SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | NEMA Chicago | 896 FT | 81 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218570)

i_am_hydrogen Aug 27, 2018 2:52 PM

Nice shots, Solar. I really like how this one is turning out.

maru2501 Aug 27, 2018 3:00 PM

well damn. I wish you'd had a view coming in

Notyrview Aug 27, 2018 3:40 PM

Damn Homr nice shots. This thing pops from all the way up there.

kolchak Aug 27, 2018 4:44 PM

Very nice Southwest into Midway! Did you book the right side window for that flight?

Skyguy_7 Aug 27, 2018 7:28 PM

^On Southwest, you get to pick your seat. And I’m sure I’m not alone in saying I do exactly that! Haha. More often than not, if you’re flying into Midway, select the right side of the plane for skyline views. If you’re flying into O’hare, book a seat on the left side of the plane, as most days they land from the East.

PittsburghPA Aug 27, 2018 7:49 PM

HomrQT fantastic shots. This building is quickly becoming one of my favorites of this building cycle. Anyone have an idea of current height? Also when can we expect this bad boy to top out?

Last question, whats the reality the big brother gets built after construction is finished?

Exciting stuff!

The Lurker Aug 27, 2018 8:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PittsburghPA (Post 8295472)
HomrQT fantastic shots. This building is quickly becoming one of my favorites of this building cycle. Anyone have an idea of current height? Also when can we expect this bad boy to top out?

Last question, whats the reality the big brother gets built after construction is finished?

Exciting stuff!

It looks to be midway between the height of OMP & OMPW so I would say between 650 and 675 feet to the top of the core.

Don't quote me on this but I recall reading that Crescent Heights had sold the Roosevelt and Michigan lot. Can anyone confirm this?

Barrelfish Aug 27, 2018 8:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lurker (Post 8295570)
Don't quote me on this but I recall reading that Crescent Heights had sold the Roosevelt and Michigan lot. Can anyone confirm this?

Can't find anything on that, although they did sell the Park Michigan (SW corner of Roosevelt and Michigan) earlier this year.

Haven't able to find much news one way or the other on the second tower, other than that one rendering from a way back. I'm assuming they still own it and are planning on developing, but will wait to make a decision until they have a better idea of the economics of the current building. No reason to start now, and also no reason to cut bait on the parcel.

The Lurker Aug 27, 2018 9:12 PM

^That's probably the one I remember. Thanks for the clarification

left of center Aug 27, 2018 11:36 PM

Those right angles make OGP/NEMA seem very slick. The contrast of the smoky windows and white concrete is fantastic.

Any news on the crown? Last I remember hearing was that they were going to VE the big open air cube at the top.

BonoboZill4 Aug 27, 2018 11:52 PM

I believe that the VE claims were coming from the weird looking rendering that was being used by the 1000M sales team. I don't think anything has been confirmed on that from the Crescent Heights side

left of center Aug 28, 2018 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 (Post 8295788)
I believe that the VE claims were coming from the weird looking rendering that was being used by the 1000M sales team. I don't think anything has been confirmed on that from the Crescent Heights side

I certainly hope so. Holding out hope for it.

Steely Dan Aug 28, 2018 12:36 AM

^ I'm not convinced that the loss of the "open cube" crown would necessarily be a bad thing.

It's always seemed a touch too flamboyant for such a straight-forward "chicago" design, IMO.

left of center Aug 28, 2018 12:49 AM

I dunno, I think it gives the crown a "completed" look. And I wouldn't say its flamboyant, far from it in fact. It's as simple and straightforward as a crown can be, short of forgoing one for a flat roof.

It celebrates the very thing that makes Chicago great: a simple box. Perfect.

Notyrview Aug 28, 2018 2:35 AM

^I concur plus it could have some pretty snazzy lighting which the city needs more of. A queen this tall needs a crown.

left of center Aug 28, 2018 3:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notyrview (Post 8296009)
^I concur plus it could have some pretty snazzy lighting which the city needs more of. A queen this tall needs a crown.

Fully agree with this statement.

And yes, I understand that bright buildings at night are sadly massive bird cemeteries.

rlw777 Aug 28, 2018 3:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 8295771)
Those right angles make OGP/NEMA seem very slick. The contrast of the smoky windows and white concrete is fantastic.

Any news on the crown? Last I remember hearing was that they were going to VE the big open air cube at the top.

I thought that empty cube was removed from the renderings shortly after the initial announcement. I'm surprised anyone still thinks it's a part of the design. I would call it's removal a refinement not value engineering.

left of center Aug 28, 2018 3:55 AM

Any reason you might think that way? Simply wondering from a design point of view.

rlw777 Aug 28, 2018 4:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 8296095)
Any reason you might think that way? Simply wondering from a design point of view.

It's the only decoration on an otherwise functional building.

PittsburghPA Aug 28, 2018 4:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 8296095)
Any reason you might think that way? Simply wondering from a design point of view.

I think the removal of the cube skeleton is a downgrade of design. The building does a great job of tributing the bundled tube design without coping/stealing design elements. The cube was a great juxtaposition to the antenna of Sears. Just my opinion. Bummed to see it taken away.


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.