SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | NEMA Chicago | 896 FT | 81 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218570)

AlpacaObsessor Sep 14, 2019 2:01 AM

Picture from a few weeks ago. I feel like Nema and Essex complement each other just perfectly from certain angles.

https://i.imgur.com/BXJYDZ0h.jpg

BonoboZill4 Sep 14, 2019 6:36 PM

That's a super cool perspective there, Alpaca. Never thought about how they'd really help layer the South Loop's skyline when looking from the Northwest

Elliphant Sep 16, 2019 8:16 PM

So anyone around here thinking about moving in?

BonoboZill4 Sep 21, 2019 5:48 PM

I'm starting to wonder if they ran out of money... they never finished painting it

harryc Sep 22, 2019 3:33 AM

Chicago | Global Warming by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Danie Sep 22, 2019 4:16 AM

This building looks impressive

Little_T Sep 25, 2019 12:17 AM

How many top floors are mechanical or non-habitable. Depending on the angle it looks as though it could be anywhere from 7 to 11 floors. I'm definitely no builder but it seems like a lot of added floor space for the mechanics.

LouisVanDerWright Sep 25, 2019 3:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little_T (Post 8697249)
How many top floors are mechanical or non-habitable. Depending on the angle it looks as though it could be anywhere from 7 to 11 floors. I'm definitely no builder but it seems like a lot of added floor space for the mechanics.

Only one tube forms the penthouse which appears from the outside to be 5 floors. It's actually only like two or three mechanical floors and the top two "floors" are actually just a screen that hides the window washing equipment.

bhawk66 Sep 26, 2019 1:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 8697394)
Only one tube forms the penthouse which appears from the outside to be 5 floors. It's actually only like two or three mechanical floors and the top two "floors" are actually just a screen that hides the window washing equipment.

That's partially correct. The top two "screened" floors also have mechanical. Just go back several pages and you can see the massive unit there. The window washing equipment is on top as seen in the photo above. :tup:

MorganChi Sep 26, 2019 1:53 AM

Sorry if this been asked but what’s the word on her twin any one knows ?

RedCorsair87 Sep 26, 2019 2:04 AM

I don't think anyone has posted anything here regarding the taller, twin sister. I imagine it is awhile away. NEMA has A LOT of units to fill. Essex and the Paragon were recently completed. 1000M is supposed to start next month. There is a lot of competition in the South Loop at the moment.

Put here's to hoping it crosses the imaginary supertall line! :cheers:

And why the hell is this still half unpainted?

BonoboZill4 Sep 26, 2019 2:52 AM

I thought we'd been over this many times. The developer has no plans for making tower two a twin

HomrQT Sep 26, 2019 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 (Post 8698499)
I thought we'd been over this many times. The developer has no plans for making tower two a twin

I didn't see that. Did they announce this? Because they released several render iterations of a taller twin. One of them is still visible on page one of this thread.

Steely Dan Sep 26, 2019 1:37 PM

^ the truth is that we don't know what exactly crescent heights has in mind for the 2nd site.

- maybe they build a NEMA "twin"?

- maybe they build something altogether different?

- maybe they sit on the lot for a decade+?

- maybe they sell it to a different developer?

- who knows?

those who know don't talk, and those who talk don't know.

BonoboZill4 Sep 26, 2019 4:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomrQT (Post 8698708)
I didn't see that. Did they announce this? Because they released several render iterations of a taller twin. One of them is still visible on page one of this thread.

You are absolutely correct that they use a taller twin in the renderings, but it's listed as a "placeholder" design as of right now.

Tbh though, a twin would make sense to me based on how the bases of the two towers met. I can only hope the second tower doesn't make some weird choice where it doesn't completely block the base

gebs Sep 26, 2019 4:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 (Post 8698918)
You are absolutely correct that they use a taller twin in the renderings, but it's listed as a "placeholder" design as of right now.

Tbh though, a twin would make sense to me based on how the bases of the two towers met. I can only hope the second tower doesn't make some weird choice where it doesn't completely block the base

I've gotten the sense that this forum has, in the court of public opinion, migrated away from the idea of a taller twin, almost falling out of love with it.

Given its massing, profile, and musculature, I would love a taller, nearly identical tower rising higher to its west. I don't think anything curved or delicate would fit with the rest of the Roosevelt wall of towers.

maru2501 Sep 26, 2019 5:38 PM

there is precedent in marina city

nomarandlee Sep 26, 2019 6:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gebs (Post 8698947)
I've gotten the sense that this forum has, in the court of public opinion, migrated away from the idea of a taller twin, almost falling out of love with it.

Given its massing, profile, and musculature, I would love a taller, nearly identical tower rising higher to its west. I don't think anything curved or delicate would fit with the rest of the Roosevelt wall of towers.

I can only gage by the responses on this forum but my sense is just the opposite, that given the exceded expectations of the east tower that more would welcome the idea of a taller twin west tower. I know I'm in that camp that has transitioned from a no to a yes. Even if I would find the decision for a twin tower to be a bit of a conservative one.

HomrQT Sep 27, 2019 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gebs (Post 8698947)

I would love a taller complimentary tower to pair with it, not a perfect twin. Something that retains a similar geometric design and coloration but different enough to not look like a taller carbon copy.

BonoboZill4 Sep 27, 2019 2:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomrQT (Post 8699572)
I would love a taller complimentary tower to pair with it, not a perfect twin. Something that retains a similar geometric design and coloration but different enough to not look like a taller carbon copy.

I second this

RedCorsair87 Sep 27, 2019 2:20 PM

^Here, here!

Ned.B Sep 27, 2019 5:54 PM

Vinoly has set up a vocabulary that I think has some great opportunity for variation. There could be setbacks in a different arrangement--maybe in an opposite fashion, spiraling clockwise instead of counter--cutouts in different locations, maybe even a cantilevered element like the pool of NEMA used to greater effect facing the park. I think there are many opportunities to make a tower that is clearly part of a set but has its own personality.

Chi-Sky21 Sep 27, 2019 6:13 PM

Something like The MahaNakhon Skyscraper except have the broken up pieces be over a majority of the building would look cool i think.

BonoboZill4 Oct 1, 2019 1:24 AM

https://i.imgur.com/Q9OcDBo.jpg?1

Tom In Chicago Oct 7, 2019 7:57 PM

I'm thinking this one is done. . . anyhow updated the floor count to accommodate the 5 mechanical floors atop the 76 storey residential units. . .

. . .