SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

HX_Guy Oct 7, 2010 11:39 PM

Dodge Theatre changes name to Comerica
by Ed Masley - Oct. 7, 2010 03:46 PM
The Arizona Republic

The Dodge Theatre will now be known as the Comerica Theatre, which is probably better than changing its name to an unpronounceable symbol like once Prince did.
Live Nation announced a five-year sponsorship agreement with Comerica that includes the naming rights for the downtown Phoenix theatre.
The first show at the newly renamed venue will Jerry Seinfeld Saturday, Oct. 9th. (Seinfeld was, coincidentally, the first comedian to ever play the Dodge.)

"I would like to acknowledge the executive team at this outstanding theater. All of us at Comerica are proud of what they have been able to accomplish and appreciate their commitment to providing quality entertainment for residents and visitors," said Meredith Russell, Comerica's Arizona Regional President. "We are thrilled to lend the 'Comerica' name to this impressive theater and are especially pleased to support a venue that features world class performances from Live Nation. From theatrical productions to concerts, this theatre clearly enriches the cultural landscape of Phoenix."
Maureen Ford, Live Nation's president of Venue Network Sales, says, "We're proud that the Theatre will have the Comerica name. As one of our naming rights clients, we look forward to working with them as part of the Live Nation Venue Network to create programs that will enable them to reach, engage and connect with passionate fans and make Comerica Theatre one of the most frequented venues in Phoenix."

http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...#ixzz11ifMrzZq

dtnphx Oct 7, 2010 11:46 PM

I'm glad it changed names. When I think of Dodge, I think of shitty, belching, sub-par cars. To make matters worse, but more comical, they're now largely owned by Fiat (Fix It Again Tony)*

Back to my point, Comerica is horrible too. One of those corporate word mash ups that are designed to cover up what they really do.

Just feel like opinionating today. :koko:

*I'm Italian, so I get a special pass to make fun.

HX_Guy Oct 8, 2010 4:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5008037)

La Frontera @ 16th and van buren is the real carne asada burrito, but they don't market to hipster fags so everyone will always go to America's.

Dude! You didn't tell me it's a freaking roach coach! Haha I'm sitting here now under their tent canopy, it's a little after 9:00am and I'm about to bite into heir carbine aside burrito. :D

HX_Guy Oct 8, 2010 4:17 PM

Damn, this is good.

PHX31 Oct 8, 2010 4:18 PM

You drove all the way down there at 9:00am for a burrito on a whim?

HooverDam Oct 8, 2010 4:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtnphx (Post 5008354)
I'm glad it changed names. When I think of Dodge, I think of shitty, belching, sub-par cars. To make matters worse, but more comical, they're now largely owned by Fiat (Fix It Again Tony)*

Back to my point, Comerica is horrible too. One of those corporate word mash ups that are designed to cover up what they really do.

Just feel like opinionating today. :koko:

*I'm Italian, so I get a special pass to make fun.

I liked Dodge actually. For the same reason I like Chase Field and liked America West Arena. It wasn't "Dodge Trucks Theater" or "Dodge Automotive Theater", keeping it just "Dodge" it barely sounds corporate to me. Just like how Chase sounds OK because its not "Chase Bank Field" and America West just sounded like, well we're in America, in the West and its an arena, the word 'airlines' didn't appear.

Good corporate names:
Wrigley Field
Busch Stadium
Chase Field

Bad Corporate names:
US Airways Center
University of Phx Stadium
Jobing.com Arena (one of the worst)
Quicken Loans Arena

Vicelord John Oct 8, 2010 5:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HX_Guy (Post 5009146)
Damn, this is good.

First off you went at 9am? 2. They are actually open that early? 3. It is by far the best burrito in the city.

HX_Guy Oct 8, 2010 5:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 5009150)
You drove all the way down there at 9:00am for a burrito on a whim?

I had some business down at the main post office at 52nd St and Van Buren so on the way back up north, I stopped by. Great stuff, reminded me off the street food in Rocky Point. This place should have a food cart or something right downtown similar to how other big cities have hot dogs or whatever.

John...you're 1 for 1...now recommend me a great sushi place and a great hot dog stand. :)

HX_Guy Oct 8, 2010 5:28 PM

A new plan for historic site
ML Manager shopping Hotel Monroe to hospitality execs
PHOENIX BUSINESS JOURNAL - BY Jan Buchholz

The grand plans for the historic Professional Building at Central Avenue and Monroe Street have been on hold for the past few years, and now the owner is counting on something totally different at the site.
“We hope someone falls in love with it and buys it from us,” said Mark Winkleman, chief operating officer of ML Manager LLC, which took back the building via foreclosure proceedings in July.
Mark Snyder, principal of Snyder Nationwide Real Estate in Scottsdale, and Don Arones, executive vice president of Cassidy Turley/BRE Commercial in Phoenix, are marketing the property, which was built in 1931 as the Valley Trust Bank Building. It was slated a couple of years ago to become a chic boutique hotel called the Hotel Monroe.
The marketing process barely was under way when the annual Lodging Conference, an exclusive get-together of 1,200 high-level hospitality executives, rolled into town Sept. 21. Snyder set up several tours of the property.
“Everybody who looked at it was from out of state,” he said.
A few boutique hotel operators expressed interest. Representatives of Hilton Corp. took a look-see, too.
“About 95 percent of our interest has been from people who would want to go ahead with a hotel,” Snyder said.
Arones said a few other uses also have been discussed.
“There’s some interest in doing residential or student housing,” Arones said. “It could be a school.”
A call for offers likely will be issued by the end of the month, Snyder said.
Grace Communities, a now-defunct Scottsdale developer, acquired the 157,000-square-foot building in 2007 and began the remodeling process with a
$27 million loan from Phoenix commercial lender Mortgages Ltd. The money ran out in 2008, and Mortgages Ltd. was forced into Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization by several unhappy borrowers. Grace Communities was unable to find alternative financing.
When Mortgages Ltd. emerged from bankruptcy, it was renamed ML Manager LLC with the mission to administer the company’s portfolio of loans and foreclose on nonperforming loans. The would-be Hotel Monroe fell into that category.
The 12-story building remains vacant and largely open to the elements. The marble floors have been covered with thick cardboard. The ornate brass elevator doors and molding survived with minimal damage. Most of the building has been framed out for hotel rooms.
“It’s the largest limestone building in the state and has so much character and history to it,” Arones said.
Below the limestone, the base of the exterior is granite. The architect of record was Morgan, Walls & Clements, a highly acclaimed California firm in the early 20th century.
“The architecture is called Los Angeles modern influence design. The architect who designed it also designed the Hearst Castle,” Snyder said.
Because the building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it’s not likely to be torn down.
“No one is even interested in doing that,” Snyder said. “They are interested in preserving the structure.”

Vicelord John Oct 8, 2010 5:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HX_Guy (Post 5009224)
I had some business down at the main post office at 52nd St and Van Buren so on the way back up north, I stopped by. Great stuff, reminded me off the street food in Rocky Point. This place should have a food cart or something right downtown similar to how other big cities have hot dogs or whatever.

John...you're 1 for 1...now recommend me a great sushi place and a great hot dog stand. :)

There are only 3 sushi restaurants. Hana on 7av and missouri, yasu on tatum and cactus, and toyama on far and far i think it was pinnacle peak and pima.

What kind of hot dog? Every night there is a cart at 20th and indian school. Does sonoran style. For a chicago, there used to be two lesbians on1av and washington SEC.

HX_Guy Oct 8, 2010 5:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5009239)
There are only 3 sushi restaurants. Hana on 7av and missouri, yasu on tatum and cactus, and toyama on far and far i think it was pinnacle peak and pima.

Hmm, I've heard of Hana but never the other two. I usually go to Yen at 43rd Ave and Bell right now and it's pretty damn good.

Quote:

What kind of hot dog? Every night there is a cart at 20th and indian school. Does sonoran style. For a chicago, there used to be two lesbians on1av and washington SEC.
Don't even know what Sonoran hot dog is and I don't like Chicago style. The best I've ever had were on the street corners in San Francisco, the boiled wiener type of hot dog that pops when you bite into it with just mustard and onions.

Vicelord John Oct 8, 2010 5:53 PM

The Sonoran hot dog, found in Tucson, Metro Phoenix, and in neighboring Sonora, Mexico, is a hot dog grilled in a processor or on a griddle, wrapped in Mesquite-smoked bacon, topped with freshly chopped tomatoes, onions, shredded yellow or cotijo cheese, tomatillo salsa or red chili sauce, pinto beans, mayonnaise, ketchup and/or mustard, and served on bread. Often served with a fresh-roasted chili. Douglas, Arizona is known for the hot dog speciality with hot dog trucks lining many of the city's parks, the most famous being Rico's Hot Dogs who have claimed the 10th Street Park as their domain[1]

CPVLIVE Oct 8, 2010 6:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtnphx
When I think of Dodge, I think of shitty, belching, sub-par cars.

Interesting - I think of this:

http://images.thecarconnection.com/l...00145296_l.jpg

Dodge built the finest muscle car power plants ever.

Vicelord John Oct 8, 2010 6:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPVLIVE (Post 5009277)
Interesting - I think of this:

http://images.thecarconnection.com/l...00145296_l.jpg

Dodge built the finest muscle car power plants ever.

What? An overpriced car with a plastiky interior, a transmission that will grenade at 60k, only can go in a straight line, and doesn't engage the driver?

Coincidentally I think of that when I hear Dodge as well.

CPVLIVE Oct 8, 2010 8:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John
What? An overpriced car with a plastiky interior, a transmission that will grenade at 60k, only can go in a straight line, and doesn't engage the driver?

Coincidentally I think of that when I hear Dodge as well.

To each his own. Those early Dodge Hemi-Cuda's apparently have more than a few fans as they have proven at auction. They'll run you anywhere from 200-400K.

Vicelord John Oct 8, 2010 8:31 PM

You posted a new one. Can't compare apples to oranges.

PHX31 Oct 12, 2010 8:28 PM

FYI, "The Living Room", a wine bar and cafe has opened in Sheridan Square, which is 7th Street and Sheridan (between McDowell and Thomas), adjacent to the Coronado neighborhood. It is going in the location where trente cinque, ie 35, used to be located.

I dunno how it's going to do. It seems to be very similar to The Main Ingredient, which is very popular and which I like a lot. Doesn't seem like they'll compliment each other very well.

I believe there is another "The Living Room" in Chandler.

combusean Oct 15, 2010 10:45 PM

DEVELOPMENT NEWS AT LAST!!! And good news at that.

Company proposes an indoor snow park
Site would be on 38 acres in south-central Phoenix

by Emily Gersema - Oct. 15, 2010 03:25 PM
The Arizona Republic

Quote:

An investment company wants to build a year-round winter wonderland about 2 miles southwest of downtown Phoenix with help from the city and a state law that allows cities to provide tax-exempt bonds for theme parks.

Catalyst Land Holdings LLC, led by businessmen Chadwic Gifford and Craig Campbell, proposes developing a snow-theme park on 38 acres that Catalyst owns next to an old city landfill near 19th Avenue and Buckeye Road.

Gifford and Campbell did not return phone calls seeking comment.

Company representative Jorge "George" Cordova told the Phoenix City Council's Downtown, Aviation and Economy Subcommittee last week that Catalyst would, if the city agrees, build sports and cultural complexes on the former landfill after developing the theme park.

A spokesman for the Catalyst project, Troy Corder, described the proposed theme park, the Freeze Zone, as "the country's first indoor snow play zone."

"Our plan is to provide an experience that allows children to build snowmen, sled down a hill or have a good old-fashioned snowball fight even when it is over 100 degrees outside," Corder said.

He said the proposal was conceptual at this point.

Cordova said Catalyst representatives had studied snow parks in Japan, which has a half-dozen such parks, and Dubai, which is home to the Ski Dubai Resort, where visitors can ski and snowboard indoors.

Cordova was the main lobbyist for special theme-park legislation five years ago that then-Gov. Janet Napolitano and the Legislature approved to allow construction of theme parks with municipal tax-exempt bond money.

Under the law, an investor group must come up with $500 million to pay for the project before any bonds can be issued, and a developer must be found to handle the project. One theme-park taxing district is allowed per city, and the district is overseen by a board.

The law includes a provision that would help a private investment group finance the plan. Those who use the parks would pay an extra 9 percent sales tax on roller-coaster rides, concerts and other purchases. Arizonans who never visit the district would pay no additional taxes. The law will expire on Dec. 31, 2013.

When Napolitano signed House Bill 2365 in 2005, two large theme parks had been proposed - one in west Phoenix and another in Williams.

They have not been built. Representatives of the company behind both of those theme-park ideas, Grand Canyon Northland Amusements and Entertainment LLC, said the company was still working on financing.

In 2008, developers proposed an $800 million music theme park in Eloy, about 65 miles south of downtown Phoenix. The plan was spiked when the recession hit.

The Phoenix subcommittee has backed, on a 4-0 vote, Catalyst's proposal to put sports and cultural centers on the former city landfill. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency deemed the property safe for new development in 2006 after a nine-year Superfund cleanup to rid the land of toxic waste.

Councilwoman Thelda Williams, whose district spans northwest Phoenix, said that although she supported the proposal, she worried the theme park would pose a competitive threat for water parks in her area.

Cordova offered her an assurance, saying the Catalyst park "will not cannibalize" those other parks.

The city could repossess the former landfill if Catalyst failed to line up funding and build the sports and cultural complexes.

The City Council is expected to vote on the proposal by early November.

Vicelord John Oct 15, 2010 11:30 PM

pipe dream. I'd use it if it happened.

bwonger06 Oct 16, 2010 9:19 PM

Some biomedical news:

Quote:

The City of Phoenix has begun a process to identify a private developer of a new building on the downtown Phoenix Biomedical Campus. The new building, which would be at least 100,000 square feet, would make available laboratory and office space for biotech companies that have coveted proximity to some of the Arizona's most important bioscience institutions.

http://www.flinn.org/news/973
The first round deadline was September 3. This project would almost be a guaranteed success seeing the land is going to be practically free and the demand for lab space in the adjacent area is very high.

Also related news,

Quote:

"A Seattle company that is developing technology for the early development of cancer is moving its headquarters to the Phoenix Biomedical Campus.
VisionGate Inc., the first for-profit company to call the campus home, will bring $3.4 million in federal funding and 21 employees here from Seattle within six months. It also will hire 25 more — including a president to oversee day-to-day operations — within 18 months, said Alan Nelson, VisionGate’s founder, chairman and CEO.

Read more: Seattle biotech firm, VisionGate Inc., moving HQ to Valley - Phoenix Business Journal"
I also know ASU business students are helping a new Venture Capital type firm launch spinoff projects by biotech scientist. Its still very early right now and still somewhat of a pipe dream but Phoenix may some day be able to build up enough human capital (like a Silicon Valley or Boston) to become a real player in the tech/health sector.

Only thing I am afraid of is seeing projects like Chandlers Continuum impede and maybe destroy all synergies going into the future. You need to localize all the key scientists in one or two areas and the Chandler project can only hurt Tempe BioDesign and Phoenix Biotech Campus.

Quote:

Capital Commercial Investments Inc. is hoping to attract corporate headquarters, data centers and businesses in growth sectors such as bioscience and renewable energy to Continuum, a $750 million, 152-acre master-planned project in Chandler.

Read more: Capital Commercial to begin work on $750M Continuum in Chandler - Phoenix Business Journal