SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Pedestrian Mar 16, 2020 8:39 PM

Quote:

Bay Area authorities place strictest order in country: ‘Shelter in place,’ only essential businesses open in 6 counties
Erin Allday March 16, 2020 Updated: March 16, 2020 1:32 p.m.

Six Bay Area counties announced a “shelter in place” order for all residents on Monday — the strictest measure of its kind in the country — directing everyone to stay inside their homes and away from others as much as possible for the next three weeks as public health officials desperately try to curb the rapid spread of coronavirus across the region.

The directive begins at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday and involves San Francisco, Santa Clara, San Mateo, Marin, Contra Costa and Alameda counties — a combined population of more than 6.7 million. It is to stay in place until at least April 7. Three other Bay Area counties — Sonoma, Solano and Napa — were not immediately included.

The order falls just short of a full lockdown, which would forbid people from leaving their homes without explicit permission, and it wasn’t immediately clear how, or to what degree, it would be enforced. The order calls for the sheriff or chief of police to “ensure compliance.” In Italy and other places that have instituted lockdowns, travel outside the home has been restricted without permission and police have been ordering people back home if they don’t have a reason to be in public . . . .
https://www.sfchronicle.com/local-po...y-15135014.php

tdawg Mar 16, 2020 8:42 PM

I can't believe there are still going to be 4 Democratic primaries tomorrow. The smart thing to do would be to postpone all remaining primaries to a single day, preferably a Saturday, in a month or two. There's just too much panic out there to not affect results and turnout.

LosAngelesSportsFan Mar 16, 2020 8:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8863841)
Deteriorating is not the right description.

Everything is just shutting down. Like on hold.

The economy of March 16th is no different from the economy from 2 weeks ago in any objective measure.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/us-j...uary-2020.html

'Job growth smashes expectations"

We are pretty much going to lose a quarter or two due to quarantine but as soon as the Virus starts to die down or we get an idea of how the lifcycle is going to be we will bounce back quickly to the way it was before.

Actually this stock sell off and panic might have prevented a bigger and more general recession in the next 12-24 months. Like a pressure release.

you really, truly believe the bullshit you just spewed? lol

come on man, so many businesses are gonna go out of business over the next 4 to 6 months. EVERYTHING will be different. It will takes years to dig out of this hole. At this point, we should be hoping that were not in a global depression when this subsides and just a global recession.

LosAngelesSportsFan Mar 16, 2020 8:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8864005)
I really dont know what everyone keeps saying "should be doing"

Nobody seems to have any idea what "should" be happening besides way over the top impossible nationwide shut down, I think its just everyone liking to bitch.

Every country is struggling with this, most worse than the USA at the moment.

There really isnt much a government can actually do about this kind of an incident.

Really? Have you seen what South Korea did? EVERYONE should be doing that and the opposite of what the US has done. We havent tested, we dont have drive through testing, we havent isolated people and were not prepared for whats gonna happen in about 10 days.

Pedestrian Mar 16, 2020 9:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdawg (Post 8864036)
I can't believe there are still going to be 4 Democratic primaries tomorrow. The smart thing to do would be to postpone all remaining primaries to a single day, preferably a Saturday, in a month or two. There's just too much panic out there to not affect results and turnout.

The smart thing to do would be to conduct the elections--primary and November general if this isn't over by then--entirely by mail. I believe Washington State already conducts some elections that way.

10023 Mar 16, 2020 9:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8863835)
Among other reasons, the people who work there would have to wear rubber gloves and should be wearing face shields at least to protect themselves. Remember that the transmission of this disease is not so much by droplets (such as being coughed on) but by transmission from surfaces to hands to nose/mouth/eyes. So any server or bartender who touched the table, bar, utensils, dinnerware, glassware etc would have to be wearing PPE.

Same goes for customers. Sitting at a bar would be especially perilous but even individual tables would need to be wiped down with alcohol or bleach between customers.

I sat at the bar today. And your takeaway or delivery food is just as likely to have been contaminated.

10023 Mar 16, 2020 9:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8863879)
The problem is that the health care system will collapse.

But this didn't need to happen at all. All of these western governments that are suddenly playing defense had two months to mount a proactive response. All of this disruption to our daily lives is the result of inaction (and incompetence) for two months while we watched this spiral in Asia. A perfect example of why it didn't have to be this way is how South Korea was able to get their pretty large outbreak under control, and with an extremely lowest mortality rate. Compare that to Italy, where the mortality rate has been 10 times Korea's and the outbreak got out of control.

No, this is all overreaction to cover for the perceived lack of reaction.

Pedestrian Mar 16, 2020 9:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan (Post 8864052)
Really? Have you seen what South Korea did? EVERYONE should be doing that and the opposite of what the US has done. We havent tested, we dont have drive through testing, we havent isolated people and were not prepared for whats gonna happen in about 10 days.

To a growing extent we do have drive-through testing (and in the city, walk-in, because in SF lots of people don't have cars and there's a thread on Nextdoor of people b*tching about "drive-through" testing). It's beginning to happen and I think tests are effectively available to any who need them now. You may have to make a phone call or two to find out how to get one but it will quickly get easier.

As I just posted, the Bay Area is isolating people more severely than anywhere in the world except China, Korea included, has done. If LA hasn't done the same, call your mayor.

Pedestrian Mar 16, 2020 9:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8864059)

You better hope so because, as I posted yesterday (with sources), the UK apparently has only 5000 ventilators for ARD (acute respiratory distress) patients compared to 75,000 in the US and an order for 70,000 just placed by the German government (not sure how many they currently have), which represents an entire year's production by the principal German maker.

Obadno Mar 16, 2020 9:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan (Post 8864049)
you really, truly believe the bullshit you just spewed? lol

come on man, so many businesses are gonna go out of business over the next 4 to 6 months. EVERYTHING will be different. It will takes years to dig out of this hole. At this point, we should be hoping that were not in a global depression when this subsides and just a global recession.

You sound like you are in a panic.

I would recommend calming down.

Pedestrian Mar 16, 2020 9:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8864058)
I sat at the bar today. And your takeaway or delivery food is just as likely to have been contaminated.

There IS a risk in take-away anything (including the toilet paper you may still be able to order online in the UK but which is out of stock at all US sites). The person who packed the goodies in the box could be infected. But at the bar, the bar itself is more likely to have a surface coating of virus particles and they will be on your hands if you touched it. This is a much greater risk than the contents of a take-away container.

mrnyc Mar 16, 2020 9:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8863825)
Why? You can go to a restaurant without coughing sneezing on anyone (if you feel sick you should stay home anyway), shaking hands, etc.

This is all too much.

why? don't be such a clueless nitwit. you can be a carrier for a couple weeks and not know. this is common knowledge to everyone else by now. :rolleyes:

the problem is there isn't nearly enough testing up and running as of yet.

mrnyc Mar 16, 2020 9:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8864058)

well of course luckily for us all no one here believes anything you profess, but if that is true you are an imbecile. :koko:

and btw thats false about the food. food is not in as much danger of contamination.

uaarkson Mar 16, 2020 9:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8864059)

No, it isn’t.

Fresh Mar 16, 2020 9:47 PM

Pretty sure the traffic has actually got worse here in Sydney - the main street near my house was jammed since 6:30 this morning, but then i got on a train and it was nearly empty, so that explains it I suppose.

10023 Mar 16, 2020 10:17 PM

My gym has closed. This is fucked.

sopas ej Mar 16, 2020 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8864140)

Gyms are so unnecessary anyway. Just do burpees at home, and you're good.

dimondpark Mar 16, 2020 10:29 PM

The entire inner bay area(6.7M people) is in a mandatory "shelter in place" now until Apr 7th

Only essential services will be open.

Pedestrian Mar 16, 2020 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8864140)

Buy a Peleton. That's what they said to do on CNBC where all the other financier types hang.

volguus zildrohar Mar 16, 2020 11:08 PM

The Governor of Pennsylvania pulled the plug on pretty much everything and Philadelphia's mayor closed down all non-essential businesses until March 27th.

My job at Drexel University is now in question as all on-campus residents must vacate by next week and reslife is my department.

We'll see what's up.