SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   CHICAGO | Salesforce Tower | 850 FT | 60 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217949)

dewbs Dec 30, 2021 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker (Post 9489181)
I think the number of floors is supposed to be the same, just slightly higher ceilings. So 5' height increase on average across 3 floors = 15'.

Here's a photo from yesterday:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw...-no?authuser=0

Counting up from the mechanical floors, 58 has the smaller opening to the elevators, consistent with that being mechanical on the stacking plan with just one elevator bank.

In terms of extra height, if the stacking plan was to scale, then 51 looks to me like it got significantly extended.

rivernorthlurker Dec 30, 2021 1:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewbs (Post 9489204)
Here's a photo from yesterday:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw...-no?authuser=0

Counting up from the mechanical floors, 58 has the smaller opening to the elevators, consistent with that being mechanical on the stacking plan with just one elevator bank.

In terms of extra height, if the stacking plan was to scale, then 51 looks to me like it got significantly extended.

Thx for pic. Yeah 51 got extended but 50 got shortened. The first setback was originally between 50 to 51 and they changed that from 51 to 52 I believe. It's hard to tell if those new floors 52 and 53 are set back from 51 but I think someone said earlier they are. Those other floors 52 and 53 do look a little larger as well compared to 47 and 48 so maybe some height was added to those too.

Hard to eyeball from photos from the river against number of pixels on a schematic - but here at SSP our speculative abilities know no limits. :)

Additionally it seems that Floor 57 will be the 'Ohana Floor" I'm assuming?

Quote:

An events penthouse
Rather than a penthouse, an events space — or “Ohana floor” — will occupy the top floor of Salesforce’s Chicago tower. It will be the company’s sixth Ohana floor and feature what Schneider describes as a staffed “exposition kitchen” that offers 360-degree views of Chicago and Lake Michigan.

By day, the Ohana floor will host employee events and meetings with clients. After hours and on weekends, though, it will be available free of charge to nonprofit organizations that want to book it for fundraising events. To date, Salesforce offerings like the Ohana rooms have helped charitable causes raise $5.1 million, according to Schneider.

Benioff has said this spirit of giving is the company’s “secret weapon.”

“By integrating philanthropy into our business model our employees feel that they do much more than just work at our company.”
via https://www.builtinchicago.org/2019/...chicago-office

Gotta figure out a way to get up there when it's done ha.

Skyy Dec 31, 2021 3:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toasty Joe (Post 9489152)
is 835' accurate given the speculated floor bump?

Oh that's a good point. I will look into it and see if there are any new height figures. Will update article if so!

Skyy Dec 31, 2021 4:18 AM

Ok here’s what I came up with. Long story short I think it’s now 859 feet above Riverwalk with a height bump of 24 feet, give or take.

I lined up the old and new elevations so that they were roughly the same width/scale, then measured the height in Sketchup, using original elevation's height as the constant. Below is an overlay showing the possible discrepancy. I believe the Option A (height bump) one is correct, but just in case I mixed up the ground and riverwalk levels, I included a no-height-bump Option B:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...6b0129e6_k.jpg

rivernorthlurker Dec 31, 2021 4:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyy (Post 9489919)
Ok here’s what I came up with. Long story short I think it’s now 859 feet above Riverwalk, give or take.

I lined up the old and new elevations so that they were roughly the same width/scale, then measured the height in Sketchup, using original elevation's height as the constant. Below is an overlay showing the possible discrepancy. I believe the Option A (height bump) one is correct, but just in case I mixed up the ground and riverwalk levels, I included a no-height-bump Option B:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...c8a9de99_k.jpg

Wow - awesome work. Where are you getting the updated stacking plan from? Option A would be a 24' increase - more than I was expecting. 24' is not totally trivial.

Skyy Dec 31, 2021 4:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker (Post 9489923)
Wow - awesome work. Where are you getting the updated stacking plan from? Option A would be a 24' increase - more than I was expecting. 24' is not totally trivial.

Whoops meant 24'! Updated image above and including again here: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...6b0129e6_k.jpg

Skyy Dec 31, 2021 4:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker (Post 9489923)
Wow - awesome work. Where are you getting the updated stacking plan from? Option A would be a 24' increase - more than I was expecting. 24' is not totally trivial.

Also the "Old" elevation was latest shown in PD PDF: https://gisapps.chicago.gov/gisimage...g_pds/PD98.pdf

The "New" version with supposed height bump is the latest on the 333 website: https://www.333wolfpoint.com/wp-cont...cking-Plan.pdf

rivernorthlurker Dec 31, 2021 4:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyy (Post 9489926)
Also the "Old" elevation was latest shown in PD PDF: https://gisapps.chicago.gov/gisimage...g_pds/PD98.pdf

The "New" version with supposed height bump is the latest on the 333 website: https://www.333wolfpoint.com/wp-cont...cking-Plan.pdf

I'm pretty sure that pdf (second) is the old stacking plan. The url is from 02/2020 as well. It shows the old setback from 50 to 51 which is different than the current construction pics which shows the setback from 51 to 52 with 51 being the taller floor instead of 50.

Skyy Dec 31, 2021 4:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker (Post 9489930)
I'm pretty sure that pdf (second) is the old stacking plan. The url is from 02/2020 as well. It shows the old setback from 50 to 51 which is different than the current construction pics which shows the setback from 51 to 52 with 51 being the taller floor instead of 50.

Wow I need more coffee, I see what you're saying with the url - it would be outdated in that case. If I'm understanding correctly you're currently under the impression of three slight-floor bumps with 15' in added total height?

rivernorthlurker Dec 31, 2021 4:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyy (Post 9489934)
Wow I need more coffee, I see what you're saying with the url - it would be outdated in that case. If I'm understanding correctly you're currently under the impression of three slight-floor bumps with 15' in added total height?

Yeah, simply going off of

Quote:

Originally Posted by Briguy (Post 9480509)
So the final height will be about 15ft above published. Have this on good info. 3 floors with a extra couple feet each

and the observed changes based on photos.

Skyy Dec 31, 2021 5:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker (Post 9489939)
Yeah, simply going off of



and the observed changes based on photos.

Perfect, thank you! Updated article to mention this: https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/12/sal...n-project.html

rivernorthlurker Dec 31, 2021 7:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyy (Post 9489945)
Perfect, thank you! Updated article to mention this: https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/12/sal...n-project.html

Cool! :cheers:

urbanlife Dec 31, 2021 9:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 9489200)
But .... think of what we have lost

The parking



The natural river front


The view of the Holiday Inn !

Well done trying to sell what used to be on that site. I remember every time I would visit Chicago, I would be confused why such a big site on the river sat empty....or home to cars on a surface lot.

As for the natural shoreline, I am sure people can see things washed up on the shoreline further up the river.

Though those people in those towers do get to enjoy that sick view of the Holiday Inn. So that's a win.

chris08876 Dec 31, 2021 6:21 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FHcByl5W...jpg&name=large
Credit: gabriel x. michael

r18tdi Dec 31, 2021 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyy (Post 9489919)
Ok here’s what I came up with. Long story short I think it’s now 859 feet above Riverwalk with a height bump of 24 feet, give or take.

I lined up the old and new elevations so that they were roughly the same width/scale, then measured the height in Sketchup, using original elevation's height as the constant. Below is an overlay showing the possible discrepancy. I believe the Option A (height bump) one is correct, but just in case I mixed up the ground and riverwalk levels, I included a no-height-bump Option B:

That's some impressive pixel counting. As much as I would love to see a height bump here, Option B looks more likely to me since the exposed lower-level columns and other details at the base line up much better in that diagram (but not the ground floor, for some odd reason). I dunno. I suppose as reporter you could pick up the phone and give someone at Hines or Walsh a call if you want to end the speculation? Worth a shot, especially if you can get an exclusive story out of it.

rivernorthlurker Dec 31, 2021 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 9490268)

Loving how the Merchandise Mart Christmas lights are reflected in that little puddle, hehe.

rivernorthlurker Dec 31, 2021 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 9490424)
That's some impressive pixel counting. As much as I would love to see a height bump here, Option B looks more likely to me since the exposed lower-level columns and other details at the base line up much better in that diagram (but not the ground floor, for some odd reason). I dunno. I suppose as reporter you could pick up the phone and give someone at Hines or Walsh a call if you want to end the speculation? Worth a shot, especially if you can get an exclusive story out of it.

Yes this would be fantastic.

chris08876 Jan 1, 2022 12:14 AM

Apparently this Dec 31 shot is the last sunset for 2021 for Chicago. Thought it was pretty sweet.

A good year for the skyline I suppose. I almost kind of mistook One Chicago for the Vista tower for a second.

Saleforce is topped out I believe, right?

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...f0ed4da9b.jpeg
Credit: vashon_photo[/IMG]

harryc Jan 1, 2022 12:42 AM

Dec 30










rivernorthlurker Jan 1, 2022 2:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 9490488)
Apparently this Dec 31 shot is the last sunset for 2021 for Chicago. Thought it was pretty sweet.

A good year for the skyline I suppose. I almost kind of mistook One Chicago for the Vista tower for a second.

Saleforce is topped out I believe, right?

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...f0ed4da9b.jpeg
Credit: vashon_photo[/IMG]

Super photo - I may use it for my laptop background!

Salesforce has another 2 floors worth of height on the core I believe. Nice to know that it will be tall enough to have some impact on this vantage point.

Crazy that St Regis/OCS/Salesforce are all additions in the last 24 months to this skyline.

Any of 400 N Lakeshore/Site I/Tribune East would have a big impact on this view as well. Here's for hoping one of them gets going in 2022! :cool:


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.