SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   The Brightline Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198371)

Lakelander Dec 11, 2012 4:35 AM

^Using OUC's rail line as a short extension has been discussed before and is a part of OIA's master plan. Here is a map showing it as a HSR connection a few years back:

http://photos.metrojacksonville.com/...80_XqebM-L.jpg

http://photos.metrojacksonville.com/...83_yhAgh-L.jpg

Here is a recent article about using OUC's existing rail line as the connection. I believe this is the same line/ROW that AAF will use from the opposite end to access the proposed Orlando airport station:

Quote:

But Lambert said converting the OUC rail spur to commuter rail could be fast-tracked, and sources said it could be online by the time SunRail begins its second phase of operations in 2016.
http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/p...4m.html?page=2

My guess, is this concept will be eventually built. It's not expensive as other options discussed and the presence of AAF provides the incentive to do it. In the meantime, you'll most likely have shuttle service between the two systems.

electricron Dec 11, 2012 5:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afiggatt (Post 5932743)
December, 2014 was always an unrealistic start date for the proposed Miami to Orlando service. Besides the new stations to be built, the miles of second track to be added to the existing line, building ~40 miles of new track takes a while. Even if most of the new tracks will be in a medium strip of a highway, there will be flyover bridges, connecting bridges to build, probably some utility relocations, etc. I think FECI knew that the December, 2014 was not realistic, but they are using the early start dates to create a sense of urgency with the state agencies, municipal government, airport authority, political leaders to get them to respond quickly and not let applications sit in the inbox for 6 months before doing anything.

I disagree. Have you taken the time to watch this video I posted earlier?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl1yVSD_Tv8
In it, during the 26th minute of the video, they stated the longest lead time for completing this project is ordering, building, and testing their trains, estimated to take 20 to 30 months. Therefore they could potentially make a December 2014 opening date if they order their trains by April 2013. Assuming they order the trains in January 2013, the worse case would be operational by July 2015.

eleven=11 Dec 11, 2012 5:15 AM

yes but we are all waiting on the annoucment about
orlando airport...............
the final plans
no more high speed rail, just All Aboard & Sun Rail

N830MH Dec 11, 2012 6:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakelander (Post 5933249)
^Using OUC's rail line as a short extension has been discussed before and is a part of OIA's master plan. Here is a map showing it as a HSR connection a few years back:

http://photos.metrojacksonville.com/...80_XqebM-L.jpg

http://photos.metrojacksonville.com/...83_yhAgh-L.jpg

Here is a recent article about using OUC's existing rail line as the connection. I believe this is the same line/ROW that AAF will use from the opposite end to access the proposed Orlando airport station:

Where did you find out about new South terminal? When they going to being built? I wasn't sure about this one. I guess they will have a plans to being built a brand new terminal. How those passengers who will catch the flight from North terminal to South terminal?

N830MH Dec 11, 2012 6:58 AM

Hi All,

They already groundbreaking a brand new South terminal. Here is the link:

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-rel...156749115.html

You guys didn't realize know it. Which airlines will be? And also, there is some a few domestic gates as well.

Lakelander Dec 11, 2012 2:11 PM

^The article you posted looks to be over a decade old. However, the intermodal rail facility component is what FEC/AAF and OIA are discussing. Here are two articles from a few months back:

Quote:

Demonstrating a vision for the future, the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority, which operates Orlando International Airport, has already invested in infrastructure for a station that could accommodate up to four rail systems. In discussing the integration of rail Brown explained, “We have planned our intermodal facility in a central location to service both the north and the future south terminal and All Aboard Florida is vying to be the first rail system to operate from it.”

The station as proposed would incorporate the airport’s design concept of The Orlando Experience™ with the prevailing use of light, water, gardens and open spaces for meetings and retail concessions.

In addition to other proposed community rail systems, including SunRail, the airport’s plans include an automated people mover that would provide passengers direct access from the current North Terminal to future expansion including additional aircraft gates to the South. SunRail will be Central Florida's first commuter rail line connecting four counties and spanning 61.5 miles including a future connection to Orlando International Airport.
http://www.orlandoairports.net/press/2012/20120620.htm

Quote:

Orlando International Airport officials could break ground next year on a $470 million expansion featuring a train depot and parking garage that eventually might lead to construction of a separate, southern terminal that would cost another $1 billion.

The deal, however, is far from done.

Plenty of obstacles could postpone or kill the plans, including another recession that dampens demand for air travel, failure to reach an agreement with the backers of the train or opposition from airlines and rental-car companies that lease space at the airport.
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...rport-director

eleven=11 Dec 13, 2012 6:16 AM

another new train/maglev is coming to orlando airport
13$ to go from airport to the convention center

guess it will connect also to All Aboad & Sun Rail???

Lakelander Dec 13, 2012 11:47 AM

^That thing will have to break ground before I believe it's going to happen. The maglev guy wasted a lot of people's money on his failed Norfolk project. Also, $13/ticket sounds pretty expensive for a short trip between the airport and convention center. Show up with a family of four and you're looking at paying over $100 round trip. I'm a big mass transit supporter, but at that number, it would be possibly cheaper to rent a car for a few days.

eleven=11 Dec 13, 2012 2:15 PM

if you put your children inside your luggage maybe you can save some money.

maybe 8 or 9 or 10 dollars is better , plus a transfer to All Abord & Sun Rail.

Baronvonellis Dec 13, 2012 5:08 PM

He says the maglev is only going to go 50MHP. Why would he spend the insane costs for maglev? Why not just use conventional light rail that would be far cheaper?

electricron Dec 13, 2012 8:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baronvonellis (Post 5936538)
He says the maglev is only going to go 50MHP. Why would he spend the insane costs for maglev? Why not just use conventional light rail that would be far cheaper?

Excellent question. Extending Sun Rail to the airport would be far cheaper. While light rail could be built to the airport instead, why when Sun Rail commuter rail exists?

Dale Dec 13, 2012 8:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electricron (Post 5936846)
Excellent question. Extending Sun Rail to the airport would be far cheaper.

Cheaper for him, not for us.

M II A II R II K Dec 17, 2012 10:46 PM

MetroPlan approves float-on-air train for south Orange

Read More: http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...turistic-train

Quote:

MetroPlan Orlando's go-ahead of the $315 million project came with plenty of caveats, including:

• Approval from the Florida Department of Transportation that the elevated-track system using unusual technology would work as promised. The two-car train relies on electrified magnets to lift it inches off the track to be propelled on a column of air.

• Winning agreements from Orlando, the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority, Orange County, the Orlando Orange County Expressway Authority and FDOT for free use of land each agency owns.

• An in-depth ridership survey and study of potential economic impacts on rental car companies and transit agencies that pay rent to the airport.

• How the train might work with the $1.2 billion SunRail commuter train and how fares might be shared.

- Officials have been skeptical of Morris because he has yet to build or operate a commercially viable train, although he has a short test track operating in Powder Springs, Ga., outside Atlanta. But he failed with two attempts to get his maglev train to work in Volusia County during the mid-1990s and at Old Dominion University in Virginia in 2001. He spent an estimated $16 million in federal, state and private money at Old Dominion before the train was sold for scrap. Morris contends he has fixed the problems that previously plagued his train and pledged he could bring a maglev train to south Orange by 2014. Piquing the interest of local officials is that Morris has formed a partnership with Grupo ACS, one of the largest construction companies in the world.

- Morris said he would run five trains daily at 10-minute intervals, with a top speed of 50 mph. A one-way ticket from the airport to the convention center would cost $13 and would generate enough income to pay for construction costs, as well as operations and maintenance. The train would create 60 permanent jobs, Morris said, plus another 600 jobs would be filled during construction. Harry Barley, who runs MetroPlan, said area leaders should embrace "new and different" approaches to transportation, as long as they protect the region against possible failure. Barley pointed out that there are no privately financed and operated mass-transit systems in the country. A monorail in Las Vegas built with private backing worked for a few years, but fell into bankruptcy when the economy soured. "Things can go wrong," Barley said.

http://media.trb.com/media/photo/2012-12/73670675.jpg

Lakelander Dec 18, 2012 12:05 AM

Speaking of feasibility, what happens when someone opens a cheap shuttle bus service for those looking to bypass being raped for $13/ticket for a ten mile trip?

Dale Dec 18, 2012 5:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M II A II R II K (Post 5941679)

Damn, that's ugly.

ardecila Dec 18, 2012 4:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale (Post 5942157)
Damn, that's ugly.

They could build a taller parapet wall to conceal the chassis, but that would be far more heavy and oppressive-looking. They could also build a "smart track, dumb train" system, but that would be dramatically more expensive and difficult to maintain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakelander (Post 5941761)
Speaking of feasibility, what happens when someone opens a cheap shuttle bus service for those looking to bypass being raped for $13/ticket for a ten mile trip?

It doesn't happen. I'm guessing airport officials and FDOT officials are conservative, but they won't bat an eye granting a monopoly to the maglev. They control curb space at the airport, so there's plenty of leverage to enforce the monopoly.

Lakelander Dec 18, 2012 7:11 PM

To grant a maglev monopoly, you'd have to rid yourself of everything serving this purpose now and stop planning for Sunrail to connect with AAF at OIA. That's a huge political battle that has little to do with transit. Will the theme parks, hotels, etc. be willing to give up their shuttles? Will the cab industry be willing to lose money so a guy with a maglev can have it all?

eleven=11 Dec 18, 2012 7:37 PM

maglev from the airport with stops at The Mall and conv center
plus a few more ,
It wont compete with Sun Rail , just more ways for people to get to the airport.

Why dont Disney invest some money in the maglev and bring people straight to the parks???

electricron Dec 18, 2012 7:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakelander (Post 5942859)
To grant a maglev monopoly, you'd have to rid yourself of everything serving this purpose now and stop planning for Sunrail to connect with AAF at OIA. That's a huge political battle that has little to do with transit. Will the theme parks, hotels, etc. be willing to give up their shuttles? Will the cab industry be willing to lose money so a guy with a maglev can have it all?

A guy with a maglev train with non working prototypes to boot.
Golly, if elevated transit is required, there's several proven steel wheel on steel rail examples, and several rubber wheels on steel or concrete beam examples.
Why reinvent the wheel? The wheel has been around for millenniums.

Lakelander Dec 18, 2012 7:48 PM

It will compete because you're pulling from the same limited ridership pool. You'll need as many as possible if you require a high ticket price for it to make sense to build it.Also, Disney currently operates a free airport shuttle. They have no financial reason to invest in Morris' maglev.

aquablue Dec 18, 2012 8:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electricron (Post 5942903)
A guy with a maglev train with non working prototypes to boot.
Golly, if elevated transit is required, there's several proven steel wheel on steel rail examples, and several rubber wheels on steel or concrete beam examples.
Why reinvent the wheel? The wheel has been around for millenniums.

Maglev is a far better ride, friction less, faster and quieter, I have ridden the Shanghai maglev. It also paves the way for an American Maglev industry to sprout. One one example succeeds, others around the country will use it as an example. Pioneers are always ridiculed, but history books will give them their due. I hope this will be built and it succeeds. Isn't it time that something new and innovative was engineered in the US instead of falling back on what is basically technology from the 1800's (steel wheel on rail)? Higher speed maglev is the future of intercity travel, see Japan. This low speed one will be a good start for the US to get experience with implementing such tech. It is also zero emissions locally and less polluting than shuttle buses (until we get electric buses).

eleven=11 Dec 18, 2012 9:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakelander (Post 5942921)
It will compete because you're pulling from the same limited ridership pool. You'll need as many as possible if you require a high ticket price for it to make sense to build it.Also, Disney currently operates a free airport shuttle. They have no financial reason to invest in Morris' maglev.

Sun Rail is for locals/ and north orlando
All Aboard is for south miami/palm beach

maglev is for tourists/ & convention center

Lakelander Dec 18, 2012 9:42 PM

Transit in a sprawling state like Florida will quickly fail when you start designing it for specific markets instead of making it useable for the masses. Sunrail and AAF will be used by all who wish to travel to various destinations along their corridors. Short of some guy searching for a sucker to help make his invention come true, there are several more realistic and cost effective options to tie I-Drive with OIA. BTW, I haven't even mentioned the maintenance side of this. What happens when this thing malfunctions? Does connectivity then simply disappear until Morris secures the funds to repair or manufacters the parts? It's not like there are several suppliers of Morris maglev parts out there.

ardecila Dec 19, 2012 7:33 AM

If the rendering is correct, it seems like Morris is proposing to use the Bombardier "Innovia" system (used for Vancouver SkyTrain and NY AirTrain, etc.) but replace the steel wheels with a maglev. This is actually ironic, since the Innovia system originally started as a maglev. Should be plenty of suppliers for this.

I am curious what happens if the power fails, though. Do the electromagnets stop working and the train crashes onto the track beneath? Are there rubber tires to cushion the fall?

electricron Dec 19, 2012 8:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5943799)
If the rendering is correct, it seems like Morris is proposing to use the Bombardier "Innovia" system (used for Vancouver SkyTrain and NY AirTrain, etc.) but replace the steel wheels with a maglev. This is actually ironic, since the Innovia system originally started as a maglev. Should be plenty of suppliers for this.

I am curious what happens if the power fails, though. Do the electromagnets stop working and the train crashes onto the track beneath? Are there rubber tires to cushion the fall?

The Innovia system at DFW Airport uses rubber tires mounted on wheels, not sure if the wheels are made of steel or another metal.

I'm more worried about they will alight the vehicle if the power fails. I don't see an emergency walkway in the photo, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

Lakelander Dec 19, 2012 2:50 PM

I still haven't heard a solid list of reasons on how this is financially viable. However, there are a ton of red flags. It takes more than being innovative, cool, or trendsetting to get the ridership to justify a financial commitment to fund and maintain it long term. I'll be surprised if Maglev Morris secures the investors to pay for its construction. My ultimate hope is that Orlando/Florida doesn't end up with the short end of the stick when it goes up in smoke (like Norfolk).

electricron Dec 19, 2012 5:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakelander (Post 5943958)
I'll be surprised if Maglev Morris secures the investors to pay for its construction. My ultimate hope is that Orlando/Florida doesn't end up with the short end of the stick when it goes up in smoke (like Norfolk).

There are huge differences between Maglev Morris and Norfolk light rail. Maglev Morris is private enterprise at work while Norfolk light rail was always a public enterprise. When public enterprise projects go over budget, the public pays. When private enterprise projects go over budget, the private money pays.
P.S. You can ride Norfolk light rail today, it didn't go up in smoke.

Lakelander Dec 19, 2012 7:01 PM

electricron, I assume you don't know the history of Maglev Morris. Here is the failed Norfolk project I was referring too:

Quote:

After years of testing and over $9 million dollars in taxpayer money, the Old Dominion University maglev train is moving out of town.

The train was supposed to carry students from one end of campus to the other.

But at a cost of $100 million just to build one mile of maglev track, it's too expensive for ODU to use. So, the university is now researching a cheaper way to accomplish the same task.
full article: http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_n...in-on-the-move

Quote:

ODU began working on maglev after Georgia-based American Maglev Technology promised in 1999 to deliver a working system in 2002. Technical glitches, cost overruns, unpaid bills and lawsuits derailed the project.
full article: http://hamptonroads.com/2010/01/odus...ars-next-phase

Here is a picture of his failed Norfolk maglev I took back in 2008:

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/pho...4-p1020293.JPG

Dale Dec 19, 2012 9:32 PM

^ Well, no wonder it failed. They never finished the fricking track. :haha:

electricron Dec 19, 2012 10:27 PM

Thanks for the heads up, although it would of helped if you had referred to his ODU project instead of Norfolk in the first place. :)

It's one thing for Universities and other private investors to invest and sink money into research, it's another to expect cities to do so.

M II A II R II K Dec 19, 2012 10:41 PM

The main reason for low speed maglevs is that they're not susceptible to weather. And Orlando doesn't get any snow and plus it's slow.

ICTS would probably be a better option like what the Beijing Airport has.

202_Cyclist Dec 19, 2012 10:49 PM

All Aboard Florida gets OK to start lease talks for Orlando-to-Miami rail route

All Aboard Florida gets OK to start lease talks for Orlando-to-Miami rail route

Orlando Business Journal
By Anjali Fluker
December 18, 2012

"The Florida Department of Transportation on Dec. 18 gave the thumbs up to start lease negotiations with the firm that wants to build the $1.5 billion, privately owned, operated and maintained Orlando-to-Miami passenger rail system.

All Aboard Florida now will begin talks on two separate lease agreements for right-of-way use along State Road 528, one agreement with the state transportation department and another with the Orlando-Orange County Expressway Authority. That would pave the way for the firm to begin work on its proposed 240-mile intercity passenger rail system.

"Today, the Florida Department of Transportation notified All Aboard Florida that it has accepted our proposal to lease right of way in the State Road 528 corridor to build the first private intercity passenger rail system in the country,” said Husein Cumber, executive vice president of corporate development for Florida East Coast Industries. “All Aboard Florida will begin negotiations with FDOT to determine the lease terms that will allow our $1.5 billion private investment to move forward quickly so we can enhance Florida's transportation network and begin to create thousands of new jobs in our state...”

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/b...-to-start.html

Lakelander Dec 19, 2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electricron (Post 5944600)
Thanks for the heads up, although it would of helped if you had referred to his ODU project instead of Norfolk in the first place. :)

It's one thing for Universities and other private investors to invest and sink money into research, it's another to expect cities to do so.

^My bad. I thought this guy was well known. Nevertheless, if he couldn't deliver one mile of workable track what makes anyone believe he's going to follow through on a 15 mile system and operate it as an important piece of a public transit network? What happens if there are glitches, he runs out of money, or other's don't buy into his idea? Does he shut the Orlando demonstration line down? Does it end up as ODU part II? If he decides to sell, who really wants to deal with a proprietary maglev system with non-standard track, trains, and parts that only achieves a top operating speed of 50mph?

I'm one of the biggest rail fans around but if that's my only option for fixed transit, I'll take a shuttle bus or a cheap form of BRT and call it a day. Btw, glad to see another AAF update. Now that's a privately funded transit project that makes sense.

aquablue Dec 19, 2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakelander (Post 5944672)
^My bad. I thought this guy was well known. Nevertheless, if he couldn't deliver one mile of workable track what makes anyone believe he's going to follow through on a 15 mile system and operate it as an important piece of a public transit network? What happens if there are glitches, he runs out of money, or other's don't buy into his idea? Does he shut the Orlando demonstration line down? Does it end up as ODU part II? If he decides to sell, who really wants to deal with a proprietary maglev system with non-standard track, trains, and parts that only achieves a top operating speed of 50mph?

I'm one of the biggest rail fans around but if that's my only option for fixed transit, I'll take a shuttle bus or a cheap form of BRT and call it a day. Btw, glad to see another AAF update. Now that's a privately funded transit project that makes sense.

I have ridden maglev, it is a far superior ride than other steel-wheel solutions. It is like a dream.

Lakelander Dec 20, 2012 2:31 AM

^That's all good. I'm not debating the quality of a ride on a maglev. I'm questioning the feasibility and risk of this particular project in Orlando.

Lakelander Dec 29, 2012 5:58 PM

More details emerging, including the FEC railroad runs about 10 freight trains a day in the corridor, down from a high of 23 in 2006.

Orlando-to-Miami train could generate $145M in fares annually

Quote:

If the All Aboard Florida train becomes a reality, the system linking Orlando International Airport with Miami would generate $145 million in fares annually by 2018, according to records filed by the company with the state.

With one-way tickets estimated in the $100 range, that would mean the Coral Gables-based company is expecting to carry nearly 1.5 million passengers between Central and South Florida within three years of its inaugural trip in 2015.

All Aboard Florida also is seeking a 99-year lease, presumably for free or a token payment, to lay down tracks along the south edge of the BeachLine Expressway, which runs from Interstate 4 south of downtown Orlando to Cocoa on the east coast.

Those details were revealed in an 81-page proposal All Aboard Florida sent the state Department of Transportation last month.
full article: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,7345804.story

Nexis4Jersey Dec 29, 2012 7:31 PM

100$ one way , unless its 160mph is pretty steep in my opinion...

aquablue Dec 29, 2012 7:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey (Post 5953208)

That is pathetic for what is basically low speed rail.:uhh:

N830MH Dec 30, 2012 6:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey (Post 5953208)

Whoa! It's too expensive!! Cannot afford of it. There is no cheap price. How about $30 one-way ticket?

electricron Dec 30, 2012 7:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 5953660)
Whoa! It's too expensive!! Cannot afford of it. There is no cheap price. How about $30 one-way ticket?

You'd pay $18 in tolls on the Florida Turnpike between Orlando and Miami, and that's before buying the gas. At around 240 miles, assuming you average 24 mpg on a highway, that 10 gallons, and at $4 per gallon, that's another $40. Just gas and tolls alone you will spend $58. Spending twice that, and letting someone else do the driving is definitely worth it. :tup:
FEC is in the business of creating profits, they certainly aren't going to charge less than what you can drive it.

Lakelander Dec 30, 2012 1:37 PM

The Orlando Sentinel estimate of $100 tickets and 1.5 million passengers by 2018 could be wrong. The Palm Beach Post quotes 3.29 million passengers by the same date, with the same $145 million figure as revenue. I'd expect them to at least be competitive with airline fares between the two regions. A quick trip to Orbitz.com indicates the cheapest flight between Miami and Orlando is roughly $88 one way. Start checking luggage and there's no telling what that number balloons too.

Quote:

All Aboard Florida’s research indicated the rail line should build up to 3.29 million riders by 2018 and generate $145 million, according to the company’s proposal.
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/bu...tion-fr/nTZ6r/

Jonboy1983 Dec 30, 2012 8:43 PM

Quote:

Are you serious?

Considering the following posts, I'd say it's pretty reasonable and competitive...

eleven=11 Dec 30, 2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquablue (Post 5953227)
That is pathetic for what is basically low speed rail.:uhh:

low speed/high speed , who cares...
this is not china or france or japan or spain or germany or.......
id pay $50 easy for miami/orlando

is there any new info on the ft lauderdale Wave Train?
just asking cause it puts people onto the All Aboard station....

aquablue Dec 30, 2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleven=11 (Post 5954022)
low speed/high speed , who cares...
this is not china or france or japan or spain or germany or.......
id pay $50 easy for miami/orlando

is there any new info on the ft lauderdale Wave Train?
just asking cause it puts people onto the All Aboard station....

So you prefer to pay more and get worse service than France, Japan, Spain, Germany, etc? You have a good positive attitude and the rail service is a good start, but I can't help comparing this to other countries, sorry.

Lakelander Dec 31, 2012 12:21 AM

This is Florida. We don't really care what's happening in France and Germany. I personally could care less about doing something to simply be a "trendsetter" for the US, if it doesn't make financial sense. I'm totally fine with these guys spending their cash to build and operate a traditional intercity rail system to basically support TOD on the real estate they own along their tracks. A century ago, this strategy made Henry Flagler millions. I'm glad to see this rail company attempt to return to their roots.

Lakelander Dec 31, 2012 1:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleven=11 (Post 5954022)
is there any new info on the ft lauderdale Wave Train? just asking cause it puts people onto the All Aboard station....

Still on pace to open in early 2015 along with All Aboard Florida.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

N830MH Dec 31, 2012 4:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electricron (Post 5953690)
You'd pay $18 in tolls on the Florida Turnpike between Orlando and Miami, and that's before buying the gas. At around 240 miles, assuming you average 24 mpg on a highway, that 10 gallons, and at $4 per gallon, that's another $40. Just gas and tolls alone you will spend $58. Spending twice that, and letting someone else do the driving is definitely worth it. :tup:
FEC is in the business of creating profits, they certainly aren't going to charge less than what you can drive it.

Actually, the fuel price has already falling. They won't go back to $4 gallon anymore. You don't want to spent too much money. Just take on Amtrak is a right choice for you. You don't have take a car or if you prefer to take on Greyhound bus.

Lakelander Dec 31, 2012 6:26 AM

Quote:

Currently it will run you $42 to $55 for a one-way, 5 to 7 hour ride on Amtrak between the two cities. On both legs, you'll have to transfer to a bus or another mode of mass transit to get to either city's downtown or airport.

Lakelander Jan 17, 2013 2:05 PM

An update on the monorail that Orlando International Airport is considering building to connect the terminals to All Aboard Florida by 2015.

Quote:

Orlando International Airport moved closer to building a new monorail Wednesday when its board picked a trio of consultants for the $181 million project.

The system, similar to ones already shuttling passengers between the main terminal and the four airsides, could initially serve a new parking garage and train depot by 2015.

Farther in the future, the mile-long, elevated system could act as a ferry to a new, second southern terminal near what is now a parking lot for people waiting for planes to land.
Quote:

If OIA goes ahead with the people mover and garage, it also would be responsible for road and other infrastructure costs of about $78 million. That would bring the project total to nearly $470 million.

Those structures also could serve the second terminal, which has been long discussed at OIA, but frequently postponed because of inconsistent passenger counts. That could cost $1 billion or more.

About 35 million people use OIA annually, and officials say service would begin to deteriorate at 40 million, with lines becoming unmanageable at 45 million to 50 million. OIA could reach 45 million between 2017 and 2022, airport projections indicate.
full article: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,5044032.story

Lakelander Jan 19, 2013 3:24 AM

All Aboard Florida purchases downtown West Palm Beach property for station site:

Quote:

WEST PALM BEACH — All Aboard Florida has acquired more downtown property for a train station with plans for an express rail line from Miami to Orlando just two years away.
More than $4 million has been invested in the Datura and Evernia blocks abutting the Florida East Coast Railway tracks beside Quadrille Boulevard since last fall. All Aboard Florida has identified the location as one of its preferred option for a station in West Palm Beach.
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/bu...ation-f/nTybc/