SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Obadno Dec 12, 2018 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DowntownCosmo (Post 8406537)
I found project plans for the Ro2 development. The plan includes two high rise office buildings. It also looks like the creative tower is still in play. They just moved to between 1st and 2nd street. The Ro2 certainly looks like an awesome development though.

https://a.storyblok.com/f/43638/x/22...st-ro2-opt.pdf

Holy shit who is behind this? This is by far the msot ambitious project proposed since Cityscape.

azsunsurfer Dec 12, 2018 10:03 PM

4 lanes or no Arena! Minority voices true in the fact that there isn't enough of the electorate in Phoenix who can oust the trash that is villa...firefigher guy (I mean that in a political sense, not for his bravery) and Gallegos.

CrestedSaguaro Dec 12, 2018 10:04 PM

Well this answers my question about the Pemberton House. I didn't know True North was involved with that. Also, True North is behind the Cambria. So this could be very possible. The office tower portion is showing on the website. I'm guessing this would be a very phased development. But it would hit the mark if they can pull this all off.

Obadno Dec 12, 2018 10:12 PM

Actually this is very interesting its spread out all over Roosevelt Row, And 903 nth 2nd has a redevelopment plan. Didnt It get a Demo permit some time back?

CrestedSaguaro Dec 12, 2018 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8406621)
Actually this is very interesting its spread out all over Roosevelt Row, And 903 nth 2nd has a redevelopment plan. Didnt It get a Demo permit some time back?

Nothing ever happened after the demo permit posting. Of course I've seen demo's completed a full year after the permit (i.e. the cat house on Willa). So, it may be a while on that.

Going back to the RO2 development, the taller tower looks like it's around 27 floors. That's going to be way over the 250' limit the city has set for this area. So there may be some pushback on the height.

combusean Dec 13, 2018 1:15 AM

That ever-annoying glass box on 1001 N Central is going to have to be repositioned as it's losing its anchor tenant to the space that will be freed up when the County Attorney's office relocates to 225 W Madison.

In any event, I really, really hope that circle mess is not its final design. Fun fact: it was originally built as a modernist condotel in the 1960s before its hideous 1988 renovation.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/edge_a...ear/5762950238

fawd Dec 13, 2018 3:46 AM

I’m done with Robert Starver. Truly the worst owner in the NBA.

phoenixwillrise Dec 13, 2018 5:34 AM

Sarver is a absolute joke of a sports team owner

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawd (Post 8406978)
I’m done with Robert Starver. Truly the worst owner in the NBA.

Concur,
From day one he has been a joke. With the foam finger thing he use to hold up when he first took over, (total bush league), to having that long time security guard removed who was only doing his job and not letting Sarver's kids sit under one of the baskets, per NBA Rules. Then having two MLB baseball players removed from a game because they were making fun of him. And least we forget the screwing up his very first deal in the Joe Johnson free agency deal by low balling him and costing the Sun's a title. Typical rich guy who has no clue about sports and never played a sport. Why doesn't he just sell the team take his profit and go back to Tucson.

Obadno Dec 13, 2018 3:42 PM

See, just the suns trying to throw their weight around, PBJ this morning:

Suns CEO: Team never threatened to leave Phoenix

Quote:

Contradicting media reports, Phoenix Suns President and CEO Jason Rowley strongly denied that the team has threatened to move to another city if the Phoenix City Council did not approve a $230 million deal to renovate 26-year-old Talking Stick Resort Arena.

“The reality is that we have made zero threats about going to any other city,” Rowley said. “That is not coming from us. We are not making those threats. We are focused on this town.”

On Wednesday afternoon Council decided to delay the vote until Jan. 23 on the proposal that would have the city spend $150 million on the renovations.

Before the council meeting, the Arizona Republic reported, and then a number of national outlets shared, that a Phoenix councilmember said that Suns owner Robert Sarver threatened to move the team to Las Vegas or Seattle if the proposal was not approved.

During Wednesday’s Council meeting Phoenix Mayor Thelda Williams said Sarver was a tough negotiator, but no one on Council said publicly there had been talks of the team leaving the city or the state.

Rowley said that even if the Suns don’t bring it up, it is known that other cities could be interested in having an NBA team.
“Is it a well-known fact that the city of Seattle is putting $700 million into Key Arena? It is a well-known fact,” Rowley said. "Is it a well-known fact that Las Vegas is actively trying to attract a Major League Baseball team; they’re actively trying to attract an NBA team? No question about it.”

While Rowley denied trying to use that as leverage, he acknowledged that there could always be a possibility of moving the team to another city that would help with building an arena.

“Our commitment is 100 percent is to stay in downtown Phoenix,” Rowley said. “But the reality of the sports environment is that if we can’t come to any kind of agreement, we don’t know what the future will hold.”

But when he was pushed on whether or not the team has talked with officials from Las Vegas or Seattle, Rowley said, “We are focusing on this town right now.” He would not confirm nor deny that team owners or leaders discussed relocation with other cities.

Rowley said he was optimistic that the deal, which would require the Suns to pitch in $80 million to update the arena and build a new practice facility within Phoenix city limits, would be approved in January and that it really is the best deal for the city and particularly downtown Phoenix.

“What do you want in this community? Do you want a city that is world class and has world-class amenities and is competitive with the other cities out there that are doing the exact same thing? Or do we want to fall backwards?” he asked rhetorically. “The well-educated answer is that the investment we should all be willing to make in this arena is an investment in the city of Phoenix.”

The Suns still think they are necessary for the city, which they are not but the city will cave, they know it, and we know it.

Unless you are like the Cubs, Yankees or GreenBay you have to know that sports will go where cities are going to give them the most goodies.

DesertRay Dec 13, 2018 3:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8407357)
See, just the suns trying to throw their weight around, PBJ this morning:

Suns CEO: Team never threatened to leave Phoenix

The Suns still think they are necessary for the city, which they are not but the city will cave, they know it, and we know it.

Unless you are like the Cubs, Yankees or GreenBay you have to know that sports will go where cities are going to give them the most goodies.

I'm not so sure what has people riled up about this. This is being paid for by car rental and hotel taxes. I'm not in love with the owner, but then again, I don't care about the owner. I care that we have some entertainment downtown, and the Suns make the most sense. Who cares if we use hotel taxes to upgrade our own facilities. I don't see any other offer on the table, and it would be frankly embarrassing to lose THE oldest major league franchise because we wouldn't maintain our own building. LA is building billion+ dollar palaces. Grow up, folks. It's not like they are taxing your Social Security checks to pay for this. We've got over four million folks here. Let's start acting like it.

biggus diggus Dec 13, 2018 4:37 PM

The landlord should be the one to foot the bill to maintain their building. Why is this even a discussion?

DesertRay Dec 13, 2018 4:43 PM

Word

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8407442)
The landlord should be the one to foot the bill to maintain their building. Why is this even a discussion?

Indeed. We're the landlord, and we're even sticking the renovation bill to the guests. Maybe we went to evict the tenant, but let's not pretend turning our own house into a tenement is going to end up hurting us more than anyone.

stutteringpunk Dec 13, 2018 5:11 PM

Quote:

Because The Suns have been struggling for too long, and Robert Sarver is probably the worst owner in professional sports. I don't love every aspect of the deal, but it seems a little more balanced than some of the other ones we've seen around the country.

Obadno Dec 13, 2018 6:03 PM

Quote:

Its not quite that straightforward, the Arena was purpose built for the tennant specifically with certain expectations from both parties.

biggus diggus Dec 13, 2018 6:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stutteringpunk (Post 8407485)
Because The Suns have been struggling for too long, and Robert Sarver is probably the worst owner in professional sports. I don't love every aspect of the deal, but it seems a little more balanced than some of the other ones we've seen around the country.

The performance of the team has no bearing on a tenant/landlord relationship. :shrug:

fawd Dec 13, 2018 6:15 PM

Quote:

C'mon Biggus! You know the answer to that. We have the perfect storm here...

1) Robert Starver is a horrible owner and has about as much leverage/respect as a bruised banana.
2) Phoenix City Council's complete incompetence.

Arizona Republic/AZCentral isn't helping either (shocker). Roberts is a below average 'journalist' at best. How most of her 'articles' (more like blog posts) make it to the front page is beyond me. Can't blame Bickley for bailing to KMVP, that's for sure!

biggus diggus Dec 13, 2018 6:18 PM

I had Fox news on this morning, fawd. They were reading messages that viewers were sending in on the subject via twitter. They clearly had a very slanted view on this and while reading one tweet from a viewer with a rational perspective they said "this isn't a good argument" and quit reading the tweet and took it off the screen.

Obadno Dec 13, 2018 6:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8407567)
I had Fox news on this morning, fawd. They were reading messages that viewers were sending in on the subject via twitter. They clearly had a very slanted view on this and while reading one tweet from a viewer with a rational perspective they said "this isn't a good argument" and quit reading the tweet and took it off the screen.

Local affiliates are 10x worse than their already useless national parent broadcasters.

Come on guys

fawd Dec 13, 2018 6:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8407587)
Local affiliates are 10x worse than their already useless national parent broadcasters.

Come on guys

*EDIT* read your post wrong obad.

Ain't that the truth!

ASUSunDevil Dec 13, 2018 6:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawd (Post 8407561)
C'mon Biggus! You know the answer to that. We have the perfect storm here...

1) Robert Starver is a horrible owner and has about as much leverage/respect as a bruised banana.
2) Phoenix City Council's complete incompetence.

Arizona Republic/AZCentral isn't helping either (shocker). Roberts is a below average 'journalist' at best. How most of her 'articles' (more like blog posts) make it to the front page is beyond me. Can't blame Bickley for bailing to KMVP, that's for sure!

Right? Roberts is unreadable.

I think it's a fair deal. The Suns would also build a $25-$50m practice facility, which will be a great addition to any neighborhood. I still haven't figured out where they might put it... I think Talking Stick would be great, but that's obviously not Phoenix.

No matter the W/L record, Phoenix is still a Suns town. Sarver just made the ultimate PR screwup and blinded the fanbase with anger before they could see a reasonable deal on the table.

Lastly, Rowley had quite the Seattle/Vegas argument cooked up for apparently not mentioning it in the meeting :haha: