637 is slated to be demolished soon, it looks like its going to be a hotel. See LA Curbed , item 18.
https://la.curbed.com/maps/hollywood...s-construction
_________________________________________________________________

Thanks, Jerry, welcome!

Looking at all those projects to be built at that link, they might as well change the name of the area to Hotelwood.

odinthor Apr 18, 2021 5:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9250603)
.
Let's take the Wayback Machine to the 1880s so we can visit the mystery location shown below.


"Cabinet Photograph of Paraffine Paint Co / P& B Roofing Warehouse Los Angeles"


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/JNbGkE.jpg
eBay


As you can see the company's offices were located downtown at 5th and Spring St. but the location of the warehouse is a mystery. Luckily we have the street number of the warehouse, 711 - 715
but the name of the street remains a mystery.

-note the palm tree and the rather tall mailbox (or is it a sign?) on the far right side - - >


.

e_r, with the listing that Noir_Noir found, stating that its location was on Lyon, "cor. Aliso," well, it was within sight of the Maier/Aliso Brewery:

https://i.postimg.cc/hvyxJTKp/Lyon-Aliso.jpg
detail 1909 birdseye map

Lyon is the diagonal street near the top, Aliso is the street running horizontally above the word "Maier." In the 1880s, the Paraffine men would have been able to see the gigantic Aliso tree in the yard of the brewery (it was gone by the time of the birdseye map). All in all, quite a good location. :tup:

ethereal_reality Apr 18, 2021 5:47 PM

:previous:

Very interesting odinthor. Thanks for 'placing' the warehouse in situ.


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/V6sXhd.jpg
detail

Someday in the future we might be able to zoom in on the men's corneas and see branches of the Aliso Tree. (how cool would that be!)





Here is an amazing photograph, which I believe is new to NLA, showing the Aliso Tree next to the old Philadelphia Brewery....

"This early Los Angeles brewery, known from 1874 to 1882 as the Philadelphia Brewery, was sited on a Tongva Indiana Village. (Yang-Na)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/922/VUy7VX.jpg
militant_angeleno


Old Sycamore - Philadelphia Brewery - later, Maier & Zobelein Brewery.

. .and look, someone rode their bicycle to work.



.

Martin Pal Apr 18, 2021 8:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger (Post 9252506)
It looks like one of Martin Turnbull's followers on Twitter solved the mystery yesterday.

https://twitter.com/SF_Historian/sta...39074228297732
_________________________________________________________________


I wrote to MT last night and asked him what prompted him to post that photo with the rooftop mystery on his twitter recently, as I believe he knows we've been looking for an answer to that for many years. He said that one of his followers had recently sent it to him wondering what it was, so he thought he'd post it on Twitter and, as we know, he got a reply!

MT wrote and thanked that person, SF Historian, and wondered how he came upon the answer and here is some of his reply:

SF Historian: [...] I am a professional historian by trade, but my focus for two decades was San Francisco. However, some of your tweets showed up in my feed one day, and I realized that Los Angeles was just as rich, historically, and so wanted to learn more. I LOVE when people have research questions, and this was a very fun ... well, how do I put this? It's like being on an Easter egg hunt, but as an adult. What's funny is that the LA Noirish website was actually the key. They posted this photo (see attached), and once I had the owner name, I could search the newspaper archives. That led me to the sale when he purchased the property, which led me to the original owner, which led me to the answer! [...]

PS: I am sure the strange angle of the projection box was what the advertising agency figured would be the least likely to result in glare, and thus make the movie images more visible.

The one post he was specifically referring to on NLA is this one, posted by Noir_Noir in August, 2018:


Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir_Noir (Post 8288851)
Here's the 1938 Charles S. Lee replacement building on the NE corner of Hollywood and Cherokee.

https://i.imgur.com/9NmhB0Z.jpg
ucla.library

[...]
_________________________________________________________________

So that info in the corner of the photo was the key, I guess! And likely another post by Lorendoc with much info, that Noir_Noir quoted in his post:
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...94#post8287994

ethereal_reality Apr 18, 2021 8:10 PM

.
Before the brewery.


I know we have visited El Aliso Tree numerous times in the past but here's an image that we might not have seen that predates the Philadelphia Brewery by four years.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/9mSiLn.jpg
musician's loft

The date is at the bottom, 1870. (I missed it at first because it's partially cropped off)

There appears to be one story buildings in the distance (there's a flue with a short column of smoke at far left)

I'm afraid the disorienting debris in the foreground is beyond figuring out. :( (at first I thought the rounded item was the remnant of an old water wheel)






The photograph is labeled 'Vignes Winery' on the musician's site

Like this.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/wZGdIB.jpg

. . .so the Philadelphia Brewery bought the land that was once the Vignes Winery.

Is that correct? :shrug:

________________________________________________________________________



UPDATE: I just found the answer.

"In 1837 Frenchman Jean-Louis Vignes opened a winery under the sycamore, building some one-story frame buildings to house his business
(and giving his name to Vignes Street). The El Aliso Winery, named for the tree, became the center of LA's Frenchtown, and shipped 150,000 bottles of wine per year.

Despite their success, the Vignes family sold out to German immigrants in 1874 who opened the Philadelphia Brewing Company on the site."


Noirishers, we have no doubt covered this earlier in the thread. Sorry for the repetition.
.

odinthor Apr 18, 2021 9:25 PM

:previous:

e_r, the rough outlines of the property's ownership, at least in the Yankee era, according to my notes, seem to be:

Jean Louis Vignes, who came to LA in 1829? 1831? (veracious sources differ), from Bordeaux France, had his big vineyard in that section and indeed his residence was in the proximity of the old Aliso, William Heath Davis (a sea captain of the time) says that he was often known as "Don Luis del Aliso."

In 1855, his nephew Jean-Louis Sainsevain (often seen with an "e" ending his surname) bought the property, but it seems that Vignes, nevertheless stayed on residing there, perhaps ill (he died in L.A. in 1862 "after a long illness").

Sainsevain is not in the L.A. census of 1870, and presumably by that time had moved to Cucamonga, where he also had a vineyard; and perhaps had sold the vineyard/Aliso property by that time; but perhaps the property was owned by him but idle until:

In 1873, “Wattelet & Vogel are the proprietors of the new Philadelphia Brewery” (LA Herald, 11/12/1873). And so in mid-November, 1873, the Philadelphia Brewery was new.

And here is my contribution to images of the old Aliso. I picked up this image, on which are markings indicating preparation for publication seemingly in a newspaper, on eBay. The seller didn't realize its significance.

:cheers:

https://i.postimg.cc/CKKgYSkg/AlisoTree2.jpg
odinthor collection

mrfredmertz Apr 18, 2021 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Charles (Post 8288575)
Wow, really good eye, Tourmaline!

For the record, I think that's a really beautiful storefront on Lane's. I positively love it! The building is still there, but really has no indication of its former glory.

I find the building quite similar to the former Darkroom, also on Wilshire.

https://i.imgur.com/W7nYH3h.png


Thank you for that link, GaylordWilshire! I have always LOVED the look of the buildings above, but until reading your post I never knew that the black material was known as Vitrolite. Thanks! Yours is the only post in this entire thread to mention the stuff.

I grew up not far from the Dutton's Books in Burbank (Google street view), and I always loved the look of the stuff. A notable example of Vitrolite is 1932's Daily Express Building, in London.

One of the most spine-tingling events of my life was visiting The Daily Mail Building in London (matched, perhaps by the original BBC Broadcasting House.) Art deco in all it's glory and amazing that it survived The Blitz of 1940-41. If you ever go to London, you have to see both buildings.

ethereal_reality Apr 19, 2021 1:16 AM

.
Congratulations everyone on working together & solving the roof-top mystery thingy! It had been an enigma for such a long time I began to doubt we'd ever know the answer.

Oh, and thanks to that feller up in San Francisco. :worship:

.

Handsome Stranger Apr 19, 2021 4:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 9253108)

SF Historian: [...] I am a professional historian by trade, but my focus for two decades was San Francisco. However, some of your tweets showed up in my feed one day, and I realized that Los Angeles was just as rich, historically, and so wanted to learn more. I LOVE when people have research questions, and this was a very fun ... well, how do I put this? It's like being on an Easter egg hunt, but as an adult. What's funny is that the LA Noirish website was actually the key. They posted this photo (see attached), and once I had the owner name, I could search the newspaper archives. That led me to the sale when he purchased the property, which led me to the original owner, which led me to the answer!

There's no two ways about it, historians are the cat's pajamas.

ethereal_reality Apr 19, 2021 4:50 PM

.

mystery negative



"LOS ANGELES 40's 50's FOUND NEGATIVE 3" x 4" Vintage bw Photo DOWNTOWN"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/3Eb2n2.png
eBay

It appears to show a line of people people waiting for a streetcar. Oddly, they appear to be standing in a hole because of the mound of earth in the foreground.

Where is this?



I don't have the app to convert a negative to positive. sorry
.


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.