SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   CHICAGO | 400 N Lake Shore Drive | 851 FT & 765 FT | 73 & ? FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219306)

Zapatan Feb 18, 2016 7:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomarandlee (Post 7340485)
Is the location that obvious for a masterpiece though? I was always skepitcial how much it really is. It isn't thst close to the Mag Mile or RN where much of the great shopping/dining is. You aren't that close to the cultural attraction s of the Loop or your office of you are a professional. You aren't even getting the best views of the River corridor IMO which run from Michigan to Lake.

Yea, you get great lake views and are close to the lake front path but that isn't that unique.

For those out on their boats on the lake or driving down LSD yea this is a prime spot but I can think of a handful of others I would think of as more attractive as a potential resident.

I was referring more to it's impact on the skyline and how it would fit in proportionally but yes you are correct about the other stuff.

Kumdogmillionaire Feb 18, 2016 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc5680 (Post 7339073)
What about it's current condition is any different than if there was a building resting on it?

You have made more than a few contradictory statements in several Chicago threads now. Please enlighten us with the facts and knowledge you are using to arrive to your conclusions.

Hmmmm, I was just wondering outloud. No need to be a douchebag to me. If you know better than I then tell me why the foundation is safe and then we'll all be better for it. Acting like a know-it-all is just off putting.

Kumdogmillionaire Feb 18, 2016 7:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 7339763)
The foundation work is all well below the frost line, the very top of the 70-80' wall being the only exception - and it was designed for that.

The crumbly stuff you see in this shot from last year is the gravel that is poured on top of the caissons (or wall here) to protect the re-bar that is protuding out many feet, but still does not reach ground level..

Thanks for the response, only person who wasn't a jerk to me when I asked about the safety of the site. A relief to see, hopefully this means they build something big!

The Lurker Feb 19, 2016 4:34 PM

Kdm, sometimes its better to wonder quietly. In most cases your question will eventually be answered in a way that doesn't "put one on blast" for being less informed. These guys can get pretty passionate but they know their stuff. You'll learn a lot from the sidelines trust me. It's not worth getting all butt-hurt about cybersarcasm.

maru2501 Mar 22, 2016 3:04 PM

Kamin tweeting about activity this morning at Spire site

has photo of earth mover on site

maru2501 Mar 22, 2016 3:07 PM

possible answer. don't know this site

New Construction Chi ‏@chicranetracker 19m19 minutes ago
@BlairKamin They are removing the fence on the West side of the property and doing some landscaping. Nothing serious...

JK47 Mar 22, 2016 3:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maru2501 (Post 7379479)
possible answer. don't know this site

New Construction Chi ‏@chicranetracker 19m19 minutes ago
@BlairKamin They are removing the fence on the West side of the property and doing some landscaping. Nothing serious...

Yeah that's what it looked like to me. A lot of new top soil being spread around by the earthmover while worker(s) are removing various bits of construction debris.

Zapatan Mar 22, 2016 5:56 PM

Maybe they'll start removing the Spire foundation to make way for the new one?

maru2501 Mar 22, 2016 6:04 PM

After 2,000-foot dream dashed, Chicago Spire's remains to be hidden behind dirt mound

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...322-story.html

Zapatan Mar 22, 2016 7:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maru2501 (Post 7379771)
After 2,000-foot dream dashed, Chicago Spire's remains to be hidden behind dirt mound

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...322-story.html

Are they tearing up the foundation or just hiding it? The article didn't really say.

If they're hiding it that's probably bad considering it means nothing will be built on the site for a while.

harryc Mar 22, 2016 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 7379850)
Are they tearing up the foundation or just hiding it? The article didn't really say.

If they're hiding it that's probably bad considering it means nothing will be built on the site for a while.

Just hiding it - even if the foundation is not re-purposed (can't see why it wouldn't be) new work would just go in next to it, tearing out rock socketed caissons would be costly - Related is not known for costly.

Zapatan Mar 22, 2016 7:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 7379884)
Just hiding it - even if the foundation is not re-purposed (can't see why it wouldn't be) new work would just go in next to it, tearing out rock socketed caissons would be costly - Related is not known for costly.

I guess if the site is big enough they could just build next to it, this tower will be pretty narrow in footprint then.

Not trying to be a downer but for the time being I'm not going to get my hopes up for this site, I'm much more excited about Vista since we know that will be a supertall and look good.

maru2501 Mar 22, 2016 7:32 PM

plus the spire wouldn't have had an observation deck

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

had to have that on this thread one more time. maybe the dirt mound will have one

Zapatan Mar 22, 2016 7:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maru2501 (Post 7379905)
plus the spire wouldn't have had an observation deck

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

had to have that on this thread one more time. maybe the dirt mound will have one

So? It would have been a 2000 foot, awesome looking monster. Related would have to build something in the 400m range at least to make up for that loss. At least for me.

maru2501 Mar 22, 2016 8:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 7379918)
So? It would have been a 2000 foot, awesome looking monster. Related would have to build something in the 400m range at least to make up for that loss. At least for me.

forum joke

Zapatan Mar 22, 2016 8:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maru2501 (Post 7379973)
forum joke

Ah okay.. must have missed that one

BVictor1 Mar 23, 2016 2:18 AM

It's fun watching people go wacky over a piece of equipment.

Zapatan Mar 23, 2016 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 7380412)
It's fun watching people go wacky over a piece of equipment.

I mean, compared to the action that has been on the site over the past near decade it is kind of exciting. :cheers:

chris08876 Mar 24, 2016 7:13 PM

Shit I just realized news of the whole being covered up was posted. :facepalm:

I really hope something comes out of this site.

rlw777 Mar 24, 2016 8:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 7382609)
Shit I just realized news of the whole being covered up was posted. :facepalm:

I really hope something comes out of this site.

No worries I am guessing this is simply about hiding a blemish from potential One Bennett Park condo owners.

go go white sox Mar 24, 2016 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlw777 (Post 7382714)
No worries I am guessing this is simply about hiding a blemish from potential One Bennett Park condo owners.

I didn't even think of that but that makes sense could very well be the case

Zapatan Mar 24, 2016 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go go white sox (Post 7382935)
I didn't even think of that but that makes sense could very well be the case

I hope so, I was afraid it meant they were going to turn it into a park or something lame... I mean as great as parks are and all. :uhh:

Zapatan Mar 25, 2016 12:34 AM

Upon looking at pictures of the site again it doesn't seem like there would be room for such if they were to build elsewhere other than the current foundation (which if buried probably wouldn't be able to be built over for obvious reasons). I hope this is just temporary, it could be a metaphorical burying of any possibility of something rising here.

rlw777 Mar 25, 2016 1:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 7383028)
Upon looking at pictures of the site again it doesn't seem like there would be room for such if they were to build elsewhere other than the current foundation (which if buried probably wouldn't be able to be built over for obvious reasons). I hope this is just temporary, it could be a metaphorical burying of any possibility of something rising here.

I am fairly certain Related is simply making it a little bit prettier for potential buyers over at their other property One Bennett Park. Developers don't generally engage in beautification efforts without a profit motivation. Also it doesn't hurt them politically the neighbors to the site might be more inclined to support any new proposal just based on the fact the Related did something to hide the spire hole. Also someone else probably knows better than I do but there could be a condition of site improvements within a certain time period to retain development rights here.

Ryanrule Mar 25, 2016 2:03 AM

In the news.

http://gizmodo.com/landscaping-will-...hic-1766961861

braun06 Mar 25, 2016 2:28 PM

Its strange that so much can be said for dirt. It is the one material that can be bought and resold if needed. Consider this earthwork as contractor grade window coverings in a new house. There is no news here to be worked up about. When they do develop the site they may reuse the soil to raise site grade, provide a cap over environmental issues or just sell it etc. It's an asset that won't lose value. The plants are most likely cheap filler. There is no news here, just someone being a responsible neighbor for a change.

Kumdogmillionaire Mar 25, 2016 8:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braun06 (Post 7383420)
Its strange that so much can be said for dirt. It is the one material that can be bought and resold if needed. Consider this earthwork as contractor grade window coverings in a new house. There is no news here to be worked up about. When they do develop the site they may reuse the soil to raise site grade, provide a cap over environmental issues or just sell it etc. It's an asset that won't lose value. The plants are most likely cheap filler. There is no news here, just someone being a responsible neighbor for a change.

So much this. This is barely going to cost them any money to do and scores them brownie points with the neighbors. Win win situation. I fail to see why some are looking at this as some sign that the lot will remain empty for many years to come.

ardecila Mar 25, 2016 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlw777 (Post 7383088)
I am fairly certain Related is simply making it a little bit prettier for potential buyers over at their other property One Bennett Park.

This has nothing to do with One Bennett Park. It really only benefits the townhouses that have stared out at a vacant lot for years.

I'm sure someone at some level exerted pressure on Related to do this. Either SOAR or Ald. Reilly.

Related has an incentive to keep people happy, they want to get approval for whatever they decide to build eventually. The market still isn't quite there for condos yet where you'd have a significant number of buyers in the 0.1%.

Zapatan Mar 28, 2016 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 7383888)
This has nothing to do with One Bennett Park. It really only benefits the townhouses that have stared out at a vacant lot for years.

I'm sure someone at some level exerted pressure on Related to do this. Either SOAR or Ald. Reilly.

Related has an incentive to keep people happy, they want to get approval for whatever they decide to build eventually. The market still isn't quite there for condos yet where you'd have a significant number of buyers in the 0.1%.

I suppose the land is too valuable for the park to be permanent. When the Chicago boom picks up hopefully Related reconsiders and what they put there is worth the amazing lot.

Chi-Sky21 Mar 28, 2016 2:20 AM

They need to get Related to do the Spires contribution to DuSable Park. With the Flyover finishing I would think this should be priority.

Reinsdorf Sucks Apr 6, 2016 4:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinsdorf Sucks (Post 7337188)
There will be a competition with proposals from multiple firms.

Proposals should be submitted this month. :cheers:

Steely Dan Apr 6, 2016 4:47 PM

^ tantalizing.

ithakas Apr 6, 2016 4:54 PM

Excellent! I wonder how Related will time this project, and if we'll find out their plans for the site this summer. My only concern is that they won't want the Spire site proposal to overshadow their Bennett Park project, though it seems like they'll serve folks with very different tastes either way.

harryc Apr 6, 2016 5:38 PM

3/29/2016

BuildThemTaller Apr 6, 2016 5:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinsdorf Sucks (Post 7397193)
Proposals should be submitted this month. :cheers:

My assumption this whole time has been that Related Midwest is doing the landscaping to prepare for some sort of event. I remember reading a while ago that proposals from architects would be due by April. I couldn't find the link or quote and didn't want to post without it. Anyway, that's my thought. This recent activity is about preparing for some event or revealing the potential designs.

lu9 Apr 6, 2016 6:03 PM

Such an awesome/tantalizing/valuable/sexy piece of earth right there.

Hope the RFP is sent out to all the top dogs. This site is worthy of a Chicago icon if there ever was one.

munchymunch Apr 6, 2016 6:34 PM

If zaha hadid architects applied they probably will win.

LouisVanDerWright Apr 6, 2016 9:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by munchymunch (Post 7397405)
If zaha hadid architects applied they probably will win.

Not if Frank Lloyd Wright and Mies Van Der Rohe apply as well!

BVictor1 Apr 7, 2016 2:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 7397779)
Not if Frank Lloyd Wright and Mies Van Der Rohe apply as well!

You see what you did there...:tup:

Notyrview Apr 7, 2016 11:13 AM

bkl should design this tower

Steely Dan Apr 9, 2016 12:24 PM

I moved all of the MB skyneedle posts to the MB skyneedle thread:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=149188

Steely Dan Apr 10, 2016 7:42 PM

Thread will reopen if/when there's actual news.

r18tdi Jun 3, 2016 5:11 PM

http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/6/3/1...-gateway-tower

:eek:

Via Chicago Jun 3, 2016 5:15 PM

key word: conceptual

UPChicago Jun 3, 2016 5:46 PM

....... looks like its on crutches, eliminate that and its solid..

Notyrview Jun 3, 2016 6:25 PM

If only we had some fairy dust, a big ass bag of it.

jpIllInoIs Jun 3, 2016 6:32 PM

FOTP (PIT) have already filed the lawsuit!!:hell:

maru2501 Jun 3, 2016 6:55 PM

pave dusable park and make it a parking lot to appease them

r18tdi Jun 3, 2016 7:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs (Post 7462371)
FOTP (PIT) have already filed the lawsuit!!:hell:

Friends of the Pit! Love it :notacrook:

XIII Jun 3, 2016 8:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 7462423)
Friends of the Pit! Love it :notacrook:

Monty Ward used to look out of his office and admire that pit: "forever free, open and clear". We need to uphold his vision for a pitted Chicago and preserve our sacred urban blights before they are all stolen from the people by private interests.