SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

combusean Jun 2, 2022 9:30 PM

Alta does that. They build cheaper complexes on the outside of core areas and there are people that like that (pay less, live in a quiet area adjacent to a busy area, etc). Every one of their projects has surface parking and is a bit off the beaten path, but that gives them a lot of flexibility with their rents and aren't such a risky investment for the owners especially in up and coming areas.

That being said the gratuitous surface parking at Alta Warehouse was a tremendous disappointment. At least it hides it sort of with the street frontage.

ASU Diablo Jun 2, 2022 9:57 PM

Once vibrant century-old Phoenix Union Station could see new life

AZ Central has a better article talking about the Union Station project. I feel much better about this and this newer rendering looks pretty good. Brewery at the Union Station gets a thumbs up from me.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...se/7462537001/
Quote:

The last Sunset Limited passenger train rolled out of Phoenix's Union Station, once a bustling hub for people and commerce, on June 2, 1996.

Twenty-six years later, a developer has plans to transform the vacant building in downtown Phoenix and the 10 acres surrounding it into an events venue, with restaurants and potentially a brewery or distillery, office space and a film studio.

Aaron Klusman, founder of Zoyo Neighborhood Yogurt and several other Valley brands, including film studio Rivulet Media, bought Phoenix Union Station in late 2021 for $4 million from Sprint Communications, according to real estate database Vizzda.

The purchase included the old train station near Fourth Avenue and Jackson Street and the land surrounding it, including the historic ice house to the north of the station. The Icehouse already is being used as an event venue, and Klusman plans to hold events at the train station as well.

“Aaron is committed to working with the city to keep Union Station,” Mo Stein, principal and director of HKS Architects, the project designer and architect, said.

“Union Station used to be the entry point into Phoenix for many, many years," he said. "It won’t be the entry point again, but we have the chance to bring it back for people, and to recognize it as historically important for our city.”

'Our own little modern-day Warner Brothers studio lot'
The project's first phase will renovate the Union Station building into a combination of event space, restaurant uses, and potentially a brewery or distillery, Stein said.

Offices of Klusman’s film company, Rivulet Films, are also planned to locate there and use the space as a production studio and headquarters.

“It’s like our own little modern-day Warner Brothers studio lot … done with some edge and grit while keeping true to Phoenix's unique storyline,” Klusman said in a statement, “which I absolutely love.”

Most of the existing 30,000-square-foot building has been kept in good condition, Stein said. However, the western portion had been used as a data center, which significantly damaged the building. That portion will likely become the office space. The main building is two stories, which Stein said would function best as a public-facing space, like a food hall.

The plan also includes creating a plaza-like lawn for event space outside the central building.

Restoration and preservation work to the existing buildings is planned to begin this summer, Stein said. Some upgrades, like bringing safety systems and restroom facilities up to code, are needed before the building could be used for events or dining.

“We think this project brings a very authentic opportunity within the core of our city to bring something people know and love,” Stein said. “We can use a lot of the building exactly the way it is.”

Residential units, hotel could eventually be added
Beyond the station, Klusman is in the early planning stages for future phases of development on the site.

On the east end of the site, Stein said they are considering a 14-story or more residential building. The new construction would not touch or affect the existing train station.

On the western portion, near Fifth Avenue, they are considering an 11-story hotel that would have parking and amenity decks.

On the southwest of the building, on the side where the building was damaged by the data center uses, the project could include a four-story office building.

Stein said there is no timeline for the new construction and no developer chosen, and any new buildings will be driven by market demand. For now, the attention is on restoring and reusing the existing building.

Union Station sprouted Phoenix's Warehouse District
Christine Mackay, community and economic development director for Phoenix, said the project gives a chance to restore life to the place where people got their first looks at Phoenix about 100 years ago, as well as the driver for much of Phoenix’s commerce.

“Phoenix Union Station is where people arrived to,” she said. “It was where people came and had their first experiences of Phoenix arriving on the train. It is intimately woven into the history of Phoenix.”

Mackay said the train station was integral in Phoenix’s commerce activities, and was the way produce and other goods made their way from the city to destinations throughout the country.

“The whole Warehouse District was formed because of Union Station,” she said.

And just as the station was a driver for development in the 1920s, Mackay said it could be a catalyst for the area again.

“This really can be the center point of redevelopment in downtown,” she said, adding that there has been some public sector development, like the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office’s adaptive reuse of the former jail building, but there has not been much new development from the private sector in the area.

When touring the building with potential buyers before Klusman bought it, Mackay said she always had the fear that someone might want to tear it down instead of preserving it. Klusman’s plan to have public-facing amenities in the building has been very exciting for her.

“It got into the hands of someone who would revere the building and restore it to its original grandeur,” Mackay said.
https://i.imgur.com/xSaJoP9.jpg

combusean Jun 2, 2022 11:14 PM

I don't get how they're proposing a 14 story tower and an 11 story hotel, have renderings for these projects, but don't have a developer.

I'm also kind of bewildered that a local office of HKS would put out such an impractical, ugly design.

MMDelon Jun 2, 2022 11:14 PM

If Christine Mackay is aware of this project then it should have traction. This is off topic but how does this group feel about Christine Mackay? I think she has done a solid job in helping in bringing in solid projects.

HX_Guy Jun 3, 2022 3:27 AM

Luxury hotel brand Fairmont signs on to downtown Phoenix property

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts, a global chain of luxury hotels, has signed a definitive agreement for the development and management of a new hotel and residences in downtown Phoenix.

The Fairmont Phoenix will be going into the mixed-use tower incorporated into a historic building in downtown Phoenix’s warehouse district that was approved by the Phoenix City Council more than a year ago. The property is located at the southwest corner of First and Jackson streets in Phoenix.

The hotel is owned and being developed by Thunderbird Legacy Group and the Arizona Opportunities Industrialization Center (Arizona OIC), an active historic nonprofit organization that offers employment training and workforce development programs in Phoenix.

The hotel chain, which is owned by France-based Accor, announced the deal on Thursday morning. The company expects the downtown Phoenix hotel to open in early 2025.

“Fairmont Phoenix will be a prominent addition to the region’s growing luxury portfolio and will provide a unique offering unlike anything in Phoenix,” Heather McCrory, Accor’s North and Central America CEO, said in a statement. “This prominent development further positions Accor as a leader in the luxury hotel and branded residences segment as we continue our expansion throughout key North American markets.”

Fairmont compared the Phoenix hotel to some of its iconic luxury properties such as the Fairmont Grand del Mar in San Diego, The Plaza in New York City, and the recently reimagined Fairmont Century Plaza in Los Angeles.

“Fairmont is one of the most distinguished names in the hospitality world, so it was a natural fit to work together to create a vision of excellence that will further enhance Phoenix’s reputation as a center for innovation, collaboration, and education,” Dwight Alexander, the managing partner of Thunderbird Legacy Development, said in a statement.

The 25-story hotel will have 225 guest rooms, including 34 suites. The Fairmont Phoenix will have four bars and restaurants including a full-service restaurant, a lobby bar, a specialty bar at the rooftop pool and a café.

The property will also have 151 Fairmont branded of one-to three-bedroom residences that will occupy floors 14 to 25. The residences will have their own exclusive amenities including an owner’s lounge, outdoor swimming pool and hot tub, fitness center, dedicated parking and a private entrance. The company said in a news release that the condos will be “among the most luxurious residential offerings in the city,” and a website has been created for prospective buyers.

The building will also include ground floor retail and office space, and the Arizona OIC will continue to operate out of the building.

Thunderbird Legacy Development will serve as the developer and general partner on the downtown project. Gensler is the architect and Project Management Advisors is overseeing management of the project. After the deal has been signed, Accor’s Luxury Design & Technical Services team is working with all the designers on the project.

This will be the second Fairmont-branded hotel property in the Valley. The Fairmont Scottsdale Princess has been one of the top-rated resorts in the Valley with its hospitality and food and beverage programs regularly being given awards and recognitions.

“We’re excited to see the Fairmont brand growing in Arizona, and look forward to welcoming a sister property to the market," said Pam Gilbert, director of sales and marketing for Fairmont Scottsdale Princess, said in a statement. "We wish the team there the best of luck and anticipate many synergies between the two properties and look forward to their success and working with the Downtown Fairmont.”

After hotel development slowed somewhat during the early days of the pandemic, Phoenix’s new hotel pipeline is filling up. Recently, the construction on a new luxury Caesars Republic Scottsdale hotel next to Scottsdale Fashion Square started back up again after development was put on hold because of Covid-19.

http://nitnelav.com/DTFairmont.jpg

Edifice Jun 3, 2022 5:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 9639837)
They'll be fine. It sounds like you're projecting your own personal preferences onto the everyday renter; that doesn't work. Most people don't want to walk or ride their bikes and there are 5+ million people here.

Man, what a complete crock! His point is valid. Who knew Phoenix had 5 million people here? Sometimes it’s better not to respond.

YourBuddy Jun 3, 2022 7:22 AM

The area around Alta has to start somewhere. People will drive and people will bike. Don’t think many people will walk too much in the area. It will probably be cheaper. All that is fine to start in a rougher area, but it’s better than dirt lots.

biggus diggus Jun 3, 2022 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edifice (Post 9640210)
His point is valid.

Sure, it's valid personal preference. Like I said, there are 5+ million people here, they'll rent the apartments just fine.

downtownphxguy12 Jun 3, 2022 1:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourBuddy (Post 9640232)
The area around Alta has to start somewhere. People will drive and people will bike. Don’t think many people will walk too much in the area. It will probably be cheaper. All that is fine to start in a rougher area, but it’s better than dirt lots.

Its just such a weird location. You move there to be close to downtown yet you have to get in a car and drive 2 blocks and spend some time finding a parking spot to go anywhere. and parking around Roosevelt row is getting worse.

and why would you move there if not because of downtown? you're across from public housing, close to homeless campus, basically a wasteland.

Im glad it was built, great for that corner of downtown.

Obadno Jun 3, 2022 2:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 (Post 9640316)
Its just such a weird location. You move there to be close to downtown yet you have to get in a car and drive 2 blocks and spend some time finding a parking spot to go anywhere. and parking around Roosevelt row is getting worse.

and why would you move there if not because of downtown? you're across from public housing, close to homeless campus, basically a wasteland.

I will give Alta credit where it is due, they built Alta Fillmore off when it was on its lonesome on the far end of downtown for years with the area nearby just now filling in. And they are building Alta south of the tracks WAYYYYY before anyone else would even consider it.

locolife Jun 3, 2022 6:19 PM

Quote:

Why would you need a car to go 2 blocks? You can bike, take an electric scooter, Uber/Lyft, Light Rail? When I'm downtown for a game or anything else we take scooters all over the place for short hops between say Cityscape and Roosevelt, it's 1000% better than driving and even when it's hot it's not a big deal, 5 minutes and you're on the other end of downtown.

downtownphxguy12 Jun 3, 2022 6:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locolife (Post 9640570)
Why would you need a car to go 2 blocks? You can bike, take an electric scooter, Uber/Lyft, Light Rail? When I'm downtown for a game or anything else we take scooters all over the place for short hops between say Cityscape and Roosevelt, it's 1000% better than driving and even when it's hot it's not a big deal, 5 minutes and you're on the other end of downtown.

I agree (i kind of forgotten about lift and uber since mostly stopped using them lately due to cost and wait times. i pretty much walk everywhere). I was addressing an earlier comment on my post that most people wouldn't walk or ride

" It sounds like you're projecting your own personal preferences onto the everyday renter; that doesn't work. Most people don't want to walk or ride their bikes and there are 5+ million people here."

maybe he was thinking of rideshare vs walking/biking

locolife Jun 3, 2022 8:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 (Post 9640590)
I agree (i kind of forgotten about lift and uber since mostly stopped using them lately due to cost and wait times. i pretty much walk everywhere). I was addressing an earlier comment on my post that most people wouldn't walk or ride

" It sounds like you're projecting your own personal preferences onto the everyday renter; that doesn't work. Most people don't want to walk or ride their bikes and there are 5+ million people here."

maybe he was thinking of rideshare vs walking/biking

Oh yeah, I wasn't following that comment, most people don't walk or ride their bikes in any city hah.

I do find those little electric rental scooters super convenient, especially in a city where it doesn't rain/snow a lot. If I lived and worked downtown I don't think I'd drive much.

CANUC Jun 3, 2022 8:54 PM

Quote:

Maybe its just me but what I find stranger is building a three to four story apartment complex in say, Buckeye/Anthem/San Tan etc, as opposed to Central Phoenix where land availability is coming at a premium. It seems more logical to me that core locations make more sense for these types of developments even if they are surrounded by 'wasteland'. I mean what surrounds those far flung development in the middle of dirt fields?

PHX06 Jun 13, 2022 2:50 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...t-mercado.html

It looks like the City of Phoenix will be issuing an RFP for the old ASU lot on the SE corner of 1st & McKinley if the Mercado land swap goes through. Does anyone know if that property includes the entire block? Or just the parking lot on the north half?

I ask because it looks like La Flor De Calabaza has closed down permanently, and I know that Pomo Pizzeria is going to move to the old Strand place in Cityscape. It seems like that plaza, except for Chambers, is slowly clearing out.

Obadno Jun 13, 2022 4:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX06 (Post 9648218)

It looks like the City of Phoenix will be issuing an RFP for the old ASU lot on the SE corner of 1st & McKinley if the Mercado land swap goes through. Does anyone know if that property includes the entire block? Or just the parking lot on the north half?

I ask because it looks like La Flor De Calabaza has closed down permanently, and I know that Pomo Pizzeria is going to move to the old Strand place in Cityscape. It seems like that plaza, except for Chambers, is slowly clearing out.

Those are terrible developments. Not that Im a big fan of any of those places but I tink they are better for the neighborhood than generic high rise with crappy retail space, Also I dont see Pomo doing well at the old strand spot.

ASU Diablo Jun 13, 2022 4:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX06 (Post 9648218)

Just the north half.

Chestnut1 Jun 13, 2022 4:44 PM

Preliminary building plans were filed today (PRLM 2204875)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 9623293)

ASU Diablo Jun 13, 2022 4:45 PM

@exit2left

You always seem to know the outcome of the monthly DVC meetings...not sure if you're on the Board or regularly attend these as a casual attendee.

Do you happen to have an update on the discussion around the old Seargeant/Oldaker home? (649 N 3rd Ave). Any progress on getting this home transported to its new lot?

BA744PHX Jun 13, 2022 7:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 9648310)
Those are terrible developments. Not that Im a big fan of any of those places but I tink they are better for the neighborhood than generic high rise with crappy retail space, Also I dont see Pomo doing well at the old strand spot.

I wonder what potential for the 1st and McKinley lot has.