SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

PHX06 Jul 28, 2021 4:33 PM

That Central/1st/McKinley/Fillmore block needs a tower. Just a single tower there would really tie everything together, even if it only a 250-footer. Obviously hoping we get more than that.

CrestedSaguaro Jul 28, 2021 6:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX06 (Post 9352262)
That Central/1st/McKinley/Fillmore block needs a tower. Just a single tower there would really tie everything together, even if it only a 250-footer. Obviously hoping we get more than that.

Are you referring to the fenced off parking lot directly South of Stewart? I've always wondered about that block. I haven't researched it, but who owns it and is there potential for it to be developed or is it just being landbanked for now?

PHX06 Jul 28, 2021 6:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9352343)
Are you referring to the fenced off parking lot directly South of Stewart? I've always wondered about that block. I haven't researched it, but who owns it and is there potential for it to be developed or is it just being landbanked for now?

Oops, I meant the Central/1st St/Fillmore/Pierce parking lot. But now you've got me curious about the one you're mentioning that is south of Stewart. According to county records, it is owned by CENTRAL AND FILLMORE ASSOCIATES LP since 2015.

biggus diggus Jul 28, 2021 6:32 PM

There was talk several years ago about someone developing that block. The group who was touting a possible development unloaded it last year to a local land-banker. Here's their "about us" from glasircapitalpartners.com

"Glasir Capital Partners is a boutique real estate investment company based out of Phoenix Arizona. We specialize in the acquisition and disposition of real estate assets offering deep value added opportunities (distressed debt, REO assets and assets in foreclosure). During the downturn, the company acquired and resold over 1,000+ single family homes and then transitioned into purchasing, repositioning and selling office and multifamily assets around the country. We have recently expanded our scope to include the development, ownership and management of a hybrid single family detached rental product known as "horizontal apartments". The company historically and currently continues to assemble strategic parcels of land which are then entitled and resold to various developers."

The group who owns the parcel directly south of The Stewart is an apartment developer who does primarily senior housing. They also own the Westward Ho. I'll eat my sock if anything significant happens with that parcel in my life time.

combusean Jul 28, 2021 9:01 PM

I think that lot was put up for sale but anybody actually serious about it selling it would take on the risk of remediating it. It has "underground storage tanks" which are probably the buried remains of a speakeasy/distillery and the bowling alley that someday will meet a day of reckoning. I also believe that Glasir is marketing the site along with the C-shaped Schneider and Schneider lots two blocks to the north.

A developer would have to be really gung ho about a big project with a lot of money to spend to take that whole thing on.

CrestedSaguaro Jul 31, 2021 10:39 PM

Banner up on fence for Palmtower. Thinking we could be getting another groundbreaking soon. ;)

https://i.imgur.com/fQkIOhD.jpg

combusean Aug 1, 2021 12:40 AM

Man, I didn't realize this thing just dwarfs the existing towers. Should have a great impact on the skyline.

https://www.nadg.com/property/palm-court-tower/

CrestedSaguaro Aug 1, 2021 1:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 9354803)
Man, I didn't realize this thing just dwarfs the existing towers. Should have a great impact on the skyline.

https://www.nadg.com/property/palm-court-tower/

Unfortunately, they are not using the NADG design. They are still going to use the existing Will Bruder design with a few modifications by Lamar Johnson, but it has not changed much from the original Will Bruder design. The height will be about 297'.

PyroD Aug 1, 2021 1:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9354815)
Unfortunately, they are not using the NADG design. They are still going to use the existing Will Bruder design with a few modifications by Lamar Johnson, but it has not changed much from the original Will Bruder design. The height will be about 297'.

It should still look pretty good in comparison. I believe one and two Arizona Center are 240' and 260'.

Phxguy Aug 1, 2021 1:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PyroD (Post 9354831)
It should still look pretty good in comparison. I believe one and two Arizona Center are 240' and 260'.

Correct, there will be a reasonable difference in comparison to the other two towers. Should make an impression from the freeway.

Classical in Phoenix Aug 1, 2021 6:37 PM

We have been waiting for this one for a long time. Hoping it finally gets started.

Diamonddave Aug 1, 2021 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix (Post 9355097)
We have been waiting for this one for a long time. Hoping it finally gets started.

Yes we have hopefully with this one and Moon tower along with Skye on 6th we can get some new cranes in the air for 3Q.:tup:

PyroD Aug 1, 2021 7:35 PM

Any word on Astra? They were originally looking at a Q3 groundbreaking weren't they?

IndyAZ Aug 1, 2021 7:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PyroD (Post 9355121)
Any word on Astra? They were originally looking at a Q3 groundbreaking weren't they?

It is not expected to break ground this year, I would expect closer to Q1 '22. Central Station is supposed to break ground in the next 2 months, so hopefully that one happens, but we will have to wait and see.

ASU Diablo Aug 1, 2021 8:49 PM

Safe to assume that The Edith (Berger) is dead?

IndyAZ Aug 1, 2021 9:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 9355164)
Safe to assume that The Edith (Berger) is dead?

I was curious about that one too, thought someone mentioned it recently being fenced? Also, thought we would have heard something on McKinley Green too, that should have broken ground or be getting really close, hopefully that is still going forward.

ASU Diablo Aug 1, 2021 9:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyAZ (Post 9355172)
I was curious about that one too, thought someone mentioned it recently being fenced? Also, thought we would have heard something on McKinley Green too, that should have broken ground or be getting really close, hopefully that is still going forward.

Last I read on this one was that there was a rezoning hearing to increase the setback some. Not sure where we are with this one…

Phxguy Aug 2, 2021 3:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 9355176)
Last I read on this one was that there was a rezoning hearing to increase the setback some. Not sure where we are with this one…

They requested a 1-year time extension for the variance filed back in 2019 (ZA-293-21 in case anyone’s interested). ZAHO approved the extension.

PHX31 Aug 2, 2021 4:40 PM

That would be pretty incredible to have all of these towers under construction downtown at the same time next year:

Moontower
Skye
Palm Court
McKinley Green
Astra (tower 1 & 2)
Central Station
The Edith

A couple other long shots as well. Barrister, The Blue, Link Phase 3, etc.

locolife Aug 2, 2021 4:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 9355644)
That would be pretty incredible to have all of these towers under construction downtown at the same time next year:

Moontower
Skye
Palm Court
McKinley Green
Astra (tower 1 & 2)
Central Station
The Edith

A couple other long shots as well. Barrister, The Blue, Link Phase 3, etc.

Fingers crossed, that would be awesome