SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   List of US+Canada rail transit currently under construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198794)

Busy Bee Feb 6, 2019 12:14 AM

I'm not particularly thrilled by the predominance of the aerial infrastructure. I would have much rather seen a trenched system, but i'm positive the geologic/volcanic/seismic conditions of Hawaii had engineers scared to do anything below ground level. They made a college try at beautifying the concrete aeriel structure, but I find it quite hideous. It looks like something you'd see in the developing SE Asia and I'm not convinced it will at all age well. But that being said, to many who have never visited, many areas of Oahu aren't particularly pretty at ground level, so maybe it's not as much a negative aesthetic impact.

lrt's friend Feb 6, 2019 1:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkahHigh (Post 8462358)
Is it just me or does this project look like a huge elephant? Several stations in the middle of nowhere, unnecessarily elevated rail portions, a cost of $10 billion for 21 stations of which only 9 will open before 2025...

Sucks because I'm glad to see a city like Honolulu getting rail transit.

Isn't Montreal's REM very similar in design? But I get your point.

Metro-One Feb 6, 2019 2:22 AM

32 km of grade separated metro for 10 billion is that bad...

That is just over 300 million a KM.

The new 17km elevated Expo Line extension into Langley will be around 170 million per KM. (Metro Vancouver)

So not that bad for the US I guess.

I would also say that the closest comparison for the Honolulu project in NA would be Skytrain in Vancouver.

numble Feb 7, 2019 12:36 AM

I think you can add “Section 3” of the Los Angeles Purple Line to the list, as LA Metro has finally given the Notice to Proceed to the tunneling contractor on January 15, 2019, after months of delays from the federal government:
http://bit.ly/2WMz4Gz

Quote:

On January 15, Metro gave the Notice to Proceed for Frontier-Kemper/Tutor Perini (FKTP), a Joint Venture, to begin work on the subway tunnels in Section 3. Coordination between Metro and FKTP is underway, and tunneling is slated to begin in early 2020.

SkahHigh Feb 8, 2019 4:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrt's friend (Post 8462515)
Isn't Montreal's REM very similar in design? But I get your point.

Similar in technology but the implementation is different.

REM is about 40% at-grade and runs in a highway median (A10), alongside another one (A40) and on an existing rail ROW (Deux-Montagnes line). Apart from one station (South Shore Terminal), the project is built near currently populated areas and employment centers, with several TOD opportunities. It's also much less expensive than HART (this can be attributed to several factors including an existing tunnel through the Mount Royal) with a $6.4B pricetag for 67km and 26 stations.

Cirrus Feb 9, 2019 7:36 PM

Honolulu's issue is that it's an El Paso or Birmingham AL-sized urbanized area with the transit needs of a Seattle. They should have a Metro and it should be roughly along this corridor (though with fewer western stops and more eastern ones). But because it's a small city and because US infrastructure is way more expensive than it should be, they can't really afford it.

mousquet Feb 9, 2019 8:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirrus (Post 8467735)
But because it's a small city and because US infrastructure is way more expensive than it should be, they can't really afford it.

That's too bad... I've read complaints like this over and over again on here, and I can understand your frustration.
Maybe your construction corporations are too greedy for real.

That being said, in my country, the workforce has been underpaid, which ain't right either.
Causing another frustration, and serious social issues.

I guess there's something right in the middle, between you guys and us.

texcolo Feb 10, 2019 4:11 AM

jamesinclair Feb 11, 2019 3:48 PM

Honolulu also has the issue that theyre so isolated. That makes everything more expensive because it has to be shipped in. The price of some food items in their supermarkets are pretty shocking.

plutonicpanda Feb 14, 2019 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirrus (Post 8467735)
Honolulu's issue is that it's an El Paso or Birmingham AL-sized urbanized area with the transit needs of a Seattle. They should have a Metro and it should be roughly along this corridor (though with fewer western stops and more eastern ones). But because it's a small city and because US infrastructure is way more expensive than it should be, they can't really afford it.

This is precisely a situation where the feds need to take mass transit more seriously and fund it as we do freeways. Where cities can't pay for it yet the need exists, we as a country need to fund it for the greater good.

SIGSEGV Feb 25, 2019 9:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mousquet (Post 8467812)
I guess there's something right in the middle, between you guys and us.

Quebec?

Cirrus Apr 1, 2019 6:03 PM

Denver's 11-mile G line will open 4/26: http://www3.rtd-denver.com/elbert/ne...x.cfm?id=11689

lrt's friend Apr 2, 2019 5:26 PM

Wow! 9,000 passengers per day. That is incredibly low for higher order transit.

muertecaza Apr 3, 2019 6:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrt's friend (Post 8527404)
Wow! 9,000 passengers per day. That is incredibly low for higher order transit.

If they project low, next year they can say that ridership is "greatly exceeding projections."

Tcmetro Apr 27, 2019 3:16 AM

Denver's G Line opened today:

http://www3.rtd-denver.com/elbert/ne...x.cfm?id=11791

Cirrus Apr 29, 2019 4:03 PM

Denver's G line moved to complete.

Other openings to look forward to this spring or summer:
  • Phoenix Gilbert Rd LRT extension - opens May 18
  • Denver's Lone Tree LRT extension - opens May 19
  • Ottawa's Confederation line (no date yet but it should be spring/summer)
  • Waterloo's ION line (no date yet but it should be spring/summer)

Innsertnamehere May 9, 2019 1:21 PM

^ Waterloo’s LRT will open on June 21st, as announced yesterday.

Ottawa’s is apparently expected to open either right before or shortly after Canada Day (July 1st).

Ontario will go from 1 to 3 urban rail networks within a span of a few weeks.

Innsertnamehere May 10, 2019 11:02 AM

An excavator is on site and the property has been fenced off for the maintenance facility for the Finch West LRT in Toronto - it appears that construction has quietly begun.

MplsTodd May 10, 2019 4:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirrus (Post 8420337)
Given that article says "construction is slated to begin this winter," I'm going to hold off listing it for now. But please do update the thread when the situation changes. Thanks!

It doesn't look like Chef has given an update so I will.

Construction has been underway on the Southwest LRT line in the Twin Cities. Rails are scheduled to be delivered in the next week along the line.

https://metrocouncil.org/Transportat...PDATE-(2).aspx

Cirrus May 12, 2019 2:26 AM

OK thanks. Minneapolis SW line added to the construction list.

Denver & Phoenix have opening in about a week.