SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina | Pubs and Restaurants (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212747)

BrutallyDishonest2 Nov 18, 2020 1:20 AM

I'm always happy for more local retail, but man I do I not get this sickly sweet expensive donut trend.

yveseluj Nov 18, 2020 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pappcam (Post 9108890)
More 4 dollar donuts?

Keep getting your donuts from Tim Horton’s if it isn’t your jam.

jigglysquishy Nov 18, 2020 2:28 PM

Country corner is Tim Hortons price, with amazingly high quality. They're simply the best donuts in town.

PhotoJim Nov 18, 2020 2:47 PM

A coworker brought Country Corner to work a few weeks ago. Their doughnuts are good (I'm not sure they're amazing, but they're at least as good as anywhere else's I've had) but their muffins are crazily good.

HomeInMyShoes Nov 18, 2020 3:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 9109734)
Country corner is Tim Hortons price, with amazingly high quality. They're simply the best donuts in town.

Yeah, they get my vote. Robin's is so hit and miss across the city, but the donuts at the one on the corner of Albert and Saskatchewan Drive are usually quite good.

aberrant Nov 18, 2020 3:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoJim (Post 9109764)
A coworker brought Country Corner to work a few weeks ago. Their doughnuts are good (I'm not sure they're amazing, but they're at least as good as anywhere else's I've had) but their muffins are crazily good.

Try a Country Corner donut side by side with a Tims or Robins donut... the difference is quite noticeable.

Festivus Nov 18, 2020 3:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aberrant (Post 9109801)
Try a Country Corner donut side by side with a Tims or Robins donut... the difference is quite noticeable.

I would say the same difference is noticeable between Country Corner and Hobo (or Everyday Kitchen's sourdough donuts). It's good to have options for every range of budget. Personally I don't eat donuts much at all (once or twice a year), so I don't mind spending $4 on one if it's a special treat and it's really good.

UPP Nov 18, 2020 5:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aberrant (Post 9109801)

I feel like I should do this and add in 1 or 2 from Hobo and at least 1 from Everyday Kitchen to be fair.

aberrant Nov 19, 2020 2:18 AM

For "gourmet" donuts, I personally prefer the Everyday Kitchen. They make sourdough donuts, so they are easier to digest, they have a natural tang to balance the sweetness, and they use less sugar and candy toppings.

I totally get why kids love Hobo Donuts, Carnival and others, and they do a great job of this style of donut, but even as a kid, I did not care for sprinkles and processed cookies and whatnot.

one_brick_at_a_time Nov 19, 2020 2:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aberrant (Post 9110625)
For "gourmet" donuts, I personally prefer the Everyday Kitchen. They make sourdough donuts, so they are easier to digest, they have a natural tang to balance the sweetness, and they use less sugar and candy toppings.

I totally get why kids love Hobo Donuts, Carnival and others, and they do a great job of this style of donut, but even as a kid, I did not care for sprinkles and processed cookies and whatnot.

Everyday Kitchen donuts are soooooo goood!!!

cityboy Nov 19, 2020 4:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time (Post 9110627)
Everyday Kitchen donuts are soooooo goood!!!

Can't wait for the new location to open, literally a block from my door!

CCF Nov 19, 2020 5:16 PM

Silvia's Italian Café now open in downtown Regina at 1820 Cornwall Street. If I'm correct, that's the legion building.

Draftsman Nov 19, 2020 6:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cityboy (Post 9111010)
Can't wait for the new location to open, literally a block from my door!

Where will the new location be located?

cityboy Nov 19, 2020 6:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draftsman (Post 9111167)
Where will the new location be located?

Buckingham at Woodland Grove in the new development in The Towns. Along with Dandy's Ice Cream and Mortice and Tenon!

Draftsman Nov 19, 2020 8:28 PM

:previous: Ahh, okay!

Thank you, cityboy!

jigglysquishy Nov 19, 2020 8:38 PM

Councilor Bresciani is behind this development.

cityboy Nov 19, 2020 9:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 9111345)

I believe it might actually be her son's development company, though not certain. The Winchester Group. There's also a gas station going up first, directly on the corner. Anybody know what branding it will be?

BrutallyDishonest2 Nov 20, 2020 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 9111345)

It's her husband's company. And they got the land through a no-bid offer with the city's development manager...

jigglysquishy Nov 20, 2020 12:46 AM

We all know that there is nothing fishy about a councilor's family walking into a multimillion dollar development after she was elected.

Festivus Nov 20, 2020 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 9111654)
It's her husband's company. And they got the land through a no-bid offer with the city's development manager...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 9111665)
We all know that there is nothing fishy about a councilor's family walking into a multimillion dollar development after she was elected.

The Bresciani family is deeply embedded into the city's political culture. They are also deeply entwined into the Regina Catholic School Board/Division, where many of the family has sat on the board, served as principal, teachers, etc. In fact, when the Regina Catholic Schools was looking to buy a new HQ a year or two ago (which was kiboshed by the Ministry of Education), there were some questions if the Brescianis were tied to the development...even though two of them sat on the board at the time.