SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | NEMA Chicago | 896 FT | 81 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218570)

ithakas Sep 23, 2015 7:08 PM

I'd be interested in seeing one of the twins flipped on the N-S axis to reveal more of the bundled tubes to the north and provide more depth on the Roosevelt street wall, as well as more variation in the base.

Jim in Chicago Sep 23, 2015 7:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Servo (Post 7174434)
Anyone with concerns about this tower's design looking "70s" or whatever needs to go take a look at 432 Park Avenue in New York City. It's really beautiful. Or go take a look at the buildings they've done down in Hyde Park at the University.

Vinoly does solid work.

http://www.rvapc.com/images-producti...29_tmp19BE.jpg
www.rvapc.com

That being said, I'm looking at this gigantic twin tower design and thinking, no way. No fucking way. I just don't see it ever happening. Not in Chicago. Not in the South Loop with all those NIMBY blowhards that will kill this thing... but here's to hoping! :cheers:

Given the address on Park Avenue and the prices units get in NYC, there's no way anything that looks like that will be built in Chicago. The PPSQ must be through the roof.

ChiTownWonder Sep 23, 2015 7:24 PM

Quote:

Anyone with concerns about this tower's design looking "70s" or whatever needs to go take a look at 432 Park Avenue in New York City. It's really beautiful. Or go take a look at the buildings they've done down in Hyde Park at the University.

Vinoly does solid work.

http://www.rvapc.com/images-producti...29_tmp19BE.jpg
www.rvapc.com

That being said, I'm looking at this gigantic twin tower design and thinking, no way. No fucking way. I just don't see it ever happening. Not in Chicago. Not in the South Loop with all those NIMBY blowhards that will kill this thing... but here's to hoping! :cheers:

Very cool design here, looks like 60-80s style boxes that have been modernized

spyguy Sep 23, 2015 7:36 PM

I don't know what's going to happen with Phase 2, but let's also keep in mind that Crescent Heights isn't a small, inexperienced developer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 7173761)

The south wall of Grant Park just told the world to go blow itself. But I'm worried about the shadows over the park. Mr. D, can you wipe that dust off your shadow study software and show us some diagrams?

Not going to be a problem with Vinoly: Exhibits A and B :cool:

And yes we definitely dodged a bullet with that gimmicky P/H design.

Jibba Sep 23, 2015 7:37 PM

Quote:

Vinoly does solid work.

Those office towers look kinda hack to me. A bunch of design gizmos thrown onto otherwise ordinary boxes with Lego block proportions. Not a lot of harmony there. The facade treatment of the tower in the foreground is nice enough. Wish it wasn't broken up so coarsely with those reveals. Makes me wary of the treatment of the terraces and parking garage for the Grant Park towers.

The U of C business school is great, though. And it's a nice nod to Robie House, intentionally or not.

But good riddance to that P/H pile of nonsense.

wierdaaron Sep 23, 2015 7:55 PM

I don't think shadows over the park will be an issue. The sun would be north of it for most of the year.

Tom Servo Sep 23, 2015 7:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy (Post 7174587)
And yes we definitely dodged a bullet with that gimmicky P/H design.

God. No fucking shit. :cool: :cheers:

http://i.imgur.com/APnrJKjl.jpg

Oh, I just noticed: more bars in more places?
http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/f...7/morebars.jpg

lol

DCReid Sep 23, 2015 9:07 PM

The design is certianly interesting. However, I have mixed feeling with Chicago adding all of those tall buildings along the lakefront. I especially think the view to the north coming from the south has been messed up with the addition of the BlueCross Blue Shield and the apartment buildings built in the early 2000's.

intrepidDesign Sep 23, 2015 9:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCReid (Post 7174698)
The design is certianly interesting. However, I have mixed feeling with Chicago adding all of those tall buildings along the lakefront. I especially think the view to the north coming from the south has been messed up with the addition of the BlueCross Blue Shield and the apartment buildings built in the early 2000's.

:shrug: Views aren't guaranteed, how many times must it be said?? I swear sometimes I think people just want the city to be frozen in time at the absolute moment they bought their condo.

VKChaz Sep 23, 2015 9:59 PM

I suppose any tower on Grant Park is prominent, but it feels to me like a twin tower would work better asthetically alongside the Park rather than at a corner - somewhat like The Eldorado on Central Park West feels 'centered.' It might be better if the second tower was build first to ensure that the corner of the park is 'anchored' with an important building.

Ryanrule Sep 23, 2015 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCReid (Post 7174698)

you are thinking regressively.

towers by lake too tall? BUILD BIGGER ONES BEHIND THEM!

also, keep those feelings out of any neighborhood meetings.

wierdaaron Sep 23, 2015 11:12 PM

There's only one place in this town where views are guaranteed, and I hear they're going to build an 862' apartment tower on top of it.

Proportionality concerns can be valid, but I think Grant Park really wants to be enveloped. Holes in the park wall make me sad.

Domer2019 Sep 23, 2015 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wierdaaron (Post 7174860)
There's only one place in this town where views are guaranteed, and I hear they're going to build an 862' apartment tower on top of it.

Proportionality concerns can be valid, but I think Grant Park really wants to be enveloped. Holes in the park wall make me sad.

Maybe people don't want to hear about NY, but I hear their park is completely enveloped, and will soon get a few supertalls at or near its wall...

Just sayin' - advantage Chicago, when it comes to having a lake on one side, and that building the Grant Wall of CHIna isn't such a bad thing. :)

LaSalle.St.Station Sep 24, 2015 3:17 AM

I love the subtle design nod to the old IC Station that once stood there.

BVictor1 Sep 24, 2015 3:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaSalle.St.Station (Post 7175126)

Which was probably accidental.

brian_b Sep 24, 2015 4:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaSalle.St.Station (Post 7175126)

Any chance you could clue me in on that?

BVictor1 Sep 24, 2015 4:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian_b (Post 7175173)
Any chance you could clue me in on that?

http://images.photo1.walgreens.com/2...93%3B324nu0mrjhttps://www.cardcow.com/images/set48/card00349_fr.jpg

Busy Bee Sep 24, 2015 4:46 AM

Not getting the connection. The old Central Station was a grand old building and one I see little to no connection with this new tower.

TallBob Sep 24, 2015 4:47 AM

Looks to be taller than 900' if you ask me!

BVictor1 Sep 24, 2015 5:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TallBob (Post 7175225)
Looks to be taller than 900' if you ask me!

Perception and perspective can play hella tricks on the eye.

One Museum Park is about 730' and The Grant (One Museum Park West) is about 590'.

The northeastern most setback of this new proposal seems to align with the crown of OMP. The central setback is about 6 floors higher and the west setback is 4 floors higher than that. The back tube rises about 5 more floors with some type of element.

OMP is 62-65 floors and this proposal is 76.

We'll get the exact height eventually.

denizen467 Sep 24, 2015 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 7174034)
Lol, have you ever seen a smokestack? They aren't square, they aren't made of multiple vertical segments, and they don't have setbacks... In short, other than these being tall, slim, structures, they have absolutely nothing in common with smokestacks.

You've missed the plot. It's not the tower; it's the protruding section (the tallest "tubes") that evokes the smokestack. It doesn't help that this portion is tucked in the back side of the building, just where a smokestack would be. Then there are the trellis things; they look exactly like chimney caps (just do a quick image search of that term and it's frighteningly uncanny).

Sadly, a particular shape or form need not be exactly replicated in order for imagery to be successfully evoked. (At the Art Institute it's plain that the Impressionists figured that out over a century ago.) So, even if the fallacious assertion that smokestacks cannot be square were true, it would be a non starter.

Not to belabor the point however. I don't consider this the dominant impression made by the tower. Just that it can't be overlooked; some people will be reading it that way, and dollars to donuts that some NY or east coast writer one day will refer to it that way as they take pleasure in reducing our city to blue collar cliches.
Quote:

Anyone with concerns about this tower's design looking "70s" or whatever needs to go take a look at 432 Park Avenue in New York City. It's really beautiful.

But this doesn't have the extreme seventies simplicity of 432 (as to massing). And as someone else pointed out, it doesn't have its budget either. But I know nobody needs to remind Tom about VEing and budgets. We'll have to wait for a facade detail render.

Mr Downtown Sep 24, 2015 1:06 PM

This bears more resemblance to the Inter-State Exposition Building than to Central Station. Which is to say, none at all. Nor is it on Central Station's site; this was the site of the peripatetic Dowie Building.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wierdaaron (Post 7174606)
I don't think shadows over the park will be an issue. The sun would be north of it for most of the year.

Only if it were in the Southern Hemisphere. Where we live, the sun is in the southern sky, except at the beginning and end of the day during summer.

Pioneer Sep 24, 2015 3:03 PM

For some reason, I feel like playing Tetris. :shrug:

Ch.G, Ch.G Sep 24, 2015 3:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 7175409)
Not to belabor the point however. I don't consider this the dominant impression made by the tower. Just that it can't be overlooked; some people will be reading it that way, and dollars to donuts that some NY or east coast writer one day will refer to it that way as they take pleasure in reducing our city to blue collar cliches.

...this sounds overly sensitive to the point of paranoia. And since when are evocations of vernacular architecture or other old, "honest" structures ever ridiculed? Those forms are celebrated in Toward an Architecture. Nouvel's first US project, the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis, references neighboring grain elevators, something for which it received universal praise.

SamInTheLoop Sep 24, 2015 3:56 PM

Love this. So glad Vinoly came in and we were spared the comical P/H designs. This would be better if the trellisy thing on top were nixed - hopefully it will be - that's highly unnecessary.........and absolutely LOVE the number of units......we need to embrace true densification round these parts....

The one thing I very much don't like about the proposed PD amendment here is what is proposed for the parcel on Indiana due south of The Grant. Townhomes? No thank you. Hopefully they go back for another amendment before that actually gets developed. There's no reason for anything less than a 30-40 story tower there, if not two. Townhomes and a park there is a joke. A park? You want a park, walk north a block, there's a big park. You don't like that one, walk east a block or two and you have the Museum Campus. Also, the fact that you would have an area of low-rise directly behind The Grant gives the South Wall a certain 'flimsiness' in my opinion - the wall should have a 'solidity' in that it be 'backed-up' by reasonably dense and tall buildings behind all of it............as I said, hopefully that piece of this gets amended and densified once again....

rlw777 Sep 24, 2015 5:54 PM

Quick photoshop job

http://i.imgur.com/wzX5l9n.jpg

wierdaaron Sep 24, 2015 5:56 PM

^Plus a 40-something floor Essex Annex.

aaron38 Sep 24, 2015 6:02 PM

^^^

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanrule (Post 7174798)
towers by lake too tall? BUILD BIGGER ONES BEHIND THEM!

Done.

The Lurker Sep 24, 2015 6:40 PM

Kudos on the photoshop job, RLW.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wierdaaron (Post 7175902)
^Plus a 40-something floor Essex Annex.

And 1326 S. michigan!

VKChaz Sep 24, 2015 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 7175655)
Also, the fact that you would have an area of low-rise directly behind The Grant gives the South Wall a certain 'flimsiness' in my opinion - the wall should have a 'solidity' in that it be 'backed-up' by reasonably dense and tall buildings behind all of it

Yes, there really should be some 'thickness' to the south of the buildings along the Park. The existing townhomes to the south established a bad precedent.

UPChicago Sep 24, 2015 11:43 PM

just because
http://i61.tinypic.com/34yprg8.jpg

wierdaaron Sep 24, 2015 11:51 PM

Unfortunately that precedent of town homes was started like 150 years ago.

2PRUROCKS! Sep 25, 2015 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G (Post 7174355)
I think most people here would agree that "bulky and boxy" are complimentary qualities for Chicago architecture. And how many buildings can truly be characterized as "ground-breaking"? Like, made a noticeable impact on all architecture to follow? Among everything ever built-- even among only the buildings we praise? Not many. Much more often than not, in any field, progress occurs incrementally, and the contribution of a single actor is minimal. I don't think that's a bad thing. Not that we shouldn't all, you know, shoot for the stars (or whatever hackneyed metaphor you want to use), but I think too often, and especially in architecture, saying that something is "ground-breaking" is really just another way of saying that it's novel, which is itself often just shorthand for "look at all those zany shapes!"

So that doesn't bother me much.

I'm with you on twins, though. I hate twin towers. The only exceptions I can think of are Mies' LSD apartments. But like others have said I doubt that one will get built anytime soon, and, when it does, I'm sure the design will have changed.

I get that many may like boxy, brawny buildings. They aren't my preferred style. I prefer tall and thin and I tend to like skyscrapers with tapering forms like JHC and pointy decorative tops (I believe skyscrapers area usually better when they make a final forceful statement at their apex hence my fondness for 2 Prudential, Smurfit-Stone Container, and the Chrysler Building). I also tend to gravitate towards buildings with curves like Marina City (an exception to my twin dislike) and Lake Point tower. All of these buildings were truly ground braking when they were built or have at least become icons of their skylines. Overall I like variety however, and I wouldn't want an entire skyline full of buildings like I just described nor of boxy bulks which I feel Chicago is tending towards. People say this is very Chicago, but Chicago skyscrapers haven't always been that way (look at photos from the 1920's) or the examples I mentioned above which are all very Chicago (Chrysler excepted). To me Chicago architecture especially when it is high profile (which this is) should be innovative, unique, high quality and functional.

I am ok with phase 1 but I really hope phase 2 isn't built as currently designed. My negative reaction was largely fueled by many of the early overly effervescent, hyperbolic posts after the reveal saying these would be instant icons and all other architects should put down their pencils and redesign their buildings after this. These designs are not ground breaking and I highly doubt they will be considered icons of Chicago architecture. The trellis structures on the tops look like a cheep lazy after thought. Something that could be purchased at a big box home improvement store in the same section the Elysian's mansard roof was acquired at. The façade could turn out well if good materials are used. This means very transparent glass with little to no reflectivity and the white portions either need to be real limestone or high quality precast that doesn't try to mimic real stone like that on the Museum of Contemporary Art or the Roosevelt University tower. However, the sunset rendering gives the glass a brownish gold reflective hue that I hope is just an inaccuracy in the rendering. It reminds me too much of an unfortunate direction late 70's and early 80's modernism took or some twisted combination of Trump World Tower in NY and Trump's hideous gold monstrosity in Vegas.

2PRUROCKS! Sep 25, 2015 12:50 AM

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjnjC4HCIAA4wRl.jpg

I would love to see something like this built at the corner on Michigan and Roosevelt, with the pointy side right at the Michigan and Roosevelt corner and the sloped side facing south east toward the Lake similar to Smurfit-Stone.

VKChaz Sep 25, 2015 1:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wierdaaron (Post 7176393)
Unfortunately that precedent of town homes was started like 150 years ago.

I personally think it can make sense to construct some filler-type townhomes or detached homes in certain locations to the south of there, partly to honor the history of the area (e.g,. the Prairie District). It is the large-scale, walled-off townhome developments immediately to the south that I find problematic.

pilsenarch Sep 25, 2015 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2PRUROCKS! (Post 7176440)
...This means very transparent glass with little to no reflectivity and the white portions either need to be real limestone or high quality precast that doesn't try to mimic real stone like that on the Museum of Contemporary Art or the Roosevelt University tower...

MCA is mostly cast aluminum panels with AFAIK a limestone base.

Roosevelt?, Meaning the VOA blue glass tower? The relatively small precast volume to the north comprised of large black precast panels... don't think it's attempting to mimic anything other than large black precast panels...

Notyrview Sep 25, 2015 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPChicago (Post 7176385)

If that all happens, covering the tracks can't be more than a generation away.

Mr Downtown Sep 25, 2015 12:41 PM

^How would a developer make money from covering the tracks north of Roosevelt?

BVictor1 Sep 25, 2015 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 7176852)

By building towers atop them as they've planned... From Roosevelt to 15th the decking was to be a park and from there south to McCormick Place was to be towers.

Vinyl's design is shreaded in this Crain's article.

If you Google the name of the article, you can usually get around the paywall.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...not-in-chicago

September 25, 2015
REVIEW
Architect Rafael Vinoly has done good work—just not in Chicago
By: EDWARD KEEGAN

Quote:

There's a little irony in the fact that New York-based architect Rafael Vinoly's design for two tall buildings at the south end of Grant Park were unveiled just days after his 20 Fenchurch Street high-rise in London won the Carbuncle Cup.

That's an annual “award” given by U.K.-based Building Design magazine for “the ugliest building in the United Kingdom completed in the last 12 months.” That building is better known as “the Walkie-Talkie” because of its uncanny resemblance to that outdated mode of communication. It's probably even better known for the “death rays” its concave glass facade created in the summer of 2013—melting parts of luxury automobiles parked on nearby streets.

The design Vinoly has revealed for the site at 113 E. Roosevelt Road eschews the curves that created the destructive forces in the London's tower, but the aesthetic shown by the new site isn't going to do Chicago's renowned skyline any favors.

At 829 feet, the 76-story building of the pair would be the tallest structure in the rapidly growing South Loop neighborhood, which already is a mishmash of old and new construction; good, bad and mediocre design. (That is, unless an 86-story Helmut Jahn tower gets built in the South Loop.) Vinoly has proposed two towers that eventually would fill the block between Michigan and Indiana avenues. Each tower is composed of a series of square tubes—reminiscent of the design for Sears Tower.

Notyrview Sep 25, 2015 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 7176852)

I wasn't thinking about a developer, but that could be part of the mix. I was thinking about people like those in SOAR and the city and maybe one of those so-called public private partnerships.

brian_b Sep 25, 2015 1:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 7176860)
By building towers atop them as they've planned... From Roosevelt to 15th the decking was to be a park and from there south to McCormick Place was to be towers.

I doubt it happens for at least 100 years. Too many existing buildings now have 99-year easements granting them air rights above the tracks. You could build townhomes or low-rises in the space below the air rights, but how could you make that economically feasible?

BVictor1 Sep 25, 2015 1:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian_b (Post 7176884)
I doubt it happens for at least 100 years. Too many existing buildings now have 99-year easements granting them air rights above the tracks. You could build townhomes or low-rises in the space below the air rights, but how could you make that economically feasible?

The developers own the air rights. None of those townhouses have the right to anything over there.

Notyrview Sep 25, 2015 1:25 PM

Dude. The idea is not to build towers! Ugh. It's to make a park.

BVictor1 Sep 25, 2015 2:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notyrview (Post 7176906)
Dude. The idea is not to build towers! Ugh. It's to make a park.

I don't know if you were talking to me, but dude...

The park only would stretch as far south as like 16th Street. From 16th south to McCormick Place is supposedly one day supposed to be towers.

http://pdnachicago.com/media%20artic...mnents/AC3.pdf

http://gapersblock.com/ac/gateway2ue5.jpg

Notyrview Sep 25, 2015 2:27 PM

No, that was a general existential "dude" of despair. I was referring to the tracks north of R. I'd love to see towers south of there.

pilsenarch Sep 25, 2015 2:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 7176860)

September 25, 2015
REVIEW
Architect Rafael Vinoly has done good work—just not in Chicago
By: EDWARD KEEGAN

I am always suspicious of such very early and seemingly decisive criticism...

I think what Vinoly was suggesting when he said he did not intend for this building(s) to be iconic, is that he wants it to be beautiful in a way that is derived from its function and detail and not from overt gymnastics...

regardless, it is IMO way too early to be making such decisive judgements about this design...

ChiHi Sep 25, 2015 4:28 PM

I can't help but look at this thing and think that it looks like a much larger version of the Columbus Plaza at 233 E Wacker. Love the height but even a little effort to be creative or innovative with the design wouldn't have hurt.

brian_b Sep 25, 2015 6:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 7176958)
I don't know if you were talking to me, but dude...

The park only would stretch as far south as like 16th Street. From 16th south to McCormick Place is supposedly one day supposed to be towers.

http://pdnachicago.com/media%20artic...mnents/AC3.pdf

That PDF says 12 towers from Roosevelt to 18th, not Roosevelt to McCormick Place. Then you say it will be park from Roosevelt to 16th.

That leaves 16th to 18th open for development. Really? Not gonna happen any time soon, that's for sure. Not with the Air Line there.

Well, ok, if the city pays for a connection between 18th and LSD and 15th and Prairie/Indiana, then someone might be able to make an economic case for some development along that road.

SamInTheLoop Sep 25, 2015 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VKChaz (Post 7176503)
I personally think it can make sense to construct some filler-type townhomes or detached homes in certain locations to the south of there, partly to honor the history of the area (e.g,. the Prairie District). It is the large-scale, walled-off townhome developments immediately to the south that I find problematic.

Definitely agree with you here. For example, in my case, although I was very pro-X/O when it was proposed, I'm not necessarily offended by the idea of townhomes (now being built by Golub and a JV partner) on that site. I'm absolutely offended, however, by the idea of only townhomes on this significant parcel at Indiana/13th. That is way too far under highest and best use, and as mentioned makes part of the South Grant Park Wall merely a veneer - when it should be backed along its length fairly thick with towers.....

andydie Sep 26, 2015 3:25 PM

love the proposal! much better than what was planned there before and very Chicago Style. Lets hope they build both towers :cheers: