SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   CHICAGO | Salesforce Tower | 850 FT | 60 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217949)

galleyfox Oct 4, 2022 2:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagodeckerdude (Post 9750677)
Wait, apparel mart as in merchandise mart? you think that would ever get tore down? Also, I love the footprint of that building. Strong looking.

EMP?

Apparel Mart is the ugly building behind Merchandise Mart and Salesforce.

East Bank Club is the warehouse looking fitness club.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FeO7rHOWAAAR-1h.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FeO7rHLXoAIbkQi.jpg

Klippenstein Oct 4, 2022 4:08 PM

according to Wikipedia, the Apparel Center/Mart is 2 million square feet. If torn down a super tall and even another skyscraper or two could be constructed to replace the square footage. I’d be happy with that.

r18tdi Oct 4, 2022 5:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klippenstein (Post 9750803)
according to Wikipedia, the Apparel Center/Mart is 2 million square feet.

And Salesforce will be what, 1.2 million sqf? Something like that?

left of center Oct 4, 2022 6:05 PM

The Apparel Center, as catastrophically ugly as it is, is still in good structural shape, mostly fully leased and profitable. Unlikely its going away anytime soon, unless a big time corporate entity wants to build a trophy tower here.

The ECB on the other hand probably has a more realistic chance of getting redeveloped at some point. I could see them voluntarily moving if the price is right. Probably wont happen until all available lots in the immediate vicinity have already been developed, however. There's still tons of land north of Chicago Ave, although those come with costly affordable/subsidized housing strings attached that is keeping development at bay there for now as well.

chicagodeckerdude Oct 4, 2022 6:26 PM

[QUOTE=galleyfox;9750699]Apparel Mart is the ugly building behind Merchandise Mart and Salesforce.

East Bank Club is the warehouse looking fitness club.

Thanks for the clarification

mh777 Oct 4, 2022 7:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 9751003)
The Apparel Center, as catastrophically ugly as it is, is still in good structural shape, mostly fully leased and profitable. Unlikely its going away anytime soon, unless a big time corporate entity wants to build a trophy tower here.

The ECB on the other hand probably has a more realistic chance of getting redeveloped at some point. I could see them voluntarily moving if the price is right. Probably wont happen until all available lots in the immediate vicinity have already been developed, however. There's still tons of land north of Chicago Ave, although those come with costly affordable/subsidized housing strings attached that is keeping development at bay there for now as well.

No way EBC moves! I believe they've owned that land for a very long time and speaking from being a member myself, EBC is an absolute gold mine. The number of members paying $250+ a month is absolutely ridiculous and that's not changing as there's essentially zero competition. I can't think of a business case where it'd make more sense to sell/build elsewhere.

Steely Dan Oct 4, 2022 7:33 PM

^ yeah, i don't see EBC going anywhere anytime soon.

the big shame of EBC is that it was built back in the era when the river was something to turn your back on; a dirty, smelly open sewer to be shunned and scorned.

imagine the golden opportunity they'd have if they were designing one of the city's most high-end health clubs from scratch on that riverfront site today.

nomarandlee Oct 5, 2022 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mh777 (Post 9751084)
No way EBC moves! I believe they've owned that land for a very long time and speaking from being a member myself, EBC is an absolute gold mine. The number of members paying $250+ a month is absolutely ridiculous and that's not changing as there's essentially zero competition. I can't think of a business case where it'd make more sense to sell/build elsewhere.

Perhaps if a high-heeled developer went into a joint agreement with the EBC that incorporated a new updated EBC complex as part of a 2 or 3-tower complex perhaps? Just spitballing obviously. I could see how that would be beneficial for both. The logistics of development would be a nightmare of course. It would probably be staged so that the EBC would remain partially open in that scenario.

Chi-Sky21 Oct 5, 2022 12:13 AM

Should have ALL been incorporated with Wolf point in my opinion. Just need a few billion dollars that's all.

mh777 Oct 5, 2022 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomarandlee (Post 9751430)
Perhaps if a high-heeled developer went into a joint agreement with the EBC that incorporated a new updated EBC complex as part of a 2 or 3-tower complex perhaps? Just spitballing obviously. I could see how that would be beneficial for both. The logistics of development would be a nightmare of course. It would probably be staged so that the EBC would remain partially open in that scenario.

I could definitely see that but I just don’t know how it’d be possible keeping EBC open while concurrently building a high rise on the same land. I guess you could throw up a high rise on the lot on the south part of the site which is basically a drive lane but that’s essentially it. Just seems like it’d be a nightmare of a project and a MASSIVE cost.

SolarWind Oct 5, 2022 9:40 PM

October 3, 2022




Ned.B Oct 6, 2022 1:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mh777 (Post 9751669)
I could definitely see that but I just don’t know how it’d be possible keeping EBC open while concurrently building a high rise on the same land. I guess you could throw up a high rise on the lot on the south part of the site which is basically a drive lane but that’s essentially it. Just seems like it’d be a nightmare of a project and a MASSIVE cost.

I'm essentially doing this for a YMCA in another city right now. A developer is building a residential tower on the site and the YMCA is contracting into half of their existing building while the new tower and new, more compact YMCA addition are being built on the other half. Knowing nothing about the interior arrangement of EBC, something similar could be done here.

mh777 Oct 6, 2022 3:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ned.B (Post 9752990)
I'm essentially doing this for a YMCA in another city right now. A developer is building a residential tower on the site and the YMCA is contracting into half of their existing building while the new tower and new, more compact YMCA addition are being built on the other half. Knowing nothing about the interior arrangement of EBC, something similar could be done here.

That’s the problem.. EBC has over 5 (I’ve never checked so maybe more?) tennis courts, 3 pools, 2 basketball courts, restaurant & bar, hair salon, massive weight room, etc etc. It’s an entire compound. I just don’t see how you fit that into a new high rise, let alone temporary relocate.

ardecila Oct 6, 2022 3:09 PM

Yeah a lot of those spaces (tennis court, pool, basketball) require long-span structures. Extremely costly to build a highrise on top of a long-span structure.

I think East Bank Club is there to stay, but it may be possible to extend the riverwalk along the frontage and renovate the lower level so it opens to the river.

EBC did sell their parking lot to Habitat a few years ago and they put up a highrise, so they aren't opposed to more development around them and gradually shifting to walk-in members from the neighborhood instead of driving/valet members.

thegoatman Oct 7, 2022 12:06 AM

Don't mean to get off topic, but I heard East Bank Club is one of the best fitness/lifestyle clubs in the country, is that true?

BVictor1 Oct 7, 2022 1:27 AM

10.02.22
https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/render...&ts=1665064353

10.03.22
https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/render...&ts=1665041119

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/render...&ts=1665041119

Klippenstein Oct 7, 2022 2:46 AM

Today


thegoatman Oct 7, 2022 3:24 AM

^100% agree. Even if the structures were all glass, they definitely could have done something more interesting with them.

Chicagolover88 Oct 7, 2022 4:43 AM

Such an underwhelming and boring building.

iLeunamme Oct 7, 2022 1:21 PM

Not to add to the negative views on this project...
But am I the only one that gets bothered by WPW? I know it was designed by a different team and it's pretty much blocked by WPS, but it just seems so out of place. Different facade and design elements from WPE AND WPS.
The development would look somewhat better if all three buildings were similar in design.

twister244 Oct 7, 2022 3:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iLeunamme (Post 9754303)
Not to add to the negative views on this project...
But am I the only one that gets bothered by WPW? I know it was designed by a different team and it's pretty much blocked by WPS, but it just seems so out of place. Different facade and design elements from WPE AND WPS.
The development would look somewhat better if all three buildings were similar in design.

No - You aren't the only one. To me, WPE is vastly more appealing to the eyes. Even though the overall form doesn't seem that different than this building, the facade makes the building stand out a bit more. The Salesforce building here just looks like another generic blue box. I don't hate the building, I'm just not into it. OCS is blue glass building too, but it looks so elegant and beautiful, and would have regardless of where in the city it was placed. This thing just looks.... meh.

For me, the only potential redeeming factor is how the crown lighting turns out. I really wish OCS had some sort of crown lighting, but alas - It doesn't. Hopefully this building can light up the river corridor at night with something other than the Salesforce logo. Verdict is out on this though.....

HomrQT Oct 9, 2022 1:47 AM

Dangit it would have been nice if this one had another 30 floors in height on it. This would have been such a prominent, amazing stage to display a supertall.


Quote:

Originally Posted by iLeunamme (Post 9754303)
Not to add to the negative views on this project...
But am I the only one that gets bothered by WPW? I know it was designed by a different team and it's pretty much blocked by WPS, but it just seems so out of place. Different facade and design elements from WPE AND WPS.
The development would look somewhat better if all three buildings were similar in design.

I'm actually leaning towards being ok with it. The diversity of that tower gives a little bit of a "city within a city" vibe to me. If they had all been the same and looked like part of a set it might have been too much. Something I'd have to think about more.

Klippenstein Oct 9, 2022 4:04 AM

I know the quality is terrible and the timing is not right, but I think this is one of the best views of this tower. You're far enough away that it stands out and the angle is such that you can see its depth unlike the views from the river.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2bda3ce3_k.jpg

PittsburghPA Oct 13, 2022 9:37 PM

https://i.imgur.com/IcneDox.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2dZchqW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rJQErhD.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/b9usH7B.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KLL4BoI.jpg

Klippenstein Oct 16, 2022 2:33 AM

Today

I'm officially naming these four, The Monoliths.










rivernorthlurker Oct 16, 2022 3:09 AM

Saw this view from Fulton East as well (will post my pics soon). Btw the view in person is mind blowing.

Initially they seemed a bit clumsy and bland with the four kind of unnaturally similar and aligned together, but honestly in person it works really well. These make the Loop look rather imposing from Fulton - obviously much more than before they were built. The scale doesn't translate well in the photos. It has a weirdly signature look.

I'm going witth the Four Horsemen of the Windy City.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klippenstein (Post 9761690)
Today

I'm officially naming these four, The Monoliths.


[/IMG]


Klippenstein Oct 16, 2022 3:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker (Post 9761700)
Saw this view from Fulton East as well (will post my pics soon). Btw the view in person is mind blowing.

Initially they seemed a bit clumsy and bland with the four kind of unnaturally similar and aligned together, but honestly in person it works really well. These make the Loop look rather imposing from Fulton - obviously much more than before they were built. The scale doesn't translate well in the photos. It has a weirdly signature look.

I'm going witth the Four Horsemen of the Windy City.

Could be the Four Horsemen of the Confluence... :haha:

rivernorthlurker Oct 16, 2022 3:18 AM

A few blue glass buildings looks like an eyesore. A city of blue glass buildings looks like the future. :shrug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klippenstein (Post 9761690)
Today



rivernorthlurker Oct 16, 2022 3:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klippenstein (Post 9761704)
Could be the Four Horsemen of the Confluence... :haha:

The Four Horsemen of Wolf Point? Now that sounds legendary.

galleyfox Oct 16, 2022 3:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker (Post 9761711)
The Four Horsemen of Wolf Point? Now that sounds legendary.

I like simplicity.

The Bluestones of Chicagohenge.

https://youtu.be/BnQLO5oHQPI

BVictor1 Oct 16, 2022 4:44 AM

10.08.22
https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/render...&ts=1665381593

10.15.22
https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/render...&ts=1665892111

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/render...&ts=1665892233

dropdeaded209 Oct 16, 2022 7:20 AM

nice catch of the Sears tower filling up the prow of WPS. Unfortunately the tower projects an illusion of entasis, which the setbacks up top do nothing to resolve. A fat man wearing a little cap.

The skinny overextended columns at the base don't help matters either. Even squat Merchandise Mart does verticality better than this mediocre monolith!

WOOF!

chicubs111 Oct 16, 2022 2:18 PM

Yea this building really is much more of a disappointment then realized now that I see it almost fully glassed up.... I mean you cant even notice the setback which was supposed to give some saving grace of architectural integrity ...its just another giant blue glass slab... This city gets obsessed with trends like no other...river north was all about the beige trend and giant parking podiums in 90's ...then someone finally got an idea to go glassier which was nice ...but now were stuck in the damn how many variations of blue glass trend for most part...For a city that used to pride itself on architecture we produce alot of bland monotony

thegoatman Oct 16, 2022 4:31 PM

atleast some architecturally unique stuff is still going on in the west loop

marothisu Oct 16, 2022 6:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegoatman (Post 9761981)
atleast some architecturally unique stuff is still going on in the west loop

Salesforce Tower is not in West Loop.

gebs Oct 17, 2022 2:31 PM

I love seeing a lot of the architecture nerds on this forum attending Open House Chicago sites. The photography is also appreciated!

UrbanDweller98 Oct 17, 2022 2:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marothisu (Post 9762049)
Salesforce Tower is not in West Loop.

I'm pretty sure he was responding to chicubs111's comments on the trend of blue-glass towers in the city by saying that at least the West Loop's new towers are architecturally unique, not that Salesforce is in the West Loop

thegoatman Oct 17, 2022 3:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanDweller98 (Post 9762568)
I'm pretty sure he was responding to chicubs111's comments on the trend of blue-glass towers in the city by saying that at least the West Loop's new towers are architecturally unique, not that Salesforce is in the West Loop

Yes

donnie Oct 19, 2022 4:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker (Post 9761700)
Saw this view from Fulton East as well (will post my pics soon). Btw the view in person is mind blowing.

Initially they seemed a bit clumsy and bland with the four kind of unnaturally similar and aligned together, but honestly in person it works really well. These make the Loop look rather imposing from Fulton - obviously much more than before they were built. The scale doesn't translate well in the photos. It has a weirdly signature look.

I'm going witth the Four Horsemen of the Windy City.

The 4 Horseman of the Metropolis!
done, and done!:notacrook:

I think with time people will learn to love this tower, ok appreciate!

rivernorthlurker Oct 19, 2022 6:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnie (Post 9765348)
The 4 Horseman of the Metropolis!
done, and done!:notacrook:

Ok I just got this. That's pretty good :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnie (Post 9765348)
I think with time people will learn to love this tower, ok appreciate!

The multifloor lobby and the promenade will be tremendous. And the building will probably will be stellar at night too. It's the form that's lacking. But I'm over it.

Hudson11 Oct 21, 2022 3:38 AM

this angle just adds another reason why this should have had some more height...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...ae541b56_h.jpg
Looking north from the BMO Building by Jacob G., on Flickr

bhawk66 Oct 21, 2022 6:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toasty Joe (Post 9767535)
This is like the opposite of cheerleader effect

Thanks for making me look that term up. lol

Chi-Sky21 Oct 22, 2022 12:15 AM

That set back at the top should have gone to the full current height, THEN have mechanicals.

SolarWind Oct 28, 2022 9:38 PM

October 27, 2022












rivernorthlurker Oct 28, 2022 10:40 PM

Finally a shot where you can see a bit of the setback depth.

The problem with the design isn't so much the poor form of the building as the fact that it lies so perfectly perpendicular to the most common viewing angles. If it were oriented more at an angle I think you could see/appreciate the setbacks more readily.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolarWind (Post 9775375)
October 27, 2022



takascar Oct 29, 2022 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker (Post 9775444)
Finally a shot where you can see a bit of the setback depth.

The problem with the design isn't so much the poor form of the building as the fact that it lies so perfectly perpendicular to the most common viewing angles. If it were oriented more at an angle I think you could see/appreciate the setbacks more readily.

The last panels of glass seem to be taking forever - bet its still supply chain issues. They are also taking time putting the cladding on the steel beams at the base. Probably same issue.

Anyone know when Salesforce / other tenants will start to move in?

dewbs Oct 29, 2022 2:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by takascar (Post 9775521)
The last panels of glass seem to be taking forever - bet its still supply chain issues. They are also taking time putting the cladding on the steel beams at the base. Probably same issue.

Anyone know when Salesforce / other tenants will start to move in?

I've heard 2024q1.

gebs Oct 31, 2022 2:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolarWind (Post 9775375)
October 27, 2022

Love the reflection of Wolf Point East in this shot.

Tombstoner Oct 31, 2022 8:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker (Post 9775444)

The problem with the design isn't so much the poor form of the building as the fact that it lies so perfectly perpendicular to the most common viewing angles. If it were oriented more at an angle I think you could see/appreciate the setbacks more readily.

This is how I feel about One Chicago. From direct north and south angles it looks so blah.

r18tdi Nov 1, 2022 2:27 PM

Anyone here an ULI member and under 35?
They're doing an on-site event/tour of Salesforce Tower one week from today:

https://chicago.uli.org/events/detai...-0213C6278797/


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.