SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Camelback Sep 3, 2021 6:51 PM

There were 5,228 choking deaths in 2019, that's gone way up!
In 2009 it was only 4,370.

We should probably mandate that everybody consumes smoothies and ban solid foods because eating can kill you and the upward trend is worrisome and scary.

Choking deaths were 18x more than Covid deaths amongst our children. At the very least, we should mandate that all solid foods at schools be banned.

Camelback Sep 3, 2021 6:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 9386340)
yeah you know you can get harassed, mugged, or assaulted while driving too?
And yes, lots of people die every year of other things that are also dangerous (cancer, heart attacks, suicide).

I've never been harassed, mugged or assaulted while driving in my car by myself or with my family.

Have you?

homebucket Sep 3, 2021 6:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9386336)
To stay completely safe from covid, I recommend wintering over in the Antarctic, not living on a submarine (you can't drink on a submarine or go outside).

However, since urban politician will now accuse me of advocating that sort of hiding, I did it in 1976 and don't plan to do it again. Yesterday I went out to lunch at a great Cajun/Creole restaurant in San Francisco as I often do. I'm about to go out for some shopping.

Brenda’s?

SIGSEGV Sep 3, 2021 6:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9386347)
I've never been harassed, mugged or assaulted while driving in my car by myself or with my family.

Have you?

No, nor have I been seriously harassed, mugged, or assaulted while on public transport... but carjackings are relatively common and in some ways a lot worse. Anyway this is not super relevant, it seems like we define dangerous in very different ways.

the urban politician Sep 3, 2021 7:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9386336)
Yesterday I went out to lunch at a great Cajun/Creole restaurant in San Francisco as I often do. I'm about to go out for some shopping.

So you’ve had a break through in therapy!

:thankyouthankyou:

Here’s to hoping that you can finally get out and confront the snerks:

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-cYNhmqmtF...0/paranoid.jpg

Get out, you snerks!

The snerks are harmless, Pedestrian. Have tea with them!

Camelback Sep 3, 2021 7:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 9386355)
No, nor have I been seriously harassed, mugged, or assaulted while on public transport... but carjackings are relatively common and in some ways a lot worse.

You've never been harassed by anybody in Chicago riding the public transportation? Not once?

99.999% of drivers will go their entire life without getting pistol whipped and carjacked Lol.

SIGSEGV Sep 3, 2021 7:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9386361)
You've never been harassed by anybody in Chicago riding the public transportation? Not once?

99.999% of drivers will go their entire life without getting pistol whipped and carjacked Lol.

If you think someone talking to you is harassment...

Camelback Sep 3, 2021 7:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 9386362)
If you think someone talking to you is harassment...

Unwanted "talking" of any kind is harassment. That's different from chopping it up with a random sitting next to you.

Also, 95% of American households have a car. 5% use public transportation and of that 5% ride share is taking an increasing share of that number.

You can be carless and still rely on cars to get around. Busses also operate like a car, they have a driver and are in roadways that are full of cars operated by motorists.

Pedestrian Sep 3, 2021 7:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9386368)
Busses also operate like a car, they have a driver and are in roadways that are full of cars operated by motorists.

Waymo? I really want to start getting free driverless rides.

Pedestrian Sep 3, 2021 7:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9386357)
So you’ve had a break through in therapy!

:thankyouthankyou:

Here’s to hoping that you can finally get out and confront the snerks . . . .

When are you going to contribute some "science" to these pages rather than insults and speculation? I don't think you've ever posted a scientific reference. And other than vaccination, your views seem very much counter to the medical consensus.

Crawford Sep 3, 2021 7:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9386361)
You've never been harassed by anybody in Chicago riding the public transportation? Not once?

99.999% of drivers will go their entire life without getting pistol whipped and carjacked Lol.

I've never been harassed, in 40+ years of riding public transit.

My mom was carjacked, however. In an upscale American suburb, no less.

Pedestrian Sep 3, 2021 7:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil McAvity (Post 9386367)
Covid is only somewhat dangerous to octogenarians as even the vast majority of them survive but at that age, walking is dangerous

Oh, please. Walking is good for people of any age and there are octogenarians who jog, even run half marathons.

Crawford Sep 3, 2021 7:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9386291)
Trust me, the only people who think driving a car is dangerous is urbanists in a skyscraper forum who already hate cars anyhow. Not even a remotely unbiased population, and totally unrepresentative of most of American society.

Pregnant women and old ladies drive cars all of the time. So it’s just not perceived as dangerous by nearly anybody in the mainstream.

I know. This is exactly my point. People are horrible judges of relative risk.

If you had a teenage daughter, and told others that she's taking dad's SUV for a ride, you'd get all kinds of comments like "Have a blast!". If you posted that she's taking the Red Line in Chicago downtown, you'd get all kinds of comments like "Uh, you really sure about that"? If you posted that she's taking a bus in the South Side of Chicago, you'd get panicked relatives calling 911.

But a 16-yo probably has 100x the odds of physical harm in a private vehicle as opposed to public transit. And old folks are the same. My dad has lots of 80-90 yr old clients and they always give up driving AFTER they've had some catastrophic, debilitating accident. The same clients wouldn't be caught dead on a bus.

SIGSEGV Sep 3, 2021 7:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil McAvity (Post 9386367)
Is it weird for you to hear the truth? How else would you describe someone who takes the train because they're too scared to drive?

I'm not too scared to drive, I find it stressful because small mistakes can be fatal, ergo it's dangerous. Same reason I find biking in mixed traffic stressful (which is indeed even more dangerous since there are fewer things preventing you from harm). I'm not scared to do it, I just don't like it. If there are no effective failsafes for minor errors, than an activity is dangerous, like standing on the edge of a cliff is dangerous.

SIGSEGV Sep 3, 2021 7:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9386368)
Unwanted "talking" of any kind is harassment. That's different from chopping it up with a random sitting next to you.

Ok, but this type of "harrassment" isn't dangerous. You might not like random people talking to you and that might be a good reason to surround yourself by a steel bubble. In reality, it's no more annoying than the people trying to get you to donate to Amnesty International or watching ads.
Quote:

Also, 95% of American households have a car. 5% use public transportation and of that 5% ride share is taking an increasing share of that number.
95% of teenage girls like Justin Bieber (ok I made that up, no idea who people like now). Who cares?

Quote:

You can be carless and still rely on cars to get around. Busses also operate like a car, they have a driver and are in roadways that are full of cars operated by motorists.
Sure, but the bus driver is presumably a professional driver and a bus is much safer than a car due to physics.

Camelback Sep 3, 2021 7:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9386375)
Waymo? I really want to start getting free driverless rides.

There was a period you could sign up for driverless rides. They're all over Chandler and other parts of the East Valley.

Camelback Sep 3, 2021 7:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 9386405)
Ok, but this type of "harrassment" isn't dangerous. You might not like random people talking to you and that might be a good reason to surround yourself by a steel bubble. In reality, it's no more annoying than the people trying to get you to donate to Amnesty International or watching ads.


95% of teenage girls like Justin Bieber (ok I made that up, no idea who people like now). Who cares?



Sure, but the bus driver is presumably a professional driver and a bus is much safer than a car due to physics.

I think you know who I'm talking about when I use the word harassed. You keep bringing up random people "talking" to you, that's not what I'm referring to.

photoLith Sep 3, 2021 7:50 PM

So how tall is the FNB Tower going to be? About 300ft? Never thought I’d actually see it built ever.

Pedestrian Sep 3, 2021 7:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil McAvity (Post 9386399)
What the fuck does the fact that walking is healthy have to do with what I said? :shrug:

Not only that but most octogenarians I see are hunched over pushing a walker not running half marathons

Bitch please

You said, and I quote, ". . . octogenarians as even the vast majority of them survive but at that age, walking is dangerous.

If the distinction between your statement that for the vast majority of octogenarians walking is dangerous and mine that you are wrong and for the vast majority of them walking is a healthy activity isn't obvious, perhaps you have early Alzheimer's yourself.

Pedestrian Sep 3, 2021 7:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camelback (Post 9386424)
There was a period you could sign up for driverless rides. They're all over Chandler and other parts of the East Valley.

I did sign up but so far I haven't been picked for their test panel. Apparently I live in the wrong part of town (too near downtown, too much heavy traffic).


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.