SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

azsunsurfer Mar 23, 2015 9:32 PM

I had been demanding that this forum emulate those of skyscrapercity. Project updates, announcements, pictures and that's it. I guess my request fell on death ears. At least we enjoy the commentary from those who no longer live in Phoenix (the irony).

phoenixheadphones Mar 23, 2015 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 6961844)
I had been demanding that this forum emulate those of skyscrapercity. Project updates, announcements, pictures and that's it. I guess my request fell on death ears. At least we enjoy the commentary from those who no longer live in Phoenix (the irony).

I totally agree- I'm going to try and be more active in posting projects, ect, and hopefully we can change the tone a bit. I'm all for a bit of commentary when a project is discussed, but save the rest of this for the General Phoenix thread, or somewhere else entirely.

TakeFive Mar 23, 2015 10:41 PM

Blogs are interesting creatures.

From time to time I've observed the "viewing" activity on the US Sub-Forums as they show that count in real time. The Pacific West and Mountain West are usually the busiest although Texas & Southcentral isn't far behind.

Considering the population and cities covered by the Pacific West that's no surprise. The Mountain West is primarily Denver whose main blog is now on thread #6 and Salt Lake City whose main blog is on thread #4. I shouldn't overlook Boise. On the Denver thread there's the typical "core group" (not a member) who have carried the blog for many years. A Seattle blogger often stops by as do SLC guys. It's not unusual to have strangers stop by.

Each blog is different and will morph over time. SBNation NBA blogs often get many Euro bloggers, some Asian, which adds interesting flavor. Spent copious time for awhile on an investment blog with over a million members with bloggers from all over the world.

For my part I'm a visitor here (even if a resident) and it would be rare when I would have 8 comments on one page. I apologize to anyone I bored or upset.

HooverDam Mar 23, 2015 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 6961844)

1. def ears
2. notice how Skyscrapercity's Phoenix section is dead? There's a reason. There has never been, and in the near future never will be, enough highrise construction in metro Phoenix to A. limit discussion so strictly while B. maintaining an active forum.

Put people on ignore if you don't like what they post.

rocksteady Mar 23, 2015 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 6961982)
1. def ears
2. notice how Skyscrapercity's Phoenix section is dead? There's a reason. There has never been, and in the near future never will be, enough highrise construction in metro Phoenix to A. limit discussion so strictly while B. maintaining an active forum.

Put people on ignore if you don't like what they post.

Discussion about development is open and welcome here….but when it goes on for pages and pages and is mostly about pointing out what the other person said, or was implying, or what fact they got wrong then it’s no longer a relevant discussion that serves everyone.

combusean Mar 23, 2015 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakeFive (Post 6961056)
Thanks, that's easy enough to understand.

Jjs5650...
I knew that the plans were to preserve two of the buildings, the buildings that you mentioned. If the three other buildings, The Pioneer Fruit Company and the buildings at 301 and 305 East Buchanan are to be demolished then why did combusean link to ROPE's for the three buildings? Why seek historical designation for buildings that will be torn down? :shrug:

I didn't link to ROPEs for three buildings, I linked to the specific ROPE for the building in question that will be razed for surface parking, the Pioneer Fruit Company Warehouse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsunsurfer

Like anyone has any more right to post here more than anyone else. I don't know about anyone else who's moved on, but if Phoenix had jobs in my field, I'd probably still be there after living downtown six years and in the metro for twenty-six years. A significant chunk of the types of my coworkers today absolutely prefer thriving urban environments, so maybe, just maybe if Phoenix had a thriving urban environment itself it'd do better at attracting startups and qualified employees, so yeah, I'm curious to see if Phoenix will ever get the same. Many people who have had cared deeply about Phoenix had to leave because after a while, it gets too painful waiting for something that just won't arrive on a decent timetable. By that metric, I'd say Jjs cares more about the health of downtown Phoenix than just about anyone here by the nature of his posts, but that's just my impression.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixheadphones
I totally agree- I'm going to try and be more active in posting projects, ect, and hopefully we can change the tone a bit. I'm all for a bit of commentary when a project is discussed, but save the rest of this for the General Phoenix thread, or somewhere else entirely.

If I moderate too much, people complain about a heavy hand. If I don't moderate, as I've defaulted to other than sorting out wildly off topic or incendiary posts, people complain about there not being enough moderation.

The projects in Phoenix have *always* been contentious. Some people don't give a crap about an old "ugly" building, others are emphatic about its preservation. Phoenix is unique like that as this city has such few old bones, so replacement projects are going to raise a few more eyebrows, especially when they go to crap like surface parking and 5-story pedestrian dead-zones.

In a city like SF (or any place where they really are building skyscrapers) nobody really cares about razing a building from the 1920s as they're outmoded, not that comparatively old, are possibly unsafe, and the city itself is suffering from a massive housing and office shortage, therefore a decently sized redevelopment is a welcome reproach by many urbanists.

By in large part, I have not seen that bigger and better here, just a decade of a lot of crap that's built to be sold or is otherwise lowest common denominator garbage, if it gets built at all--with few exceptions.

azsunsurfer Mar 24, 2015 12:25 AM

Combusean, sorry that comment was not directed towards you!

Hoover, thanks ;)

TakeFive, you have contributed more in the past week than many have for a while. I would just advise we should keep the excessive commentary to the confines of the General Board.

The Skycrapercity page does not only talk about "skyscrapers" it's about development in general. Again I was making a point about how clutter free that forum is.

PHX31 Mar 24, 2015 5:21 AM

I'll never understand why people bitch about discussion of a city on a city discussion forum. Like it was said earlier, there's not enough happening to strictly limit what is posted on these threads to only development news.

It's the easiest thing in the world to skip right over something you dont feel like reading, much easier than bitching about it.

Put people on ignore if you want.

If moderation is heavy handed and there isn't the discussion that is had on these threads, you'd probably see day after day of nothingness. I enjoy what is said and like seeing new posts, regardless of what is said. Maybe some of you only check the forum periodically rather than multiple times daily so it's harder for you to catch up to what is going on and thus your frustration (?).

TakeFive Mar 24, 2015 5:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 6961989)
I didn't link to ROPEs for three buildings, I linked to the specific ROPE for the building in question that will be razed for surface parking, the Pioneer Fruit Company Warehouse.

Just to pick a nit... (Can't get HooverDam's expression out of my brain)
You linked to a pdf. The pdf related to the Ballpark site and had 3 files. The 1st file was about the Pioneer Fruit Company; Files 2 & 3 were about the properties on Buchanan St. :)

Quote:

By that metric, I'd say Jjs cares more about the health of downtown Phoenix than just about anyone here by the nature of his posts, but that's just my impression.
I'd agree; I very much enjoy reading his posts and am amazed at his sense of good urban form and development.

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 6962092)
Hoover, thanks ;)

TakeFive, you have contributed more in the past week than many have for a while. I would just advise we should keep the excessive commentary to the confines of the General Board.

The Skycrapercity page does not only talk about "skyscrapers" it's about development in general. Again I was making a point about how clutter free that forum is.

Thanks for the kind words and I think your advice was worth hearing. :tup:

TakeFive Mar 24, 2015 6:11 AM

Since there's been recent discussion about parking; how much is needed etc. I happened upon an interesting article on Yahoo!
by AP writer SCOTT McFETRIDGEAP HERE: (ht to ULI.org)

"Once ubiquitous, parking garages fall to the wrecking ball"
Quote:

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — They were supposed to be saviors of downtown, drawing people by offering parking as plentiful as at any suburban shopping mall.

But decades after cities tore down buildings and replaced them with parking structures, communities across the country are demolishing the garages and putting up buildings again, confident that more people will be drawn to lively offices, hotels and housing.

...Or as Murphy put it, "What were designers drinking or smoking in the 1960s? In Des Moines, Kristin Preston... said she's ready for the change, saying the garages "take the feel of downtown away."

Ryan Ellsworth, an architect who works in downtown Des Moines, agreed. "They're ugly. There's no better way to put it," he said. "I'm not sad to see them go."
It's an interesting read. I would note that the article refers to general purpose parking garages.

downtownphxguy12 Mar 24, 2015 2:20 PM

the scientology building is down!! Yea!

Jackdavis4 Mar 24, 2015 2:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 (Post 6962545)

BOOM :cheers:

HooverDam Mar 24, 2015 3:54 PM

Quote:

if only the same were true of the religion :P

exit2lef Mar 24, 2015 4:04 PM

Quote:

Yes, indeed. I passed by on my way to work around 8:30 this morning. It's all a big pile of rubble.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-F...2/IMG_2431.JPG

Spitfiredude Mar 24, 2015 4:45 PM

Sorry, but what is the significance of the Scientology building being demolished. Where is this located? Maybe I missed this discussion.

Any news on Luhr's hotel? Wasn't that suppose to break ground last year?

It seems high end development in office, hospitality, and entertainment is focused in the East Valley including the Price Corridor, Tempe, and Scottsdale. The struggle in Phoenix is unfortunate, but it is what it is. There are a couple of quality housing developments at least.

PHX31 Mar 24, 2015 5:00 PM

/\It was an 80s eyesore building along Roosevelt Row. People have been wanting for years for the building and their previous tenants to be gone from the area and have some new/good development be constructed in it's place. Fortunately, that is happening now. Unfortunately, it also meant the old GreenHaus building was demolished for the same project.

There's no hospitality, retail, housing, and entertainment being built in Phoenix? What do you mean? Am I missing something? You're right though, there's not much office being built (certainly not on the scale of State Farm in Tempe).

exit2lef Mar 24, 2015 5:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfiredude (Post 6962725)
Sorry, but what is the significance of the Scientology building being demolished. Where is this located? Maybe I missed this discussion.

It was an ugly office building -- sort of stucco meets brutalism. I'm sure plenty of people also think of it as a building full of bad juju due to controversies surrounding the Church of Scientology. It has been demolished to make way for a new apartment building on the northwest corner of 3rd St. & Roosevelt.

somethingfast Mar 24, 2015 5:43 PM

Quote:

Somewhere in LA John Travolta and Tom Cruise can sense an imbalance in the Dianetic field... :(

gymratmanaz Mar 24, 2015 7:49 PM

Somethingfast..... Were Tom and John together at that moment?

PHXFlyer11 Mar 24, 2015 7:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfiredude (Post 6962725)
Any news on Luhr's hotel? Wasn't that suppose to break ground last year?

It depends on how you define "break ground." There is a giant hole in the ground and underground work continues. It has not yet gone vertical, but it is under construction and past the point of no return.