SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | NEMA Chicago | 896 FT | 81 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218570)

PittsburghPA Jan 17, 2019 4:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombardier (Post 8439496)
wt

Don't worry Bombardier, I know you called the Cube. Cheers!

Freefall Jan 17, 2019 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 8439536)
I wonder where 800 units ranks in terms of apartment buildings in Chicago. I know Presidential Towers has over 2000 units, but that's split over 4 towers...

Downtown it'll be second. Citywide I believe it'll be third. 655 W Irving Park has 901 units. One Superior Place has 809 units.

aaron38 Jan 17, 2019 1:48 PM

It's surprising to me that the highest units have southern views instead of skyline/park views. They decided to favor sunlight over views?

Ricochet48 Jan 17, 2019 4:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freefall (Post 8439681)
Downtown it'll be second. Citywide I believe it'll be third. 655 W Irving Park has 901 units. One Superior Place has 809 units.

Immediately thought of Superior as I almost lived there. Grand Plaza has 764 (including the 283 condos that are mostly rented anyways), Wolf Point East is 700, both Optima's combined are 815, similarly both Old Town Parks are 833 together.

South Loop has added NEMA, Essex, The Paragon, The Cooper, Eleven40, an Alta, and a several smaller complexes in such a short time. Are there enough young pros willing to pay $2.5K/mo for a 1BR in SL, guess we will see?

Still excited to see how NEMA looks in the end. Thus far it really compliments the Sears Tower and adds some much needed weight / balance to that corner of Sloop.

Steely Dan Jan 17, 2019 4:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freefall (Post 8439681)

i thought Outer Drive East (400 E Randolph) was the largest single residential building in the city with 955 units.

or are we restricting the conversation to strictly rental properties?

Barrelfish Jan 17, 2019 5:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8439962)
i thought Outer Drive East (400 E Randolph) was the largest single residential building in the city with 955 units.

Interesting that so many of the highest unit-count buildings in the city are such minor presences in the skyline and don't "feel" that big (400 E Randolph, 1 Superior). I lived in 655 W Irving Park for a summer, and while it's a big building and significantly bigger than anything else around, it never crossed my mind that it might be one of the biggest apartment buildings in the city. I'm glad NEMA will add some more skyline presence and architectural flair to the top end of that list.

Side note, when 400 E Randolph was built in 1963, it was the world's largest apartment building. Now it gets lost in the shuffle of Lakeshore East. How times change.

Freefall Jan 17, 2019 5:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8439962)

Ah yes, looks like 400 E is the largest. Never realized it was that dense.

Bombardier Jan 18, 2019 3:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PittsburghPA (Post 8439542)
Don't worry Bombardier, I know you called the Cube. Cheers!

:)

The crane gave it away... no one would spend the money to extend the crane that high without a good reason!

BonoboZill4 Jan 18, 2019 3:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombardier (Post 8440825)
:)

The crane gave it away... no one would spend the money to extend the crane that high without a good reason!

I have never been happier to be wrong than I was about the faux height fiasco/drama :haha::haha:

Neuman Jan 18, 2019 9:59 AM

PT has 2,346 units in total.

cozy Jan 18, 2019 5:16 PM

is the cube going to be re-enforced concrete??? what are those pillars they are working on in latest pics? that would be so cool

J_M_Tungsten Jan 18, 2019 5:32 PM

Soooo, what would probably be the most sought after views of the park/city at the top, they have made the core? I’m sure it all makes sense for the elevators, but seems like valuable real estate to put up fake windows on concrete.

jc5680 Jan 18, 2019 6:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cozy (Post 8441415)
is the cube going to be re-enforced concrete??? what are those pillars they are working on in latest pics? that would be so cool

If you go by the rendering, the pillars are for the 5 remaining 'floors' left, not a cube

PittsburghPA Jan 18, 2019 6:23 PM

Why wouldnt they continue the floor formwork if they were adding floors and not just columns? Not trying to be argumentative just generally curious.

jc5680 Jan 18, 2019 6:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PittsburghPA (Post 8441554)
Why wouldnt they continue the floor formwork if they were adding floors and not just columns? Not trying to be argumentative just generally curious.

The rebar sticking up for the columns follows pretty typical cadence, its just you can see it with screening from the north side removed. Floor formwork usually comes after the columns are poured. Also, since the core is done, that formwork is no longer needed.

That also assumes there is even floor slabs at this point though. Since the elevator doesn't go to these last 'floors' they could effectively just be an elaborate screen for mechanicals or a damper or both.

cozy Jan 18, 2019 7:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten (Post 8441455)
Soooo, what would probably be the most sought after views of the park/city at the top, they have made the core? I’m sure it all makes sense for the elevators, but seems like valuable real estate to put up fake windows on concrete.

correct me if im wrong, but there are certain mechanical elements of a residential skyscraper that have to be installed above everything else, and all skyscrapers have them. as much as the developers would love to sell all that space it isn't possible

J_M_Tungsten Jan 18, 2019 8:04 PM

^true enough, but 5+ floors of mechanical? I can’t say for sure since it’s not my industry, but it seems like a lot of space. Also, I believe real windows are on the East, South, and West walls.

jc5680 Jan 18, 2019 8:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten (Post 8441734)
^true enough, but 5+ floors of mechanical? I can’t say for sure since it’s not my industry, but it seems like a lot of space. Also, I believe real windows are on the East, South, and West walls.

A tuned mass damper could justify that space. The one in Taipei 101 occupies that much space.

Not sure if we ever heard about the finalized design, but bvic posted way back about a sloshing damper that needed at least 2 floors.

harryc Jan 21, 2019 1:17 PM

Jan 16

skyscraper Jan 21, 2019 1:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc5680 (Post 8441823)
A tuned mass damper could justify that space. The one in Taipei 101 occupies that much space.

Not sure if we ever heard about the finalized design, but bvic posted way back about a sloshing damper that needed at least 2 floors.

last I heard, it doesn't have a tmd, but it does have a 2-story slosh tank at the top.