SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   CHICAGO | 130 N Franklin | 751 FT | 51 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199537)

denizen467 May 25, 2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy (Post 5711921)

Ahh, I see, the separate lot across the alley to the north is part of the project. I guess they are under the same ownership now. Anyway, it's a bustle! And initially it seemed almost like a parking podium (obviously rare for office towers) but one of the streetside renders shows office lighting on those floors (maybe another conference center like at UBS Tower or extra-long "trading floors").

I guess we get this exciting design because it's not a vanity address (Wacker, LaSalle) and has a lot of blocked views on the lower floors, so the developer has to attract tenants some other way. That bodes well for 222 W Randolph someday.

I only wish the crown were a little more interesting; this will be an interesting tower only within a 1 block radius, and otherwise it will be kind of a dud on the skyline (even 155 N Wacker has a little dynamism to it, and it barely pokes into the skyline).

Neuman May 26, 2012 4:48 AM

It looks like the Spertus and the new Roosevelt University dormitory building had a baby...

It looks nice, could never figure out why they tore down the old Mercantile Exchange when I worked at 333 W. Wacker 10 years ago...

bnk May 26, 2012 5:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuman (Post 5713614)
It looks like the Spertus and the new Roosevelt University dormitory building had a baby...

It looks nice, could never figure out why they tore down the old Mercantile Exchange when I worked at 333 W. Wacker 10 years ago...

Well that would be a very large child considering the size of their parents.

I remember the term "we test the father not the husband", lol long story.

TallBob May 26, 2012 5:53 AM

Wish this one was a little taller.... Kind of "boxy". I'm kind of glad things are starting to look up a bit!!

ardecila May 26, 2012 7:38 AM

The crown I think does not need to be super-fancy... it would be nice if the crown mirrored the "skirt" of glass that encircles the lobby level, then lit up white at night. I don't mind it having a boxy top; in fact, I think it's awesome and very Chicagoan, city-of-broad-shoulders stuff.

Theoryg Jun 13, 2012 1:01 AM

Cant say anything bad about it in fact its handsome but it needs a little more height to impact the skyline a little atleast. The latest developments that are planned on average seem to function as filling gaps not advancing the cities skyline or visual imagery as a whole.

Tom Servo Jun 13, 2012 10:37 PM

Please God, let this be real. Let this happen. :D

ardecila Jun 14, 2012 12:20 AM

I also really love the little mid-rise annex. It's great when we get things like that which preserve a bit of open airspace in the Loop without resorting to parking lots. I also love seeing an architectural concept working on multiple scales. Reminds me of Lever House or Seagram or something... not too much of this style in Chicago for offices, especially in the last 10-20 years.

It will help define the south side of the John Buck plaza across the street and preserve morning and afternoon access to sunlight.

BraveNewWorld Jun 14, 2012 3:43 AM

When is this supposed to start construction ? Or has this been approved yet ?

xXSkyscraperDudeXx Jun 14, 2012 4:00 AM

I Like it. :tup:

jarta Jun 14, 2012 11:52 AM

"Ahh, I see, the separate lot across the alley to the north is part of the project. I guess they are under the same ownership now."

The lot across the alley to the north has also been owned by the Crown family interests for many, many years - just under another entity/holding company.

Ch.G, Ch.G Jun 14, 2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy (Post 5711921)

:slob:

ardecila, I totally agree about that "annex." Based on the above rendering, it appears as though it's meant to be an intersecting volume; there's a small portion that protrudes from the other side.

I really hope this happens. Our local talent deserves these opportunities, Krueck+Sexton especially.

emathias Jun 14, 2012 1:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 5712621)
Ahh, I see, the separate lot across the alley to the north is part of the project. I guess they are under the same ownership now. Anyway, it's a bustle! And initially it seemed almost like a parking podium (obviously rare for office towers) but one of the streetside renders shows office lighting on those floors (maybe another conference center like at UBS Tower or extra-long "trading floors").

It's at least partially a parking podium, for two reasons:

1) It would replace a parking lot, and there would be demand for parking.
2) If you look at the image of the north elevation, you can see that the west half of the "midrise" is higher than the east half, caused by a curving slope just like a parking garage would have.

Now, it appears to have some sort of retail in the bottom, so it's not *only* a parking podium, but it seems pretty obvious to me that at least one of its purposes is to hold parking.

Tom Servo Jun 14, 2012 7:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G (Post 5733823)
:slob:

I really hope this happens. Our local talent deserves these opportunities, Krueck+Sexton especially.

x10!!! YES. :yes:

This is easily the best prospect in Chicago if you ask me!
:thrasher::thrasher::thrasher:
http://www.ksarch.com/projects/130NF...es/image_2.jpg
ksarch.com

Can someone post [or re-post] a Tribune or Craig's report on this or something with detailed info? Also, will this occupy the eastern half of the block from Randolph to Washington? Never mind, it apparently will.

BVictor1 Jun 15, 2012 4:13 AM

I'd pull the office tower a bit further to the south and I'd place a skinny tower, possibly apartments on the northern end of the site.

I'd like to see a bit more texture to the tower.

BraveNewWorld Jun 15, 2012 5:08 AM

Could someone make a model of this and put it on Google earth ?

ardecila Jun 15, 2012 7:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 5733851)
If you look at the image of the north elevation, you can see that the west half of the "midrise" is higher than the east half, caused by a curving slope just like a parking garage would have.

Now, it appears to have some sort of retail in the bottom, so it's not *only* a parking podium, but it seems pretty obvious to me that at least one of its purposes is to hold parking.

There's a garage entrance to Washington visible on the south elevation.

I don't get your point about the slope, though. As far as I can tell, this has underground parking - the renderings very clearly show level floorplates and drop ceilings in the annex.

They probably won't do too much excavation - 1 or 2 levels of parking below-grade. Remember, offices provide very little parking - River Point has 1 space for every 4500sf (200 spaces overall, projected occupancy of 2500).

intrepidDesign Jun 15, 2012 4:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5735041)
There's a garage entrance to Washington visible on the south elevation.

I don't get your point about the slope, though. As far as I can tell, this has underground parking - the renderings very clearly show level floorplates and drop ceilings in the annex.

They probably won't do too much excavation - 1 or 2 levels of parking below-grade. Remember, offices provide very little parking - River Point has 1 space for every 4500sf (200 spaces overall, projected occupancy of 2500).

Looks like above ground parking to me

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/...gn/parking.jpg

::edit:: or is that the reflection of the cars on the street?

The Pimp Jun 15, 2012 4:59 PM

Love it!. I see many clues from the Spertus Building on Michigan Ave.

BraveNewWorld Jun 15, 2012 6:50 PM

When is the project supposed to get going ?