SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

combusean Feb 21, 2010 3:28 AM

VLJ, you have a weird perception of homosexuality. Gay people aren't nearly as interesting as you describe.

Quote:

Listens to bands that you have never heard of.
Gay people listen to an onslaught of bad techno and overplayed pop music.

Quote:

Has hairstyle that can only be described as "complicated." (Most likely achieved by a minimum of one week not washing it.)
It is extremely rare to see a gay guy with hair longer than 1/2". Fauxhawks dominate, much to my nausea.

Quote:

Probably tattooed.
something you see on straight guys WAY more often.

Quote:

Maybe gay.
Where?

Quote:

Definitely cooler than you.
ok, pretension is one thing the homos have.

Quote:

Reads Black Book, Nylon, and the Styles section of the New York Times.
gay people don't read.

Quote:

Drinks Pabst Blue Ribbon.
Gay people drink Bud Light, cheap cocktails, or occasionally wine if they're nesting at home.

Quote:

Often. Complains.
LOL. Ok.

Quote:

Probably living off parents money - and spends a great deal of it to look like they don't have any.
Gay people get out of the house ASAP, and spend all their damn money to make it look like they have some.

Quote:

Has friends and/or self cut hair. Dyes it frequently (black, white-blonde, etc. and until scalp bleeds).
Not something gay people do.

Quote:

Has a closet full of clothing but usually wears same three things OVER AND OVER (most likely very tight black pants, scarf, and ironic tee-shirt).
Gay people wear blue, exclusively. Go into BS West on any given night and it's like a concentration camp.

Quote:

Chips off nail polish artfully after $50 manicure.
The homos that were nail polish are almost entirely dissed on by the quasi-masculinity complex.

Quote:

Sleeps with everyone and talks about it at great volume in crowded coffee shops.
Ok.

Quote:

Addicted to coffee, cigarettes (Parliaments, Kamel Reds, Lucky Strikes, etc.), and possibly cocaine.
Coffee, definitely. Cigarettes are too passe.

Quote:

Claims to be in a band. Rehearsals consist of choosing outfits for next show and drinking PBR.
Gay people do not play instruments. At all.

Quote:

Always on the list.
I don't know anything gay around here that has a list.

Quote:

Majors or majored in art, writing, or queer studies.
Again, not gay.

Quote:

Name-drops.
OK.

Quote:

May go by "Penny Lane," "Eleanor Rigby," etc. when drunk. On PBR. Which is usually.
Maybe. But not likely.

needless to say I'm quite jaded.

SunDevil Feb 21, 2010 6:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 4710150)
VLJ, you have a weird perception of homosexuality...

Vicelord wasn't talking about gay people, he was talking about hipsters.

Vicelord John Feb 21, 2010 7:32 AM

Sean.... You completely missed the joke.

Honest question, are you gay? You've made several comments that make me wonder. I just wonder cause you seem to stand up for them a lot.

combusean Feb 21, 2010 9:08 AM

Yes I know, I didn't miss any joke. VLJ said hipters were like straight homosexuals, then began to describe everything that gay people are not.

I didn't think I was standing up for gay people, if anything I was dissing every last one of their establishments and nearly everything I know of the stereotype. I've been extremely burned out with that scene if you can't tell.

Leo the Dog Feb 21, 2010 1:14 PM

While we're on the topic of the latest fashion trends in America, I'd like to point out a personal observation of mine. I don't know if they'd be classified as "hipsters" or what, but there are times when I can't tell if a passerby (in DT or even at a suburban mall) is a homeless person, or just an ultra MTV zombie, trendy, alternative, "hipster", that shops at Urban Outfitters (an overpriced chain store pretending to be an unique urban outpost) walking by. (This also includes the hip/hop culture too).

We, as a society, have become too casual and appear to be complete slobs. I'd love to see the day when people actually shower and clean up before going out in public. People used to wear nice clothes to sporting events, planes/trains, shopping DT etc. Now, the cool thing is to appear as unkept as possible, and to come across totally uneducated, or like a thug.

PhxPavilion Feb 22, 2010 1:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plinko (Post 4706890)
That is ENTIRELY wrong. In the Western US where there is an abundance of natural gas, that is how they are fed (the natural gas is coverted to hydrogen and the off-gassing is used in other ways). Fuel cells are becoming very common in all sorts of places that require large energy use (industrial plants, community pools, large office buildings) and recently they've even become small and efficient enough for larger homes with large energy loads (the extra generated heat is then used to heat the pool).

In fact fuel cells are far more efficient power sources for buildings than they are vs. mobile uses (cars, etc).

The process for separating hydrogen elements from natural bonds is very energy intensive. The efficiency in the natural gas > hydrogen > fuel cell > electricity cycle is fairly low, typically around 35-45% (about the same as coal and natural gas fired plants); yes you can increase that by using the heat byproduct generated in a variety of ways but it's not the most optimal (taking into consideration limited use and transportation losses). Ultimately it is a substitution of one finite fuel for another.

Mind you, I'm not saying it isn't an improvement (mainly because it's less polluting) however it's not a very big one.

I mentioned mobile fuel cells because they are currently a better alternative to batteries in terms of energy storage and output to size.

PhxPavilion Feb 22, 2010 3:46 AM

I have no idea what a hipster is but I like at least some of their music since M83 are apparently hipsters.

plinko Feb 22, 2010 5:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhxPavilion (Post 4711410)
The process for separating hydrogen elements from natural bonds is very energy intensive. The efficiency in the natural gas > hydrogen > fuel cell > electricity cycle is fairly low, typically around 35-45% (about the same as coal and natural gas fired plants); yes you can increase that by using the heat byproduct generated in a variety of ways but it's not the most optimal (taking into consideration limited use and transportation losses). Ultimately it is a substitution of one finite fuel for another.

Mind you, I'm not saying it isn't an improvement (mainly because it's less polluting) however it's not a very big one.

I mentioned mobile fuel cells because they are currently a better alternative to batteries in terms of energy storage and output to size.

Actually the efficiencies are much more than that based on the fact that you wouldn't put in a fuel cell at a building unless you used the heat byproduct ONSITE. At a house you use it for heating the pool and hot water uses. In a skyscraper, it could be easily used to satisfy any hot water need and also to satisfy a substantial portion of the heating loads of the building. There is no transportation loss.

Take the energy generated and add a flow battery of some type to store any extra energy and you can vastly increase the efficiency even more.

But yes, it does increase the natural gas loads substantially (but it's much cheaper).

FortyAcres Feb 22, 2010 6:02 AM

reading the last 2 pages reminded me exactly why phoenix is the way it is.

if the alabama chapter of USAA had a message board entitled Shit Old People Say, that would have been it.

good fucking lord, very intense.

NorthScottsdale Feb 22, 2010 5:05 PM

You people have a lot of stereotypes about people. The gay community is very diverse and is full of very different people. As far as "hipsters" downtown, why hate on them so much? Isn't that what we want downtown? Bars that are hopping and busy? First people complain how downtown is dead, and now you hate on people that are livening it up?

Vicelord, do you like anybody?

Vicelord John Feb 22, 2010 5:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthScottsdale (Post 4712285)
You people have a lot of stereotypes about people. The gay community is very diverse and is full of very different people. As far as "hipsters" downtown, why hate on them so much? Isn't that what we want downtown? Bars that are hopping and busy? First people complain how downtown is dead, and now you hate on people that are livening it up?

Vicelord, do you like anybody?

They are typically the type who walk into an establishment and spend little (if any) money and then complain and act like they own the place. They are typically inconsiderate as can be, and if you go to first friday and one tries to run you off the sidewalk, you'll notice it more and more.

And yeah, I like lots of people. I like people with a head on their shoulders, who excersize humility, and are considerate to other people... as long as they don't smell.

PhxPavilion Feb 22, 2010 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plinko (Post 4711735)
Actually the efficiencies are much more than that based on the fact that you wouldn't put in a fuel cell at a building unless you used the heat byproduct ONSITE. At a house you use it for heating the pool and hot water uses. In a skyscraper, it could be easily used to satisfy any hot water need and also to satisfy a substantial portion of the heating loads of the building. There is no transportation loss.

Take the energy generated and add a flow battery of some type to store any extra energy and you can vastly increase the efficiency even more.

But yes, it does increase the natural gas loads substantially (but it's much cheaper).

Theoretical efficiency can go up to 70% in the cases you mention however you know very well actual yields are quite different. The efficiency of fuel cells also decrease proportional to the energy demand placed on them.

My point is, I do not consider the technology to be renewable on the level of wind or solar but merely a better alternative to coal or nuclear. What I don't understand is why this state doesn't capitalize on solar thermal power plants, there are ways to store the energy for night time use.

SunDevil Feb 23, 2010 2:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FortyAcres (Post 4711774)
reading the last 2 pages reminded me exactly why phoenix is the way it is.

if the alabama chapter of USAA had a message board entitled Shit Old People Say, that would have been it.

good fucking lord, very intense.

Passion and drama are "Shit Old People Say"? I guess people in Austin fart rainbows and smell of cinnamon buns.

dtnphx Feb 23, 2010 6:37 PM

Regarding a past posting about the construction debris at the Qwest demolition site, this is from Councilman Tom Simplot's Monthly Email.

Update on Qwest Builing Demolition/Clean-Up

The former Qwest building at the corner of 3rd St. and Earll Dr. was imploded last year on September 26, 2009 with a condition that debris was to be removed by the end of December. The property owners are now in default of this demolition permit and the City has formally contacted the insurance company to collect on the performance bond. During this administrative process, we will insure that the property remains secure for the safety of residents.

We will keep you posted as the performance bond process progresses. In the meantime, if you notice any suspicious activity on the property, I encourage you to contact the Phoenix Police Department (602-262-6151) and my office (602-262-7447).

glynnjamin Feb 23, 2010 6:49 PM

I was chatting with a guy who represents a group trying to get a pro soccer team in Phoenix (USL not MLS) and he said they have their eyes on the Greyhound park for a stadium. Any thoughts?

mwadswor Feb 23, 2010 7:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynnjamin (Post 4714317)
I was chatting with a guy who represents a group trying to get a pro soccer team in Phoenix (USL not MLS) and he said they have their eyes on the Greyhound park for a stadium. Any thoughts?

Spectacular location. I've never been inside the Greyhound park so I can't speak about the stadium itself, but I love the location. It's in the middle of town, it's at a light rail stop, and it'd be convenient for me :D

CANUC Feb 23, 2010 8:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynnjamin (Post 4714317)

Doesn't Skyharbor own that land and don't they plan on eventually building another runway?

Vicelord John Feb 23, 2010 9:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwadswor (Post 4714378)
Spectacular location. I've never been inside the Greyhound park so I can't speak about the stadium itself, but I love the location. It's in the middle of town, it's at a light rail stop, and it'd be convenient for me :D

It's three stops away from my house, so I'd love it.

Tempe_Duck Feb 23, 2010 9:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CANUC (Post 4714554)
Doesn't Skyharbor own that land and don't they plan on eventually building another runway?

They might own the land, but they will never be able to build a new runway there unless the can convince Honeywell. The only way Honeywell will move is if the City builds them a new complex which is estimated at a couple billion. They have machines built into building there, it won't be easy or quick to move them.

gymratmanaz Feb 23, 2010 9:19 PM

Maybe a temporary lease pending on the runway if it happens. Then the team could find a new location. I would rather see the land and stadium used for something. That would be exciting!!!