SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

rsbear Mar 15, 2020 9:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsbear (Post 8862007)
Went to the Ralph's supermarket in Studio City (Los Angeles) this AM. Whereas the produce section was fully stocked on Wednesday, there were no fruits at all and veggies were almost all gone. No meat at the butcher area. I didn't look at the packaged meats. Almost all dairy gone. No milk. No eggs. Some bread. The processed meat section was nearly empty. I didn't bother looking for canned food. All healthy frozen food was gone. A good amount of crappy frozen food was available. I bought a large frozen lasagna.

24 hours after yesterday's trip to the local supermarket (see above) the entire produce section had been restocked (impressive), the dairy section had some inventory (I bought milk) and the packaged meat section was about 50% stocked (I bought a roast and some ground beef). Still no eggs and no bread whatsoever. Minimal canned goods available. I didn't bother looking for cleaning or paper products or healthy frozen food. I bought a frozen pizza - gotta have some fun!

urban_encounter Mar 15, 2020 9:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool maudit (Post 8862828)
I rented a cabin in the woods from Airbnb. Stockholm is but a memory.

That sounds so nice right now. I’m envious.

10023 Mar 15, 2020 9:33 PM

Quote:

If they shut restaurants and transport in London, I am going to Cornwall.

Acajack Mar 15, 2020 9:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8862887)
If they shut restaurants and transport in London, I am going to Cornwall.

Cornwall, Ontario or Cornwall, Prince Edward Island?

Crawford Mar 15, 2020 9:39 PM

The weekending places are packed right now. The Hamptons are supposedly busier than a Memorial Day weekend.

Centropolis Mar 15, 2020 10:35 PM

Quote:

stockholm syndrome

https://media0.giphy.com/media/4tQmuMGdah3B6/giphy.gif

montréaliste Mar 15, 2020 10:52 PM

Quote:

Didja bring someone nice enough to cross-contaminate?

photoLith Mar 15, 2020 10:55 PM

Ohio and Illinois have closed all bars and restaurants. I’m sure every state is not far behind from doing this. So it looks like no more going out to drink or eat after work or on the weekends.

10023 Mar 15, 2020 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 8862976)
Ohio and Illinois have closed all bars and restaurants. I’m sure every state is not far behind from doing this. So it looks like no more going out to drink or eat after work or on the weekends.

Ireland is ordering all the pubs closed from midnight. Ireland!

The last time the pubs in England were ordered closed was under Oliver Cromwell in the 1640s. And then there was a civil war.

montréaliste Mar 16, 2020 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8863042)
Ireland is ordering all the pubs closed from midnight. Ireland!

The last time the pubs in England were ordered closed was under Oliver Cromwell in the 1640s. And then there was a civil war.

Putting Cromwell and Ireland in the same sentence is culturally insensitive. lol

Acajack Mar 16, 2020 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montréaliste (Post 8862974)
Didja bring someone nice enough to cross-contaminate?

Of course he did. He is a kool... maudit... after all.

Acajack Mar 16, 2020 12:47 AM

Wow. Aerial views of expressways in Italy are just freaky. So deserted it looks like a CGI of a fictional city where no one lives.

montréaliste Mar 16, 2020 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8863094)
Of course he did. He is a kool... maudit... after all.

Tellement.

I trust his good judgement to lasso (figuratively speaking) a green-eyed platinum blonde for prolonged chess tournaments. There is a sanitary measure behind this thought.

Evo5Boise Mar 16, 2020 1:37 AM

Boise hasn't been too bad, yet, but I think this is just the beginning. We got our first confirmed case this last Friday. Talks of several school districts being cancelled is circulating, restaurants are taking a hit (I couldn't believe how dead Texas Roadhouse was. That place is ALWAYS packed here. Some restaurants offering 50% off your tab just to keep their employees working), and grocery stores are getting hit by the hoarders.

I'm sure this is just the start of the race. I work for the city and we have an all-hands on deck meeting tomorrow, so, I will be interested to see what comes out of it.

BG918 Mar 16, 2020 2:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 8862976)

Should’ve been doing this nationwide last week along with closing the airports and mass transit systems. This is just beginning and will continue to get worse because of our response. Wait and see what kind of panic ensues when the hospitals are overrun and thousands are dying across the country.

photoLith Mar 16, 2020 3:07 AM

^
PA just had all restaurants and bars close in the state.

Pedestrian Mar 16, 2020 3:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BG918 (Post 8863229)
Should’ve been doing this nationwide last week along with closing the airports and mass transit systems. This is just beginning and will continue to get worse because of our response. Wait and see what kind of panic ensues when the hospitals are overrun and thousands are dying across the country.

Kind of destroys the arguments most us have been making for mass transit to realize they can be totally shut down, leaving those utterly dependent on them (even to access medical care) stranded. This may not be the last rampaging virus as everything goes more and more global.

uaarkson Mar 16, 2020 3:24 AM

Economic conditions in the US are deteriorating rapidly. This is pretty scary.

SIGSEGV Mar 16, 2020 3:29 AM

Closing transit is not a good idea. People still need to go to the grocery and pharmacy or to work at the hospital...

Hopefully rush-hour transit will get less crowded by itself...

Pedestrian Mar 16, 2020 3:29 AM

Quote:

Early Sunday morning, New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell tweeted a picture of police cars with blue lights sweeping Bourbon Street, saying police will “enforce the ban on large gatherings all over the City.” It was hours after New Orleans reported its first death from the virus.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronav...=hp_lead_pos10

Now we’ve gone too far.