SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Pedestrian Mar 20, 2020 9:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austlar1 (Post 8868693)
I see many homeless people (some with their dogs) all over town. They really stand out now that the streets are so empty of traffic. It's heartbreaking to know that some of them are likely to get sick and possibly die out of view in camp sites buried deep in the woods and vacant lots. The homeless and the undocumented are going to be hit very hard. A couple (Hispanic, probably Central American) came to my door yesterday begging for any kind of work. The man stood back looking very sheepish but eager while the woman struggled in very poor English trying to convince me that I should let her husband trim my trees. My trees were recently trimmed. I had no work for them and did not even have cash on hand to give a hand out. The woman looked so desperate and frightened. It broke my heart. What will happen to people like that when everything that sustains them shuts down? Will they even be able to get medical help?

Domino's is hiring 10,000 people to deliver pizzas. Other delivery services are booming too. These ARE good times for a few but you might direct them there if any more come around.

Meanwhile, as above, I assume the only ones still on the street in SF are there by choice, and it WILL be the choice of some, maybe quite a few. They have refused to get involved with the "services" targetted at them for years.

Buckeye Native 001 Mar 20, 2020 9:48 PM

I have the email buried somewhere deep in my inbox but Albertsons/Safeway is hiring about 1,000 people in Flagstaff to help clean/disinfect stores and restock shelves as shipments arrive.

Obadno Mar 20, 2020 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8868506)
a "shelter in place" order doesn't mean the authorities will shoot you dead if you set foot outside of your home, it just means to suspend all non-essential business.

going to the grocery store is essential business

going to the pharmacy is essential business

even going for a walk, run, or bike ride for some fresh air is ok, provided you keep yourself a safe distance from others.

going to a birthday party at your friend's house is NOT essential business and is EXACTLY the kind of social behavior that a shelter in place order is intended to prohibit.

I understand the rules but if you think this will be effectively enforced you are insane.

Unlike Europe they cannot legally stop you from breaking this lock-down unless you are actually diagnosed and forced into quarantine.

I will break the lock-down and I will lie to police if they ask me where I am going and I dont care what anyone has to think about that.

10023 Mar 20, 2020 10:31 PM

My good friend and his fiancée just cancelled their wedding in June. Must be happening millions of times over.

sopas ej Mar 20, 2020 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8868775)
I understand the rules but if you think this will be effectively enforced you are insane.

Unlike Europe they cannot legally stop you from breaking this lock-down unless you are actually diagnosed and forced into quarantine.

I will break the lock-down and I will lie to police if they ask me where I am going and I dont care what anyone has to think about that.

And where would you be going apart from getting groceries, buying gas, buying hooch (I found out that the Total Wine & Spirits in Pasadena is open until 9pm, so I'll be buying some mead on my way home from trabajo), going to the bank, picking up takeout, etc., that would make a cop suspicious? You *are* aware that you can still do those things, right?

subterranean Mar 20, 2020 10:41 PM

Quote:

A-muthafukkin-men.

Steely Dan Mar 20, 2020 10:42 PM

Quote:

but with everything other than grocery stores and pharmacies closed, where exactly are you gonna go?

if you just wanna aimlessly walk around the deserted city, that's still allowed under a "stay at home" order anyway, no rule-breaking required.

homebucket Mar 20, 2020 10:45 PM

We should keep a small portion of each city as a "quarantine free" zone. That way folks can roam around, party, and Spring Break bro! as they please. However, the agreement should be if they get infected with COVID-19, they don't get treated.

10023 Mar 20, 2020 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8868791)
but with everything other than grocery stores and pharmacies closed, where exactly are you gonna go?

if you just wanna aimlessly walk around the deserted city, that's still allowed under a "stay at home" order anyway, no rule-breaking required.

With gyms closed, I plan to go for a run in the park every day. I’m not getting out of shape as a result of this.

montréaliste Mar 20, 2020 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subterranean (Post 8868790)
A-muthafukkin-men.

Lotta spongebob rambos out there.

homebucket Mar 20, 2020 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8868798)
With gyms closed, I plan to go for a run in the park every day. I’m not getting out of shape as a result of this.

I don't think anyone has a problem with that, or hiking for example. Unless you're running or hiking in a large pack.

Steely Dan Mar 20, 2020 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8868798)

and under the "stay at home" edict that illinois' governor just ordered, that will still be allowed, provided that you don't get too close to others.

i myself am planning to take a long bike ride up the north shore channel trail tomorrow morning.

TWAK Mar 20, 2020 10:53 PM

The lockdown is similar to the power outages and since I live in a rural area it's not that much of a difference. The essential places had generators already and more stores purchased them by round 2.

chris08876 Mar 20, 2020 10:58 PM

Anybody drinking from home while working from home?

A shot of whiskey to wind the work day down?

Steely Dan Mar 20, 2020 11:02 PM

the Chicago song "only the beginning" just came on the radio.

it's never sounded so ominous. :(

i thought it was a love song, but now i'm spooked.

EDIT:

followed up with donald fagen's "snowbound (let's sleep in today)".

it's like pandora is intentionally fucking with my mind.

homebucket Mar 20, 2020 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8868802)
and under the "stay at home" edict that illinois' governor just ordered, that will still be allowed, provided that you don't get too close to others.

i myself am planning to take a long bike ride up the north shore channel trail tomorrow morning.

Individual sports are okay. Team sports are a no-no, especially contact ones, as evidenced by several NBA players infecting each other.

Buckeye Native 001 Mar 20, 2020 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8868808)

My case notes are becoming incomprehensible as a result.

Buckeye Native 001 Mar 20, 2020 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8868815)

i'm spooked.

I had Vera Lang's "We'll Meet Again" stuck in my head as I was making the rounds in the office yesterday saying goodbye to coworkers

subterranean Mar 20, 2020 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8868808)

*slowly raises hand*

montréaliste Mar 20, 2020 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8868815)

i thought it was a love song, but now i'm spooked.

EDIT:

followed up with donald fagen's "snowbound (let's sleep in today)".

it's like pandora is intentionally fucking with my mind.

You just had to sneak in Donald Fagen in there somewhere didn't you, Steely Dan?

Yeah, a lot of stuff out there looks ominous.