SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Obadno Sep 3, 2021 4:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 9386095)
3. The residential tower seems like an uber-fantasy. Or at least a concept without much thought. I don't know much about parking garage structures, other than watching them built through the years via this forum, but it doesn't seem like you can just cut out a quarter of a garage and build a new building in its place. They have ramps and grades/slopes and circulation patterns, it seems impossible to just re-route everything and have it still work. I would think a total tear down and rebuild is the only possible way and maybe more cost-effective. :shrug:

That is not the current garage it would be a complete tear down (as it should the garage is hideous) I dont see why its pie in the sky, Id expect an apartment tower to get the go ahead before remodeling half a millions square feet of office space

PHX31 Sep 3, 2021 4:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 9386165)
That is not the current garage it would be a complete tear down (as it should the garage is hideous) I dont see why its pie in the sky, Id expect an apartment tower to get the go ahead before remodeling half a millions square feet of office space

Ah, I guess I just looked at it and thought it was the same garage. Especially considering it's still a block-sized garage with just a corner apt building. If they're building new, which I think they would, I'd think they'd plan more than just 1 building on that whole block. Maybe start out with one gigantic garage (with Chase using it) with 1 building, but design it for multiple future towers on the block like the Link block (I know those are individual buildings with their own garages). The rendering does not appear to even consider more buildings on the block.

CrestedSaguaro Sep 3, 2021 5:06 PM

Leaving Chase as is would not be viable and probably would not attract tenants even with extensive interior renovation. Most people are not high-rise fanatics that want old or vintage. They want useful, new and modern. If Astra gets built (along with Central Station), then Chase has a real problem of trying to attract tenants. This design would upgrade it to a competitive tower.

In it's current form, Chase to me is an OK looking building...from certain views. From other views, it just looks damn odd with the concrete penthouse looming over the office floors. I've never liked this with the tower. This new concept addresses that and it would have a much cleaner look in the skyline without the penthouse appearing to be the focus of the towers' original design. It's also not such a drastic redesign that it's going to age more than the current tower.

After looking at the concepts side by side with the existing tower, it's clear it's a lot more work than just the facade update. The penthouse appears to be widened the same width as the north wing of the tower and there is an additional floor on top of the north wing (it would be awesome if this is a proposed observation deck) that brings it up to level with the penthouse giving the tower a sleeker look. It leaves the east and west wings as-is to leave the feel of the old tower and break up the massing. Also, the triangular edge of the penthouse is shaved off to give it a more modern look.

As for the garage, it appears to be an entirely new garage. I do not see any features of the existing garage in the renderings. I also do not think this is pie-in-the-sky even with the second tower. Remember, the tower is now owned by Vincent Viola, the owner of the Florida Panthers. He has some deep pockets and hopefully someone is guiding him on how to redevelop Chase properly.

PHXFlyer11 Sep 3, 2021 5:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9386212)
Leaving Chase as is would not be viable and probably would not attract tenants even with extensive interior renovation. Most people are not high-rise fanatics that want old or vintage. They want useful, new and modern. If Astra gets built (along with Central Station), then Chase has a real problem of trying to attract tenants. This design would upgrade it to a competitive tower.

In it's current form, Chase to me is an OK looking building...from certain views. From other views, it just looks damn odd with the concrete penthouse looming over the office floors. I've never liked this with the tower. This new concept addresses that and it would have a much cleaner look in the skyline without the penthouse appearing to be the focus of the towers' original design. It's also not such a drastic redesign that it's going to age more than the current tower.

After looking at the concepts side by side with the existing tower, it's clear it's a lot more work than just the facade update. The penthouse appears to be widened the same width as the north wing of the tower and there is an additional floor on top of the north wing (it would be awesome if this is a proposed observation deck) that brings it up to level with the penthouse giving the tower a sleeker look. It leaves the east and west wings as-is to leave the feel of the old tower and break up the massing. Also, the triangular edge of the penthouse is shaved off to give it a more modern look.

As for the garage, it appears to be an entirely new garage. I do not see any features of the existing garage in the renderings. I also do not think this is pie-in-the-sky even with the second tower. Remember, the tower is now owned by Vincent Viola, the owner of the Florida Panthers. He has some deep pockets and hopefully someone is guiding him on how to redevelop Chase properly.

The garage question is an interesting one. If it's new, then why rebuild it basically on the same footprint with a cutout for a building? I'd think there would be much more efficient uses of the land. Build the garage into the tower or multiple towers, or sell the half the land to another developer. It would seem silly to tear it down and build 80% of the exact same thing.

Obadno Sep 3, 2021 5:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 9386238)
The garage question is an interesting one. If it's new, then why rebuild it basically on the same footprint with a cutout for a building? I'd think there would be much more efficient uses of the land. Build the garage into the tower or multiple towers, or sell the half the land to another developer. It would seem silly to tear it down and build 80% of the exact same thing.

Its a much bigger garage than the current one, taller probably would have retail on the first floor and parking for the residential tower as well as chase and public parkin

ChaseM Sep 3, 2021 5:49 PM

Not only do they show an Apple store, but in the interior lobby shot they show an Hermes store, seems like they're targeting upscale luxury brands if true.

YourBuddy Sep 3, 2021 5:50 PM

They probably can’t get rid of half the parking lot while having it serve both towers.

PHX31 Sep 3, 2021 6:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9386212)

Sounds like something someone in the 60s would say about an old pre-war brick building.

I'm not exactly saying you're wrong. But in 20 years when 70s stuff is even more en vouge and now "historic" and having a City with a mix of building styles and distinct age characteristics is preferred, and this renovation is looking generic, I think we'll pine for the look of the original building that once stood as our tallest for 50 years.

biggus diggus Sep 3, 2021 7:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseM (Post 9386264)
they show an Hermes store,

And that's how we know this isn't real life.

combusean Sep 3, 2021 11:26 PM

^ Good catch... usually these renders have such intriguing stores like SIGNAGE and RETAIL.

I can't tell in the render, but are the actual floorplates extended? I think the biggest issue for its office reuse are the fact that the floorplates are too small for modern tech offices and I hope they've addressed it.

biggus diggus Sep 4, 2021 1:05 AM

Guys, I love Hermes. I shop in their boutiques all over the world, great ties and shoes.

They are not opening in downtown phoenix. I'll eat my dirty underwear.

Obadno Sep 4, 2021 1:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 9386713)
Guys, I love Hermes. I shop in their boutiques all over the world, great ties and shoes.

They are not opening in downtown phoenix. I'll eat my dirty underwear.

I dont know why anyone would assume the retail in the rendering is anything besides making it look nice.

That has nothing to do with the possibility of the remodel.

xymox Sep 4, 2021 4:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 9386716)
I dont know why anyone would assume the retail in the rendering is anything besides making it look nice.

That has nothing to do with the possibility of the remodel.

Because they are trademarked. They would probably would get sued if used on a project that wasn't actually being discussed at some level. The wrong project/location could be considered damaging to the brand - especially considering the brands they have here.

Diamonddave Sep 4, 2021 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xymox (Post 9386806)
Because they are trademarked. They would probably would get sued if used on a project that wasn't actually being discussed at some level. The wrong project/location could be considered damaging to the brand - especially considering the brands they have here.

Totally agree with this post. Like someone posted earlier most renderings have Retail or Signage ect.

somethingfast Sep 4, 2021 3:03 PM

possibly maybe someone eating their dirty underwear then ???

exit2lef Sep 4, 2021 4:50 PM

I'm sure someone somewhere has a fetish for eating dirty underwear. For those with expensive tastes, there's even Hermes underwear. It goes best with foie gras and caviar.

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-b...lar-underwear/

PHX06 Sep 9, 2021 4:50 AM

Here PHX is now “700 N 4th Street” and appears to be leasing for October move-ins.

New website is up: https://www.700phx.com

Obadno Sep 9, 2021 3:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX06 (Post 9391057)
Here PHX is now “700 N 4th Street” and appears to be leasing for October move-ins.

New website is up: https://www.700phx.com

Thank god im so sick of everything being called "THE THING"

gymratmanaz Sep 9, 2021 4:01 PM

Unless you are part of the Fantastic Four!!!! - The Thing....sorry, had to!!!!!

az_daniel Sep 14, 2021 10:49 PM

The old auto shop at the NWC of 3rd Street and Osborn was cleared last week and they had surveyors out today working.

Anyone have any insight on what could be going here?