SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   CHICAGO | Salesforce Tower | 850 FT | 60 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217949)

tjp Aug 22, 2018 8:40 PM

:rock:

rlw777 Aug 22, 2018 8:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive (Post 8289960)
What does Saleforce mean by video wall?

Yeah that's my question. The image in my head when I read that was some giant times square like display at the confluence. I imagine if that's what they are asking for they're going to get a good ole Chicago "Go fuck yourself!" in response.

The Lurker Aug 22, 2018 8:44 PM

Oh shit. This is big...

the urban politician Aug 22, 2018 8:46 PM

Wow, this Salesforce news is tremendous! Lets hope the city moves this zoning forward.

I hope Salesforce is a tad negotiable on some of the things they are asking for, however

west-town-brad Aug 22, 2018 8:50 PM

"But there are still hurdles to clear as Salesforce negotiates with city officials as well as a venture of Houston-based developer Hines Interests and Joseph P. Kennedy Enterprises, which have proposed the Wolf Point office tower. Salesforce has asked the city for concessions including rights to put "extremely extensive" signage—including a "video wall"—on the exterior of the Wolf Point building, according to sources familiar with negotiations. The company also requested a $10 million property tax abatement, which city officials have balked at, sources said. Salesforce is also seeking exclusive use on certain occasions of park and related public way space around the Wolf Point site that is supposed to be used strictly for public purposes under terms of the Wolf Point master zoning agreement, according to a source."

Salesforce is only worth $100 Billion... Give them whatever they want.... jobs jobs jobs!

the urban politician Aug 22, 2018 8:51 PM

Jarta's view about to get even worse....

Mikemak27 Aug 22, 2018 8:58 PM

I though Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff was progressive? If so, why is he asking for a handout from a city that is crippled by billions in pension debt and who can’t afford to hire more police officers even with a surge in violent crimes and murders?

marothisu Aug 22, 2018 9:00 PM

A video board sounds tacky. I don't care which tower it is..I hope someone talks them down from that idea

Notyrview Aug 22, 2018 9:01 PM

Hell no don’t give them the property tax abatement. These tech companies are so greedy.

They can have the vanity video board.

lakeshoredrive Aug 22, 2018 9:26 PM

If Salesforce and the city/Kennedy come to an agreement, I wonder if the design will change? If it does, hopefully it’ll be over 1,000 foot ;)

woodrow Aug 22, 2018 9:31 PM

"Salesforce is also seeking exclusive use on certain occasions of park and related public way space around the Wolf Point site that is supposed to be used strictly for public purposes under terms of the Wolf Point master zoning agreement, according to a source."

No.

Tom In Chicago Aug 22, 2018 9:35 PM

The answers are as follows:

1) Salesforce will get their tax incentives
2) Salesforce will get exclusive use on certain occasions of park and related public way space around the Wolf Point site that is supposed to be used strictly for public purposes under terms of the Wolf Point master zoning agreement
3) Salesforce will get their video wall. . . whatever that means. . .

. . .

munchymunch Aug 22, 2018 10:04 PM

As much as I’d like a shiny new supertall on wolf point, salesforce can fuck off.

Notyrview Aug 22, 2018 10:19 PM

^+1

ardecila Aug 22, 2018 10:28 PM

Just playing devil’s advocate, but if Merchandise Mart can project imagery on the entire south face of their building, why not a video wall at Wolf Point South? I’m imagining something more Asian-megacity and less Times Square, probably with a sizable public art component. Would prefer a projection on Wolf Point instead of LED screen, but there’s no good place to put the projectors assuming Salesforce is targeting the east or south faces of the building.

A Salesforce sign at the top of the building would not bother me one bit. The riverwalk closures... not crazy about the idea in principle, but pragmatically Wolf Point's riverwalk will always be an isolated segment, there's no way to extend it north or east so it'll never be a transportation corridor or a major pedestrian/cycle route. That'll probably go on the west bank if anything.

Romero Aug 22, 2018 10:34 PM

Salesforce Building in SF

A video wall does not necessarily have to be near ground level. It could be on top of the building like their SF home office. If that is the case, then it could mean some additional height to WPS. Salesforce is still fine tuning the light show atop their SF building. Check the latest Forum / San Francisco P&C / Salesforce Building link for an update of what they be considering for WPS.

Skyguy_7 Aug 22, 2018 10:41 PM

^A video wall stop the tower could be their new MO. It was tastefully done in SF.

ardecila Aug 22, 2018 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romero (Post 8290097)
A video wall does not necessarily have to be near ground level. It could be on top of the building like their SF home office. If that is the case, then it could mean some additional height to WPS. Salesforce is still fine tuning the light show atop their SF building. Check the latest Forum / San Francisco P&C / Salesforce Building link for an update of what they be considering for WPS.

That's a good point. Salesforce and Cesar Pelli already teamed up for the SF tower, so this is almost certainly gonna be something similar. Which is okay with me, it's not even a "video wall" so much as a traditional lit crown that happens to be animated.

harryc Aug 22, 2018 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodrow (Post 8290034)
"Salesforce is also seeking exclusive use on certain occasions of park and related public way space around the Wolf Point site that is supposed to be used strictly for public purposes under terms of the Wolf Point master zoning agreement, according to a source."

No.

Yes - this is NOT the riverwalk - this is private property.
Just as 321 N Clark closed off the heavily used path on the north bank from time to time.

k1052 Aug 22, 2018 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 8290088)
Just playing devil’s advocate, but if Merchandise Mart can project imagery on the entire south face of their building, why not a video wall at Wolf Point South? I’m imagining something more Asian-megacity and less Times Square, probably with a sizable public art component. Would prefer a projection on Wolf Point instead of LED screen, but there’s no good place to put the projectors assuming Salesforce is targeting the east or south faces of the building.

A Salesforce sign at the top of the building would not bother me one bit. The riverwalk closures... not crazy about the idea in principle, but pragmatically Wolf Point's riverwalk will always be an isolated segment, there's no way to extend it north or east so it'll never be a transportation corridor or a major pedestrian/cycle route. That'll probably go on the west bank if anything.

This is pretty much where I come down. Most irritated by the tax abatement request honestly.