SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Midwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Lansing-East Lansing, MI Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143185)

LMich Oct 22, 2010 3:07 AM

I can't tell you how much I've seen the area tangibly feel more crowded and congested both on the streets and on the sidewalks and later into the night than usual. I'm not just talking about the revitalization downtown, but in the suburbs where for much of the second half of this decade everything had kind of frozen in time. I'm not sure if the growth has happened soon enough to show up in Census counts -- most of what I've seen and felt seems to have started taking place, literally, in the first month of this year, but it'll show up in subsequent estimates.

Kind of tying into that is Lansing Delta Township Assembly (LDT), which brought 600 new residents (and their families) to the area earlier this year...

Quote:

GM to put $37M investment into Delta Twp. auto plant

Barbara Wieland • bwieland@lsj.com • October 21, 2010 • From Lansing State Journal

DELTA TWP. - General Motors Co. will spend $37 million on new tooling and equipment at its Lansing Delta Township assembly plant.

Plant manager Scott Whybrew said GM wants to keep the plant on the "cutting edge." The factory opened in 2006 and is considered the most modern domestic plant in GM's portfolio.

The Delta Township plant already is operating at maximum capacity, turning out Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia and Chevrolet Traverse crossovers. The plant's 3,896 workers are divided into three shifts and frequently work six days a week.

LMich Oct 26, 2010 7:37 AM

Well, Market Place is back on. This isn't much of a surprise. The council illegally blocked the project by not keeping up their end of the bargain:

Quote:

Ingham judge OKs Marketplace plan

Susan Vela • svela@lsj.com • October 25, 2010

UPDATED 10 P.M.

Lansing – Ingham County Circuit Court Judge Rosemarie Aquilina ruled today that the Market Place Redevelopment Brownfield Plan meets all criteria required under the state’s Brownfield Redevelopment Act and should have been approved by the Lansing City Council.

Aquilina’s order constitutes city council approval, which was required for the project to proceed.

“We’re thankful the court has approved the project and we can get started,” said Market Place developer Pat Gillespie, CEO of the Gillespie Group. “Lansing has made a great deal of progress over the last few years and it would have been a shame for that progress to stall.

“We will now put 100 percent of our efforts into continuing to help grow this city by completing the first phase of Marketplace, as was originally agreed to in our development agreement with the city,” Gillespie said.

Neither City Attorney Brig Smith nor council members wanted to comment on Aquilina’s decision Monday.

Jerry Ambrose, the city’s finance director, said the court ruling is a “positive.”

“We are more determined than ever to bring business and labor together,” he said.

On Oct. 11, the council deadlocked 4-4 on approving about $4 million in incentives for the proposed mixed-use project along the Grand River in downtown Lansing. A four-member council block has aligned itself with labor groups demanding union scale wages and benefits for workers on the project.

LMich Oct 28, 2010 10:31 AM

Y mas...

Quote:

http://cmsimg.lansingstatejournal.co...xH=650&title=0
Lansing State Journal file photo

New Cadillac coming: General Motors Co.'s Lansing Grand River Assembly plant.

Lansing GM plant to land new Cadillac, more jobs

Melissa Domsic • mdomsic@lsj.com • October 28, 2010 • From Lansing State Journal

eneral Motors Co.'s Lansing Grand River Assembly plant has won the race for a new Cadillac vehicle - and hundreds of jobs that go with it.

The Detroit carmaker is expected to announce today it will invest $190 million in the plant and add about 600 jobs at as it gears up to make the Cadillac ATS small car.

The Lansing Grand River plans come on the heels of GM's announcement last week that it would spend $37 million on new tooling and equipment at the Lansing Delta Township assembly plant, which makes the Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia and Chevrolet Traverse crossovers.

The company in March added a third shift to the Lansing Delta Township plant, bringing in about 500 transferred workers from Spring Hill, Tenn. and about 400 laid-off Michigan workers from outside the Lansing area.

The plant is now operating at capacity with 3,896 hourly workers on three shifts. And the crossovers are among GM's bigger sellers.

More residents for the city and metro area.

subterranean Nov 9, 2010 5:32 PM

Unique Partnership Kicks Off Restoration of Historic Eastside Lansing Homes

CAPITAL GAINS, 11/3/2010
Lansing Community College, the Allen Neighborhood Center (ANC) and the Ingham County Land Bank have partnered to form Restoration Works!, a neighborhood stabilization and home restoration project.

The project is centered on the restoration of two historic homes in Lansing’s Eastside, at 1501 and 1512 E. Kalamazoo Street. The two foreclosed homes are owned by the Land Bank and were scheduled for demolition before the partnership project came to fruition.

Restoration Works! is an effort to preserve the history of the homes, both longstanding in the neighborhood.

The restoration work will be done by LCC Environment, Design and Building Technologies Department (EDBT) students as part of LCC’s Technical Careers Division. Members of ANC’s Housing Caucus and LCC students will be giving tours of these houses on Nov. 4, after a 10:30 a.m. press conference.
----

I live on this block and happy to see the partnership come up with a creative vision for these highly visible homes.

LMich Nov 19, 2010 4:01 AM

The MEDC approved a local and state tax capture that will help facilitate the development to 200 Albert Avenue in East Lansing according to this article at MLive.com:

Quote:

# City of East Lansing – State and local tax capture valued at $3 million will support a brownfield project to demolish two functionally obsolete, single-use two-story structures and construct an eight-story mixed-use building on the property located at 211 Albert Avenue. The project is expected to generate up to $9.7 million in new private investment and create up to 45 new jobs.
The 8-story building will include 49 loft-style apartments on the top seven floors, and construction is set to begin in May.

LMich Nov 23, 2010 6:03 AM

November 21

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/...dd01701f_z.jpg

Really, the outside work has been done for a few months, now. I was a little irked they had turned off the external lighting the night I decided to take the picture.

In other news SOBI Square has now been cancelled, the developer claims a victim of the recession. SOBI Square was a 52-unit residential infill development that was layed out over a series of small condo buildings (2-3 stories) attached condos (rowhomes) and around a handful of existing single-family homes on the block. The land was foreclosed on, recently, and the developer didn't even bother to tell the city until they found out pretty much on accident.

subterranean Nov 23, 2010 1:28 PM

Kind of sad to hear about SOBI square. Any word on the Lenawee?

LMich Nov 24, 2010 4:03 AM

The Lenawee was just a concept to begin with. I emailed the developers a few years back and the thing was on hold, then.

I'm actually rather pleased that one didn't happened as plan. There was just so much wrong with the plan at that particular location.

LMich Dec 1, 2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Area jobless rate lowest since 2008

Melissa Domsic • mdomsic@lsj.com • December 1, 2010 • From Lansing State Journal

The Lansing area's unemployment rate dropped to 9.2 percent in October, the lowest in nearly two years.

The jobless rate for Ing-ham, Clinton and Eaton counties receded for the third consecutive month, the Department of Energy, Labor & Economic Growth reported Tuesday.

October's rate, the lowest since an 8.1 percent jobless rate in December 2008, dropped from 9.9 percent in September and 10.4 percent in October 2009.

The area continued to report some of the lowest unemployment rates among the state's 83 counties.

Clinton County ranked third with 8 percent, while Eaton followed with 8.1 percent. Ingham County had the 12th lowest rate at 9.9 percent.
http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/a...est-since-2008

subterranean Dec 1, 2010 1:48 PM

There are so many ways to interpret those numbers. Now that unemployment benefits won't get extended, it's likely the number will continue to drop because the indicator won't pick them up. I bet we're still more like 20 percent unemployed/underemployed/dropped out of the game. Still, I'm pretty excited about a leaner, more diversified economy in Michigan. Maybe we'll get there in the next 10 or 15 years. I think we've finally pretty much bottomed out in terms of auto manufacturing jobs despite the recent minor gains (Volt, etc.).

LMich Dec 9, 2010 10:44 AM

This is moving faster than I originally thought it would:

Quote:

BWL gets green light on new Lansing plant

Barbara Wieland • bwieland@lsj.com • December 9, 2010 • From Lansing State Journal

The Lansing Board of Water & Light has received the permits it needs to begin construction on a $182 million electric and steam plant in Lansing's REO Town area.

The permits from the state's Department of Natural Resources and Energy give the utility company the green light to move forward with plans to construct a natural gas-powered plant that will replace the coal-fired Moores Park Steam Plant.

The BWL next plans to secure funding for the project by issuing bonds, utility spokesman Mark Nixon said.

Construction is scheduled to start in the late spring or early summer of 2011, and the plant would be operational by early 2013.

The project will employ 1,000 construction workers, and approximately 180 utility employees will work at the plant.

The facility also will expand the BWL's ability to sell steam to customers in the downtown Lansing area.

Once constructed, the REO Town Cogeneration Facility will reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 50 percent compared with the existing Moores Park plant.

The facility also will reduce the emissions of air pollutants such as mercury and sulfur and nitrogen compounds.

The plant will have a solar panel array and wind turbines on the facility's roof, adding to the amount of renewable energy generated by the BWL.
Y mas...

Quote:

Arialink moving headquarters to downtown Lansing

Melissa Domsic • mdomsic@lsj.com • December 9, 2010 • From Lansing State Journal

Internet and telephone service provider Arialink is moving its headquarters to downtown Lansing from Delta Township as a primary tenant of the former Michigan Dental Association building.

The three-story, 40,000- square-foot building at 230 N. Washington Square, now called 230 North, was left empty last fall when the MDA moved to Meridian Township.

Karp and Associates, led by developer Richard Karp, bought the building for $575,000 and has spent an undisclosed amount of money on renovations. Now, Karp said, he is in the process of filling much of the building.

Arialink, with about 50 employees, has moved about 25 employees into the new building. It plans to house a total of 40 employees there once offices are consolidated.

Arialink is temporarily occupying part of the approximately 11,000-square-foot third floor. It will move into 7,500 square feet of the second floor, which also spans about 11,000 square feet, once renovations are completed in the next couple of months.

Manny Lentine Inc., a lobbying firm, moved into half of the approximately 9,000-square-foot first floor. Karp said another unnamed lobbying firm should move into the rest of the first floor by early January.

That would leave space on part of the second floor Arialink does not take and the third floor.

There also is a basement tenants can use.

Karp said he is talking a few potential tenants he would not name.

"I would say our leasing activity is uncharacteristically robust for the downtown Lansing office market," Karp said.

Photo of the former MDA Building:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3473/...3bc_z.jpg?zz=1
Self-taken

Rizzo Dec 9, 2010 6:37 PM

Very good news...especially the last sentence too. The more downtown workers, the more downtown residents and businesses to follow.

subterranean Dec 9, 2010 7:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayward (Post 5086927)
Very good news...especially the last sentence too. The more downtown workers, the more downtown residents and businesses to follow.

Agreed. Although downtown is severely limited in its variety of housing. In recent years we've seen an uptick in downtown rental rehabs above storefronts, as well as newish developments/conversions like the Arbaugh and the Stadium District, but I still think downtown is ripe for some truly diversified multifamily housing of various sizes and types. Some of the loft conversions are really nice, but their pricing is such that you can buy a home in one of the adjacent neighborhoods for half the monthly cost and two or three times the space.

I realize the trends in the housing market have people favoring the flexibility/mobility of renting, therefore driving the rent prices up. But it's still a bit ridiculous for Lansing. $800-900/mo for a small studio might fly in Ann Arbor, but that's pretty astronomical for downtown Lansing given the lack of amenities. This just proves to me that there's a growing demand for downtown living and only a few developers are coming around to the "urban living" concept, still hesitant to take what is thought of as a big risk compared to green field development. Personally I'm not a fan of the Gillespie-type developments of 100+ units. I'd like to see some 10 or 20 unit buildings going in all around the core by some smaller developers. Townsend's developments seem to be more on par with a sustainable mixed use core, but some of his development proposals have fallen through lately.

Another thing looming in downtown Lansing is the impending retirements of many State of Michigan employees. My office, for example, is expecting about a 15-20% retirement rate by January. Most of the older workers in State government live out in the burbs. Almost all of the younger people I've known to come in to replace those older workers (including myself) live in the direct vicinity of downtown. I have a feeling there is going to be even more demand for downtown living in the coming months due to this trend. I don't think many of these corporate moves downtown are going to have as large of effect as one might think on housing because they are staffed by middle aged people, particularly the BCBS type office jobs. They will absolutely have an a positive outcome on downtown businesses, but I highly doubt many of those workers are going to change their living arrangements due to a corporate move of a couple miles.

LMich Dec 10, 2010 9:03 AM

Yeah, the demand is definitely there. The most recent downtown market study showed that the immediate downtown area could easily absorb another 300 to 400 additional rental units over the next four years, and it's well known that just about every one of the major urban living developments downtown have a waiting list.

Developers have been decrying the tight credit market for their lack of developing over the past three or so years. I do wonder how much truth there is to that, and whether they are just content at the moment sitting on what are all obviously and highly profitable developments they squeaked in before the national economic downtown and not willing to take the risk.

Yeah, I definitely like Townsend's stuff better than Gillespie's. Gillespie seems to do kind of lower-quality (or at least less sustainable), Disneyfied urban living. And, because of that and and given the state of the economy it'd definitely be worth it now for these developers to sprinkle a 10-unit development here and a 10-unit development there. I can also see why Gillespie doesn't like to do smaller stuff. He'd have to charge higher prices per unit and have to increase the overall quality of his stuff if he wanted it to sell at the higher price.

On the price, I was actually surprised to hear about the increases in rents, so I went and looked it up and was shocked. You know have one-bedrooms running for $900 at The Arbaugh, $1,200 at Motor Wheels, high $800 at Prudden Place...

These used to be bargains. This is definitely an argument for increasing the number of units to get these prices lower. There are so few options and so few developers they are charging whatever they want.

DetroitMan Dec 14, 2010 12:48 AM

Merging lane to be added on U.S. 127
$1.3M project is for stretch between Lake Lansing Road, Grand River Ave.
Barbara Wieland • bwieland@lsj.com • December 13, 2010

Quote:

The $1.3 million project will take a month to complete and will add a "merge/weave" lane between the Grand River on-ramp and the Lake Lansing off-ramp. Essentially, a car entering U.S. 127 at Grand River and exiting at Lake Lansing will be able to make the entire trip without changing lanes once the work is complete.
http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/a...ed-on-U.S.-127

LMich Dec 16, 2010 7:54 AM

After hitting some roadblocks this summer and fall, both the Knapps Center redevelopment and the Marketplace (looks like the name has been combined) development are moving forward, again. So, finally some more construction coming down the pipe, next year:

Quote:

http://cmsimg.lansingstatejournal.co...W=318&Border=0

Knapp's building, Marketplace projects in Lansing advance

Barbara Wieland • bwieland@lsj.com • December 15, 2010 • From Lansing State Journal

The former J.W. Knapp's department store and the Marketplace development projects received state tax credits Tuesday as they gradually move from ideas to reality.

But they also need other financial components to fall into place before construction can begin.

The Michigan Economic Growth Authority board approved a $4.9 million brownfield redevelopment tax credit for the Knapp's renovation project and a $6.7 million local and school tax capture for East Lansing developer Pat Gillespie's Marketplace project.

The renovation of the former department store, owned by East Lansing-based Eyde Co., is a $36.4 million project that would turn the dilapidated downtown landmark at 300 S. Washington Ave. into a building with retail and commercial sites on the lower floors and residential space on the fifth floor.

If all financing is secured, construction should begin in the late spring or early summer of 2011, Clouse said.

Gillespie Group's Marketplace project would include 170 residential units on 3.6 acres near Shiawassee Street and Cedar streets. But the property needs environmental cleanup before work can begin. Gillespie said the project is still awaiting the approval of a Michigan Business Tax Credit - a meeting is set for Dec. 22. If approved, Gillespie said construction would begin in fall 2011.
The perennial greening of Frandor on Lansing's far eastside has come back up, again. Frandor literally sits atop an old swamp, and the area has to be redone to comply with federal law:

Quote:

http://www.lansingcitypulse.com/lans...t5236widea.jpg

A New Frandor?

by Andy Balaskovitz | Lansing City Pulse

December 15, 2010

On a cold, windy Wednesday night in November, Ingham County Drain Commissioner Pat Lindemann offered the first public glimpse into his vision for the Frandor Shopping Center at Emil’s restaurant on Michigan Avenue.

To Lindemann, Frandor represents a river-polluting planning blunder. It’s his mandate, he says, to keep polluted rainwater from running off the massive parking lot and draining into the Red Cedar River.

Yet, when City Pulse ran a story in June 2007, Lindemann said the plan was to be in place by now, with construction finishing by 2012.

And while he says the plans are in motion, he is bracing for another two, three, maybe five years of political wrangling, regional cooperation and investment commitments from developers. The newest visuals are merely tentative.

The Frandor shopping area, which blankets the below-ground Montgomery Drain, is the largest contributor of nonpoint source pollution (i.e. rain water from the streets) in the Red Cedar watershed, Lindemann said.

His aim is to turn the area back into a swamp that will absorb the rainwater. This can be accomplished through “low impact design,” such as rain gardens, as opposed to piping it, as is done now.

“I have to interrupt that flow. That’s my charge under the Clean Water Act and I can’t do it alone,” Lindemann said.

Aside from rain gardens in the parking lot, there is also the defunct city-owned Red Cedar Golf Course to the south across Michigan Avenue.

“That becomes the sewer — the whole damn golf course. It’s a huge catch basin,” Lindemann said.

And then there is the commercial development nearby, which Lindemann says could be a catalyst to get the project moving.

A planned pedestrian bridge over Michigan Avenue would be key to linking MSU students to Frandor, heightening its retail prowess. There is also consideration for an outdoor amphitheater and a bit of retail on the old golf course.

“This is how we rebuild cities,” Lindemann said. “This is about rebuilding Lansing.”

LMich Dec 20, 2010 3:53 AM

Eastwood Towne Center to expand:

Quote:

http://cmsimg.lansingstatejournal.co...W=318&Border=0

Lansing Township plan new retail, parking space near Eastwood

Derek Melot • dmelot@lsj.com • December 19, 2010

In April 2011, a decade after Lansing Township gave zoning approval for the "lifestyle" shopping center, the township will break ground on the next major phase of its development strategy: 120,000 square feet of commercial space and 1,300 parking slots on vacant land just north of NCG Cinemas. A fall 2012 completion date is the goal.

Borrowing $22 million via mostly tax-exempt bonds, Lansing Township is making a bold bet that the first decade of retailing success at Eastwood is the first of many to come.

Rather than just helping private development, Lansing Township, through its Downtown Development Authority, will be its own developer. The township will construct the store space, erect a 620-slot parking ramp and pave 700 additional surface parking spots.

Additional retail development always has been part of the township's goal. The so-called Eastwood DDA actually encompasses property far beyond the confines of the eponymous lifestyle center. The new project actually is a smaller version of a previous proposal for more than $100 million in development that would have included a hotel, a much-larger parking ramp and two 12- to 15-story buildings.

Rizzo Dec 20, 2010 3:58 AM

Development...but crappy development unfortunately. I long for the day when proposals and announcements of this type of malls and parking will never occur

LMich Dec 20, 2010 4:44 AM

I'd not mind much if they were going to consolidate the surface parking into one or two garages given how far out from the core this is. But, to add more surface parking and a garage is just plain overkill. I wonder if Lansingites know that this isn't the norm for most "lifestyle centers" around the country, today?

BTW, here's the master plan for the area for anyone interested in seeing "Downtown" Lansing Township:

http://www.eastwooddda.org/documents/largemap.pdf

http://www.eastwooddda.org/activity.shtml

It looks like they are generally following their masterplan for the area, except that they are seeming to allow for more parking than planned.

Rizzo Dec 20, 2010 8:24 AM

I looked at the development plan and just found it hopeless new urbanism. There's no compromising for good urban development, whether is decking or hiding surface parking. I feel in the planning field discussions of "creating sense of place" have been interpreted poorly into stage-set town centers. With the current generation flocking to real downtowns, you'd think they'd try to put together something...you know... a bit more real.

And trust me, this kind of crap is no stranger to where I live either. They'll try to cram this stuff onto an old industrial site. Their reasoning? Well because it was a steel mill, that makes it okay to build 1000 parking spaces...so as long as we build at least two sides up to the street.

That's why I said I wish this type of development would go away..for the sake of Lansing Township and my own Chicago.

DeBaliviere Dec 21, 2010 3:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMich (Post 5086533)
Photo of the former MDA Building:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3473/...3bc_z.jpg?zz=1
Self-taken

Cool building.

Mid-Michigan Dec 28, 2010 9:29 PM

Not sure what's all going on in downtown Lansing but seems like there is some improvement.

uaarkson Dec 29, 2010 5:19 AM

I was just in Lansing today. Michigan Ave. is looking fantastic.

subterranean Jan 3, 2011 8:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uaarkson (Post 5107746)
I was just in Lansing today. Michigan Ave. is looking fantastic.

Just wait until we get new streetscaping and bus rapid transit :)

LMich Jan 5, 2011 10:39 AM

An article on the jobs picture. They keep making mention to a shrinking labor force, but the labor force has remained roughly unchanged for much of the past two years, meaning that actual unemployment really is down considerably from its peak:

Quote:

Lansing-area jobless rate dips to 8.7% in November

Melissa Domsic • mdomsic@lsj.com • January 5, 2011 • From Lansing State Journal

The Lansing area's unemployment rate dipped to 8.7 percent in November as the labor force shrank.

The jobless rate for Ingham, Clinton and Eaton counties fell for the fourth consecutive month, the Department of Energy, Labor & Economic Growth reported Tuesday. But the drop came partly because people gave up trying to find jobs.

The November jobless rate was down from 9.2 percent in October and 11 percent in November 2009.

"It's pretty close to flat, which doesn't sound very good until you put it in context by remembering that '08 and '09 were a disaster," said Charles Ballard, economics professor at Michigan State University.

I think it's say we hit the bottom in the region quite some time ago.

LMich Jan 14, 2011 10:39 AM

Green loans...

Quote:

Lansing program to offer loans to 'green' businesses

Susan Vela • January 14, 2011

Lansing businesses interested in “going green” may receive $50,000 to $100,000 if they qualify to receive one of the city’s new loans.

Mayor Virg Bernero announced Thursday the launching of the city’s Energy Efficiency Revolving Loan Fund, which will lend money to city businesses for energy-efficiency efforts such as wind turbines, solar arrays and heat capture systems.

Electrical upgrades, mechanical improvements and better power management for information technology also are possibilities to get the loans.

“Our new Green Loan Fund will help Lansing’s small businesses improve their bottom line by making their operations more energy efficient,” Bernero said in a press release. “While bank financing remains difficult to obtain for many small businesses, this is one way we can help local entrepreneurs move forward in a tough economy.”

According to city officials, loan recipients will have 60 months, or five years, to pay back the loans. Those dipping into the city’s new loan fund — made possible by a federal grant — can use cost savings achieved to reimburse the city, said Taylor Heins, director of the city’s Go Green! Initiative.

During the first round of funding, $200,000 will be available. The Lansing Economic Development Corp. and Bernero’s Greater Lansing Go Green! Initiative will administer the fund.

“We’re going to be looking for projects that are innovative,” Heins said. “Those applicants that can provide up to a 50 percent match will be preferenced.

LMich Jan 17, 2011 9:13 AM

Sad to see this being scaled-back, and even worse that they are taking out the multi-family building component, but 125-units is nothing to sneeze at in the middle of the city:

Quote:

http://cmsimg.lansingstatejournal.co...xH=650&title=0
Project back on: Construction on new homes in the East Village off Saginaw Street in Lansing should start next month, after Portage-based Allen Edwin Homes bought the development project out of foreclosure. (Rod Sanford/Lansing State Journal)

Developer breathes new life into East Village housing plan

Melissa Domsic • mdomsic@lsj.com • January 15, 2011

The city of Lansing had to dip into its general fund to cover bond payments after the East Village residential development fell into foreclosure.

But now a new developer has purchased the property off Saginaw Street with plans to construct single-family homes and townhouses.

It's a sigh of relief for city officials, who are counting on increased property tax revenues to cover outstanding debt.

But the original developer, Burton-Katzman of Bingham Farms, only completed 40 percent of the project before lenders took the property back in 2009.

Portage-based Allen Edwin Homes' decision to take over the project and invest $10 million in it is "nothing short of a miracle," said Bob Trezise, president and CEO of the Lansing Economic Development Corp

Allen Edwin Homes plans to build six townhouses and 52 detached homes in the next three years. It's also in the process of completing and selling 10 units the previous builder never finished.

They'll join 57 existing flats, townhouses and single-family homes the previous developer built and sold.

subterranean Jan 18, 2011 2:13 PM

They need to connect that development to the surrounding neighborhood. It's like a gated community in the middle of the city, which is d-u-m-b.

LMich Jan 20, 2011 8:51 AM

Lots of news in the local business booster:

Quote:

Lansing Art Gallery secures $25,000 for Downtown City Streets Exhibition

Capital Gains, 1/19/2011

This summer the art in Downtown Lansing isn’t just going to accessible, it’s going to be interactive.

After collaborating with other organizations on past outdoor projects, the Lansing Art Gallery is holding its first ever independent Downtown exhibit with some exciting twists — all thanks to $25,000 in grant funds from the Lansing Economic Development Corporation with assistance from The Arts Council of Greater Lansing.

The result will be 75-100 works of 2D and 3D art scattered throughout the streets of Downtown Lansing for four months.

Though the pieces themselves will be a sight to see, the LEDC grant required the Lansing Art Gallery to use the funds to make art accessible to the public, and that got the event planners thinking even more creatively.

"We’ll have a City Streets website and each artist will be represented there," explains Babcock. "There will be a phone number [where each] artist will have a recorded explanation of the art, in their own voice."

The phone numbers, provided by ACD.net, will also appear alongside the outdoor art, so visitors to Downtown can learn about each piece as they view it. They will also be able to text in their vote for the "People’s Choice Award," to be given to the most popular work.

Quote:

http://www.capitalgainsmedia.com/ima...p_interior.jpg

Newly opened Zoup brings 18 jobs and more eatery options to Downtown

Capital Gains, 1/19/2011

If you stop by Downtown Lansing’s Zoup at noon on a weekday, you'd never believe the restaurant has only been open for five weeks.

"We’ve already developed a lot of repeat customers," says Mark Rantz, 51, who owns the new Zoup location along with his wife, Sue. "We have people who order every day."

Rantz credits part of the success of the café, which now employs 18, to the reputation the Michigan-based Zoup franchise has enjoyed from its popular locations in Grand Rapids and the Detroit area.

Rantz adds that the Downtown Lansing business community has been just as welcoming to the new restaurant as his customers. Thanks to a conversation with Downtown Lansing, Inc.'s director, Mindy Biladeau, the business was able to take advantage of the Lansing Economic Development Corporation’s sign incentive program to create the first street-level, projecting sign in the Zoup franchise.

"Zoup has about 30 locations and they are just getting into some downtown areas," he says. "The sign that we created along with Zoup is now going to be used in all the downtown areas."

The new Zoup can be found at 214 S Washignton Square, as can Mark and Sue Rantz, who recently moved from St. Joseph to a loft in Downtown Lansing.
Quote:

http://www.capitalgainsmedia.com/ima...502/GT_Pie.jpg

Grand Traverse Pie Co. brings 30 jobs and $420,000 investment to Downtown

Capital Gains, 1/19/2011

When the new Grand Traverse Pie Company opens its doors in Downtown Lansing on Jan. 31, it won’t just be another faceless chain setting up shop. Though Mike and Denise Busley opened the original store in Traverse City in 1996, the opening of their first urban location in Lansing is more like a family homecoming.

"My grandmother worked at Knapp’s and my grandfather worked at the Olds plant," says Busley. "My mom worked at Olds for awhile. They all lived Downtown."

Though the Busley’s newest location will be their third in the Greater Lansing area, it’s this family connection that makes the Downtown location extra special.

Their dedication to the area and the state will be apparent when the doors open, in everything from the furniture to the coolers to the butcher block tables — all of which were made in Michigan.

Quote:

http://www.capitalgainsmedia.com/ima...e-419-0138.jpg

$25 million Marketplace development secures state business tax credit

Capital Gains, 1/19/2011

After the Gillespie Group’s December announcement of the $6.7 million local and school tax capture granted by the Michigan Economic Growth Authority (MEGA) Board, just one piece of the financial incentive puzzle remained for the Marketplace project: a Michigan Business Tax Credit of a 20 percent.

After a December 22 meeting to consider the credit returned an approval, the firm can now move forward with their plan for the proposed $25 million project.

If all goes well, construction on the multi-phase Marketplace development could commence by the end of 2011. The first phase is slated to include 80-85 residential units and is expected to total a $6.5-$8.5 million.

The Gillespie Group is optimistic the investment will prove worthwhile — for the firm and for Downtown Lansing.

"It’s pretty easy to see there’s a residential demand Downtown," Kildea says. "The adage of these Midwestern cities in midst of a revitalization is that only way to get that shopping, dining and retail centered around downtown is to have a residential base. This will be one more step toward having more people living and supporting Downtown."
Market Place was actually supposed to start construction in the spring, and I do hope that this rendering that's been up for a good year now is just a preliminary rendering, but other than that, a lot of good news.

LMich Jan 22, 2011 4:26 AM

This is good news. It finally gets DeWitt Township involved in an airport that's always been in their borders, but that they've never helped maintain. The entire tri-county region benefits from the thing, but Lansing and Ingham County were the only ones left on the hook for subsidizing this. This will finally bring some parity:

Quote:

Lansing, DeWitt Twp. seek to use tax incentives to spur development

Melissa Domsic • mdomsic@lsj.com • January 21, 2011 • From Lansing State Journal

DeWITT TWP. - Local officials hope to spur economic development around Capital Region International Airport through a series of tax breaks and other business incentives.

DeWitt Township and the city of Lansing are working to create an "aerotropolis" with a cluster of manufacturing, distribution, technology and other businesses surrounding the airport. They hope to take advantage of recently passed state legislation that promotes such developments through a collection of tax incentives.

But first, the city and township must approve a 425 land, tax and services sharing agreement.

The airport is located in DeWitt Township. Many of the tax incentive programs, such as a tax abatement on new personal property, are available in Lansing but not the township. That's why they're pursing the 425 agreement.

The two municipalities then would apply for a Next Michigan Development zone, also known as an aerotropolis.

The township and city are proposing that the aerotropolis cover the 2,000-acre airport property and land within a mile of the airport.

If a 425 agreement is passed, existing businesses would continue to pay township tax rates, while new arrivals would pay the city rate. The township and city would share tax revenue.

The 425 agreement would dissolve if the state doesn't grant the aerotropolis designation.

The Lansing City Council and DeWitt Township board should discuss the issue in the next 30 to 60 days, said Rodney Taylor, DeWitt Township's manager.

For statistical purposes, the 425 will actually add land to Lansing for the duration of the agreement as far as the Census Bureau is concerned.

betterlansingarea Jan 26, 2011 11:44 PM

Dewitt is a leader

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMich (Post 5135432)
This is good news. It finally gets DeWitt Township involved in an airport that's always been in their borders, but that they've never helped maintain. The entire tri-county region benefits from the thing, but Lansing and Ingham County were the only ones left on the hook for subsidizing this. This will finally bring some parity:

For statistical purposes, the 425 will actually add land to Lansing for the duration of the agreement as far as the Census Bureau is concerned.

You seem to have a misunderstanding. It is important to understand the facts. In 1970 the voters in ingham county said yes to an airport. Clinton and eaton residents said no thanks. Now ingham county decided to put the airport outside their jurisdiction. They also passed a vote without thinking about what would happen if Clinton and eaton sad no. Now if they would have been smart they would have made their vote contingent on the other counties.

The fact is that ingham county made this problem, and the support of the airport has nothing to do with Dewitt. It is the counties. Don't blame Dewitt for inghams lack of foresight. The fact is the land use by the airport has not been very valuable because of ingham bad job of managing the airport. In other words Dewitt would have taken in more money if the land would have been a higher use, even ag.

Also Dewitt residents have played the price for the airport. They have to live next to the noise and other issues. They have had to deal with an airport that as never tied to work with it's neighbors. I have been told by airport management we are the airport and we will do what we want. Nice team player!

Now instead focusing on how dewitt brought lansing and the airport to the table, you blame dewitt for something it had no part off. Dewitt could have said the airport has been a horrible team player, and let them fail. But it appears that Dewitt understands from their comments that we must work together for the greater Lansing region.

The airport should be an important economic development tool, it has not, and I am glad that Dewitt and lansing can lead by example. Let's not toss stones at the past, but talking positively about the future. We live and die as a region. Praise people for working together not for what should have been done in the past.

LMich Jan 27, 2011 10:16 AM

Really, whatever. It's been like pulling teeth to get the region to support any of the regional amenities, whether it be the zoo, the transit system, the community college, etc. Delta Township, literally across the county-line from Lansing, is still paying a higher bus fare because they refuse to chip in to fund the system.

Anyway, good news. Regionalism out of sheer necessity, now. And, as usual, it's Lansing, and in particular Mayor Bernero, that's willing to initiate the discussion:

Quote:

Lansing mayor's blue ribbon panel to seek shared services

Susan Vela • svela@lsj.com • January 27, 2011

Gov. Rick Snyder's call for community partnerships will drive Lansing Mayor Virg Bernero's new blue ribbon panel that will be charged with "reinventing" local government with shared regional services and better-managed services.

Bernero, who announced the soon-to-be-formed panel during his State of the City address this week, noted the governor's recent pronouncements that he would offer state revenue-sharing incentives for those communities merging services and managing services effectively.

"That is how we're going to be judged," Bernero said. "The governor was clear on that."

The mayor already has provided some examples of potential work that could benefit from regional cooperation: an "aerotropolis" with a cluster of businesses around the Capital Region International Airport, involving DeWitt Township and the city of Lansing; and the city's work with Lansing Township to develop former General Motors sites along the Saginaw Street corridor.

Bernero also mentioned the new Ingham County 911 dispatch center - relying on cooperation among the county, city and East Lansing - that has taken a decade of work. Construction is scheduled to start this year, and the facility might start operating in spring 2012, said John Neilsen, Ingham County's deputy controller.

Michi Feb 6, 2011 4:37 AM

Thanks for all the updates, LMich! Gives me something to look forward to whenever my next visit will be. Where is the Marketplace project suppose to be?

LMich Feb 6, 2011 10:02 AM

On the site of the old City Market.

DetroitMan Mar 2, 2011 11:34 PM

Im not putting much stock in this. I think this guy comes out with the same line every 6 months or so. I'll believe when I see it.
http://cmsimg.lansingstatejournal.co...W=640&Border=0
Quote:

Scott Chappelle, president of Strathmore Development Co., said he expects to close on construction financing in the next 60 days. He would not provide further details.
http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20110302/BUSINESS02/103020337/-97M-City-Center-II-project-may-break-ground-year?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p

LMich Mar 24, 2011 5:10 AM

Not so much a development, as simple news, but here he is the Census numbers for the region:

Metropolitan Area

2000: 447,734
2010: 464,036

+16,302 (+3.6%)

------------------------------------------

Municipalities (+25,000)

Lansing:

2000: 119,128
2010: 114,297

-4,831 (-4.1%)

East Lansing:

2000: 46,525
2010: 48,579

+2,054 (+4.4%)

Meridian Township:

2000: 39,116
2010: 39,688

+572 (+1.5%)

Delta Township:

2000: 29,614
2010: 32,408

+2,794 (+9.4%)

---------------------------

The metro area grew nearly twice as quickly as what the last estimates had predicted, Lansing declined slightly less than predicted, East Lansing posted a significant gain having been predicted to have posted a slight decline. Meridian Township, which has been known for being anti-development, also posted a slight gain having been estimated to have lost a slight bit of its population. The fastest growing community in the metro was the sprawlburb of Bath Township, which posted nearly a 54% growth.

Also of note on the county level is that every county in the MSA grew, with Clinton County being the fastest growing county in the state over the decade. The Census had predicted a slight loss for Ingham County, which posted a very slight gain.

LMich Mar 30, 2011 8:13 AM

Though this was generally considered the month in which the project would wrap up when they first started it, you'd have expected the local media would have been counting down the day given the historic nature and size of the project. But, nary a peep until - SURPRISE! - they have a grand-opening, yesterday. It's almost like they tried to keep it a secret.

Quote:

http://cmsimg.lansingstatejournal.co...&Maxh=410&q=60
Rod Sanford | Lansing State Journal

Accident Fund wraps up headquarters project in Lansing

Written by Melissa Domsic | Lansing State Journal

March 29, 2011

The insurer, which employs 650 in Lansing, marked the completion of its $182 million redevelopment of the power station into its 334,000-square-foot headquarters at an afternoon news conference.

Workers will begin moving in the weekend of April 9. The move-in should be finished by April 18.

The massive project has been in the works for about five years. Construction took more than two years.

"I'm overjoyed for the city today," said Bob Trezise, president and CEO of the Lansing Economic Development Corp. "Maybe, especially in this time, the symbol of that building being one of hope and of our city being able to come together and do the impossible is a real indication about our hopeful future."

Some photos:

Quote:

(the old crane pulley system was left in)

Michi Apr 5, 2011 2:45 AM

Oooh! Loving the Accident Fund project! I can't wait to explore Lansing again!

LMich Apr 11, 2011 11:08 AM

Quote:

Holy Cross comes back to life

by Alyssa Gienapp | Lansing City Pulse

April 5, 2011

The former Holy Cross Catholic Church in Lansing will have new tenants soon: the St. Andrew Dung-Lac Parish, a Vietnamese Catholic congregation.

The church, at 1611 W. Oakland Ave., sat vacant for about two years. The parish is in the process of refurbishing the building in hopes of starting masses around Easter, said Michael Diebold, spokesman for the Diocese of Lansing.

St. Andrew Dung-Lac is moving from 5430 S. Washington Ave. on Lansing’s south side between Jolly Road and Northrup Street. A St. Andrew spokesperson could not be reached for comment.

Holy Cross officially closed in June 2009 and merged with St. Mary Cathedral Parish downtown. In 2007, the school portion closed and then two years later — when Franciscans were no longer able to staff the parish — the church closed, according to the Catholic Diocese of Lansing’s website.

Diebold said the Holy Cross location offers the Dung-Lac Parish more space than its present location.

“[Holy Cross is] a better location and it has more worship space,” Diebold said. “We hope their community will continue to grow and flourish in this new space.”

The Holy Cross campus is situated on 4.7 acres and features three buildings, including the church, a gym and a school. The building is nearly 57,000 square feet.

The church features a roughly 500-seat sanctuary. The three floors include offices, storage, living rooms, a library, kitchens and a rectory. The school contains 10 classrooms and the gym is equipped for sporting events.

So far, the St. Andrew Dung-Lac Parish has been busy.

“They do have a dedicated group of volunteers,” Diebold said. “They are already moving.”

One of the reasons Holy Cross closed was to avoid the increasing expenses associated with necessary repairs and maintenance to aging structures, said the Most Rev. Earl Boyea (bishop of the Diocese of Lansing) in a decree.
I'd been past this church in the last few months and noticed it had finally been sold. I'm just glad to see the property being sold. It was a large anchor for the Westside, and this should help the businesses along West Saginaw.

hudkina Apr 11, 2011 5:01 PM

The Accident Fund project looks great. I love those massive windows from the inside.;)

Rizzo Apr 11, 2011 5:32 PM

I hope the AF project wins a long list of awards. It's incredibly well done, and just look how the old details adapt themselves well in the new interiors

LMich Apr 12, 2011 5:03 AM

Quote:

$500,000 to help Lansing's once-polluted Crego Park reopen to public

Written by Laura Misjak | The Lansing State Journal

April 11, 2011

The sign that declares Crego Park's closure has loomed at the corner of East Mt. Hope Avenue and Aurelius Road for more than 20 years.

But that sign will be coming down in the next year or so thanks to a $500,000 state grant that will help the once-polluted park open to the public.

"I can't wait to take that sign off," said Murdock Jemerson, Lansing's director of parks and recreation.

"This park has gone through a lot in terms of having the negative connotation of being polluted. I definitely want to see it open again."

Crego Park - Lansing's largest park at about 200 acres - is adjacent to Potter Park Zoo, Fenner Nature Center and two of the city's cemeteries as part of the Sycamore Basin.

It's been closed since 1986 when 200 drums of paint sludge and other toxic waste were found.

After the sludge discovery, FMC Corp. of Philadelphia agreed to spend $8 million to clean up the mess. The Lansing Park Board was notified within the past two years that the park was suitable to use, said Ron Lott, a member of the board.

The grant, coupled with $250,000 from the city's parks millage fund, will fit the land with a fishing dock, kayak/canoe launch, a boardwalk to give a pathway from the 17-acre Fidelity Lake on the park's east side to the city's River Trail, and more.

Once the city finds an architectural engineering firm and construction company to work on the project, the hands-on work might not begin until September, Jemerson said.

"What we're doing here is pretty much allowing access to the park and what we call quiet water activities," Jemerson said.

Motorized boats and other motorized watercraft will not be allowed in the park, Jemerson said.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/a...text|FRONTPAGE
I've wanted to see this park forever. So glad this went through. The Sycamore Basin is crazy and what I love about this place. You can be an urban area one minute, and the next be in an honest-to-goodness wilderness the next in the middle of a metropolitan area of 465,000.

On this map, you can see the Sycamore Basin. Crego is the forest in the upper-right and Fidelity Lake within it ever further to the right:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/57/18...72e_z.jpg?zz=1

This is basically an entire quarter of the city (southeast quarter) of old-growth forests with all kinds of flora and fauna with a few residential areas scattered along Aurelius.

LMich Apr 18, 2011 9:26 AM

Looking forward to this next wave, as things have slowed down and little else knew has been coming down the pipeline in the last few years:

Quote:

Redevelopment in sight? The Eyde Co. has plans to redevelop the Knapp's building to include office and retail space and high-end apartments. The project hinges on a complex financing deal. / Lansing State Journal file photo

What's next on the development front?

Melissa Domsic| Lansing State Journal

April 17, 2011

Accident Fund Holdings Inc.'s headquarters is the newest development to grace the downtown Lansing skyline.

But more is on the way. Here are some other upcoming projects:

• REO Town power plant: The Lansing Board of Water & Light plans to build a $182 million natural gas-powered electric and steam generation plant in REO Town, moving 180 workers to the district south of downtown Lansing. The public utility plans to construct an eight-story, 46,500-square-foot plant adjacent to the former Grand Trunk Western Railroad Depot on Washington Avenue. The depot will be restored and house office and meeting space. Construction is slated to begin in June and the plant should on-line by early 2013.

• Former Accident Fund headquarters: Starting in mid-July, Detroit insurer Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan plans to move nearly 300 Lansing-area employees from a site on South Creyts Road in Delta Township into Accident Fund's former 130,000-square-foot home office at 232 S. Capitol Ave. They should be settled in by September, Blue Cross President and CEO Dan Loepp said.

• Knapp's building: East Lansing developer Eyde Co. wants to turn the former Knapp's department store at the corner of Washington Square and Washtenaw Street into a building containing retailers, office space, a business incubator, high-end apartments and underground parking. The overall cost, including the value of the land and historic building, is $36.4 million. Eyde hopes to start preliminary work in the next couple of months and complete construction by late 2012 or early 2013. But the project hinges on several factors coming together in a complex financing package.

• Marketplace: Gillespie Group is working on floor plans for an 80- to 85-unit residential building for the former City Market site near the corner of Cedar and Shiawassee streets. The East Lansing-based developer, headed by Pat Gillespie, hopes to break ground later this year and complete the $6.5 million to $8.5 million building by spring 2013. Office and commercial buildings would be added depending on demand.

• Ballpark North: Gillespie also has proposed another mixed-use complex for the property north of Cooley Law School Stadium, though details have not been unveiled. Construction would begin after Marketplace.

LMich Apr 21, 2011 7:45 AM

Quote:

Rent-a-bike

by Andy Balaskovitz | Lansing City Pulse

April 18, 2011

Monday, April 18 — What if you needed to make a quick jaunt in the city, but you don’t own a car, the walk is too far and a bus might take too long?

At a press conference this morning at City Hall, a group of officials proposed a solution: a fee-based citywide bike-sharing program.

The Capital Community Bike Share would allow you to “rent a public bicycle for little to no cost at an automated station, bike to your destination, and return the bike at another station,” according to its website.

While funding is unsecured, costs are undetermined and how exactly the program would work is unresolved, officials are excited about the prospects.

Ingham County Treasurer Eric Schertzing led a group of local officials and transportation activists in December to explore the idea of Capital Community Bike Share.

“They help define community,” Schertzing said of bike-sharing programs, adding that Lansing’s will “rollout probably in 2012.”

Just my opinion, but I think for this to be truly successful right out of the gate, we need a bit more infrastructure, namely bike lanes/paths and the small business community and city taking the intiative to add bike racks in business districts, that would further build the culture here to a sustainable level.

subterranean Apr 21, 2011 12:30 PM

Kalamazoo is finally getting resurfaced from Penn to Cedar!!

That means one could very easily take a well-paved bike lane all the way from campus to downtown Lansing in a direct shot.

LMich Apr 26, 2011 5:51 AM

Looks like after ridership stagnated last year after having rose every year previous that CATA may be back to breaking records for the year:

Quote:

Pump pain grips area; delivery, moving businesses suffer as gas prices increase

Scott Davis | Lansing State Journal

April 25, 2011

But Lansing-area transit and school officials say gas prices also might be forcing some mid-Michigan residents to change their driving habits as more adults and teenagers rely on buses for transportation.

Last month, the Capital Area Transportation Authority recorded about 1.2 million rides - a 6.9 percent increase over March 2010 and the highest monthly ridership in CATA's 39-year history, CATA officials said. CATA offers public transportation in Lansing, East Lansing and in several Ingham County townships.

"We were starting to see a rise in the last couple of months," said Debbie Alexander, CATA's assistant executive director. "I can't guarantee it's all fuel (related), but I would say the market is responding to the cost of fuel, and they are making different choices for their transportation needs."

LMich May 3, 2011 4:22 AM

It'll be interesting to see how this ultimately works out. At the very least, Lansing and what's left of Lansing Township need to merge their public safety departments.

Quote:

All together now

By Andy Balaskovitz | Lansing City Pulse

May 2, 2011

Monday, May 2 — The Lansing City Council is scheduled to vote on a resolution at tonight’s meeting that would seek funding from the Michigan Municipal League to help study cost-saving measures for regionalizing fire services.

Lansing and East Lansing and Meridian, Lansing, Delhi and Delta townships have been meeting to discuss collaboration and fire services options in efforts to cut costs, the resolution says. The resolution is in support of doing a study and seeks $50,000 in financial assistance from the Michigan Municipal League to do it.

LMich May 5, 2011 9:33 AM

Quote:

Study: Lansing area in top 20 for job growth

Melissa Domsic | Lansing State Journal

May 5, 2011

The Lansing area is one of the top 20 midsize regions for job growth, according to a new national study.

The area - including Ingham, Eaton and Clinton counties - jumped 49 spots to No. 19 on public affairs website NewGeography.com's list of the top midsize cities for job growth.

"As much as it kind of feels like otherwise, it's not really surprising news to hear that economically, Greater Lansing is doing better than a lot of cities," said Kate Tykocki, spokeswoman for workforce development agency Capital Area Michigan Works.

New Geography used unemployment data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics to compile its list of 90 midsize cities. It also ranked large and small cities in separate lists.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/a...xt|FRONTPAGE|s

Quote:

Census data show Lansing area's population skews older

Melissa Domsic | Lansing State Journal

May 5, 2011

Greater Lansing's median age grew somewhat over the past decade, but still ranks younger than the overall state.

The median age in Ingham, Eaton and Clinton counties was 34.4, according to U.S. Census data released Wednesday. That's up about 5 percent from 32.7 in 2000.

Median age growth was larger statewide, coming in at 38.9, up nearly 10 percent from 35.5 in 2000.

DetroitMan May 7, 2011 4:12 PM

Developing Red Cedar golf course proposed
Voters might be asked to OK sale of Waverly, Red Cedar sites
7:17 AM, May. 7, 2011

Above is an artist's rendering of a concept for a portion of the Michigan Avenue gateway adjacent to the Red Cedar golf course.
Quote:

Lansing's economic development officials want the Red Cedar Golf Course transformed into a mixed-use development with housing, restaurants and retailers surrounded by a natural recreation area.

On Monday, City Council will get its first look at proposals that would ask voters for permission to sell a portion of the golf course along Michigan Avenue near the Frandor Shopping Center, as well as the Waverly Golf Course at Saginaw Street and Waverly Road and the adjacent Michigan Avenue Park at Michigan Avenue and Waverly Road.

Council members have until May 23 to make a decision in time to have the proposals placed on the Aug. 2 ballot.

DetroitMan May 7, 2011 4:15 PM

Ballot effort for casino in Lansing progressing

Quote:

More than 4,000 signatures have been collected in the past six weeks, according to the Lansing Jobs Coalition, the group seeking the casino. Organizers intend to submit their list May 13 to City Clerk Chris Swope.

Swope said his office has 15 days to verify that the signatures belong to registered city voters and pass it along to the Lansing City Council.

The coalition needs roughly 4,100 valid names, Swope said. Organizers would have 10 days to collect more if it’s determined they didn’t reach that threshold.
http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/a...sectionstories