SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Pedestrian Nov 20, 2020 9:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 9112465)
and being its a friday — here is a very sad situation — a ny streetery martini these days — ugh!

In San Francisco a lot of people are all hysterical about Uber/Lyft drivers too busy to use (or unable to find) rest rooms so just leaving jugs of pee all over town.

the urban politician Nov 20, 2020 9:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9112543)
In San Francisco a lot of people are all hysterical about Uber/Lyft drivers too busy to use (or unable to find) rest rooms so just leaving jugs of pee all over town.

Wow, I can so see that happening in SF

:yuck:

mrnyc Nov 21, 2020 1:26 PM

very cute — no corona talk in this rome coffee bar!

https://www.france24.com/en/live-new...ans-virus-talk

iheartthed Nov 21, 2020 4:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest (Post 9113072)
Is san fran the florida of california?

San Francisco would be the New York of California except New Yorkers generally view idiosyncratic behavior as a fact of life in the big city. Listening to the way some people talk on here, every bum taking a shit on a San Francisco sidewalk is the sign of the impending collapse of civilization. In New York that's something you'd forget about by the time you got to the elevator at your office.

Centropolis Nov 21, 2020 5:13 PM

the west coast seems like a weird combination of more tolerance and engagement of it (both ways) combined with more annoyance by it.

but anecdotally california just has way more precariousness/homeless people on the ground it seems.

the urban politician Nov 24, 2020 4:26 AM

I miss being in a cozy, noisy pub with a great tune in the background, good company, and a pint of beer in my hand—with a long evening ahead of me of dining and...well... being around others.

Anybody else relate?

xzmattzx Nov 24, 2020 4:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9113164)
San Francisco would be the New York of California except New Yorkers generally view idiosyncratic behavior as a fact of life in the big city. Listening to the way some people talk on here, every bum taking a shit on a San Francisco sidewalk is the sign of the impending collapse of civilization. In New York that's something you'd forget about by the time you got to the elevator at your office.

You write that like seeing human feces on every street corner is a common sight around the country. It isn't.

JManc Nov 24, 2020 9:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9113164)

Compared to SF, NY (Manhattan at least) is pristine. No comparison.

Acajack Nov 24, 2020 1:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9115195)
I miss being in a cozy, noisy pub with a great tune in the background, good company, and a pint of beer in my hand—with a long evening ahead of me of dining and...well... being around others.

Anybody else relate?

Most definitely. And where I live at least that's verboten until January 11 at least. And has been verboten for the past month or two.

sopas ej Nov 24, 2020 5:35 PM

Where I live, because Los Angeles County's COVID-19 infections have been spiking, the County health department has ordered that even outdoor dining at restaurants is prohibited beginning tomorrow at 10pm, through at least December 21st; only takeout, deliveries and drive-thru will be allowed.

However, because the City of Pasadena has its own health department, the Pasadena City Council has decided to still allow outdoor dining at its restaurants... so at least my partner and I still have an option.

A bit of background; in California, health departments are a County entity. However, 3 cities in LA County (Pasadena, Long Beach and Vernon) and one city in the Bay Area (Berkeley) have their own health departments.

From the LA Times:

Link: Pasadena will allow outdoor dining to continue despite L.A. County health order

https://ca-times.brightspotcdn.com/d...irus-05.FO.jpg
Patrons enjoy dinner outside Perle Restaurant in Pasadena. The City Council will not halt outdoor dining on Wednesday. Pasadena has its own public health department. (Francine Orr/Los Angeles Times)

Yuri Nov 24, 2020 10:14 PM

The second wave is already forming in São Paulo and in a country as a whole.

Moving daily average is still at 400-500 deaths, but the number of daily cases skyrocketed in the past ten days. As in the beginning, it's reaching the upper classes firstly and many of those upscale hospitals are close to be out of room.

I don't think the city will stop again as people can't take it anymore.

iheartthed Nov 24, 2020 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9115251)
Compared to SF, NY (Manhattan at least) is pristine. No comparison.

Nah, SF is much cleaner than Manhattan. I'm actually surprised that anyone would say otherwise.

Acajack Nov 25, 2020 2:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9116015)
Nah, SF is much cleaner than Manhattan. I'm actually surprised that anyone would say otherwise.

I have to agree with JManc. Certainly pre-COVID NYC was definitely more orderly in terms of scatological and psychological weirdness than SF was. At least in the more visible heavily-trafficked areas.

Of course we don't know what awaits us in the post-COVID world.

JManc Nov 25, 2020 6:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9116015)

Because it is. SF is full of litter everywhere and while NY is noted for overflowing trash cans along the street, it's cleaner and better maintained.

iheartthed Nov 25, 2020 6:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9116691)
Because it is. SF is full of litter everywhere and while NY is noted for overflowing trash cans along the street, it's cleaner and better maintained.

I guess to each their own. This is anecdotal, but I don't think I've ever even seen a rat in SF in all the times I've been there. But I've had so many rats run across my feet in Manhattan that I won't even wear open shoes there.

homebucket Nov 25, 2020 7:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9116718)
I guess to each their own. This is anecdotal, but I don't think I've ever even seen a rat in SF in all the times I've been there. But I've had so many rats run across my feet in Manhattan that I won't even wear open shoes there.

I imagine SF has more human feces laying about. As far as rats, maybe there are less coyotes in Manhattan to control the rat population? Are there any natural predators there?

PersonOfInterest Nov 25, 2020 7:16 PM

Lets just agree chicago kicks them both in the teeth on this topic.

JManc Nov 25, 2020 7:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebucket (Post 9116756)
I imagine SF has more human feces laying about. As far as rats, maybe there are less coyotes in Manhattan to control the rat population? Are there any natural predators there?

They do have coyotes but nothing like SF. Also hawks, owls, cats, etc.

iheartthed Nov 25, 2020 7:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebucket (Post 9116756)

There are hawks and some raccoons, but otherwise there's nowhere for a big terrestrial predator to live in Manhattan since the human population is so dense.

Does SF still have any ghettos other than what's left of the Tenderloin? Manhattan still has legit ghettos, too.

homebucket Nov 25, 2020 9:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9116778)
There are hawks and some raccoons, but otherwise there's nowhere for a big terrestrial predator to live in Manhattan since the human population is so dense.

Does SF still have any ghettos other than what's left of the Tenderloin? Manhattan still has legit ghettos, too.

Not downtown, although you could make an argument for Chinatown. Outside of the downtown core, there is Bayview-Hunters Point near where Candlestick Park used to be.