SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Pedestrian Sep 1, 2021 9:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9383484)
I find his level of fear irrational and unnecessary. It has no basis in science. He’s been vaccinated and wears a mask. Yet is still scared to go anywhere.

That is not virtuous. That is not being “appropriately cautious”. It is pathological. It is his right, of course, but that doesn’t mean that others in his age group are at fault for not following the same path.

I find your assertions about my level of fear entirely imaginary as well as irrational.

I am not scared to go anywhere. You keep saying that but it is entirely untrue and you are simply lying about what you don't know about.

I eat out in restaurants regularly (but I eat outside which is very pleasant here). I travel about my city mostly by Uber or Lyft. I do all my own shopping and live a nearly normal life. About the only thing I don't do that I once might have done is ride public transit. I used to get sick a lot with common colds and other airborne illnesses when I did rode it regularly and in the era of covid I am sure it is a disease vector of covid as it was of the other viruses before.

What you really don't like is my pointing out how much your opinions conflict with the recommendations of the nation's medical and scientific experts and my suggestion that you really are out on a scientific limb belittling those who take reasonable precautions not to catch this disease.

Pedestrian Sep 1, 2021 9:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9383692)
As do I but as long as people like him aren't setting policy, he's free to be as risk adverse all he wants.

Actually people like me ARE setting policy. It is urban politician who is the outlier; so much so that I question his medical credentials. He hardly even seems to believe in germs.

I pretty much behave and recommend behavior exactly as the CDC and NIAID recommend. It is urban political who belittles wearing masks even indoors. About the only measure he seems to approve of is vaccination when people like Tony Fauci (and me) keep advising that prevention is a multi-layered effort with vaccines being the foundation but masks indoors and avoidance of high risk activities (like a crowded San Francisco bus) being others.

the urban politician Sep 1, 2021 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9384091)
Actually people like me ARE setting policy. It is urban politician who is the outlier; so much so that I question his medical credentials. He hardly even seems to believe in germs.

I pretty much behave and recommend behavior exactly as the CDC and NIAID recommend. It is urban political who belittles wearing masks even indoors. About the only measure he seems to approve of is vaccination when people like Tony Fauci (and me) keep advising that prevention is a multi-layered effort with vaccines being the foundation but masks indoors and avoidance of high risk activities (like a crowded San Francisco bus) being others.

Not true, I am in favor of indoor masking. I do it nearly always (except when I'm eating or having a drink at a bar). Hell, I'm wearing a mask as I type this.

The difference is that you fail to grasp a post-vaccine world. You don't perceive an end to COVID because you are scared for life. Covid "spooked" you. I see a need to move on. Vaccinate--heck, even get a boost--but sooner or later you have to contend with COVID and accept it as a part of life. You fail to do that, so you are basically a germaphobe, and that is a mental illness.

TWAK Sep 1, 2021 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9384082)
I find your assertions about my level of fear entirely imaginary as well as irrational.

I am not scared to go anywhere. You keep saying that but it is entirely untrue and you are simply lying about what you don't know about.

They also think CA is a totalitarian state, but that's just to get through the door and does not apply to most areas outside the major metro areas.

Quote:

I eat out in restaurants regularly (but I eat outside which is very pleasant here). I travel about my city mostly by Uber or Lyft. I do all my own shopping and live a nearly normal life. About the only thing I don't do that I once might have done is ride public transit. I used to get sick a lot with common colds and other airborne illnesses when I did rode it regularly and in the era of covid I am sure it is a disease vector of covid as it was of the other viruses before.
The worst part is all these people from one metro area are mad at you for something that can harm your age bracket.

Quote:

What you really don't like is my pointing out how much your opinions conflict with the recommendations of the nation's medical and scientific experts and my suggestion that you really are out on a scientific limb belittling those who take reasonable precautions not to catch this disease.
Only one of you sounds like doctor, consistently.
:shhh:

pip Sep 2, 2021 2:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician
Not true, I am in favor of indoor masking. I do it nearly always (except when I'm eating or having a drink at a bar). Hell, I'm wearing a mask as I type this.

The difference is that you fail to grasp a post-vaccine world. You don't perceive an end to COVID because you are scared for life. Covid "spooked" you. I see a need to move on. Vaccinate--heck, even get a boost--but sooner or later you have to contend with COVID and accept it as a part of life. You fail to do that, so you are basically a germaphobe, and that is a mental illness.

you said this a couple of months ago
Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician
Yeah I’ve now been to restaurants, bars, grocery, and even Walgreens without a mask on. In the latter 2 about 90% of people were still masked

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...sk#post9298076

Pedestrian Sep 2, 2021 2:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9384206)

So your critcism boils down to the fact that I think we can relegate this virus to a sporadic one and outbreaks of it to newsworthiness once the majority of the population has some immunity (obtained one way or the other) and because of that disagreement you call me all sorts of names and lie about how I am living and my level of "fear".

What do you gain from that?

mrnyc Sep 2, 2021 3:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9384206)

yes at some point, but we are not there yet. we are not even nearly there. clearly the non-vaxxed are perpetuating the virus and mutations. and pushing our insurance rates through the roof. we will need a lot more vaxxed as a country and around the world to think we will be able to start living with this disease like its the chicken pox or something. the pressure is on to get your vax, so i am hopeful we get there over the winter. :shrug:

mrnyc Sep 2, 2021 3:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil McAvity (Post 9384437)
That's a silly thing to say because what platform do medical professionals have? Not much. I'd never heard of Tony Fauci before covid and i'll bet few of you had either. The media and politicians on the other hand have tremendous influence and they're both wildly irresponsible by ginning up the fear and paranoia over a virus that isn't dangerous. The media do it to sell product, politicians do it for the optics but both are wrong

you know what's dangerous about this virus? it's dangerous to my wallet. i am plenty ... sick ... of paying for idiots who don't get the vax and get sick and make others sick. because make no mistake no matter how no give af careless you are about it you are paying for it. or your parents. just sayin. :slob:

10023 Sep 2, 2021 10:02 AM

Well, I can tell you this - trying to speak or understand someone in a foreign language, that you speak a bit of but are far from fluent in, is damn near next to impossible if you’re both wearing masks and there’s any ambient noise.

I’ve just given up and gone elsewhere multiple times.

10023 Sep 2, 2021 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9382869)
While I don't necessarily agree with Pedestrian's philosophy of 'staying in', keep in mind he is a man in his 70's in a fairly crowded city.

I think we’d all be better off if more people in his age bracket had voluntarily stayed in, especially last year before vaccines.

Florida’s lax approach basically forced old people to do that. If old people in England and Europe had done the same, we might not have needed to go back into lockdown after the summer.

the urban politician Sep 2, 2021 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 9384438)
yes at some point, but we are not there yet. we are not even nearly there. clearly the non-vaxxed are perpetuating the virus and mutations. and pushing our insurance rates through the roof. we will need a lot more vaxxed as a country and around the world to think we will be able to start living with this disease like its the chicken pox or something. the pressure is on to get your vax, so i am hopeful we get there over the winter. :shrug:

There is no “being there” for people like you. Trust me, your rather vague, romantic idea of “being there” won’t happen this winter. Nor in 2022. Or in 2023.

It happens when a switch flips in your brain and you “snap out of it”. That consists of vaccinating, of course, doing some indoor masking for a while longer, but otherwise stop trying to define what the “end of Covid” is.

Once again, there is no end. It’s here forever. We can’t keep perpetually canceling festivals, weddings, avoiding going places, etc over this thing. And we can’t keep using Covid as an excuse to shirk obligations and responsibilities either; sorry, I’ve been around the block a few times and I know what abuse looks like.

eschaton Sep 2, 2021 1:54 PM

Pedestrian is a bit more cautious than I am. I've gone back to using public transit, and eaten indoors at restaurants occasionally. Of course, I'm only 42.

I don't see where people get off as mocking him as paranoid/full of fear, as his posts convey a pretty sober, level-headed emotional state. He's just made a different assessment of what is worth the risk - which is certainly not personally offensive.

iheartthed Sep 2, 2021 2:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaton (Post 9384761)
Pedestrian is a bit more cautious than I am. I've gone back to using public transit, and eaten indoors at restaurants occasionally. Of course, I'm only 42.

I don't see where people get off as mocking him as paranoid/full of fear, as his posts convey a pretty sober, level-headed emotional state. He's just made a different assessment of what is worth the risk - which is certainly not personally offensive.

It's just a certain person who might have some type of personality disorder that's mocking him. That person doesn't seem to respect that people might have an opinion that is different from his own.

SIGSEGV Sep 2, 2021 3:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaton (Post 9384761)

I ride public transit (mostly because I'm too lazy to bike 8 miles to work each day), but won't eat indoors at a restaurant yet. I probably would have in early July when Chicago positivity rate was sub-1%, but alas, I was in Greenland...

10023 Sep 2, 2021 3:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 9384841)
I ride public transit (mostly because I'm too lazy to bike 8 miles to work each day), but won't eat indoors at a restaurant yet. I probably would have in early July when Chicago positivity rate was sub-1%, but alas, I was in Greenland...

Can I ask why though? Honestly.

I assume you are vaccinated. There is a slim chance you can still “get” Covid (ie, would have a positive test result), but a vanishingly small chance that you would have had symptoms, and essentially no chance that you’d have lasting or permanent damage. Is that worth what might well be a permanent change to how you live your life?

SIGSEGV Sep 2, 2021 4:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9384907)
Can I ask why though? Honestly.

I assume you are vaccinated. There is a slim chance you can still “get” Covid (ie, would have a positive test result), but a vanishingly small chance that you would have had symptoms, and essentially no chance that you’d have lasting or permanent damage. Is that worth what might well be a permanent change to how you live your life?

Yes, because I don't want to quarantine (I've already done that enough this year) and my wife is 20 weeks pregnant. Even ignoring any potential health effects on her or the fetus, quarantining while pregnant would really suck (like... how do you get ultrasounds?).

photoLith Sep 2, 2021 4:51 PM

^
How long will you be pointlessly scared of eating indoors? Forever since rona isn’t going anywhere I would assume.

the urban politician Sep 2, 2021 4:55 PM

^ His wife is pregnant, so we gotta cut him some slack.

Pedestrian, on the other hand.......it's just too fun giving him a hard time ;)

You know I'm halfway kidding with you, right Pedestrian? You make it too easy

photoLith Sep 2, 2021 5:02 PM

But I would assume his wife is vaccinated so there is no risk, but the media likes to pretend like there’s a giant risk still to get ad clicks.

JManc Sep 2, 2021 5:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 9384997)
But I would assume his wife is vaccinated so there is no risk, but the media likes to pretend like there’s a giant risk still to get ad clicks.

If my wife were pregnant, we'd be ordering in as much as possible. Why take the risk?