SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

Beta_Magellan Dec 20, 2010 6:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5098172)
Wow, you seem very knowledgeable for only your second post. :cheers: Welcome to SSP!

Many thanks—although a lot of that knowledge comes from being a long-time lurker. ;)

I think Pace has been trying to improve their image lately—I’ve seen their new paint scheme on the Edens and it looks pretty slick, although I also saw that the bus was stuck in traffic with me, which is not so slick. If metro Chicago upgraded their shoulders for buses and emergency vehicles it would certainly help with this problem, but the research I’ve seen about shoulder-riding buses is that they’re better at retaining passengers than attracting new ones.

Pace is looking into signal priority and improved stops (at wider spacing) along Milwaukee and Cermak between Berwyn and Oak Brook. The latter makes a lot of sense—you go through a couple of denser, highly walkable suburbs to a major employment center only a couple of miles away—but I can’t think of any other corridors are as lucky geographically. Niles wants to couple bus improvements with pedestrian improvement and redevelopment along Milwaukee, but though you have to give them credit for leveraging a pretty small investment in transit for all they can, in the end it will still probably lead to a marginal improvement in transit ridership.

Still, I wonder if the lines in inner-ring suburbs could be marketed as a “frequent network” with minimum frequencies of fifteen minutes, limited stops (quarter-to-half-mile spacing in most cases), and on some corridors signal priority. Since the grid’s pretty strong in the older suburbs, it would be fairly legible and could serve as an improved feeder to Metra and the outlying CTA stations. And even though its riderhsip would be weak by Chicago standards, it might be on-par with systems in mid-sized cities. I wonder…

BVictor1 Dec 27, 2010 3:21 PM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...7521354.column

Change of direction for Wacker project
North-south rehab will be more focused than east-west reconstruction

Jon Hilkevitch
Getting Around
9:42 p.m. CST, December 26, 2010

[QUOTE]People who drive, walk, ride a bus or pedal a bicycle in downtown Chicago might want to mark December 2012 on their calendar as the completion date for the next Wacker Drive reconstruction project.

But before you do that, make a big red circle around Monday, Jan. 3, and maybe add a few exclamation points or scribble an unhappy face.

Picking up where the last Wacker project left off eight years ago, demolition will begin in one week, weather permitting, to rebuild the 55-year-old section of Upper and Lower Wacker from Randolph to Monroe streets, according to the Chicago Department of Transportation./QUOTE]

brickhugger Dec 28, 2010 6:48 PM

Chicago Proposal

Jumping in for the first time here, but hopefully not the last.

Here is my proposal:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_yxxaxxHmgH.../s1600/cta.jpg

(Apologies for the quality: I'm having issues with adobe right now).

Key points:
1) I split off the Circle line from a new line on Western, that turns east on Howard and runs to Howard and Sheridan. I think trying to combine them creates the worst of both worlds.
2) A new subway aunder Cicero, from Old Orchard to Blue Island.
3) A much smaller Circle line (North Ave, Michigan, Cermak, and Halsted), that serves the high density core.
4) East-west shuttles from Halsted to the Lake on Chicago, Grand, Monroe, Cermak, and Roosevelt. The goal is that most (if not all) of the core is within 1/4 mile walk of a subway station.
5) Extension of the Green line east and west, and the Brown line west to Jefferson Park.
6) New east-west subways on Fullerton, 47th (east from Western), and 86th Street.
7) COnstruction of a high-speed rail express between the Loop (Block 37 station), O'Hare, and Midway (with a possible transfer station at Jefferson Park).
8) transfer stations at all connection points between CTA and Metra, starting with the Davis Street Station in Evanston.

This is not a cheap proposal(!), but it has the benefit of flexibility; lines can be easily(!!) added as money and interest permit. Even if just(!) the two main north-south lines and the circle line were built a significant portion of the City would be significantly better served by rail transit.

There are some other improvements that could be made, if money is no object :jester: :

--Put the existing elevated lines underground
--Put a roof and walls around the highway stations, with sliding doors to the trains. those stations could be heated/cooled as weather permits
--A superstation at Monroe and the River, combining the Monroe Shuttle, Amtrak, and Metra. It would be a 1 block walk in either direction from the shuttle to the other trains, but it would be underground and heated, and would be the one link between the three downtown.
--I suppose a north south line could be built on Austin from the Blue line station to the north city limits.

Ok; my two cents worth. critique away! :whip:

OhioGuy Dec 30, 2010 4:38 AM

Chicago's transportation infrastructure weakening

Next mayor faces challenges for funds for CTA, O'Hare, roads

By Jon Hilkevitch, TRIBUNE REPORTER
5:23 p.m. CST, December 23, 2010

Quote:

Wacker Drive near Lake Street in downtown Chicago offers a panorama of an incredible transportation metropolis that huge numbers of people rely upon every day, yet often take for granted.

Cars, buses, trucks, taxis, bicyclists and pedestrians use both levels of Wacker to crisscross the downtown. Water taxis and other boats do the same by plying the Chicago River under a series of elegant drawbridges that accommodate vehicle and foot traffic.

CTA trains cross the Lake Street elevated rail bridge over the river, and trains circle the Loop tracks before fanning out across the city and into neighboring suburbs. Where the river bends south, Metra commuter and Amtrak long-distance trains can be seen crossing Clinton Street as they enter and leave downtown train terminals.

Above it all, airliners serving two uniquely different Chicago airports paint contrails over the Windy City skyline. Just out of view to the west are some of the busiest expressways in the U.S. and miles of railroad tracks used by more than 500 freight trains a day operating through the city.

The mayors of many big cities, and presumably the candidates vying to become Chicago's next mayor, would crave the opportunity to preside over the rich variety of transportation assets found in Chicago. But on closer inspection, they would be worried that so much of the aging infrastructure here — from roads and bridges to the CTA — is deteriorating rapidly. The public funding available isn't nearly enough to maintain a state of good repair, let alone expand the transportation system to improve traffic flow, make Chicago more attractive to businesses and nurture an intangible that defines a great city: livability, transportation experts say.

i_am_hydrogen Dec 30, 2010 8:53 PM

CTA to test train tracker in January

By: Lorene Yue December 30, 2010

(Crain's) — The Chicago Transit Authority is launching a test of its train tracking system next month.

The system will give arrival times at all 144 el stations via a website. Riders choose one of the eight rail lines and then a specific station to find trains arriving within a 15-minute window.

Read more: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...#axzz19d9X101i

Steely Dan Dec 30, 2010 11:28 PM

^ can't wait. i absolutely adore bus tracker. i've found it to be reliably accurate and it has been extremely helpful in those "should i wait for a bus or just hop in a cab" situations. train tracker will hopefully do just the same.

spyguy Dec 31, 2010 4:29 PM

http://www.chicagonewscoop.org/renov...after-2-years/

Renovated L Platforms Require Costly Repairs as Wood Planks Deteriorate After 2 Years
By PATRICK REHKAMP and ROBERT HERGUTH December 30, 2010

Wooden L platforms that were rebuilt over the past few years as part of the $530 million Brown Line renovation are already deteriorating at some stations.

Officials with the Chicago Transit Authority began noticing the decaying wood in August 2008 — two years after the first stations were completed, the C.T.A. said.

Since then, about $300,000 has been spent replacing an estimated 10,000 square feet of Southern yellow pine decking at eight Brown Line stations — Chicago, Sedgwick, Armitage, Diversey, Montrose, Rockwell, Francisco and Kedzie — according to records and interviews.

Nowhereman1280 Dec 31, 2010 4:33 PM

What did they not use pressure treated wood?

Busy Bee Dec 31, 2010 11:31 PM

Why are they still using wood at all? Forget purity, who cares if the decking is a composite that will actually last?

ardecila Jan 1, 2011 3:42 AM

I'm not quite sure. Wood is historically used for the platforms. It can also last a very long time.

My guess is that pine was the cheapest option - plus, it's been used successfully on many other stations. Cedar would have been great, but it's more expensive. Same goes for composites like Trex or Azek.

Mr Downtown Jan 1, 2011 8:40 PM

Wood, I think, has the best traction under ice and snow without needing the structural support required for concrete.

Baronvonellis Jan 3, 2011 11:47 PM

Chicago Sucks!!! Here's an idea why don't they not ticket my car for being in one spot for more than 7 days. No, it's not abandoned I just went on vacation for 10 days and I don't have a garage to park it in. Then they give me tickets for it being more than 12 inches from the curb which it wasn't. It was right against the curb. Then they send me a letter in the mail saying that since I abandoned my car would I like to give them my title to it as well so they can junk it. How about not giving out harassing tickets to tax paying citizens of the city. I had current registration and city stickers and was parked in a legal spot.

This was the worst welcome home I can get. I am seriously thinking about moving to Florida now to get away from all this Chicago BS.

the urban politician Jan 4, 2011 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baronvonellis (Post 5112713)
Chicago Sucks!!! Here's an idea why don't they not ticket my car for being in one spot for more than 7 days. No, it's not abandoned I just went on vacation for 10 days and I don't have a garage to park it in. Then they give me tickets for it being more than 12 inches from the curb which it wasn't. It was right against the curb. Then they send me a letter in the mail saying that since I abandoned my car would I like to give them my title to it as well so they can junk it. How about not giving out harassing tickets to tax paying citizens of the city. I had current registration and city stickers and was parked in a legal spot.

This was the worst welcome home I can get. I am seriously thinking about moving to Florida now to get away from all this Chicago BS.

^ Are you sure that they don't require the curb to be clear a few hours per week for street cleaning?

I would definitely contest any tickets if you think their claims are false. Yeah, I can imagine why you'd be annoyed.

Keeping a car in a big city is a hassle. That's something one has to accept. If the inconveniences of car ownership are enough to make you move to Florida, then you really should consider leaving.

pip Jan 4, 2011 12:22 AM

Quote:

the reason i moved away from Boston was the time the price vehicle registration went up annually by $3.

Haworthia Jan 4, 2011 1:41 AM

^^^^ It's rough parking on the street, no denying it. I've payed my fair share of tickets, including two $50 tickets within 25 minutes of each other. I was parked when they were scheduled to do street cleaning. I was lucky I moved my car before they could tow it which would have happened with ticket # three. If I ever live within the city limits again, I'll either give up having a car or pay for a permanent spot. Definitely incentive to take public transit.

Hope you can fight some of those tickets.

ChiTownCity Jan 4, 2011 2:00 AM

^I just park in the garage....

VivaLFuego Jan 4, 2011 3:01 PM

Quote:

It stinks, but if it makes you feel better, basically every big city has abandoned vehicle laws, some even stricter than Chicago's (like 2-3 days) --- the difference is lackluster enforcement, and Chicago's budget situation has provided incentive the past couple years to be incredibly stringent about any and all possible parking violations. A few years ago it generally wasn't an issue to leave a car for weeks at a time on the street, but the last year it's gotten much tougher, especially if you're in a high visibility area.

Baronvonellis Jan 5, 2011 2:35 AM

I'm definitely going to fight them. I knew about the law but last year I parked in the same spot for 10 days over Christmas time and they didn't bother it then. This time though it was covered in a mountain of snow so it was much more noticeable. The same cop wrote all the tickets I got. So, I'm sure he saw it there everyday.

I didn't know they were so strict with the abandoned vehicle law. I could see if it was there for a month, but 7 days isn't that long. Perhaps a warning after 7 days. Do you think I have a chance to contest it? I wasn't abandoning it. I was just gone on vacation for a few days. I don't have a garage. My landlord doesn't want people parking cars behind our building for some reason.

ardecila Jan 5, 2011 4:26 AM

I went past the Oakton station site in Skokie today. No pictures, but there were several crews out doing utility relocation and so forth.

They're also pouring the curb bumpouts for the stationhouse and auxiliary entrance at Morgan.

OhioGuy Jan 5, 2011 6:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5114114)
I went past the Oakton station site in Skokie today. No pictures, but there were several crews out doing utility relocation and so forth.

They're also pouring the curb bumpouts for the stationhouse and auxiliary entrance at Morgan.

Finally some news that the station construction is actually moving forward. I was looking on the CTA's website about a month or two ago in search of any updated information on the station, but I wasn't able to find anything new. Same for Village of Skokie's website. The Chinese can probably build 1000 km of high speed rail in less time than it's taken to get the Oakton station rebuilt.

OhioGuy Jan 5, 2011 7:01 PM

^^ Having said that, I now was able to locate a PDF news release on Skokie's website dating from October 14th.

Quote:

October 14, 2010
For Immediate Release
Public Information Division

Construction Begins for the Yellow Line Oakton Street Station

Construction began this week on the CTA Yellow Line Oakton Street Station in Downtown Skokie. Construction of the “Kiss ‘n Ride” facility is expected to be complete in late fall 2011, and the Chicago Transit Authority estimates some 1,200 boardings will occur at the stop each day.

The station will cost approximately $20 million to construct, with the Village of Skokie funding $6 million and an additional $14 million coming from federal funds. The new station is adjacent to the Illinois Science + Technology Park (IS+TP) in Downtown Skokie. The new station is anticipated to increase the
attractiveness of the IS+TP by directly connecting Downtown Skokie and
Chicago.
Two renderings of the station (PDF)

Haworthia Jan 5, 2011 7:21 PM

Speaking of station construction, anyone know anything about a Morgan St. station for the Greenline? Has anything started yet?

Beta_Magellan Jan 5, 2011 8:10 PM

Can’t say I care much for the Oakton Station (though I do like the black-on-yellow signage)—I’d like something crisp and modern would work better at that site—I’m imagining something like the renovated Dan Ryan stations, but at grade level. The station also looks awfully big for something to only needs to berth two-car trains. Oh well, I can’t stand most Metra stations’ cutesy architecture either.

It’s good to hear they’re getting some work done—I would imagine utility relocation would be a big deal for any work on the Yellow Line. There’s often so much invisible work to be done in any major public work—our agencies really should do a better job of explaining to the public what’s going on and why, so the impression that nothing ever happens (which was my first reaction while passing Oakton a few months ago) can be avoided.

chiguy123 Jan 5, 2011 8:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haworthia (Post 5114710)
Speaking of station construction, anyone know anything about a Morgan St. station for the Greenline? Has anything started yet?

Yes. They have the street closed off and a rendering on Morgan.

Who else is excited about the bus only lanes through the loop? I think those are supposed to be started early this year. I know when I took the #56 out of the west loop from old job to Wicker Park it was a complete madhouse on Madison during rush hour. A dedicated bus lane should definitely help.

lawfin Jan 5, 2011 9:31 PM

I've got no problem with the higher rates downtown...but this is nonsense

Man Gets Ticket While Paying $5 For One Hour Of Parking Downtown (VIDEO)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_804807.html

the urban politician Jan 5, 2011 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawfin (Post 5114838)
I've got no problem with the higher rates downtown...but this is nonsense

Man Gets Ticket While Paying $5 For One Hour Of Parking Downtown (VIDEO)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_804807.html

^ Ugh.... I'd be pissed if I was that guy

ardecila Jan 5, 2011 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiguy123 (Post 5114792)
Who else is excited about the bus only lanes through the loop? I think those are supposed to be started early this year. I know when I took the #56 out of the west loop from old job to Wicker Park it was a complete madhouse on Madison during rush hour. A dedicated bus lane should definitely help.

The design will be started early this year for the "Central Transitway" and the Jeffrey bus lanes. There's no word on when construction will start, though.

Mr Downtown Jan 9, 2011 5:16 PM

Train Tracker is live.

Red/Purple Modernization project has a website (and a logo). Scoping meetings to be held the last week of January in four North Lakefront locations.

Thundertubs Jan 10, 2011 3:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 5119370)
Train Tracker is live.

Does anyone know if it is available for smartphones yet? I looked on the Droid market, but did not find.

Haworthia Jan 10, 2011 4:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thundertubs (Post 5119984)
Does anyone know if it is available for smartphones yet? I looked on the Droid market, but did not find.

I don't think there are any specific apps for the train tracker, but I suggest checking out the website CTA Tattler, which has a review of the tracker.
http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/cta-...ta-review.html

Hope that's helpful.

emathias Jan 10, 2011 2:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thundertubs (Post 5119984)

CTA hasn't made the data available to developers yet. The developer for TreKing has previously promised to incorporate the rail data as soon as it's available, though.

Until then, there is a mobile website. I have a link for it from the main screen on my android phone (G2).

M II A II R II K Jan 10, 2011 6:20 PM

City exploring slimmer, trimmer roads

January 9, 2011

Jon Hilkevitch

http://www.chicagotribune.com/images/logoSmall.png

Read More: http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...,377920.column

Quote:

Like a bulging waistline, Chicago streets have gotten fat over the years, growing wider from curb to curb to handle more vehicles. With that additional girth, traffic-related dangers have expanded, too, especially for pedestrians and transit riders trying to cross busy streets and bicyclists sharing the road with cars and trucks. Sidewalks, meanwhile, often have been narrowed to accommodate more traffic lanes.

The unfortunate upshot is that the high priority placed on accommodating vehicles over other forms of transportation has in many cases backfired. The extra lanes have produced, at best, only short-term improvements in traffic flow due to the ever-increasing number of vehicles.

But a more inclusive approach to traffic management is starting to take root here, as city transportation officials prepare to launch the largest local experiment of its kind to slim down streets. It's called a "road diet." The battle of the bulge will be waged on an approximately one-mile stretch of Lawrence Avenue in the Lincoln Square neighborhood.

The existing four lanes on Lawrence (two lanes in each direction) between Western and Ashland avenues will be trimmed to three vehicle lanes — a single lane in each direction with a center continuous left-turn lane, according to the design under way at the Chicago Department of Transportation.

Removing one lane in each direction will make room for wider sidewalks to foster a more welcoming experience for pedestrians. In addition, a designated bike lane in each direction will be striped. In-street islands will be built along crosswalks to create a safe haven for people crossing streets. Other amenities will be added, including more than 150 trees, better lighting, benches and even enough space for sidewalk cafes, officials said.

It creates a picture of a place where people would want to shop and enjoy a good meal, instead of dart through as fast as possible, and a possible template for similar projects elsewhere in the city, officials said.

"The changes planned for Lawrence will help the development of more street life and make that section a place that pedestrians want to be," said Luann Hamilton, a deputy transportation commissioner responsible for creating new projects. "Now Lawrence has a cold feel to it, unlike the atmosphere around Lincoln Square where Lawrence intersects Western."

Construction of the new streetscape could begin as early as next year, pending funding from the city, state and federal governments, officials said. Elements of the road-diet concept have been used at about 10 other locations across the city, mainly on neighborhood streets rather than a major arterial such as Lawrence.

Busy Bee Jan 10, 2011 8:52 PM

Great news! Chicago's streets need to be rethought for the 21st century.

Steely Dan Jan 11, 2011 2:38 PM

I'M IN LOVE WITH TRAIN TRACKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i took the train this morning instead of my bike due to the weather, and i can't tell you how nice it is to know when then next purple line train is gonna arrive because sometimes it seems like the gap between trains can stretch up to 25 minutes when the CTA is up to it's usual tricks of totally fucking up everything that it does.

well, at least they got train tracker right. kudos, CTA, on a job (rarely) well done!

ardecila Jan 12, 2011 12:45 AM

Riders demanded it and they delivered. I think CTA is fairly responsive to the public on a large scale (although obviously some individual employees are not).

M II A II R II K Jan 12, 2011 12:49 AM

It can be even better if they make their CTA app for mobiles have access to the system to know what train is coming or how long a delay is without having to actually enter the system. In addition to just having pre-planned bus schedules to look up in the app.

Mr Downtown Jan 12, 2011 4:05 PM

^Huh? Train Tracker optimized for mobile devices.

Steely Dan Jan 12, 2011 4:09 PM

^ yeah, i've had no problems using train or bus tracker with my i-phone. well, not any problems beyond AT&T's truly craptacular service network.

emathias Jan 12, 2011 4:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M II A II R II K (Post 5122413)
It can be even better if they make their CTA app for mobiles have access to the system to know what train is coming or how long a delay is without having to actually enter the system. In addition to just having pre-planned bus schedules to look up in the app.

The CTA doesn't write mobile apps. They provide data feeds and an API for any and all developers to use. As I stated above, the CTA has explicitly said that for this early Beta version, they are not adding the train tracker data to their developer data feeds or API until they have it working smoothly.

And your comment about "just having pre-planned bus schedules" makes no sense, since bus tracker uses live GPS data and not schedules.

Are you sure you know what you're talking about?

M II A II R II K Jan 12, 2011 5:34 PM

My app only has the schedule info for busses, but then there are no bus trackers for our system, subway has them though.

pottebaum Jan 12, 2011 7:24 PM

Indeed! I haven't really used train tracker during the day when wait times are pretty short, but it was definitely useful last weekend at night!

chiguy123 Jan 14, 2011 3:57 PM

From the Tribune:

Ridership with Chicago Transit Authority down less than 1 percent in 2010

CHICAGO (AP) — Chicago Transit Authority officials say ridership was down less than 1 percent in 2010, despite the weak economy and cuts in bus and train service.

The Chicago Tribune reports that the agency gave 516.9 million rides in 2010. That is 4.7 million more than projected for the year, but 0.8 percent less than the year before.

CTA President Richard Rodriguez says the news is encouraging, especially when considering the impact of the recession.

Rodriguez says bus ridership was down 4 percent last year. The agency reduced bus service by 18 percent in 2010 because of budget cuts.

Meanwhile, train ridership was up more than 4 percent. Rail service was cut by 9 percent.

ardecila Jan 15, 2011 4:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 5119370)
Red/Purple Modernization project has a website (and a logo). Scoping meetings to be held the last week of January in four North Lakefront locations.
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/7...ionproject.jpg

There's been a debate about this on the CTA Tattler website. CTA's identified 6 options, ranging from least to most ambitious.

Quote:

1. No Action Alternative: Maintains the status quo. It includes the absolute minimum repairs required to keep the lines functional. This alternative is used as a basis for comparison for the other alternatives.
2. Basic Rehabilitation Alternative: Provides strategic mix of repairs, rehabilitation and replacement for a useful life of 20 years. All stations would receive a basic level of ADA compliance.
3. Basic Rehabilitation with Transfer Stations Alternative: Same as Basic Rehabilitation Alternative plus the addition of transfer stations at Wilson and Loyola.
4. Modernization 4-Track Alternative: Provides modern amenities at station, increases speed of service, includes new transfer stations at Wilson and Loyola and major repairs, reconstruction and new construction would extend the useful life to 60-80 years.
5. Modernization 3-Track Alternative: Similar improvements as Modernization 4-Track Alternative except with 3-tracks in the North Red Line area and no reverse-commute express service. Includes many of the same station amenities with less right-of-way acquisition.
6. Modernization 2-Track Underground Alternative: Similar improvements as Modernization 4-Track Alternative except with a 2-track subway between Belmont and Loyola and a 2-track elevated between Loyola and Howard.
Additional details were given in the comments. Alternatives 4 and 5 would entail a total reconstruction of the decaying solid-fill viaduct as a concrete aerial structure, and possible closures of South Blvd, Foster, Jarvis, Thorndale, and/or Lawrence, in conjunction with the opening of new entrances at nearby stations.

Alternative 6 would build a subway between Belmont and Loyola with a portal just north of Belmont, then running underneath Sheffield/Sheridan to Broadway, then up Broadway to Loyola where it would return to aerial structure. New stations would be built at Addison, Irving Park, Wilson, Foster, Bryn Mawr, Glenlake, and Devon.

I assume cost estimates will be given at the community meetings a week from now. If a two-track subway costs less than a new 4-track elevated, that may be a smart choice. The paring-down of stations and the smoother alignment might result in enough of a speed boost to offset the loss of express service. The life expectancy of an underground concrete subway structure is also extremely long - Chicago won't have to worry about rebuilding the damn thing in another century.

CTA might come up with new alternatives after they receive comments, too. I'd like to see them price out an option with a shorter subway between Belmont and Lawrence to eliminate the Clark Junction conflicts and the dead-man's-curves at Sheridan.

denizen467 Jan 15, 2011 5:55 AM

^ Exciting stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5126800)
If a two-track subway costs less than a new 4-track elevated, that may be a smart choice.

Is that realistically conceivable?

Incidentally, I can't picture riding the el to Wrigley and the climbing out of a subway station ... the elevated station is such a part of the Wrigley environs. Even just the rumble as heard from the ballpark. How about a portal around 3800 North...?

ardecila Jan 15, 2011 6:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 5126855)
Is that realistically conceivable?

Possibly. A 4-track elevated built to modern standards would be enormously wide at stations. The property takings alone could get into the hundreds of millions. What do you do in Edgewater and Rogers Park where there are high-rises or mid-rises directly abutting the tracks?

A TBM-bored subway is relatively inexpensive. The bulk of the cost usually comes from the stations, which are typically done through cut-and-cover method. The cut-and-cover is very expensive in a dense city where you must re-route traffic, move utilities, deny access to adjacent buildings, and prevent the ground from collapsing around the dig site.

Nowadays, though, there are large-bore TBMs where you can fit two tracks and platforms into the round tunnel in a stacked arrangement, avoiding the high cost of cut-and-cover. The platforms exit out to escalators and elevators in a shaft built under a lot next to the street. Conceivably, CTA could even recover some of its costs by partnering with developers to build atop the access shaft.

Here's a graphic from a Barcelona subway currently under construction. The shaft wouldn't be nearly this expansive and the tunnel wouldn't be nearly as deep, but you get the picture (even if you can't read Catalan).

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/9084/barcelonapp.jpg

lawfin Jan 15, 2011 10:21 AM

Perhaps I am misunderstanding...why would they close Lawrence?

IS the subway in addition to the L or is it to replace the L between Belmomt / Loyola

Chicagoguy Jan 15, 2011 4:40 PM

I love this idea...I think it would be nice great to have an extended subway all the way up to Loyola. But I do think it would be weird to be going north on the Redline and to come above ground for 3 stops and then tunnel right back under? If that is the case why not just extend the tunnel to connect with the existing one?

Nowhereman1280 Jan 15, 2011 5:25 PM

If we are getting into talk of building a 2 track elevated and 2 track subway, then we may as well just separate the purple line and the red line and run a subway up Clark from just north of Belmont to Howard. I mean at that point you may as well use it as an oppurtunity to expand the service area of the system. can you imagine how useful it would be to have alternating stops along the current red line ROW and along Clark Street? I mean the new stations they would build along the subway would be perfect for Clark Street:

Addison, Irving Park, Wilson, Foster, Bryn Mawr, Glenlake, and Devon... Those are all almost perfectly placed to service the Clark Street Corridor. They are so perfect it almost makes me think that might be the plan. God can you imagine how awesome Andersonville would be with Subway stops at Foster and Bryn Mawr?

schwerve Jan 15, 2011 5:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5126861)
A TBM-bored subway is relatively inexpensive. The bulk of the cost usually comes from the stations, which are typically done through cut-and-cover method. The cut-and-cover is very expensive in a dense city where you must re-route traffic, move utilities, deny access to adjacent buildings, and prevent the ground from collapsing around the dig site.
[/IMG]

Its my understanding TBMs are a significant disadvantage when dealing with ground which requires significant reinforcement, Chicago's soil being one. The bulk of the machine itself makes reinforcement extremely difficult and thus the operation is slow and unproductive. I say this generally but don't know the particulars of how deep they'd be digging or the exact characteristics of the ground therein.

ardecila Jan 15, 2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 (Post 5127149)
If we are getting into talk of building a 2 track elevated and 2 track subway

No, no... the 2-track subway would replace the elevated completely. The elevated would be torn down afterward.