SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The pandemic was an extinction level event for the suburban office park (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251643)

iheartthed Jul 7, 2022 5:30 PM

The pandemic was an extinction level event for the suburban office park

Unsurprisingly, suburban office parks have struggled during the pandemic. Contrary to perception, suburban office parks have struggled more than commercial buildings in urban areas over this time:

Quote:

NY Times: Lonely Last Days in the Suburban Office Park

By Emily Badger
July 5, 2022

Today suburban office parks have drawn far less attention than downtown offices that are also threatened by remote work. But their decline reflects in some ways a more sweeping and permanent judgment — of once-dominant ideas about where Americans work, how the office should look, and what the suburbs should be. Many downtown offices, with the benefit of prime location, will need new facades and nicer interiors. Places that have been office parks will need a whole new identity.

“I call it The Great Repurposing,” said Douglas A. Kiersey Jr., who is in the business of repurposing last century’s land uses into today’s logistics hubs. The real estate investment management firm he runs, Dermody Properties, plans to buy the 232-acre Allstate headquarters in suburban Chicago and redevelop it into a warehouse complex. That property “sits at the intersection of two dynamic changes to our lives,” Mr. Kiersey said. “The first one: work from home. And the second one is e-commerce.”

(It also sits on the Illinois Tri-State Tollway, which is especially valuable if you want to deliver iPhone chargers to wealthy consumers across Chicago’s north suburbs in two hours or less.)

For its part, Allstate recently bought an office building in downtown Chicago, although for what it hasn’t announced yet. The company no longer needs the suburban headquarters it has had for 55 years, it said in a statement, because 75 percent of its employees now work remotely, and 24 percent split their time between remote and in-person work. At a company where most workers went into the office daily for decades, today 1 percent do.

There was a time early in the pandemic when it seemed that suburban office parks might emerge as the winners in a restructuring of work. They’re the perfect setting to do business for people who don’t want to get too close to one another, or to hold working lunches. And they stood to benefit from several early pandemic assumptions: that workers would shun elevator buildings, that people would flee cities, that density was over.

“Essentially none of those have played out,” said Christian Beaudoin, head of global research advisory for the commercial real estate firm Jones Lang LaSalle. In JLL data, vacancy rates in the first quarter of this year were higher for suburban offices than for the central business districts in Chicago, Charlotte, Detroit, Philadelphia, Tampa and Washington. The firm estimates that 57 percent of suburban office space nationwide is so old as to be functionally obsolete. In the New Jersey suburbs of New York, that figure is 72 percent, among the highest in the nation.

It is true that a growing number of people moved to the suburbs during the pandemic. But employers didn’t particularly follow them. That’s because it’s not all that helpful to have a suburban office for your suburban workers when those workers actually live in very different suburbs far away. If anything, as people have moved farther out — encouraged by less frequent commuting — downtown locations have actually become more important, said Arpit Gupta, a professor at the N.Y.U. Stern School of Business. Downtowns are still the most central, accessible location for a scattered work force.

The larger pandemic trend, documented by Mr. Gupta and others, is that companies have been downsizing into upgraded buildings. Sometimes those better buildings are downtown. Sometimes they’re in the suburbs. Seldom are they in secluded office parks built in the 1970s.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/05/u...fice-park.html

Crawford Jul 7, 2022 5:39 PM

Sprawl office parks were already dying pre-Covid.

But yeah, in the post-Covid era, there's no point to an office environment that's a bad, isolated version of your home office. And offices have to be central meeting points, or there's even less point to in-office work.

Most of these sprawl office parks were postwar CEOs moving to leafy suburbia and forcing everyone else to work in their backyard. 1950's-era WASP old guys move from Park Ave. to Westport, and drag the workers along. They were obsolete from the beginning.

Yuri Jul 7, 2022 5:42 PM

Good riddance. One of the worse urban built forms ever.

Let's hope they make room for dense housing with improvements on the street layout.

jmecklenborg Jul 7, 2022 5:48 PM

Prediction: in 5 years they'll be back to full occupancy.

Crawford Jul 7, 2022 6:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmecklenborg (Post 9670077)

RE developers and landowners are valuing such properties as basically worthless. They're considered raw land for redevelopment, essentially. I don't think you'll find a RE developer in America who believes sprawl office will recover, much less "full occupancy" (which hasn't occurred in decades).

If the structures are kept they're usually renovated into medical facilities or college extensions. But in areas where the NIMBYs can be overcome, they're being mass-demolished into other uses. Apartment complexes, fitness centers, grocery superstores, etc. They're finished.

jbermingham123 Jul 7, 2022 6:17 PM

I called this two years ago

much better to have a small, high quality downtown office and have 80% of your employees work remotely on any given day than have a massive lower quality building in the suburbs and insist on 100% in person work

Yuri Jul 7, 2022 6:25 PM

Quote:

Do you believe that or do you want that? If it's the latter, why do you like this built form?

TWAK Jul 7, 2022 6:27 PM

Quote:

Bulldozed and replaced with SFH, apartments, condos, parks, ect.

jmecklenborg Jul 7, 2022 6:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 9670084)
RE developers and landowners are valuing such properties as basically worthless. They're considered raw land for redevelopment, essentially. I don't think you'll find a RE developer in America who believes sprawl office will recover, much less "full occupancy" (which hasn't occurred in decades).

I'm old enough to have seen many things go in the complete opposite direction of the predictions of experts.

austlar1 Jul 7, 2022 6:46 PM

The highest suburban office vacancy rates in Austin are between 15% and 25% in a couple of sub-markets (SW, NW, and East), but further out in places like Round Rock or Cedar Park, the vacancy rates are under 10%. The office park remains quite viable in the Austin area for the time being. Meanwhile there is significant (roughly 3 million square feet of new building) office construction downtown where the Class A vacancy rate is around 15%, a number likely to increase as new product hits the market in the midst of a looming recession.

10023 Jul 7, 2022 7:47 PM

It would be great if this were true, but I don’t think it is.

Crawford Jul 7, 2022 7:50 PM

It would be true even if the pandemic had never occurred. But hybrid work makes it imperative that offices don't completely suck, and have metropolitan-wide access.

Of course there will always be some demand for cheap suburban office space for local attorneys, accountants, wealth advisors and the like.

craigs Jul 8, 2022 1:43 AM

From where did this "extinction level event" title come? That is not the title used for the Times article, nor is it used by the other outlets that carried the same story.

The North One Jul 8, 2022 2:29 AM

Rest in piss.

sopas ej Jul 8, 2022 5:43 AM

It's funny, because after I saw this thread, it made me think of this story I read about a month ago:

High Rises Are Out, Campuses Are In as L.A. Office Real Estate Market Recovers

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/wp...1&h=383&crop=1
Hackman Capital Partners’ 888 Douglas St., where Beyond Meat is a tenant, occupies 30 acres in El Segundo. COURTESY OF CBRE

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/wp...022.jpg?w=1000
The three-building Water’s Edge campus in Playa Vista, located near the L.A. offices of Facebook and Google. COURTESY OF CBRE

But I guess these particular "campuses" aren't exurban suburban office parks.

ilcapo Jul 8, 2022 6:50 AM

Apart from its usual design, i have no problem with the suburban office parks.

I mean, the fewer cars downtown the better.

iheartthed Jul 8, 2022 4:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigs (Post 9670500)
From where did this "extinction level event" title come? That is not the title used for the Times article, nor is it used by the other outlets that carried the same story.

I've got more where that came from if you're looking for copywriting services.

Crawford Jul 8, 2022 4:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilcapo (Post 9670644)

I mean, the fewer cars downtown the better.

A downtown lacking congestion is a failed downtown.

pdxtex Jul 8, 2022 6:22 PM

Wfh is the equivalent of having a pen pal. At some point you'll want to meet in real life! Hybrid is here to stay but as urban tax revenue dwindles I think we'll see a change of heart. Its going to take a few big fortune 500 companies to get the ball rolling. Corporate America is still in nice mode because people are still covid shy. I see business savvy governors are not getting jumpy about mask mandates yet. Declare those and the office is truly dead. Right now its just mostly dead, which is slightly alive!

LAsam Jul 8, 2022 6:28 PM

Quote:

If you're right, real estate firms buying office at today's cap rates will have returns through the roof! Would you be confident enough in your prediction to invest in an office REIT today?